Forum Settings
Forums

[SPOILER-FREE] Official Zero no Kiseki + Ao no Kiseki Discussion Thread

New
Jan 13, 2016 2:25 PM

Mar 2015

Welcome to the Zero no Kiseki and Ao no Kiseki thread! Please remember to spoiler tag any major events and twists that occur in the duology for those who have not completed the games. Due to the nature of these two games, FC, SC and 3rd spoilers are allowed, but Sen no Kiseki spoilers aren't.

For example:

Please use the General Discussion thread for discussion up to SC without the use of spoiler tags if you wish to avoid 3rd spoilers.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 15, 2016 4:40 AM

Mar 2015
I'm at the prologue, and I'm supposed to be meeting someone at the police HQ for my first mission. As per Kiseki tradition though, I'm ignoring the main story and running around town instead.

First impressions:

-Estelle > Lloyd
-Lloyd is still interesting though, he's calm and calculating, which is always great to have
-Crossbell is awesome
-Reference to SC in the first five minutes of the game: this gunna be gud
-Randy: probs gonna be the Olivier of this game (though he probably can't out-badass Olivier after he went and challenged Osborne...)
-Ellie: waifu material
-New battle system of having to hit the monsters before battling is reminiscent of old JRPGs, but after FC and SC it took some time getting used to it
-That Black Moon shop thing looks suspicious af.
-Bracers are probably going to be a royal pain this time. Can't blame them though, considering Estelle is at Lv140s and I'm at Lv5...
Jan 15, 2016 6:58 AM

Apr 2013
OneTrueEmiya said:
I'm at the prologue, and I'm supposed to be meeting someone at the police HQ for my first mission. As per Kiseki tradition though, I'm ignoring the main story and running around town instead.

First impressions:

-Estelle > Lloyd
-Lloyd is still interesting though, he's calm and calculating, which is always great to have
-Crossbell is awesome
-Randy: probs gonna be the Olivier of this game (though he probably can't out-badass Olivier after he went and challenged Osborne...)
-New battle system of having to hit the monsters before battling is reminiscent of old JRPGs, but after FC and SC it took some time getting used to it
-Bracers are probably going to be a royal pain this time. Can't blame them though, considering Estelle is at Lv140s and I'm at Lv5...

I agree Estelle > Lloyd. I mean she is daughter of the sun after all. She steals the spotlight in Zero despite the fact that she isn't even the MC LOL.

And yeah, Crossbell is quite a change from Liberl. Way more modern and even have cars/cell phone, not to mention computers!!

Also in terms of pure badassery, Randy > Olivier. Olivier is a hunk but in terms of badassery, Randy is literally in a whole different dimension.

And I agree, Tio is a cutie but Ellie is the best waifu.
Feb 1, 2016 2:34 PM
Jan 2016
Finished Zero recently. Unlike FC,

It was also awesome to

The final boss was nowhere as difficult as SC's, nor was it anywhere near the intensity that the Leonhardt fights had back in Sora. I could even debuff the boss, which is almost laughable in terms of final boss difficulty.

Still, the final chapter as a whole did not disappoint, and Zero as a whole was thrilling from start to finish. Tying up some loose ends from 3rd as well as living up to the hype it built up from all those casual references to Crossbell in Sora didn't disappoint.

The characters are immersive, realistic and fun. Lloyd is a vastly different MC from Estelle, but that is in no way a bad thing. He's calmer, more analytical, but lacks her unique shining presence. Still, he is a great leader who often thinks one or two steps ahead of everyone. I won't go into the rest of the main cast because of spoilers, but all of them are memorable. In particular are Łazy and Randy, two characters who steal the spotlight in a couple of scenes, as well as a bubbly character that joins your department halfway through the game.

The music was top-notch as per usual, but it also arguably takes it up a notch too. From the normal battle BGM Get Over the Barrier to Inevitable Struggle to the final dungeon theme to The Will to Protect (which only plays once for some reason I simply cannot fathom), everything sounds as it should and more. Silver Will is still my favourite theme, but considering some of the BGM in Zero come close to dethroning it, that should be enough to show exactly how much I loved the music in this game.

If I had to nitpick a fault, it would have to be the new buffs/debuffs system. While it's good to not have buffs/debuffs last forever like in Sora, I find the Arts boost almost useless. Since it only lasts 3 turns, and casting an art takes 2, I essentially sacrifice 2 turns for one slightly more powerful art when I could just get delayed a but more and use the art twice. Enemies also have an inclination to waste turns with 0 delay once in a while, just to get rid of my debuffs.

Anyway, an easy 10/10, though by now that should be something I expect from every Kiseki game. The music, characters and plot all come together once again to deliver a fantastic work of art that is on par with the Sora games in almost every way. The setting is certainly darker than Liberl, and it doesn't exactly retain the magic and fantasy-like element Liberl had as a medieval empire. Even then, that is most certainly not a negative. The game never fails to make me chuckle at scenes or cry in emotional ones. Zero has made my Sora hangover far easier to nurse, and I hope to start on its sequel soon.
Champ_XFeb 1, 2016 2:38 PM
Sep 13, 2017 11:12 AM
Jun 2014
For a spoiler free thread this quickly ventured into spoiler territory.
Oct 21, 2017 2:50 PM

Dec 2010
hoopla123 said:
OneTrueEmiya said:

First impressions:

-Estelle > Lloyd
-Crossbell is awesome

I agree Estelle > Lloyd. I mean she is daughter of the sun after all. She steals the spotlight in Zero despite the fact that she isn't even the MC LOL.

And yeah, Crossbell is quite a change from Liberl. Way more modern and even have cars/cell phone, not to mention computers!!

Also in terms of pure badassery, Randy > Olivier. Olivier is a hunk but in terms of badassery, Randy is literally in a whole different dimension.

I think Estelle is the biggest Mary sue in the franchise people treat her like a goddess she says naive cliche stuff and is kind of stupid to a fault and every time in the game the characters and npc's praises her as if shes the best thing since slice bread thats our Estelle i want to vomit whenever one of the characters say that cringey line but i don't hate her she is just not in my top ten characters if you know what i mean
Dec 8, 2018 10:30 PM

Apr 2016
Finished the dulogy. My thoughts as I played the game are here. I thought that I'd wait to see if my thoughts on the duology had changed after I finished Ao (recency bias and all), but I feel the same way now as I did while playing the games.

TL;DR: it's great, but not the masterpiece the fandom makes it out to be. It fixes many of the issues I had with 'Sky's story and characters while also creating a lot of new problems that hold it back. I think people are willfully ignoring it's flaws and hiding behind the Crossbell duology so as to justify their dislike of the Cold Steel games, as relatively few people have managed to played them yet and thus cannot point out the contradictions in their claims.

That said, I'd strongly encourage anyone interested in the Crossbell games to play them, as I think that they are absolutely worth the time and effort. If you're interested in specifically Zero no Kiseki (as opposed to the series as a whole), you don't need to have played the previous games to enjoy Zero either. Hop right in.

hack5 said:
hoopla123 said:

I think Estelle is the biggest Mary sue in the franchise people treat her like a goddess she says naive cliche stuff and is kind of stupid to a fault and every time in the game the characters and npc's praises her as if shes the best thing since slice bread thats our Estelle i want to vomit whenever one of the characters say that cringey line but i don't hate her she is just not in my top ten characters if you know what i mean

I'd have to agree. While I didn't dislike Estelle, I was never invested in the character, nor convinced of her feats during the 'Sky story. She feels like a character with a lot of flash (ditzy, book dumb, explosive, bubbly) and little substance. I suppose her character arc is... becoming less prone to calling people idiots at the first provocation? (I'd also have to say that Lloyd also somewhat suffers from having a virtually non-existent character arc as well). As for her feats, they're rather incredible in retrospect. You can count the number of battles that she "loses" in the 'Sky trilogy on one hand, and she goes on to defeat a high number of warriors that the later games hype up to be "actually some of the strongest people alive", which makes the idea that she overcame anything significant rather laughable. Her remarkable victories are obfuscated by the fact that she finds herself leading a band of highly experienced fighters against said strong opponents, but that just raises even more questions. If your were to take the criticisms that the people of r/JRPG and r/Falcom tend to levy at Cold Steel and apply them to Estelle, you'd get this:

Trails in the Sky is just as much a wish-fulfillment powerfantasy as Cold Steel. You play as a 16 year old girl who is entrusted with a cool job as hero for hire/cop/bounty hunter/monster slayer without all of the paperwork and insurance fees that would come with such a job. She gets to wander around the world on a fantastical journey, leading a band of warriors who have far more experience than her, solving other people's problems and imposing her world view on everyone she comes into contact with, fights a world-spanning evil organization and defeats their most powerful agents, and returns home hailed as the hero of the country. Her dad is an almighty superman and she gets with the cool boy.

Let's not trick ourselves into thinking that we don't play games for escapism, but I find the notion that the writing some how took a nose dive to start pandering to people (as if that was a bad thing) with the Cold Steel games to be rather pretentious.
Dec 9, 2018 3:39 PM

Dec 2010
Valyrian1124 said:
Finished the dulogy. My thoughts as I played the game are here. I thought that I'd wait to see if my thoughts on the duology had changed after I finished Ao (recency bias and all), but I feel the same way now as I did while playing the games.

TL;DR: it's great, but not the masterpiece the fandom makes it out to be. It fixes many of the issues I had with 'Sky's story and characters while also creating a lot of new problems that hold it back. I think people are willfully ignoring it's flaws and hiding behind the Crossbell duology so as to justify their dislike of the Cold Steel games, as relatively few people have managed to played them yet and thus cannot point out the contradictions in their claims.

That said, I'd strongly encourage anyone interested in the Crossbell games to play them, as I think that they are absolutely worth the time and effort. If you're interested in specifically Zero no Kiseki (as opposed to the series as a whole), you don't need to have played the previous games to enjoy Zero either. Hop right in.

hack5 said:

I'd have to agree. While I didn't dislike Estelle, I was never invested in the character, nor convinced of her feats during the 'Sky story. She feels like a character with a lot of flash (ditzy, book dumb, explosive, bubbly) and little substance. I suppose her character arc is... becoming less prone to calling people idiots at the first provocation? (I'd also have to say that Lloyd also somewhat suffers from having a virtually non-existent character arc as well). As for her feats, they're rather incredible in retrospect. You can count the number of battles that she "loses" in the 'Sky trilogy on one hand, and she goes on to defeat a high number of warriors that the later games hype up to be "actually some of the strongest people alive", which makes the idea that she overcame anything significant rather laughable. Her remarkable victories are obfuscated by the fact that she finds herself leading a band of highly experienced fighters against said strong opponents, but that just raises even more questions. If your were to take the criticisms that the people of r/JRPG and r/Falcom tend to levy at Cold Steel and apply them to Estelle, you'd get this:

Trails in the Sky is just as much a wish-fulfillment powerfantasy as Cold Steel. You play as a 16 year old girl who is entrusted with a cool job as hero for hire/cop/bounty hunter/monster slayer without all of the paperwork and insurance fees that would come with such a job. She gets to wander around the world on a fantastical journey, leading a band of warriors who have far more experience than her, solving other people's problems and imposing her world view on everyone she comes into contact with, fights a world-spanning evil organization and defeats their most powerful agents, and returns home hailed as the hero of the country. Her dad is an almighty superman and she gets with the cool boy.

Let's not trick ourselves into thinking that we don't play games for escapism, but I find the notion that the writing some how took a nose dive to start pandering to people (as if that was a bad thing) with the Cold Steel games to be rather pretentious.

Nice I thought I was the only one who saw these faults,my biggest grip with Estelle is how the fans treat her as if she is the best MC in the world they look down on the ones who actually like Cold steel more I am one of those people I love Cold steel in sky there are really good characters an awesome plot but Estelle is my downfall for the Sky trilogy her dad is f-ing Chuck Norris,you have people more experience than her but they are like what you want to do Estelle and I am like what........aren't you an ace bracer why you asking her,but in cold steel they make you feel like your a part of class seven everyone contribute to the cause and Rean pulls you through as a leader should.I have to say Lloyd may be a little similar to Estelle but I am enjoying playing him more he is way more observant,intelligent and quick thinking and is not a Gary Stu give me characters like him ,Joshua,Kevin Oliver and Rean any day over a character who shouts out loud for stupid reasons,does not use Common sense,have to be spoon fed all the f-ing time.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Kiseki Series OST Appreciation Thread

Extra_Caster - Jan 14, 2016

3 by removed-user »»
Jan 12, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Do you read every little dialog?

Noboru - Sep 29, 2017

2 by Cybertron »»
May 22, 2018 6:05 AM

Sticky: » [SPOILER-FREE] Official Fan Translation Guide for Kiseki Games!

hoopla123 - Jan 13, 2016

24 by TheQuestion77 »»
Feb 5, 2018 9:58 PM

Poll: » About the area restrictions in the games

Noboru - Sep 29, 2017

0 by Noboru »»
Sep 29, 2017 10:11 AM

» Trails in the Sky the 3rd is out now!

Shrimperor - May 4, 2017

3 by thefreeloader »»
May 8, 2017 12:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.