Forum Settings
Forums
Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie -Rebellion-
Available on Manga Store
New
May 8, 2015 3:34 PM
Mar 2015
Let me start by saying that I did like Rebellion. However, I think it could have been a lot better and the ending left a bad taste in my mouth. The ending isn't unreasonable, but it really seems like they went for the "shock-factor" rather than picking the obvious, yet perfect ending.

In my opinion, Rebellion would have been perfect if Madoka had actually taken Homura with her, ending the movie by showing them happy together in "heaven" or whatever Madoka's version of that is. While this ending would have been obvious, I think it would have fit perfectly with the theme of the show. We know that Homura really wants to be with Madoka, and letting herself be taken by Madoka would mean that they would be together forever.

Does anyone else think this ending would have made the movie much better?
May 8, 2015 4:10 PM
Sep 2011
Pretty much anything would have been better than "Homura strips Madoka of her free will based on a misunderstanding so that the writers can leave the story open for further milking."

People say that having Madoka take Homura with her would have been lame because, yea, it's what you expect, but I think it would have been the resolution to her character. After all the crap she's been through, and once the conflicts are all done, it would have been appropriate closure for her.

The only thing is, the argument that's usually brought up to defend Homura's actions, namely that the incubators could still try something to control Madoka. I really don't see any other way that could have been dealt with.
May 8, 2015 4:38 PM
Mar 2015
Yeah, exactly. It would have been a great resolution for the character. Your point about the incubators makes sense, because you really never know what they're going to do.

My justification for Homura's actions was that she simply wasn't acting like herself (or perhaps just an extreme exaggeration of herself) because she had already been affected by her partial witch transformation. Hopefully if they do release another movie or short series it will actually offer closure to that "twist". If it doesn't I'll just pretend that the movie doesn't exist and be happy with the series.
May 8, 2015 5:55 PM
Sep 2011
Ragnarok10 said:

My justification for Homura's actions was that she simply wasn't acting like herself (or perhaps just an extreme exaggeration of herself) because she had already been affected by her partial witch transformation.

That seems to be one of the three big justifications for her actions.

The other two are that she wanted to protect Madoka from the incubators, and the misinterpretation of the flower field scene.

The latter is probably the thing that bothers me most about the movie because everything the two talked about in the flower field scene is missing context. Madoka doesn't remember the experiences that lead her to make her wish without regret, she doesn't remember how happy she was with her decision, and the way Homura words her description of her "dream" makes it sound like Madoka would be isolated and miserable, so of course Madoka would say she would never do something like that.

Homura is acting under the impression that she's doing what she's doing for Madoka's happiness, but the whole thing is a big misunderstanding, which I think is a terrible way to conclude a movie. She forced her will over Madoka's under the misguided belief that Madoka acted entirely out of duty and regretted her actions.
May 9, 2015 8:43 AM

Mar 2015
The ending did catch me by surprise but it didn't feel unnatural to me that Homura did what she did. It made me look back on the first series and rethink Madoka's Ultimate fate and how Homura saw it.

Madoka's wish relieved Homura of her struggles. From the audience's perspective, this is a solace to her in view of all the suffering she had went through. This was how I saw it as well, until Rebellion came and shattered this into a million pieces.

Now think of the scenario from Homura's perspective, she failed to save Madoka, she will never see Madoka again and on top of that she now knows that her tampering with the timelines was what allowed Madoka to make that wish to sacrifice herself.

RLinksoul said:

Homura is acting under the impression that she's doing what she's doing for Madoka's happiness, but the whole thing is a big misunderstanding, which I think is a terrible way to conclude a movie.

Personally, I don't buy into this whole misunderstanding thing, Homura has always wanted to give Madoka a normal life, she knows this is against Madoka's will but she chooses what she feels is the best path for Madoka.

Madoka chose to sacrifice herself for the good of the world where Homura chose the opposite. Homura calls herself a devil, a being opposed to God and states that her actions can be called evil, because she knows this is not what Madoka would have wanted, for the sake of the world.

RLinksoul said:

She forced her will over Madoka's under the misguided belief

Just food for thought, this has nothing to do with anything but, Madoka also did the same with her wish in the TV series. At the time, Madoka didn't understand Homura's reason for fighting, rather she couldn't possibly have understood. To Madoka, Homura was fighting for everyone's sake, she did not know Homura's true intentions.

"I promise I won't ever let your efforts be in vain."

This is what she told Homura before she contracted, only to do the direct opposite, sacrifice herself and force Homura to live with the fact that she could not save Madoka. It's sad, but it was what Madoka had to do.
MelonMilkMay 9, 2015 9:25 AM
May 15, 2015 1:24 PM
Dec 2013
RLinksoul said:
Pretty much anything would have been better than "Homura strips Madoka of her free will based on a misunderstanding so that the writers can leave the story open for further milking."

People say that having Madoka take Homura with her would have been lame because, yea, it's what you expect, but I think it would have been the resolution to her character. After all the crap she's been through, and once the conflicts are all done, it would have been appropriate closure for her.

The only thing is, the argument that's usually brought up to defend Homura's actions, namely that the incubators could still try something to control Madoka. I really don't see any other way that could have been dealt with.

There is no "misunderstanding." The Madoka Homura talked to was basically a blank slate, she wasn't going to get a more honest answer than that. Of course Madoka was "happy" with her sacrifice because of all the people she helped, but the fact remains that she was eternally separated from those she loved and forced to fight evil for all eternity. While Madoka might not "regret" that part because of all the good it caused, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that it's something she truely enjoys. Homura honored her wish(wraiths are still around so obviously the Law of Cycles is still in effect) but she also gave Madoka her humanity back and took the burden of the universe upon herself. I thought it was a great ending and a logical direction for Homura's character to take.
RecursorMay 15, 2015 1:30 PM
May 23, 2015 10:00 PM

Dec 2010
Rebellion would have been perfect if... it didn't exist.
May 24, 2015 12:30 PM

Jun 2014
I think Homura's actions are logical given everything she's been through. There is no real contradiction or massive character change on her part. She simply acted on her true desires- everything from the 1st season has been building up to this point as she never truly received closure with the events that transpired in the TV series. In her eyes, she failed epicly to save Madoka.

She starts to question her own sanity and talk about Madoka with Kyuby causing the whole mess. The incubators experiment was the straw that broke the camels back.

The fact that she was stewing in her own labyrinth, getting all confused and missing Madoka like heck did not help. The incubator threat and the flowerbed scene definitely solidified her resolution.

OddRecursor said:

There is no "misunderstanding." The Madoka Homura talked to was basically a blank slate, she wasn't going to get a more honest answer than that...While Madoka might not "regret" that part because of all the good it caused, I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that it's something she truely enjoys...

This. Obviously, Madoka would not be in the state she is given the choice. It's something she did out of necessity. Homura has known this to be true all along.

Her motives are not pure, and she openly admits it. But it's something that a lot of people can relate to. I think the more naive type of audience who like fairy tale happy endings are more likely to feel dissatisfied with Rebellions ending and are having a strop because things didn't turn out how they wanted.

But the fact is, everyone got their happy ending thanks to Homura. (Except Kyubs)
May 25, 2015 10:44 PM
Mar 2015
is there gonna be another sequel or nah because the ending is too open.
May 26, 2015 3:01 PM

Jan 2013
GamePois0n said:

it was top selling in 2014 so there should be
May 26, 2015 4:49 PM
Mar 2015
juicykitten95 said:
GamePois0n said:

it was top selling in 2014 so there should be

can't really believe it was top selling because the entire story is like a mind f***, but as long as there is gonna be another to finish it off, i really don't care :)
Aug 8, 2015 10:42 AM
Aug 2012
I agree, I just finished the movie and got a little disappointed that my poor Homura became a demon. My weekend would be better if I knew she was with Madoka in heaven.

So I can't accept this movie as canon, Gen Urobuchi fix this ASAP!
Dec 30, 2015 8:41 PM

Aug 2009
If Homura did not do what she did, then what would have stopped the incubators from repeating their experiment? Eventually, they would have been able to revert back to the old system--using hope and despair to generate energy.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica Movie 3: Hangyaku no Monogatari Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

dimasmw - Oct 27, 2013

1042 by Biisoo »»
Apr 17, 7:10 AM

» Madoka Magica Rebellion is a masterpiece ( 1 2 )

JezzaC - Jan 28, 2021

65 by HigherLvLThinker »»
Aug 16, 2023 7:00 AM

» State your opinion: Did Homura REALLY do nothing wrong?

StanSayakaMiki77 - Apr 17, 2023

19 by APolygons2 »»
Jul 18, 2023 5:23 PM

» Explaining the final twist

APolygons2 - Oct 19, 2022

45 by ScionOfCyan »»
Jan 30, 2023 7:28 PM

» Plot Holes? What exactly happened between.... (movie spoilers)

Rob7 - Sep 24, 2022

18 by APolygons2 »»
Oct 19, 2022 6:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.