Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Dec 6, 2009 1:17 PM

Dec 2009
Do you think Funimation will acquire the rights for Umineko someday? The Higurashi dub wasn't too good, so if they do dub this anime one day I hope they'll pick good VA's.
Dec 6, 2009 1:24 PM

Jun 2007
They haven't even licensed Higurashi Kai yet.
Dec 6, 2009 1:31 PM

Dec 2009
MarthX said:
They haven't even licensed Higurashi Kai yet.

What does that have to do with anything?

Umineko is an entirely different anime with an entirely different plot. It's not a continuation to Higurashi. The only thing people will notice is the name similarity.
Dec 6, 2009 1:51 PM
Apr 2009
iirc, funimation wants to license higurashi kai before umineko.
Dec 6, 2009 1:54 PM
Aug 2007
I hope someone licenses it. My shelves are incomplete without the presence of the Golden Witch :(
Dec 6, 2009 2:01 PM

Dec 2009
the_seventh_l said:
I hope someone licenses it. My shelves are incomplete without the presence of the Golden Witch :(

I have a feeling it will be dubbed one day. Though this seems like Funimation's type of anime.
Dec 6, 2009 2:02 PM
Aug 2007
Rail_Tracer said:
the_seventh_l said:

I have a feeling it will be dubbed one day. Though this seems like Funimation's type of anime.

I wouldn't mind a dub track, as long as they get someone who can replicate (or come close enough) to Beato's signature cackle. :3
Dec 6, 2009 2:19 PM

Dec 2009
the_seventh_l said:
Rail_Tracer said:
the_seventh_l said:

I wouldn't mind a dub track, as long as they get someone who can replicate (or come close enough) to Beato's signature cackle. :3

I have a feeling that her dubbed cackle will be annoying (Just like Higurashi's) same thing with Maria's laughs.
Dec 7, 2009 8:45 PM

Dec 2008
There have been strong hnts Funi will license Kai since Higurashis boxset sales have been doing well.

Despite possibly being awhile I wouldn't mind seeing Chris Patton as Battler.
Dec 7, 2009 9:30 PM

Jul 2008
I don't think a dub would be that great. Also, if the DVDs aren't selling well in Japan, there will be no motivation for an American company to license it.

And even though Higurashi Kai and Umineko are completely different anime, they are still technically called When They Cry 2 and 3, respectively. I would be kind of irked to have When They Cry 1 and When They Cry 3 without the middle installment (installments if you count Rei too).

But anyways, I don't see an official dub happening any time soon.
Dec 8, 2009 6:36 AM
Aug 2009
I'd love to buy umineko here in germany(but I hate german dub^^) with english dub + japanese with subs ;) I'd support them if it makes it to germany.
But its still possible to import it :D
Dec 9, 2009 8:15 PM
Mar 2008
GarLogan78 said:
Also, if the DVDs aren't selling well in Japan, there will be no motivation for an American company to license it.

Japan != America/Canada

Casshern SINS bombed in Japan, but here it is being brought over by FUNi.
Meanwhile, Kara no Kyoukai sells very well in Japan, but nobody seems interested here.

The real question here is "Did FUNi's rescue of Higurashi sell well enough to warrent Kai's licensing?" Or, "Are FUNi's pockets deep enough to go into the red just to get Kai out onto the market?"
Dec 9, 2009 8:39 PM

Dec 2008
PlatinumHawke said:
GarLogan78 said:
Also, if the DVDs aren't selling well in Japan, there will be no motivation for an American company to license it.

Japan != America/Canada

Meanwhile, Kara no Kyoukai sells very well in Japan, but nobody seems interested here.

The real question here is "Did FUNi's rescue of Higurashi sell well enough to warrent Kai's licensing?" Or, "Are FUNi's pockets deep enough to go into the red just to get Kai out onto the market?"

I thought Kara was being shown recently by Viz somewhere, and Higurashi boxset sales have been very well since the fall cour.

I'd be interested on how much Funi could do for the amount of character Umi has.
Dec 11, 2009 12:16 AM
Sep 2009
A forum i'm on is planning to do a fandub of this, we're planning it out, but no progress so far. ^__^

Dec 11, 2009 12:18 AM

Apr 2009
The anime was poor enough as it was, why would you want a dub to make it even worse?
Dec 11, 2009 12:27 AM
Sep 2009
Haylias said:
The anime was poor enough as it was, why would you want a dub to make it even worse?

Matter of opinion. We at the forum thought it was amazing. If you think it sucked, it's your loss. :)

EDIT: Just so you know, it's the forum linked in my sig.

Dec 11, 2009 12:32 AM

Feb 2008
Haylias said:
Market it for the lulz.

Might just worked where Endless Eight failed.
Dec 11, 2009 6:21 AM
Aug 2009
Amy-nyan said:
Haylias said:

Matter of opinion. We at the forum thought it was amazing. If you think it sucked, it's your loss. :)
If you think it's amazing, you probably haven't read the VN, which means that you missed a lot of it's awesomeness, and watching this (horrible) anime adaption will ruin the experience of reading the VN, so I'd rather think that it's your loss.
Dec 12, 2009 2:22 PM

Dec 2008
moldy_tomato said:
Amy-nyan said:
Haylias said:

If you think it's amazing, you probably haven't read the VN, which means that you missed a lot of it's awesomeness, and watching this (horrible) anime adaption will ruin the experience of reading the VN, so I'd rather think that it's your loss.

That's rude though. Yes us VN players are very displeased with this adaption, but that doesn't mean we can go around prancing on anime only viewers opinions just because we know more. That would be hypocritical.
Jan 6, 2010 9:44 AM

Aug 2007
Sempie said:
moldy_tomato said:
Amy-nyan said:
Haylias said:

That's rude though. Yes us VN players are very displeased with this adaption, but that doesn't mean we can go around prancing on anime only viewers opinions just because we know more. That would be hypocritical.

Know more? It's the matter that the anime cut out way too much from the VN for it to be good. Having more knowledge doesn't mean anything.
Jan 6, 2010 9:50 AM

Oct 2009
i doubt this will be adapted, its sales werent very good in japan iirc.

id like for it to be though after higurashi kai :3 i want the full set lol
Jan 16, 2010 11:41 PM

Jun 2006
Ooh I'd like to see a dubbed version of Umineko. Haha. Yeah I can see funimation grabbin' Umineko after Kai. xD
Jan 19, 2010 1:00 AM

Jun 2007
PlatinumHawke said:
GarLogan78 said:

Japan != America/Canada

This -- plenty of shows have done poorly in Japan but far better overseas. Many of the biggest English-language hits like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Escaflowne, Hellsing, and others would fall into that category. In fact, anime studios like Gonzo used to make action/sci-fi anime that catered to Western tastes, thinking that overseas sales would make up for lack of popularity with Japanese otaku. But since many overseas anime "fans" have decided that anime as an artform isn't worth paying for, studios have retreated back to what sells to Japanese otaku, since they actually buy anime. Enjoy your moe, little-girl slice-of-life, ecchi, lolicon, reference-fests, and harems, everyone.

Aniplex has been shopping KnK around and screening it at conventions in the US, so I'd say there's some effort to give it a North American release.

More topics from this board

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Trineas - Jul 1, 2009

348 by Asudox »»
Dec 10, 2023 1:13 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Dec 22, 2009

665 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:56 PM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

francismeunier - Nov 25, 2009

125 by Jonas-K »»
Oct 5, 2023 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.