Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 9, 2015 9:48 PM
Feb 2014
katsucats said:
Idealize said:
Like academics are merely measured over grades... hopeless.
Grades are a reflection of pursuance of academics. Learning can occur without judgment (i.e. grades), but insisting one without the other is like a pothead shunning school because his ideas are too deep.

I agree grades are a legit way to measure some degree of competence (pragmatic, non-perfect) both in learning and skill terms, but they aren't an integral reflection of academic merits, their power to reflect true competence in certain area is quite limited. They won't put in exercise any personal contribution (be it on theoretical or experimental terms) to the subject in study like you'd do by merits participating in papers with concrete ideas (no matter of deepness, i think team group, good pertinent data or coherent mathematical descriptions for natural science cases), even when you're not being put a grade for it, nor they'll normalize the mean of such a number so its meaning will be understood by external observants. Not to mention the ridiculous amount of copying that frequents to happen specially on an era when students have no shame on making 50-member WhatsApp groups to copy during exams while teachers won't give that many fucks as long as isn't too obvious.

Failed researchers who were raised to answer nothing else but exams instead of real problems, used to get nice means in their undergrad studies aren't something unheard of, as well.

It's not like I think there should be a whole reform about grades, but that those on their own won't tell you coherent, meaningful information about the academic quality of the person in question.
13914913112Jul 9, 2015 9:56 PM
Jul 9, 2015 10:25 PM

Sep 2013
Wait... people do that? Is it like 14 year olds who do that or people older than that? If it's 14yr olds I slightly understand because let's be honest 14 yr olds are just like that sometimes but it's even weirder if the people doing that are older than like 15/16.
Jul 9, 2015 11:20 PM

Mar 2014
teruu said:
2-methylgeniol said:
I see no problem with it. If someone's putting up his grades on HIS profile, let him. It's his profile. People put up their club cards, banners and whatnot- at least putting up your grades will let other people know you're not dumb.

If you're salty because someone else puts up his grades on MAL then it probably means your grades aren't good enough to to be displayed publicly.

I am yet to see you displaying your grades publicly on an animelist website. Does this mean your grades aren't good enough as well? Your logic is absolutely flawed and just in turn makes you a hypocrite.

It's obvious that the motivation someone would have to put their grade evaluations up on an animelist site would be to demonstrate to the group of the myanimelist community that they are not stupid. In any case, why might they need to demonstrate that? Obviously..because they are deemed to be stupid by the Myanimelist community.

Please put some thought into the things before you decide to post them, 2-methyl...

That's simply because people would hardly understand the grading system of my country.
Well, if everyone on here is from Britain then I might give it a thought.
[i]"Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!''
~Oscar
[/i]
Jul 9, 2015 11:21 PM

Jul 2012
Never seen it but if someone wants to, go for it. Your choice, not mine.
Jul 10, 2015 1:04 AM

Aug 2013
Olwen said:
JustaDuck said:
But this is common sense, OP, don't you think by making a big deal of it that you're giving people a chance to wind you up? People don't have to be making a serious statement by putting the grades up. Obviously Katsu's proud of those good grades, but it's also probably just trollbait for people dense enough to take it too seriously.

Lol read his posts. He's not trolling.

Well, he can come off as a bit rhetorical on here and people can find it amusing to provoke him because of that, but I don't think he's as full of himself as you're making him out to be.
Jul 10, 2015 1:10 AM

Mar 2013
Just because you have good grades does not mean you're not an idiot. He could be against gay marriage for all we know.
Jul 10, 2015 1:13 AM

May 2013
haha that would be so dorky
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Jul 10, 2015 1:19 AM

Mar 2013
Due to the universal nature of grade, the competitive aspect, the privateness expected of such a thing, it's a logical conclusion to say he's doing it to feel superior. It's a simple matter of don't ask, don't tell.
Jul 10, 2015 1:34 AM
Feb 2014
Olwen needs to let it go, as requested by katsucats.
Jul 10, 2015 2:12 AM

Oct 2013
Well it's your choice to put whatever you want in your profile. But I guess putting up your grades does feel like your just showing off.
Jul 10, 2015 2:17 AM

Feb 2015
Wait, you mean school grades? Why would people do that?

Also I don't think people want to see my filthy F's and D's :P
Jul 10, 2015 2:20 AM

Mar 2013
Jonas_The_Jay said:
Wait, you mean school grades? Why would people do that?

Also I don't think people want to see my filthy F's and D's :P

I wanna see your Ds...both of them.
Jul 10, 2015 9:16 AM

Feb 2015
2-methylgeniol said:
teruu said:

I am yet to see you displaying your grades publicly on an animelist website. Does this mean your grades aren't good enough as well? Your logic is absolutely flawed and just in turn makes you a hypocrite.

It's obvious that the motivation someone would have to put their grade evaluations up on an animelist site would be to demonstrate to the group of the myanimelist community that they are not stupid. In any case, why might they need to demonstrate that? Obviously..because they are deemed to be stupid by the Myanimelist community.

Please put some thought into the things before you decide to post them, 2-methyl...

That's simply because people would hardly understand the grading system of my country.
Well, if everyone on here is from Britain then I might give it a thought.

That is an extremely dull and nullified excuse.
Uh? Oh right. Please do and take your time.

katsucats said:
Being salty because someone else puts up his grades =/= not displaying your grades publicly. Your reading comprehension is absolutely flawed.

Uh what? What has this got to do with you? You make no sense. I can only just assume you didn't comprehend anything of what 2-methyl or I have typed.

No one here is being salty.
Hello
Jul 10, 2015 5:03 PM

Apr 2014
People do that ? Like for real ?
Jul 10, 2015 5:10 PM

Sep 2009
I, for one, was very impressed with Katsucats academic achievements and was grateful to him for sharing them with us.
Losing an Argument online?

Simply post a webpage full of links, and refuse to continue until your opponents have read every last one of them!

WORKS EVERY TIME!

"I was debating with someone who believed in climate change, when he linked me to a graph showing evidence to that effect. So I sent him a 10k word essay on the origins of Conservatism, and escaped with my dignity intact."
"THANK YOU VERBOSE WEBPAGES OF QUESTIONABLE RELEVANCE!"

Jul 10, 2015 5:19 PM
Sep 2014
NERDS
Jul 10, 2015 7:25 PM

Jun 2008
Locked.

Sorry for the delay guys.

Couple of points:
We have PMs, profile comments, use it.
The continued drama between two specific users and dragging it on Casual Discussion is frankly, ridiculous. I apologize in advance for not seeing this as I initially skimmed the title and thought it was about how people rate anime. The dumpster it goes.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

679 by Hitagi__Furude »»
10 minutes ago

» What sort of education did you get?

removed-user - Dec 23, 2019

47 by beazy12 »»
20 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

48 by perfectlyquiet »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Do you care about your native culture?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 9

45 by Bruh69XD »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

45 by MasterTasuke »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.