Forum Settings
Forums

Why does it seem like every review for an older anime someone has to remind us the art is dated?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 30, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2014
Don't really care about how "dated" anime looks. As long as the story is good
Apr 30, 2015 10:50 AM
Mar 2011
Kreion said:

JFC stop talking like an ingrate - part of having a discussion is being able to put forward your point in an understandable manner. There's no way that you can't type better than this regardless of what your background is, so the only conclusion I can draw is that you're being deliberately obtuse or are actually mentally damaged in some way.

As for the vague point's you're flailing at - they're pretty irrelevant, especially since I just looked up Kyoko from Maison and she doesn't look like a real person anyway. Massive eyes, massive hair, massive bust - so stereo typically anime it hurts. Hell, if I have to be thankful about modern anime in any respect it's that at least the hair isn't one massive block on the top of the head.

Anime, as an art form, does not need to look good in real life - because it's just not. There's no argument there, I can look at something in 2d and like it and then not like it if it was real - I imagine most pokemon would look like shit in real life, or at least, they'd just look like animals.

But yes, moe lead girls DO look realistic a lot of the time to what Japanese schoolgirls would look like - or at least their idealised 'cute' look. In terms of clothes and hair at any rate, the eyes have always been a point of contention and always will be - but if you want realistic art styles in anime they certainly exist. The point of anime is not to look realistic though so there's kind of little point in even arguing the point - the entire medium is based of idealism. Cute girls and cute guys or cool girls and cool guys - anime has ALWAYS been like this - tastes have just changed.

she also has a more realistic personality

Mod Edit: Modified quote tower; please spoiler or remove old quotes.
MasterTengkorakApr 30, 2015 11:39 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 30, 2015 10:55 AM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:

she also has a more realistic personality

This can't be life

MasterTengkorakApr 30, 2015 11:40 AM
Apr 30, 2015 11:00 AM
Mar 2011
sullynathan said:

This can't be life

what

its true wonmes in Japan of her age are more likly ti act like kyoko than girls are ogi to act llike moe girls

ther both SOL anime slice of life ie realistic personally should be the in use at lest im soory wantch all kyo ani shows i cannot see any realiric personality like kyoko

MasterTengkorakApr 30, 2015 11:41 AM
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 30, 2015 11:04 AM
Jan 2015
You guys... SOL anime usually tries to replicate personalities from real life.
Not the other way around.
Apr 30, 2015 11:06 AM

Oct 2010
Since when has detail in character art been that relevant? I thought things like drawing consistancy, or fitting in the context, or expressive range were more relevant, since the character is usually created to be part of a fictional universe and not as a standalone piece. Didn't your art student friend know about this, and asked you what the hell was he supposed to tell if the only source you showed were two prints taken out of context?

Or maybe you forgot how detailed the character art of Sazae-san is.
Apr 30, 2015 11:06 AM
Mar 2011
BlueScarf said:
You guys... SOL anime usually tries to replicate personalities from real life.
Not the other way around.

that what im saying kyo nai fais at that that combied with art

Apr 30, 2015 11:11 AM
Jan 2015
I have to say, I've never seen an anime made past 2000 that could animate or draw water as stylistically or beautifully as anime I've seen from the 70s to 90s.
Apr 30, 2015 11:11 AM
Mar 2011
jal90 said:
Since when has detail in character art been that relevant? I thought things like drawing consistancy, or fitting in the context, or expressive range were more relevant, since the character is usually created to be part of a fictional universe and not as a standalone piece. Didn't your art student colleague know about this, and asked you what the hell was he supposed to tell if the only source you showed were two prints taken out of context?

Sazae-san art has not changed in 40 years and copies the manga unloe say parasite anime

and Personality Sazae-san is what matters like what should matter in ALL anime in thats subset relatebaly realistic character cuase ots Nichijou [ slice of life anime]

Apr 30, 2015 11:15 AM
Mar 2011
BlueScarf said:
I have to say, I've never seen an anime made past 2000 that could animate or draw water as stylistically or beautifully as anime I've seen from the 70s to 90s.

cell will always be more detalted tha digital and digital games more quickly GOOD cell animation is timeless bad digital animation is awful and good digital animation can nver be timeless cuse as tech inpoves digital animation ages more and more

Apr 30, 2015 11:21 AM

Oct 2010
FGAU1912 said:
jal90 said:
Since when has detail in character art been that relevant? I thought things like drawing consistancy, or fitting in the context, or expressive range were more relevant, since the character is usually created to be part of a fictional universe and not as a standalone piece. Didn't your art student colleague know about this, and asked you what the hell was he supposed to tell if the only source you showed were two prints taken out of context?

Sazae-san art has not changed in 40 years and copies the manga unloe say parasite anime

and Personality Sazae-san is what matters like what should matter in ALL anime in thats subset relatebaly realistic character cuase ots Nichijou [ slice of life anime]

Slice of life has nothing to do with realism and it does not necessarily correlate with relatability (though usually, it helps. But relatability helps in every genre or form of narration). You can be realistic in a war drama or in a horror story. Anyway my original take of the example of Sazae-san was for you to recognize that detail is not necessarily a desired quality in a character design, and that it all depends on how it looks in the context the show describes. If you had presented videos to see how the characters interact in their environment, you would have had a point there.
jal90Apr 30, 2015 11:33 AM
Apr 30, 2015 12:58 PM

Mar 2013
Dated should only be used in reviews when it was dated looking at the time.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 30, 2015 11:46 PM

Oct 2008
offmodel said:
amateur said:
Its all stupid anyway.There could be a 70's/80's anime title which looks objectively bad to most people ,but in fact had more work put into it (backgrounds details,landscapes...) and just overall much more attention to details than recent series which sometimes re-use the same assets or don't have that many scenes that required animating going on.
Notable example Zetsuen No Tempest and Noragami, which are downright indistinguishable and makes you confused where one starts and the other ends.

I can think of two great examples of that (80's and early 90's, though), Tokimeki Tonight and Akazukin Chacha. I read somewhere years ago that those were two of the most underrated series for the quality of their backgrounds, and I was not mislead. They're a great example of what you described, shows where it takes someone that really cares about ink and paint to appreciate them. I never see those shows mentioned for the beautiful backgrounds, it's really too bad.

Those are still fairly recent examples, i'm talking about stuff like Heidi or any other older WMT titles which really had a ton of work put into them ,they were also given a actual high budget to work with and knew what to do with it,not scrapping pennies and even running out of budget like it may happen ever so often *cough Gainax.
And it all the more obvious when you see a blu-ray re-release of those titles and notice just how much stay still stand the test of time.

Ex
May 1, 2015 12:37 AM
Jan 2013
Inferno Cop has the best art style
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
May 1, 2015 12:45 AM

Mar 2012
Well, there are a lot of people out there that do like to point out the obvious.

...Oh, water is wet and the sun is bright? YOU DON'T FUCKING SAY?! GTFO OF HERE WITH THAT SHIT!
May 1, 2015 4:08 PM

Oct 2012
Some anime hold up better than others concerning the art and animation. Usually it's good habit to only mention something in a review if it stands out as to avoid repetition.

May 1, 2015 11:28 PM

May 2012
BlueScarf said:

Leaving aside the river rescue scene at the beginning of episode one, I thought the water animations in Seirei no Moribito were among the best I've seen. Kamiyama and his crew clearly invested a lot of effort in the water animations since water itself plays an important role in the story.

I also found this icy scene from Shinsekai Yori quite impressive especially since it's from the usually pedestrian A-1 Pictures:
May 2, 2015 12:28 AM
Aug 2014
"Dated" and "Old" are different things. You can have older animation that still looks great today, its the stuff that hasn't aged well that is dated. It's best applied to anime that when new had just average animation at the time, nothing really special. Animation that was top of the line for it's time is simply old, not dated.
May 2, 2015 1:51 PM

Dec 2012
Waifu_Strangler said:
Do they expect the reader to be too dumb to know that an older anime is going to have older art? If they're reading the review anyway aren't the chances they don't care because if they did they wouldn't take the time to look into the anime anyway.

You're implying that all people possess common sense, which is a fallacy.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - 43 minutes ago

7 by Horizon248 »»
2 minutes ago

» Has there been an anime fanbase that hyped up their anime so much that you were turned off from watching it?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

7 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
7 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

50 by luckyrune »»
9 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 minutes ago

0 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
10 minutes ago

» Why do people complain about "rapey" characters in anime?

Alpha_1_Zero - 20 minutes ago

1 by rohan121 »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.