Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 8, 2015 8:18 AM
Mar 2014
While I no longer use the website, RateYourMusic has a feature which lets users vote on what genres a release should be considered as. I think MyAnimeList would better benefit from having a similar system.

To prevent trolling and abuse, database moderators would set what genres could be voted on for each entry--with Boku no Pico, for example, people wouldn't be able to try and submit the "Kids" or "Comedy" tags just to be funny.
Jul 8, 2015 9:32 AM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Good idea.
Jul 8, 2015 9:36 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Wouldn't exactly deem it necessary but yeah sure why not

For example Classroom Crisis was listed as School + Slice of Life when this season began. I don't think you had to watch very many minutes of it before that was proven awfully misleading and incorrect
Jul 8, 2015 2:30 PM

Mar 2014
Indeed, I thought about this the other day, let people submit genres and after, say, like 20 votes or whatever it appears on the page or depending on how popular the show is it might need less or more (so more popular shows aren't trolled or less popular don't get changes at all), mods can always have control over the system too by adding/removing what they think is right/wrong.

HaXXspetten said:

For example Classroom Crisis was listed as School + Slice of Life when this season began. I don't think you had to watch very many minutes of it before that was proven awfully misleading and incorrect
It's an original anime, calm down.
Jul 8, 2015 2:34 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Paulo27 said:
HaXXspetten said:

It's an original anime, calm down.
Well yeah, but I mean people could easily have insta-corrected that as soon as the first episode aired if this feature was implemented
Jul 8, 2015 7:30 PM

Oct 2009
Paulo27 said:
Indeed, I thought about this the other day, let people submit genres and after, say, like 20 votes or whatever it appears on the page or depending on how popular the show is it might need less or more (so more popular shows aren't trolled or less popular don't get changes at all), mods can always have control over the system too by adding/removing what they think is right/wrong.

It's the way it worked for tags before the script was disabled, see "Popular Tags" section for old entries, for example: http://myanimelist.net/anime/121/Fullmetal_Alchemist
Besides, it's exactly the way tags worked on AniDB some time ago: users could add any tags and then users voted on them, but the owners abandoned this idea since it did not work as good as they expected and the tag system was reworked there completely
Jul 8, 2015 11:26 PM

Jul 2009
HaXXspetten said:

Genres are populated based on available information. This information is not static and can be changed upon review following completion of the series.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jul 9, 2015 12:45 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
arsonal said:
HaXXspetten said:

Genres are populated based on available information. This information is not static and can be changed upon review following completion of the series.
Well naturally, I wasn't complaining about it. Just wanted to say that you could very quickly edit that information after it started airing if people were able to vote on it
Jul 9, 2015 5:11 AM

Jul 2011
I'm an habitual collaborator in RYM database and this is the best feature by far. I already suggested this some time ago but it got quite a negative response from the users.

By the way, I encourage people to join RYM, there's a huge lack of Japanese music in the database and more users in this section will make the database grow. Also, despise the name (RateYourMusic) the database is not exclusive for music, there's also a film section and a video game section in beta that will go live soon.
Feb 7, 2016 5:18 AM

Jan 2016
I am pretty sure all of us have come across some anime which are supposed to come under some particular tag or those which come under something but are not shown as such.
So maybe if a new tab maybe be introduced under the rating tab which asks the users if the anime deserves that particular tag with a yes or no answer would be a lot helpful.

Feb 7, 2016 5:42 AM

Nov 2014
If you think an anime needs a tag you can ask to add it here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=30866
They will not add more tags to airing animes unless its painfully obvious it needs it (like anno for Classroom Crisis the Sci-Fi tag)
But show me an example and let me tell you why are you wrong and this system fucked up. (implying you will not say any that is actually reasonable)

More topics from this board

» An "Anime Franchise" page

_cjessop19_ - 3 hours ago

0 by _cjessop19_ »»
3 hours ago

» Combining every season of an Anime?

Dennisss - Apr 1, 2021

17 by _cjessop19_ »»
3 hours ago

» Add the option to change profile favorites pictures

k1rb - Oct 21, 2022

19 by k1rb »»
Yesterday, 2:21 PM

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Apr 24, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Apr 24, 12:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.