Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 10, 2015 9:49 PM

Sep 2013
Hello.

Do you need a windows tablet to run visual novels for PC, or can you somehow make them run on android/iOS?
Proud founder of the 20+ virgins club.

Please visit my manga blog for manga updates and more!

Mup da doo didda po mo muhfuggen bix nood

^ Need someone who can translate this. Pm me pls.
Aug 11, 2015 7:55 AM
Mar 2014
Not feasible on iOS, save for official apps, but it is possible on Android. Still, I wouldn't recommend playing them on mobile devices.
vegetablespiritAug 11, 2015 7:59 AM
Aug 11, 2015 8:38 AM

Apr 2015
Most VNs are on windows platform
but there's some good VNs on DS/Android too, but rare ;)
Aug 11, 2015 10:26 AM

Jul 2015
vodall said:
but it is possible on Android.

How? I remember stumbling upon a "converter" of sorts, but didn't actually get it to work. Think it was called VNDS or something like that.

vodall said:
Still, I wouldn't recommend playing them on mobile devices.

Why is that? VNs on a mobile device seems like a match made in heaven to me.

Minervalkyrie said:
but there's some good VNs on DS/Android too, but rare ;)
Care to share a few?

I tried playing Saya no Uta on my tablet while running it on my PC via Google's Remote Desktop app, but that's not really a good option. Maybe as a last resort if you're super dedicated, but it just feels clunky as shit.
Aug 11, 2015 12:45 PM

Apr 2015
Well most of the android ver. are still in Japanese language tho
Steins;Gate & Chaos;Head are good, Narcissu also good imo
for the DS ver, there's 999 and Ace Attorney
Aug 11, 2015 12:56 PM

Jan 2014
Technicalities (software limitation, etc.) make it difficult to run applications specifically made for Windows in mind on another platform. Because they use resources only Windows can provide, alongside a difference in processor architecture. Either it must be ported first to the platform (popular visual novels have started doing this on Android, AFAIK), or you use an emulator (like Wine on Linux, of sorts) of the script engines that most Visual Novels use, though I doubt one exist for Android and iOS.

Your best bet for mobility is a Windows Tablet/Hybrid (not ARM). Couple that with the release of Windows 10...

Aug 11, 2015 8:56 PM

Sep 2013
I see, thanks.

Has anyone tried running VNs on a windows tablet yet?

Aug 11, 2015 10:08 PM
Jul 2018
Shiratori99 said:
I see, thanks.

Yes, dirt cheap Windows 8.1 tablets have been extremely popular in the VN community since late 2013 when Intel began giving away Silvermont based Atom processors for free. VNs are 2D and text based so they don't require high performance hardware, as for resolution, you're looking at generally 800x600 or 1280x720, which all tablets these days meet. So just pick one with a preferred screen size.

There's lots to pick from, most range from $100 to $300. The HP Stream 7 sells for $99 on Amazon, Dell Venue 8 Pro for $120, Asus T100 with removable keyboard for $200, etc. (Not sure why the low end models in the United States use Z3735G instead of Z3735F which supports 2GB RAM). Keep in mind that aside from VNs, the hardware is enough for just lightweight browsing, videos, office software, and games like minecraft at best (4EU ~500MHz iGPU duh), so know what you're getting. If you'll also be using the tablet for more demanding software, consider the Surface 3 Pro or Core M based tablets (generally $500 and beyond). Anothing to note is that BayTrail-T supports emmc not SATA, so storage is limited to 32-64GB on most models, you'll need an external HDD to store the VNs if you have plenty. Also, you might want to buy one quick since Airmont based tablets are soon going to replace them and Intel isn't subsidizing this time.
Aug 11, 2015 10:20 PM

Sep 2013
edwd2 said:
Shiratori99 said:
I see, thanks.

Yes, dirt cheap Windows 8.1 tablets have been extremely popular in the VN community since late 2013 when Intel began giving away Silvermont based Atom processors for free. VNs are 2D and text based so they don't require high performance hardware, as for resolution, you're looking at generally 800x600 or 1280x720, which all tablets these days meet. So just pick one with a preferred screen size.

There's lots to pick from, most range from $100 to $300. The HP Stream 7 sells for $99 on Amazon, Dell Venue 8 Pro for $120, Asus T100 with removable keyboard for $200, etc. (Not sure why the low end models in the United States use Z3735G instead of Z3735F which supports 2GB RAM). Keep in mind that aside from VNs, the hardware is enough for just lightweight browsing, videos, office software, and games like minecraft at best (4EU ~500MHz iGPU duh), so know what you're getting. If you'll also be using the tablet for more demanding software, consider the Surface 3 Pro or Core M based tablets (generally $500 and beyond). Anothing to note is that BayTrail-T supports emmc not SATA, so storage is limited to 32-64GB on most models, you'll need an external HDD to store the VNs if you have plenty. Also, you might want to buy one quick since Airmont based tablets are soon going to replace them and Intel isn't subsidizing this time.

Very helpful, thanks!

edwd2 said:

Also, you might want to buy one quick since Airmont based tablets are soon going to replace them and Intel isn't subsidizing this time.

So that basically means they're getting more expensive?

Aug 12, 2015 3:27 AM
May 2009
Easist way would be to get a windows surface tablet I would presume no?
Aug 12, 2015 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Shiratori99 said:

So that basically means they're getting more expensive?

we expect the very cheap low end models to be discontinued as the market moves towards a slightly higher price point, since the z8300/8500 will definitely be a greater cost than its last gen counterparts. in short, performance will increase and so will price.
Aug 15, 2015 12:16 AM

Jun 2011
I have a Windows tablet that I purchased for work. It's performance is even better than Android's(I used to have a shitty Chinese tablet that lagged). The only downside is that it's appstore is shit. It's not that bad for gaming too, you can play PPSSPP at full speed and PCSX2 at a decent speed. Ofc you will need to download Virtual gamepad. Steam games also work like a charm from indie/2D games to Half Life 2.

If you are considering Windows tablet. Just don't Install Windows 10 yet. That shit is a mess on tablets. The touch interface is too fucking small on 10, so I had to rollback.

As for VNS' read this.

http://rockmandash12.kinja.com/rockmandashs-guide-to-visual-novels-on-the-go-1686233801
CharlesMarlowAug 15, 2015 12:21 AM

More topics from this board

» It is only rational to be paranoid these days of cybercriminals

DesuMaiden - May 11

5 by Zettaiken »»
1 hour ago

» fallout 4 mods you like to see in an anniversary edition

Paladin23 - Dec 12, 2023

6 by Paladin23 »»
5 hours ago

» Any paradox games fans here?

D5rkUnl0ck3r - May 12

6 by D5rkUnl0ck3r »»
10 hours ago

» Is 8 gb vram enough these days?

Cnon - Mar 5

34 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:42 AM

» your video game waifu or husbando

deg - May 7

24 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 9:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.