Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 11, 2015 11:57 PM
Feb 2014
Did anyone get that feeling after watching? First of all, that house should have been Anna's heritage, while it was sold, and likely, profit divided between relatives.

It is not a coincidence, that during that summer Anna have moved nearly the mansion, because her relatives were leaving nearby, obviously, because they used some of the money they got from selling the mansion to buy land nearby and settle in there.

Her aunt were receiving money for Anna, and this is not just an lucky exception, it happens because relatives funded some of their money for her long-term support, probably, just for not to look like a total dicks. Aunt really adopted Anna for the money, that is the sad truth. At lest, that how it was at start.

Anna's aunt did not tell about the money, because she knew everything, and felt guilty. That is the only reason she had to keep silence for so long, just getting money is not a problem to tell this to the child, if there is no additional hidden context.

The are other references in the movie, but it obvious, that Anna was ripped off her own mansion, after her grandmother died.

The only positive thing is - looks like here aunt were honestly sorry, and really did fell in love with Anna, which counts as happy ending. Though, poor Anna will never find out the truth now.
Apr 12, 2015 12:00 PM

Jul 2010
From from polished, but here are my views. A little repetitive too at that.

I would like to think that the money might actually not been split up, but rather in a savings account that wouldn't be revealed to Anna until she is an adult. I mean, it wouldn't be a logically choice to trust a child with a large amount of money.

For Anna's aunt, I would think that the main reason why the aunt didn't tell Anna was because the aunt didn't know Anna well enough. I thought this was a case of "I don't know that them well, but I'll judge them anyways", but after knowing the person better, s/he wasn't so bad after all. The thing I am trying to say is that given how much of an introvert Anna was, she might just as well have a cynical view of society in general. What is better than to further show that image, if the aunt revealed the money she gets, Anna could easily think that the aunt is in this for the money and further distancing the already thin line. Given how bad Anna's aunt was able to express her thoughts and feelings, it would most likely lead to a bad scenario. Though it completely backfired as Anna found out anyways which lead to the outcome that her aunt feared of. By not being able to tell Anna, it would be understandable how it slowly becomes harder to talk about. Her aunt deciding to tell Anna at the end was her way to wanting to actually get to know Anna, with the first step is to be honest. It felt like how while the aunt wanted Anna to call her as a parent, the aunt herself was the one what that made the process so slow by not opening herself up first.

We do the things we do now is because we simply find it enjoyable. To be happy, to love, we're just naturally drawn to that. Once Anna had experienced what it means to truly get to know someone, such as caring about them. She learned to appreciate the things and people she already has around her. Breaking down any tags/labels, and just complexity in general and just do what she wants to do.

Summary/tl;dr
This movie was a heartwarming one with its themes be directed that way, your ideas, while realistic, just doesn't match on what I saw to be the essence of this film. Like how the journey matters, but the destination is the most important. Even if her aunt was a selfish person at the beginning, what is important is how she has changed at the end of the movie. The money matter just becomes insignificant when Anna and her aunt became a family.
Feb 21, 2016 3:17 PM

Jun 2010
I wonder how Anna didn't get the house, after Marnie died.
The mansion had a way too huge part in the whole movie and then it was sold to someone. weird.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 23, 2018 4:02 PM
Sep 2014
OK, first, I'm 100% sure that Anna's foster mother is not her aunt. Marnie was a only child and Emily was a only child too so there isnt a aunt anyway right? A orphanage was mentioned by Yoriko, too. The Sub maybe says "Auntie" but that just a translation for what Anna is calling her.

Second, the Oowai family where Anna is staying isn't related to Marnie at all but is related or they are friends to Yoriko, Anna's foster mother.
NagoyaRDec 25, 2018 12:18 PM
Jan 3, 2020 2:58 PM

May 2016
Who knows maybe her parents lost the house in business that is another possibility or they simply sold it or even Marine sold it she might need it that money for Emily and her illness.
Apr 9, 2020 6:15 PM

May 2019
I was not expecting a thread about legal subjecties. But i can help as a lawyer, trust me! (evil laugh)

I dont know exactly how is the patrimony heritage system in Japan, but it may not be too different of other countries (i'm latin american)

- Since Marnie was the only child of her rich parents, she inherited everything. And like this she lived with her husband as adult, until his death.

- After Marnie become mentally unstable, and since she only had her young daughter as family, it is usual to the Public Social Administration or the Justice indicates a Curator to be the responsible for her the money and patrimony.

- In less "devenloped" countries, she would be ripped-off by some corrupt administrator, but since we are talking about Japan and its high moral standards, her wealth was protected, but the quantity of money released for her (mentally incapable) and her daught (minor) is restricted to the necessary for the treatment of one and education of other, besides the basic maintenance.

- This explain why Marnie was looking to be living in a lot more simple life while her daughter was growthing far from her.

- The natural course would be the adult Emily, only daughter of Marnie, take control of everything after become adult, and even be responsible to take care of her mother.

- But we can extract from the situation (the defective raising of Emily, lacking parental control and reference) that she become a teenager mother, that died even before the adulthood (also 18 in Japan), or soon after. This also explain why the age gap between the 11yo Anna and the artist old friend of Marnie is not looking like more than 50 years.

- And them Marnie died, leaving all the patrimony to Anna, without relatives. The heritage public administrator is still the responsible for all her money until she reaches the adulthood.

- Her foster parents was elected like every foster family is, and surely it is not only about money, since the amount released may not be huge.

And finnaly, the Curator/Administrator is seriously responsible for protecting the value of the wealth that will be returned to Anna one day, and leave an old mansion become degraded with no use is a BIG problem. That is why the mansion was sold.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Omoide no Marnie Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Mar 18, 2015

163 by manuel-unu »»
Mar 25, 1:37 AM

» Question for people who already watched it (spoilers)

valyriansteel - Jul 24, 2014

23 by RobertBobert »»
Jun 20, 2023 11:46 AM

» Attack On Titan Satire

Readyarmydude90 - Mar 27, 2021

3 by ETHANethan »»
Mar 28, 2021 12:32 AM

Poll: » This could be Ghibli's last film

str_mln2 - Jul 20, 2014

10 by Yiuumii »»
Oct 23, 2020 3:36 PM

» Let's talk about the Ending

Shi-no-tenshi - May 31, 2020

4 by vRawabi_ »»
Aug 21, 2020 1:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.