Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 23, 2015 4:40 PM

Mar 2015
Sosunser said:
Yes enjoyment is important. Good things are more enjoyable than bad things though. There's also genre bias influencing enjoyment. Rating only by 'enjoyment' and implying nothing else matters is retarded, because enjoyment is just the endresult, not the reason why something is good.
well, result>manner TBH. that's life.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 23, 2015 4:40 PM

Jun 2015
Is enjoyment merely a bonus?

What? No. Why else would I watch something if I didn't enjoy it to at least some extent?
Oct 23, 2015 4:41 PM

Feb 2013
If I dont enjoy an anime its most likely I will end droping it.

Oct 23, 2015 4:42 PM

Apr 2011
People say enjoyment is all that matters, but for some(myself included) a show that's actually good is what makes it enjoyable.
Oct 23, 2015 4:43 PM

Feb 2010
absentminded said:
Sosunser said:
Yes enjoyment is important. Good things are more enjoyable than bad things though. There's also genre bias influencing enjoyment. Rating only by 'enjoyment' and implying nothing else matters is retarded, because enjoyment is just the endresult, not the reason why something is good.

manner?
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 23, 2015 4:45 PM

Mar 2015
Sosunser said:
absentminded said:
manner?
result>the way you get it result.
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Oct 23, 2015 4:45 PM

Oct 2012
I only watch anime to appease the satanic ghost man that haunts my soul so it doesn't matter.
Oct 23, 2015 4:52 PM

Feb 2010
absentminded said:
Sosunser said:
manner?

I see.
Well, it's debatable, but my point is that pretending that enjoyment can't be based on different things because it is the only thing that matters is retarded because there's obviously reasons for why something is enjoyable. Someone may enjoy something because they're biased, or because it is legitimately good, because of nostalgia or even because it's bad in a spectacular way. Now not everyone has to care about that in their ratings, but I can't stand it when people completely ignore that fact. You rate based on enjoyment only? Fine, but be aware that there are still reasons for why you enjoy something and that IS something that can be discussed and argued about on a different level than sheer enjoyment.
I probably regret this post by now.
Oct 23, 2015 5:05 PM

Mar 2015
Sosunser said:
absentminded said:
I see.
Well, it's debatable, but my point is that pretending that enjoyment can't be based on different things because it is the only thing that matters is retarded because there's obviously reasons for why something is enjoyable. Someone may enjoy something because they're biased, or because it is legitimately good, because of nostalgia or even because it's bad in a spectacular way. Now not everyone has to care about that in their ratings, but I can't stand it when people completely ignore that fact. You rate based on enjoyment only? Fine, but be aware that there are still reasons for why you enjoy something and that IS something that can be discussed and argued about on a different level than sheer enjoyment.
i actually agreed, reason why you enjoy something>enjoyment it self. enjoyment from me is outcome for every aspect in anime that entertain me and how the the final result of everything. can best part carry bad part? or bad part ruin every enjoyment i get before? i know it's mixed with overall, but overall is enjoyment + honest opinion for the anime quality it self for me. so rating by enjoyment is not bad as long you know the reason why and know the way it entertaining you. it's more honest rating TBH and trully represent your feelings about the series. but rating only based with enjoyment and ignoring anything other than it, like: "i like it, than it's good", "i dont care about what people said, i enjoy it, it's good" is kinda retard thou.
Oct 23, 2015 5:11 PM

Oct 2013
Niddy said:
People say enjoyment is all that matters, but for some(myself included) a show that's actually good is what makes it enjoyable.

Huh? Isn't that the case for everyone? Excluding "its so bad its good" type of enjoyment.
Oct 23, 2015 5:13 PM

Oct 2012
keragamming said:
Niddy said:

Huh? Isn't that the case for everyone? Excluding "its so bad its good" type of enjoyment.
That's just an excuse people make because they don't want to admit how good MD Geist is.
Oct 23, 2015 5:15 PM

Apr 2011
keragamming said:
Niddy said:

Not really, a lot of people enjoyed watching elfen lied for example, but they wouldn't say it's a good show.

Toei said:
keragamming said:

That's just an excuse people make because they don't want to admit how good MD Geist is.
Why haven't I seen this yet
Oct 23, 2015 5:24 PM

Oct 2012
Niddy said:
Toei said:
Just listen to the ost it's the best part.

Oct 23, 2015 5:25 PM

Feb 2015
keragamming said:
Niddy said:

Don't forget that saying you enjoy bad anime is stupid, because if you enjoyed it, it's good.
Oct 23, 2015 5:29 PM

Apr 2011
Toei said:
Niddy said:
Just listen to the ost it's the best part.

Oh man, I'm putting that on my playlist.~ Japanese 80's a best.
Oct 23, 2015 6:31 PM

Sep 2015
This isn't exactly easy to answer. Let's say that enjoyment is what moves me, but I stumbled across anime that I didn't exactly thought it was a blast, but there were many interesting and well done aspects impossible to ignore. NGE is the first example that comes to mind. It was an uneven anime to ME in terms of enjoyment, but I still cannot deny how well developed the characters were etc, etc.
Oct 24, 2015 2:31 AM

May 2015
Exowave said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
Enjoyment means nothing. What's enjoyment?

Enjoyment is the sum of all the anime's traits - characters, story, themes, structure, pacing, soundtrack, art style, animation. You don't rate on enjoyment. Enjoyment is simply the final conclusion. You enjoy based on how you evaluated the traits of the anime.

No you can rate on enjoyment even if you dont analyze nothing from what you watched(i dont do that though you would need to completely turn off your thoughts to do that), it is just personal internal feel you just cant lie about (or at least thats what i think real enjoyment comes from).

Pacing alone can make some series more enjoyable or less if it drags on forever .

We all analyze. That's how you decide what you enjoy or don't. Even 'this anime was fun because the girls were sexy" is a form of analysis.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Oct 24, 2015 4:22 AM
Mar 2014
I think OP is referring to the type of enjoyment you see in shows like Shokugeki no Soma.
Rinth said:
Every opinion is not equal. Some opinions are simply made out of shit.

nasuverse > your favorite anime
Oct 24, 2015 6:01 AM

Apr 2014
TheBrainintheJar said:

Enjoyment is the sum of all the anime's traits - characters, story, themes, structure, pacing, soundtrack, art style, animation. You don't rate on enjoyment. Enjoyment is simply the final conclusion. You enjoy based on how you evaluated the traits of the anime.

I don't know if you mean you enjoy reviewing/marking the show or you mean you enjoy watching it because it was good?

The guilty pleasure show arises from the notion that 6 is a bad score. They are shows that fall into the 5-7 score range, but if you gave it such a rating, then it's most likely accurate. Giving 5 to an anime means it's average with no good or significantly bad traits, so giving anything above 5 means it has something positive about it and is worth watching.

When I say some shows sound be rated purely on enjoyment, I mean shows that fall into the thriller, comedy, shounen/action and echi categories where enjoyment is literally the purpose. My original post states that enjoyment is not part of the marking criteria but rather enjoyment arises because a show is good. To simply put it, it means of marking rather than a component of the criteria.
Oct 24, 2015 8:13 AM

Aug 2015
BatoKusanagi said:
It all comes down to enjoyment in the end. Let's not lie to ourselves here, folks. So perhaps it's the most important thing.

Like everyone keeps saying :P, it's all about enjoyment ^_^. Why bother watch anime, if you don't enjoy it? :P

Oct 24, 2015 8:31 AM

Aug 2014
I don't enjoy anime cuz it sucks. There are a very few exceptions and exceptions prove the rule.
Oct 24, 2015 12:35 PM

May 2015
sadpwner said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

I don't know if you mean you enjoy reviewing/marking the show or you mean you enjoy watching it because it was good?

The guilty pleasure show arises from the notion that 6 is a bad score. They are shows that fall into the 5-7 score range, but if you gave it such a rating, then it's most likely accurate. Giving 5 to an anime means it's average with no good or significantly bad traits, so giving anything above 5 means it has something positive about it and is worth watching.

When I say some shows sound be rated purely on enjoyment, I mean shows that fall into the thriller, comedy, shounen/action and echi categories where enjoyment is literally the purpose. My original post states that enjoyment is not part of the marking criteria but rather enjoyment arises because a show is good. To simply put it, it means of marking rather than a component of the criteria.

I meant I enjoy watching a show because it is good. Why is it good differs from show to show. We all analyze what works, and that's why we prefer one show over another.

It doesn't have to be a deep philosophical analysis. You can analyze two ecchi shows, and explain how one show has better character design, funnier scenarios and better pacing while the other just has big tits and nothing sexy or fun about it.

Action scenes aren't entertaining because they have violence. Some have beautifully arranged scenes, others are just a mish-mash of bright lights and are boring.
Oct 24, 2015 12:47 PM

Jan 2011
I think you have the wrong title it should be
"Entertainment and anime"

because not all of us enjoy entertainment as much, some of us seek more than just entertainment.
Oct 24, 2015 6:53 PM
Apr 2014
keragamming said:
I'm going to ask you a legit question here. You gave black bullet a 1, I can't even tell from what you enjoy from what you don't enjoy since you don't include enjoyment in your ratings. -_- but let's assume you enjoy it, but you found the writing to be terrible, and basically everything about it is bad. So if you did found black bullet to be bad overall when you look at it critically, what was the source of your enjoyment then? And I'm talking about legit enjoyment, not the "it's so bad its good" excuse that folks use.

"For me, the combined elements of the show make enjoyment that is
plot+character+sound+art=overall≈enjoyment".
What's wrong with saying "it's so bad it's good"? It's a perfectly valid expression.
Oct 24, 2015 8:52 PM

Oct 2013
ShiroiMuffler said:

because not all of us enjoy entertainment as much, some of us seek more than just entertainment.

So you're telling me that whatever else you seek in anime, you don't find enjoyment out of? How is that possible? Could you elaborate more on this?

For eg. Astronomers gets enjoyment out of finding new things about solar system, the moon ect. People that study this field, are interested in it, they're fascinating by stuff like this, they get enjoyment out of making new discoveries.

FYI enjoyment comes from different shapes and sizes. You guys seem to have this mind set that enjoyment only means action and explosion. Not trying to look like a smart ass or anything. But sometimes I wonder if you guys think before typing.

@Gholy so I'm taking it that all the series you rated low, is because "its so bad its good?" if that's the case, its make more sense, because if some of those anime you did actually enjoy, but gave it a extreme low rating, then I would be puzzled.
keragammingOct 24, 2015 8:56 PM
Oct 24, 2015 9:02 PM

Jul 2015
Enjoyment is everything, I could never rate a show high if I didn't like it, even if I recognized it had redeemable qualities.
Oct 25, 2015 1:56 AM

May 2015
keragamming said:
ShiroiMuffler said:

So you're telling me that whatever else you seek in anime, you don't find enjoyment out of? How is that possible? Could you elaborate more on this?

For eg. Astronomers gets enjoyment out of finding new things about solar system, the moon ect. People that study this field, are interested in it, they're fascinating by stuff like this, they get enjoyment out of making new discoveries.

FYI enjoyment comes from different shapes and sizes. You guys seem to have this mind set that enjoyment only means action and explosion. Not trying to look like a smart ass or anything. But sometimes I wonder if you guys think before typing.

@Gholy so I'm taking it that all the series you rated low, is because "its so bad its good?" if that's the case, its make more sense, because if some of those anime you did actually enjoy, but gave it a extreme low rating, then I would be puzzled.

The guy speaks the truth. Entertainment doesn't mean it has to be stupid. I'm entertained by long and in-depth debates.

But even if the anime just wants to have action and comedy, there's still a way to do it. You can explain why one anime had better action than the other.

That said, I think it's legitimate to demand from my entertainment to not just give me instant gratification. It should be more than a way to kill time.
Oct 25, 2015 2:50 PM
Apr 2014
keragamming said:
A few of them were "so bad it's good", but that's not the case for the majority of my low-rated shows.
Oct 25, 2015 3:33 PM

Apr 2013
AltoRoark99 said:
Isn't enjoyment the main reason we watch anime?
Oct 26, 2015 6:22 AM

Jan 2011
keragamming said:
ShiroiMuffler said:

I said entertainment, not enjoyment, though my definition of entertainment could be wrong too, and no, I never implied entertainment is just action and explosion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - Apr 25

35 by ToastWithNutella »»
23 seconds ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

47 by ryzxgum »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there any specific setting or theme you’re biased to

nishant0 - 12 hours ago

13 by ToastWithNutella »»
2 minutes ago

» Visual Novels — General Thread

Shizuna - Today

37 by -YaoiBoy- »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are so many ecchi enjoyers overweight?

EverRealm - 8 hours ago

28 by Hikinekomori »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.