Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Feb 11, 2016 10:49 PM

Sep 2007
Not trying to stir anything up, but reading the constant complaints about how the anime pacing is garbage compared to the manga. It doesn't make much sense to me. The anime has been doing (roughly) one chapter per episode for the last few years.

This means every week you are either:
1) Reading for ~5 minutes.
2) Watching for ~15 minutes (actual episode length).

Neither of these things are that much time out of your week. I'm sure after One Piece is finished, we'll see an official "OnePace" type adaption, but right now, no matter what you choose you are limited to the same amount of content every single week for next to no time investment.

Personally, I prefer the anime. I think the anime pacing issues are exaggerated. It's more or less the same as any other 100+ episode anime. You get voices, sound effects, color, and animation (though crappy at times better than nothing).

Am I way off base here?
TyrindorFeb 12, 2016 12:25 AM
Feb 14, 2016 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
The issue is that the anime has to stretch the material to fill that 15 minutes, so even though it is the same material, one is appropriate for its length while the other is stretched beyond the appropriate length.

So the issue isn't how much content, but how that content is adapted for the medium it is presented in.

I'm an anime only watcher and I still think the anime is preferable to the manga because it adds so much, but I understand those who are tired of what Toei is doing to the anime.
I also think it is pointless to complain every week though. Either stop watching weekly to let episodes build up or stop watching completely and switch. Complaining changes nothing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Feb 14, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2013
You know a series is slow when it takes 7 minutes just to start! That's long enough to prepare a small meal and eat it!
Feb 14, 2016 12:06 PM

Mar 2015
RedRoseFring said:
The issue is that the anime has to stretch the material to fill that 15 minutes, so even though it is the same material, one is appropriate for its length while the other is stretched beyond the appropriate length.

So the issue isn't how much content, but how that content is adapted for the medium it is presented in.

I'm an anime only watcher and I still think the anime is preferable to the manga because it adds so much, but I understand those who are tired of what Toei is doing to the anime.
I also think it is pointless to complain every week though. Either stop watching weekly to let episodes build up or stop watching completely and switch. Complaining changes nothing.
This probably explains it perfectly
Feb 14, 2016 12:12 PM

Dec 2012
Tyrindor said:
Not trying to stir anything up, but reading the constant complaints about how the anime pacing is garbage compared to the manga. It doesn't make much sense to me. The anime has been doing (roughly) one chapter per episode for the last few years.

You just answered your question. The manga goes through the same content on less time, thus less stalling than the anime, hence better pacing.

For example if the manga had two panels where characters were running that would take less than 10 seconds out of your reading time and your experience of the work. But in the anime that running is adapted into a full minute. That makes it bad pacing.
Feb 14, 2016 12:45 PM

Oct 2013
tsudecimo said:
Tyrindor said:

You just answered your question. The manga goes through the same content on less time, thus less stalling than the anime, hence better pacing.

For example if the manga had two panels where characters were running that would take less than 10 seconds out of your reading time and your experience of the work. But in the anime that running is adapted into a full minute. That makes it bad pacing.

In the manga you just have a static image representing an action. For a person to recognize that action doesn't need basically any time. In anime that action is shown and that takes more time. Just because running in the manga took 10 seconds doesn't mean that running in the anime should too. In reality showing the running in 10 seconds would be the bad pacing.

If manga and anime time spend in content should be the exact same, than series that have 20 minutes of content would need to adapt 4 chapters to have good pacing. Though in fact a series with good pacing have around 2.5 to 3 chapters per episode in overall, and 3 normally forces some parts to be totally skipped.
Feb 14, 2016 12:50 PM

Dec 2012
I thought my point was extremely clear as I've literally stated the word ''stalling'' I compared 10secs to a 1 minute precisely because I've taken into account that it takes more time to animate movement, otherwise I would have said 10 seconds to 20 seconds, I'm not complaining about them not having the same time. But a more dragged out time in the anime. That's the point.

Not to mention there are still shots that are just paused, which is literally just stalling and nothing more, something Toei is infamous for.
Feb 14, 2016 3:19 PM
Dec 2014
I'm planing to put the anime on hold due to the pacing.Just I put it know or wait the end of this arc?
Feb 14, 2016 4:57 PM

Nov 2010
small44 said:
I'm planing to put the anime on hold due to the pacing.Just I put it know or wait the end of this arc?

Drop it and read the manga. That's the best solution there is.
Feb 16, 2016 11:03 AM

Jan 2014
small44 said:

Put it on hold now and come back at 20-30 episode intervals, or do it by arc.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Feb 16, 2016 12:17 PM
Nov 2015
tsudecimo said:
Tyrindor said:

I'm using this quote ^^ but is a reply to the whole thread.

I think the pacing is perfect except for the long as time it takes to actually get into the material (intro recap). Of course the Anime will be more time than the manga, seeing them running has to happen you can't just put a still image of them running.

5 min and 15 min aren't that much time per week...

You can watch the anime every week, drop the anime and watch whole arcs at a time, or simply switch to reading the manga every week as well.
Stein's Gate is the worst anime of all time.
Feb 16, 2016 12:21 PM
Jan 2016
One Piece is a whole lot more better when you marathon it every few months. If you watch it week by week while knowing the manga material then you are going to torture yourself.

I'm pretty fine with the pacing considering if we did fillers then the anime wouldn't even be at this point yet. My only main issue with the anime right now is that the impact of a lot of those big heavy attacks we've been seeing in the manga doesn't seem to be receiving the same feeling when in animated form.
Feb 27, 2016 2:48 PM
Nov 2015
SymphonySpring said:
One Piece is a whole lot more better when you marathon it every few months. If you watch it week by week while knowing the manga material then you are going to torture yourself.

I'm pretty fine with the pacing considering if we did fillers then the anime wouldn't even be at this point yet. My only main issue with the anime right now is that the impact of a lot of those big heavy attacks we've been seeing in the manga doesn't seem to be receiving the same feeling when in animated form.

Can't agree more but having a large arc finish like dressorosa which literally took over a year (100 eps, 1 ep per week) you can do the math. Some people won't want to wait and marathon that. I know Oda wants longer arcs (for purposes of the story and his wallet included) but 100 episodes seems like way too much.
Feb 27, 2016 8:30 PM

Apr 2011
You are misinformed. The pacing was an issue since water 7/enies lobby ended. Since the it had almost become water under the bridge and a practically established facts. See, most other series adapt several chapters into one episode. Anentire series into 13-26 episodes even. But peer series like naruto and bleach have it so several chapters = 1 episode. One Piece used to be like that but then became 1 chapter = 1 episode which is a third of the pace it should be.

But that's all established stuff we've dealt with for years. The inFlux of complaints during dressrosa were brought forth because of something you were seemingly misinformed about. Plenty of the episodes have had 2/3 of a chapter adapted and the order of the contents were switched too so that some of what was in the next chapter showed up while stuff from the previous cater was left for he next episode.

They also changed stuff in order to drag things out even more. So, pacing HAS been WORSE than it usually is.

Now, jut to clarify, not everyone had issues with the pacing to begin with. I mote than survived watching thriller and marinford weekly. But even I got frustrated with the post time skip anime pacing. To the extent that now I have to bulk watch, and this id coming from someone who had watched weekly for 5 or so years. It's disappointing.

Edit: I'm typing on my phone which I've actually never done to reply to a post before so sry bout spelling and grammar issues.
Feb 28, 2016 12:29 PM

Sep 2013
Bad quality and bad anime original moments to fill out the time.
You didn't notice it earlier arcs cause Toei still cared about quality back then, now they're pure lazy money grubbers.

Feb 28, 2016 5:58 PM

Sep 2011
ichii_1 said:
Bad quality and bad anime original moments to fill out the time.
You didn't notice it earlier arcs cause Toei still cared about quality back then, now they're pure lazy money grubbers.

This is sadly true. I've re-watched One Piece a couple of times (yes, crazy I know). The quality was pretty consistent and decent up until the end of Water 7. Something happened with the management of One Piece animation during Enies Lobby, not sure if they cut the budget or just started outsourcing most of the episodes to the Phillipines studio but the quality began to drop. Though I will say that most of Thriller Bark/Sabody was pretty damn good in terms of animation. They started adding a lot more padding between the episodes after Water 7. We also saw a drop in original fillers, stuff like Rainbow arc and G8. It's gotten to a new low in Dressrosa. I stopped watching the anime during the Zoro vs Pika fight, waiting till the arc ends before I continue. So I don't know how much worse it's gotten but I hope they at least put some effort into the
Mar 4, 2016 7:47 PM
Nov 2015
DarkAngelz said:
You are misinformed. The pacing was an issue since water 7/enies lobby ended. Since the it had almost become water under the bridge and a practically established facts. See, most other series adapt several chapters into one episode. Anentire series into 13-26 episodes even. But peer series like naruto and bleach have it so several chapters = 1 episode. One Piece used to be like that but then became 1 chapter = 1 episode which is a third of the pace it should be.

But that's all established stuff we've dealt with for years. The inFlux of complaints during dressrosa were brought forth because of something you were seemingly misinformed about. Plenty of the episodes have had 2/3 of a chapter adapted and the order of the contents were switched too so that some of what was in the next chapter showed up while stuff from the previous cater was left for he next episode.

They also changed stuff in order to drag things out even more. So, pacing HAS been WORSE than it usually is.

Now, jut to clarify, not everyone had issues with the pacing to begin with. I mote than survived watching thriller and marinford weekly. But even I got frustrated with the post time skip anime pacing. To the extent that now I have to bulk watch, and this id coming from someone who had watched weekly for 5 or so years. It's disappointing.

Edit: I'm typing on my phone which I've actually never done to reply to a post before so sry bout spelling and grammar issues.

So basically (since the anime is catching up to the manga) Toei would have to have fillers or keep this pace?
Mar 5, 2016 2:15 PM

Apr 2009
-----noname----- said:
DarkAngelz said:

So basically (since the anime is catching up to the manga) Toei would have to have fillers or keep this pace?

exactly.. you either have fillers or slow pacing both bleach and naruto had more fillers
Mar 5, 2016 4:07 PM

May 2015
Tyrindor said:

One of these things is faster than the other duh

ashfrliebertMar 5, 2016 4:10 PM
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Mar 5, 2016 7:47 PM
Nov 2015
AForgottenSoul said:
-----noname----- said:

exactly.. you either have fillers or slow pacing both bleach and naruto had more fillers

IMO slow pacing is better than fillers, fillers are annoying.
Mar 5, 2016 7:49 PM

Sep 2009
Well you see, in reality, you can read a manga exactly as fast as you want, so....
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Mar 6, 2016 6:02 PM

Jan 2014
-----noname----- said:
AForgottenSoul said:

Toei apparently agrees with you, but many others find it tiring.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 7, 2016 4:11 PM
Nov 2015
RedRoseFring said:
-----noname----- said:

Toei apparently agrees with you, but many others find it tiring.

Well it's either fillers or slow pacing. Do you like fillers? Also it's hard to have fillers when everything that is happening is in sudden sequence and a filler arc would make no sense especially with (spoiler to anime watchers only)

So basically they wouldn't do a filler arc w/o the full crew.
Mar 7, 2016 5:01 PM

Jan 2014
Funny how people complain about animation quality, yet when I watched Gear 4 sequence, I was amazed at how much the animation improved in terms of colouration, lighting, effects and what not. '-'
Mar 8, 2016 12:15 AM

Dec 2014
BGMaxie said:
Funny how people complain about animation quality, yet when I watched Gear 4 sequence, I was amazed at how much the animation improved in terms of colouration, lighting, effects and what not. '-'

The transformation of Gear 4th was handled by Naotoshi Shida, he has done with a few other scenes too. So of course it was top quality, after the transformation the animation went back to being crap. Then around the ending another good director picked it up and Culverin Canon looked quite good too. But the rest, honestly, wasn't what I wanted.
Thinking.....
Mar 8, 2016 7:49 AM

Apr 2011
As far as I know, One Piece has three teams. An A team, a B team, and a C team. A team works on the films, B team works on the specials, and C team on the weekly series. Most of the budget goes to the Movies and specials too. So, in terms of animation quality, itll only improve during film off season work, or that was the case before. This obviously wasnt the case in the first 400 episodes. I think this actually started when the films were started (w/ strong world). Then, the A team would go back to working on the weekly episodes, who knows if we will ever truly see them again... :/

Also, the anime is practically an inelastic good. At this point, whether the quality improves or doesnt, they dont get anything more so im assuming it's not cost effective to make it any better anyway.
Mar 8, 2016 9:05 PM

Jul 2007
Wow i can't actually believe someone created this topic lol well in that case, ill just post what i posted in the other topic then on here.

I honsetly think this is something that bothers most people that prefer to read the manga and are basing the anime off of the manga. Manga> anime is not always going to be the same, they obviously have to extend certain scenes.

Most people that watch the series with out any knowledge what so ever of the manga, i think would enjoy it more. People that nitpick on certain anime and manga comparison are usually always the people that are dissatisfied. Trust me i have been there my self many times and with how much anime i have watched or manga ive' read.

I can't tell you how enjoyable the classic series of rurouni kenshin was and yeah they dragged things on quite a whole lot in season 1 but its the material that matters and not like naruto's irrelevant and notorious filler material. If the material it self (even though its filler is comedic, or just all around entertaining to watch) then your interpretation of what your watching is justified differently.

If your a manga reader, your always deeply analyzing every scene because expectations are brutally high cause your concerned with how the anime will look in the manga or how the adaptation will be practically the same as the manga.

Im bout half way into the fishman island arc and people said that arc dragged. I honestly don't see why people say that. It focused great on establishing the kingdom, focused on world building and then there were some great comedy moments thrown in to spice things up a bit and then the whole conspiracy bout Fisher king started and from then on out it was a wild ride and has not let up yet. Its remained pretty consistent quality at least to me.

I watched the WB war arc, and i was really annoyed by how the fact that it dragged on and luffy was running on this endless treadmill. but why? Because i read the manga prior to it and it seemed like things were moving at a break neck speed in the manga. Looking back though it wasn't ALL that bad and i probably would of never really even noticed the differences had i not read the manga first.

People's impressions of certain things regarding anime and manga can be completely per-swayed depending upon rather you read the original source material first or just jump right into the anime.
ArtimesGamerMar 8, 2016 9:09 PM

Mar 8, 2016 10:19 PM

Apr 2013
just watch at 2.5x speed, pacing of the anime feels great at that speed imo
Mar 9, 2016 3:37 PM
Nov 2015
King_Oriax said:
just watch at 2.5x speed, pacing of the anime feels great at that speed imo

lol +1, luffy will sound like an adhd kid on redbull

BGMaxie said:

i thought this was about the pacing not animation quality?
Mar 11, 2016 10:51 AM

Jan 2014
-----noname----- said:

i thought this was about the pacing not animation quality?
Saw some people talking about it so I felt like throwing my own two cents into the table.
Mar 11, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2014
I saved up 30 episodes exeactly, and all I can say is that I've never been so frustrated with the pacing so much.

I did this so I can see the climax without having to wait weeks again, but they had to stop at the worst possible scene.. I should've waited 2 more weeks..
Mar 12, 2016 11:15 PM
Dec 2011
Long running anime is a huge mistake in the anime industry to begin with, since the author work pace almost impossible to extend the 1.5 chapter a week (and if they did it will bring stressful life which will lead to a hiatus).
The best solution in my opinion is to end the anime after dressrosa arc and then release 2-core a year(6 months = 24 episodes) no more and no less.
But unfortunately that would never happen since it deflects Toei and Oda "drag & milk" system.
That aside,
to be honest most manga readers have always been complaining and bitching about every minor detail in animes which gives me an impression that their opinions are mostly doubtful and not serious.

tiagraMar 14, 2016 3:57 AM
Mar 13, 2016 3:11 PM

Jan 2014
tiagra said:
Long running anime is a huge mistake in the anime industry to begin with, since the author work pace almost impossible to extend the 1.5 chapter a week (and if they did it will bring stressful life which will lead to a hiatus).
The best solution in my opinion is to end the anime after dressrosa arc and then release 2-core a year(6 months = 24 episodes) no more and no less.
But unfortunately that would never happen since it deflects Toei and Oda "drag & milk" system.
That aside,
to be honest most manga reader have always been complaining and bitching about every minor detail in animes which gives me an impression that their opinions are mostly doubtful and not serious.

Oda has no control over the anime, but I do agree that many manga readers just complain for the sake of complaining. Even if the anime was much better, they would complain about the things that didn't fit how they imagined them to be.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Mar 16, 2016 9:49 AM

Apr 2009
this is what i do

binge watch it ,, wait for 20 episodes to air then skip OP, End

its fine ;p
Mar 16, 2016 11:51 AM

Jan 2015
I just want Dressrosa to end or at least add more fighting scenes. The last few episodes have been people running away and barely any fighting. and it's over 100 episodes of Dressrosa.

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 371 Discussion

VK11 - Sep 21, 2008

42 by bakakisima »»
9 minutes ago

» The Essential Guide to watching One Piece

Nito-San - Nov 12, 2012

41 by Sch4n »»
34 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

45 by Mahendra496 »»
55 minutes ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 365 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Darkreaper70 - Aug 12, 2008

52 by shadow-Kirito »»
56 minutes ago

» My theory about the one piece

elops_ms - Yesterday

3 by elops_ms »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.