Forum Settings
Forums

Can taste in music correlate with intelligence?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 18, 2016 2:51 PM

Jan 2014
Lol. At least this crap was amusing.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Jan 18, 2016 2:58 PM

Oct 2012
oh this is the thread where I can dump my music recs

no money, no strength
but plenty of DREAMS!

the lyrics are a stroke of 天才 trust me

I'm really dumb deep inside.
I guess this is what OP meant.
fadesJan 18, 2016 3:13 PM

Jan 18, 2016 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
What kind of artists/genres do you like and how do they scale up against these results?

Well rock is right on my favorite number 4. That's not bad at all.

Do you think musical taste can have anything to do with how smart you are?

I don't really believe there is any real link between intelligence and music taste. It's fun to play around with it and think about though.

What do you think of these results?

Hmm..I was satisfied with my SAT scores but now I'm wondering if listening to Beethoven would've given me a Harvard-level score.
Jan 18, 2016 3:25 PM

Sep 2015
There is so much wrong with this study that I don't even know where to begin.

Whoever wasted their time doing this must have brain damage.

To answer the question though, I think it has correlation, however not directly. I think the eloquence of the artist and the context/theme of the song/lyrics has a minimal part to play, however music is so subjective that it's utterly impossible to make any sort of connection to intelligence whatsoever.

I think you might find a relation to personality types, from there you can make a connection to which personality types are more intelligent in which areas.

Besides this, you're swinging in the dark.

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Jan 18, 2016 3:31 PM

Mar 2012
SAT scores have been shown to correlate closely with income so I guess we know what rich kids listen to :-/
Mayuka said:

did you call

holier than thou bitch right here

last.fm

Jan 18, 2016 4:08 PM

Jun 2011
You've answered your own question in the title. They correlate, but that doesn't mean much. As learned in Psych 101, correlation =/= causation.

As for the SAT, scores will only fluctuate based on how much you want to get a good score on it. People who study early (middle school) might have been influenced by their parents in some way. Parents also have influence on music backgrounds such as piano and may have an acquired taste on things like classical music. If the same parents wanted to set a foundation on the student's musical tastes, the same could be said about the student's SAT score. Not always the case, of course, but is a hypothetical example.
Jan 18, 2016 5:07 PM

Mar 2008
The sample size is too small with that I think. Also SAT scores I do not believe to be good indicator of intelligence because you can study and cheat on SATs. Only thing I agree with on that chart is Lil Wayne being so low lol The tastes someone has in music is influenced by their life. Generally country attracts poor people and poor people are less educated so country listeners should have lower IQ. Hip-hop is a bit complicated as it depends on lyrical content but if they focus on money and ghettos in the lyrics then it will as well attract the poor and less educated. I've seen sources in the pat that say metal listeners of the more complicated genres tend to have more in common with classical music listeners so they may be of the higher intelligence level along with it however for genres like Nu-Metal and Grindcore the IQ will not be so high. Pop will probably have no real correlation unless its top ten stuff then you will see lower IQ. Alt rock will be more average IQ Id think and Indie will range from lower average to slightly higher average. Electronic dance music will vary greatly as it varies depending on genre. House will be average while trance is higher.
Jan 18, 2016 7:51 PM

Mar 2014
cumshotz said:
TornadoTheDragon said:

Well if you think an infant beating a stick on a pan randomly is music so be it. Music has to have some inherent structure in it. Otherwise its just random sounds imo.

Yeah metal is pretty good too. Not my favourite genre but still pretty good. Especially 80s metal imo.
well something technically being considered music doesn't imply any requirement for a certain level of quality.

I agree. But for something to be considered music it does have to some combination of sounds; that isn't just some random white noise. I mean I am sure you wouldn't consider static music. But if it used in a certain pattern with varying pitches it can become a tune.

Do you see what I am getting at?

xrockxz89 said:
TornadoTheDragon said:

Classical music is technically actually music. Since it has reasons to have beats & rhythms placed in a particular order to convey a particular message. Not like modern songs were you can put anything together & call it "art".

As for techno (not counting dubstep & stuff like that) its probably the closest thing to classical music we have in modern times.

When I think of techno, I actually think of just ravey electronic music like Dubstep, Trance, or Hardcore. EDM. I wouldn't classify all electronic music as techno. Some of it can be decently thought provoking, though I was mostly taking a jab at the fan base with my comment lol.

But yeah if you broaden the term then I agree, I mean listen to video game ost's, those are mostly electronic and they are very well composed.

Well Isn't EDM divided into 2 categories? Techno & trance. Than with varying sub categories like dubstep, psychedelic trance, vocal trance, etc.

Yeah that's cool. I was just inputting in my opinion on the matter.

Agreed. Some video game OSTs are simply brilliant. Some are gems in the rough. Like the OST of frozen synapse. If you haven't heard it, I would highly recommend that you check it out.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Jan 18, 2016 8:22 PM

May 2013
TornadoTheDragon said:
Like the OST of frozen synapse. If you haven't heard it, I would highly recommend that you check it out.

nice i'll check it out. i've mainly been listening to the nintendo ones but i switch it up. sometimes feels like i've listened to all the music on Youtube lol
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jan 18, 2016 8:23 PM

Mar 2014
No, most of mal likes rock from what I've seen and they are fucking idots
Eat Me
Jan 18, 2016 8:26 PM

Nov 2015
In my case this is oddly right lol. I listen to mostly Bob Dylan (ranked 8th), and my SAT scores were perfect ^.^
Jan 18, 2016 8:27 PM

Aug 2009
Kinda sad that jazz is ranked so low :( Nice to see Radio Head ranked relatively high though.

Yeah I think it's BS to be honest. My music taste has changed a lot over the years and I don't think it has anything to do with my intelligence.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Jan 18, 2016 8:34 PM
Feb 2014
truisms said:
SAT scores have been shown to correlate closely with income so I guess we know what rich kids listen to :-/

The data is also 7-8 years old so they're leaving out a lot of obvious names in terms of choices.

AmeryKr said:
In my case this is oddly right lol. I listen to mostly Bob Dylan (ranked 8th), and my SAT scores were perfect ^.^

Congratulations!
AqutanJan 18, 2016 8:37 PM
Jan 18, 2016 8:37 PM

Mar 2012
Nico- said:
truisms said:

The data is also 7-8 years old so they're leaving out a lot of obvious names in terms of choices.

Well yeah, I'm sure a lot has changed in terms of demographics since then... but it's not exactly rigorous enough to be called "data" either
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Jan 18, 2016 8:37 PM
Apr 2015
Not surprised Bob Marley is rated high.
Jan 18, 2016 8:39 PM
Feb 2014
truisms said:
Nico- said:

Well yeah, I'm sure a lot has changed in terms of demographics since then... but it's not exactly rigorous enough to be called "data" either

We seem to be in agreement.

I like how it's a good study of 2007-08 students, because I swear this is what kids listened to in those times, I was in middle school at the time and people would listen to these guys all the time. I had a horrible taste in music way back then though so I really don't remember much.
Jan 18, 2016 8:47 PM

Mar 2012
Nico- said:
truisms said:

We seem to be in agreement.

I like how it's a good study of 2007-08 students, because I swear this is what kids listened to in those times, I was in middle school at the time and people would listen to these guys all the time. I had a horrible taste in music way back then though so I really don't remember much.

Yeah. It's interesting seeing what completely fell off in terms of popularity
Mayuka said:

did you call

last.fm

Jan 18, 2016 9:32 PM

Mar 2014
xrockxz89 said:
TornadoTheDragon said:
Like the OST of frozen synapse. If you haven't heard it, I would highly recommend that you check it out.

nice i'll check it out. i've mainly been listening to the nintendo ones but i switch it up. sometimes feels like i've listened to all the music on Youtube lol

Yea Nintendo classics are great. They still get some good ones from time to time. But I think the ball has left their court. It seems to me that more multi-plat rpgs make better OSTs now; anyways.

True, after a while it does start sounding all the same.

> "i think Youtube is a pretty cool guy. eh sucks viacoms dick and doesn’t afraid of anything" - anon
Ban me plz
Jan 18, 2016 11:44 PM

May 2015
You base your 'intelligence' on SAT, which is already a huge flaw in your premise.

The SAT, from what I heard, is complete and total crap that measures nothing. It's just easy to measure people by it, so stupid people use it to gauge other people's intelligence.

First you need to prove the SAT means anything important.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

49 by MalchikRepaid »»
3 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

73 by MalchikRepaid »»
18 minutes ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

79 by dreamingneon »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill? ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

55 by dreamingneon »»
1 hour ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

48 by TheMechaManiac »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.