Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 14, 2015 1:11 PM

Apr 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:
Masked_Mantis said:
Lol thread direction.

My intention wasn't compare all animal life to how we live. It was can we be reminded of how they live and implement it. People are turning my thread around, I'm certain Isis aren't learning from ant societies.

An octopus would risk starving to death to make sure her babies survive. Whenever I see a family going out drinking then complaining because they're too lazy to wake up and change their babies nappies, they get a lecture.
As idealistic as this sounds, applying the behavior of any other species to "humans" is misguided at best, especially since at that point you are cherry-picking what behaviors to emulate, while ignoring the reasoning behind why a specific species exhibits said behavior. To put it simply, humans have different brains than other species, our psychology is different, therefore it is ridiculous to expect us to value the same things that another species does or even be capable of doing so(of course there is overlap however that is just that, overlap).

Also as for your octupus analogy, how do you know that the mother isn't complaining about starving to death for her babies? Do they have the mental faculties necessary to complain? You seem to be adding human traits to animals in order to give them some morally outstanding behavior. But the second you start looking at another species' behavior through the lens of humanity's perspective, you've already done goofed.
Cherry picking is a good thing. Were already at the top of the food chain, but the world isn't perfect and many people could be reminded of some very basic lessons.

How is it anymore misguided than this life lesson: "Life is short"? It's true, but it's just a sentence, it doesn't relate to much unless you think about it and remind yourself every now and then.

In an ants life nothing is wasted, they aren't greedy. When plants are carried and shared along they also aerate soil and subsequently plant their own plants which aids the eco system.

Why do you feel a life lesson that teaches you to respect the environment is stupid if it involves nature itself? Regardless of it's scientific reasons for doing so.

What I'm asking is why shouldn't you add human traits to processes of the universe?
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Mar 14, 2015 1:21 PM

Nov 2009
Masked_Mantis said:
Pirating_Ninja said:
As idealistic as this sounds, applying the behavior of any other species to "humans" is misguided at best, especially since at that point you are cherry-picking what behaviors to emulate, while ignoring the reasoning behind why a specific species exhibits said behavior. To put it simply, humans have different brains than other species, our psychology is different, therefore it is ridiculous to expect us to value the same things that another species does or even be capable of doing so(of course there is overlap however that is just that, overlap).

Also as for your octupus analogy, how do you know that the mother isn't complaining about starving to death for her babies? Do they have the mental faculties necessary to complain? You seem to be adding human traits to animals in order to give them some morally outstanding behavior. But the second you start looking at another species' behavior through the lens of humanity's perspective, you've already done goofed.
Cherry picking is a good thing. Were already at the top of the food chain, but the world isn't perfect and many people could be reminded of some very basic lessons.

How is it anymore misguided than this life lesson: "Life is short"? It's true, but it's just a sentence, it doesn't relate to much unless you think about it and remind yourself every now and then.

In an ants life nothing is wasted, they aren't greedy. When plants are carried and shared along they also aerate soil and subsequently plant their own plants which aids the eco system.

Why do you feel a life lesson that teaches you to respect the environment is stupid if it involves nature itself? Regardless of it's scientific reasons for doing so.

What I'm asking is why shouldn't you add human traits to processes of the universe?
I call this idealistic because it isn't based on any reality one could hope to achieve if you take into consideration things like human psychology. Ants merely do what they do for survival, the fact that it "helps the ecosystem" is just a happy coincidence. They are not aware or even capable of being conscious of this. What you are asking of humans to do is not realistic for too many reasons to list. Honestly I don't want to get into a discussion on all 10,000 reasons why humans (on average, due to cultural/societal issues) take a different path on how to survive, again it isn't like an ant is being selfless in choosing to help the ecosystem while surviving, it just so happens that what it is doing to survive helps the ecosystem. If you truly believe though that we could learn from a specific trait of animals, please suggest what trait and how you would implement it, because as it stands now, the number of holes are too many to list. It would be like if I said, "Fighting is bad, humans shouldn't fight". There are just too many things wrong with that statement to even know where to begin.
Mar 14, 2015 1:39 PM

Apr 2014
Pirating_Ninja said:
Masked_Mantis said:

I call this idealistic because it isn't based on any reality one could hope to achieve if you take into consideration things like human psychology. Ants merely do what they do for survival, the fact that it "helps the ecosystem" is just a happy coincidence. They are not aware or even capable of being conscious of this. What you are asking of humans to do is not realistic for too many reasons to list. Honestly I don't want to get into a discussion on all 10,000 reasons why humans (on average, due to cultural/societal issues) take a different path on how to survive, again it isn't like an ant is being selfless in choosing to help the ecosystem while surviving, it just so happens that what it is doing to survive helps the ecosystem. If you truly believe though that we could learn from a specific trait of animals, please suggest what trait and how you would implement it, because as it stands now, the number of holes are too many to list. It would be like if I said, "Fighting is bad, humans shouldn't fight". There are just too many things wrong with that statement to even know where to begin.
Because I'm just asking why shouldn't we?

Do you take symbolism from anything? Could be from meaningful art, philosophical statements that involve inanimate objects, music etc.

It wouldn't be realistic with your mindset, yet it would with animals that do show actions similar to human emotions, such as elephants I take it?
Trance said:
I'm a guy and I can imagine buttfucking another guy. I don't find the thought repulsive, and I can even imagine kissing another man.
Mar 14, 2015 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Masked_Mantis said:
Why shouldn't we do anything?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 14, 2015 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
katsucats said:
Masked_Mantis said:
Why shouldn't we do anything?
I used to love reading Aesops fables growing up yet I don't behave like a goat or snake.
Trance said:
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» I got a girlfriend recently and she gets really emotional when i pay for things for her. Why do you think that is?

TheBlockernator - Yesterday

21 by traed »»
1 hour ago

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - May 2

45 by Freshell »»
1 hour ago

» Have you ever really sit down and really think about the short term and long term effects of AI in your industry?

tsukareru - 2 hours ago

9 by Dracowyn »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » do you believe that scientific theory are just a theory and scientific consensus are just opinions?

deg - May 3

19 by Freshell »»
1 hour ago

» Are you aware of these Japanese memes?

Kiryotsu - 7 hours ago

5 by deg »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.