Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Log Horizon
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 4, 2015 7:03 PM

Jul 2013
Just as the title says. Log Horizon season 2 has been getting a lot of hate lately and has been considered a bad sequel to season 1. What do you think contributed to this hate? And do you think such extreme hate is warranted?

Yes I agree that it was lacklustre compared to S1 however I think people are ignoring the good points and just focus on what's bad and base their judgment there.

Personally, I didn't think S2 was as bad as what everyone says. It has a lot of bad reviews (not that I believe reviews here in MAL) but the first part was really good IMO. It felt dragged at times probably because there weren't too many materials left to adapt. BUT the raid was pretty enjoyable. As an MMORPG player, I really enjoyed the raids because I really agree with the way they battled the bosses (unlike SAO where Kirito can literally solo anything). It takes teamwork to play MMOs because you can't be OP in a game. You're all equal. I also like how it became serious like dealing with their own faults and reflecting on their lives in the real world because people used to tell me that PC games were a waste of time but I still played it anyway. It was pretty refreshing to see another side of the series.

However the kids' arc was really boring because I never cared for them in the first place. It felt like filler (not that I know since I don't read LNs). So what do you think is the biggest reason why people hate LH S2?

Bonus point: I like how they look slightly different in real life and not just changing the hair style. It makes gaming feel more realistic.
Dull_LullJun 4, 2015 7:49 PM
Jun 4, 2015 7:08 PM

Jul 2012
1. Studio DEEN
everyone loves to hate on this studio even though it's not that bad

2. Lack of focus
Especially in the middle (that random episode with the random characters idk) and with the kids' arc being there
Jun 4, 2015 7:12 PM

Jul 2013
mayukachan said:
1. Studio DEEN
everyone loves to hate on this studio even though it's not that bad

2. Lack of focus
Especially in the middle (that random episode with the random characters idk) and with the kids' arc being there

I don't like DEEN either mainly because of their animation but it's not like they haven't made any good shows like Higurashi for example and 07 Ghost (this one is my personal opinion).
Jun 4, 2015 8:34 PM

Aug 2011
I don't know~
I think that it was a good season. There are some mysteries left. Is there a season 3 announcement?
Dungeons are great places~
Jun 4, 2015 9:18 PM
Oct 2012
Tenshi_Shura said:
Just as the title says. Log Horizon season 2 has been getting a lot of hate lately and has been considered a bad sequel to season 1.

At the beginning of S1 Log Horizon was unknown, so when it successful redefined the "trapped in a game" genre it got a lot of love. The trouble with S2 is that LH was no longer a surprise hit, people were expecting it to be even better. So when it was "merely" more of the same, many fans were disappointed, also the cliches of the series started wearing thin, Akatsuki and Naotsugu's conflicts, the love triangle, between S, A and M. They weren't bad, but they were jokes that started to wear thin after 48 episodes.

This is not to say that there wasn't problems with S2, namely:
1) Studio Deen has a lot of people who hate them, particularly FATE fans who are both legion and vocal. I do have the feeling that NHK worked with a smaller budget with S2 (part of the problem with Deen is that they do seem to be lower budget, hence the art work is less deep). I don't think the art was bad in S2, and I accept that budgets are budgets, but I can understand people's disappointment.

2) Though not Studio Deen's fault, Kanami's character design in S2 was far worse than in S1. Many fans hated this since Kanami was a fan favorite (I find it hard to blame them on this, Kanami had a great deal of mystery hence appeal in S1, but in S2 she had a new character, and she became more tangible, losing the appeal).

3) S1 had a very linear storyline. The main characters were together from start to finish. The writing of S2 necessitated story-lines that seemed like side stories (particularly the arc with the kids). Now this wasn't the animation's fault, they did an excellent job of translating some difficult (in the sense of translating them to animation) novels, but there is no denying that the story wasn't as tight in S2 as it was in S1. Not the writer's fault, not the animation's fault, but I can see why visual only fans were disappointed.

4) One fault I would definitely pin on the writer is that there were very few Shiroe being a bad ass scenes. That was a great appeal of S1, these were few and far between in S2. Of course the problem is that it is hard to constantly make the MC badass as the story progresses, but one of the greatest appeals of S1 were those Shiroe being the boss scenes. S2 needed more of these. The writer lost track of this during half of the novels that became S2 and the series, both written and animated, suffered.

A simple test when comparing two season is how many moments you can remember from either season. While I did not dislike S2, I would say that I remember far more scenes from S1 than S2. That in the end is the primary difference.
Jun 4, 2015 10:50 PM

May 2011
I actually liked S2 more than S1
Jun 4, 2015 10:54 PM

Apr 2014
Mostly Studio Deen
If I"m being honest, I disliked both seasons equally.
Jun 5, 2015 8:43 PM

Jul 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
Tenshi_Shura said:
Just as the title says. Log Horizon season 2 has been getting a lot of hate lately and has been considered a bad sequel to season 1.

At the beginning of S1 Log Horizon was unknown, so when it successful redefined the "trapped in a game" genre it got a lot of love. The trouble with S2 is that LH was no longer a surprise hit, people were expecting it to be even better. So when it was "merely" more of the same, many fans were disappointed, also the cliches of the series started wearing thin, Akatsuki and Naotsugu's conflicts, the love triangle, between S, A and M. They weren't bad, but they were jokes that started to wear thin after 48 episodes.

This is not to say that there wasn't problems with S2, namely:
1) Studio Deen has a lot of people who hate them, particularly FATE fans who are both legion and vocal. I do have the feeling that NHK worked with a smaller budget with S2 (part of the problem with Deen is that they do seem to be lower budget, hence the art work is less deep). I don't think the art was bad in S2, and I accept that budgets are budgets, but I can understand people's disappointment.

2) Though not Studio Deen's fault, Kanami's character design in S2 was far worse than in S1. Many fans hated this since Kanami was a fan favorite (I find it hard to blame them on this, Kanami had a great deal of mystery hence appeal in S1, but in S2 she had a new character, and she became more tangible, losing the appeal).

3) S1 had a very linear storyline. The main characters were together from start to finish. The writing of S2 necessitated story-lines that seemed like side stories (particularly the arc with the kids). Now this wasn't the animation's fault, they did an excellent job of translating some difficult (in the sense of translating them to animation) novels, but there is no denying that the story wasn't as tight in S2 as it was in S1. Not the writer's fault, not the animation's fault, but I can see why visual only fans were disappointed.

4) One fault I would definitely pin on the writer is that there were very few Shiroe being a bad ass scenes. That was a great appeal of S1, these were few and far between in S2. Of course the problem is that it is hard to constantly make the MC badass as the story progresses, but one of the greatest appeals of S1 were those Shiroe being the boss scenes. S2 needed more of these. The writer lost track of this during half of the novels that became S2 and the series, both written and animated, suffered.

A simple test when comparing two season is how many moments you can remember from either season. While I did not dislike S2, I would say that I remember far more scenes from S1 than S2. That in the end is the primary difference.

I guess Log Horizon just took the world by storm when it did so much better than SAO in terms of concept and gaming.
Jun 11, 2015 12:15 PM
Jul 2012
I wanted to see more of Log Horizon (the guild). All the child members of the guild were hardly developed and didn't even feel like they were part of the guild more or less even the anime itself. It doesn't even look like they have a connection to the older members other than the two siblings) even though they're part of the guild.

What was the point of naming this anime "Log Horizon" when not even 1 episode of the two seasons put together was about the guild? I wanted to see how this guild developed and grew but the anime feature next to nothing about it. Instead it focused more on other less important guilds.

This was more of a rant on Log Horizon in general but season 2 was noticeably worse than the first season. Just a whole bunch of fillers. Not really important to the storyline and just rambling. What was the purpose of the kids traveling by themeselves taking up the majority of the second half? Who really cares?
Nov 15, 2015 5:28 PM

Sep 2015
I enjoyed the second season, but I get why a lot of people wouldn't enjoy it - I did feel it was a big step down from the first season.

Firstly, the pacing. Everything just felt so slow. I don't mind the character development, but some of the arcs dragged on for way too long. Or that episode where there was a 15 minute speech - I'm an MMORPG player, I've been in guilds and dealt with the issues people can cause, so I could relate to the speech, but it was unnecessarily long.

Secondly, some of the character went down the drain. I loved Akatsuki in the first season, but she did a 180 in the second and suddenly became this useless girl with no self esteem or confidence, and couldn't do anything for herself.

I liked the last 6 episodes the most, but overall it did feel, IMO, a step down from the first season.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2015

155 by Syrass »»
Feb 12, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

tsubasalover - Mar 28, 2015

225 by SOLDRAKE »»
Feb 5, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

218 by Skydis »»
Nov 29, 2023 8:48 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2014

147 by Overblown »»
Nov 10, 2023 4:56 AM

Poll: » Log Horizon 2nd Season Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

161 by Anachrome »»
Sep 1, 2023 9:53 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.