Forum Settings
Forums
New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
May 4, 2015 8:44 AM
Mar 2015

They are not humans; they are weaklings.
May 4, 2015 9:40 AM

Dec 2013
Grusomhed said:

They are not humans; they are weaklings.

This person is weak and human =p
May 4, 2015 9:41 AM
Mar 2015
That dude is hilarious, lol.
May 4, 2015 10:08 AM

Dec 2012
Grusomhed said:
Cyborg, huh? Show me a person that won’t be ready to prolong its life.

you also have to consider the psychological damage of cybornetic humans and how you can question if you're truly human or not if you have a cyborg body. GitS plays on that concept really well.
May 5, 2015 10:18 AM

Dec 2012
Speakss said:
[center]Cyborg

Question 18: April 4th

If we had the technology, would you put your brain in a cyborg body? Why?

New one in le OP
May 5, 2015 12:29 PM

Dec 2013
I really don't care, I'll wear sports team stuff during different times but that's it.
I have three shirts in tribute to Ramen though XD
May 5, 2015 1:33 PM

Dec 2014
K, to be honest in trying to get a style going on but it's difficult with the cost. Incidentley, I really like the 1920-30's style of clothing and watching Baccano! Pushed me to adapt my style into something of that sort. But clothes maintenece and cost are my drawbacks right now so I'll be a stylish dude someday....
May 5, 2015 1:36 PM

Jun 2014
No, I just wear whatever I can find, too much work just thinking about it.

May 5, 2015 2:45 PM

Dec 2012
duffy553 said:
K, to be honest in trying to get a style going on but it's difficult with the cost. Incidentley, I really like the 1920-30's style of clothing and watching Baccano! Pushed me to adapt my style into something of that sort. But clothes maintenece and cost are my drawbacks right now so I'll be a stylish dude someday....

dont wear fedora's.
May 5, 2015 9:30 PM

Dec 2014
You gonna deny that swagger?
May 5, 2015 10:21 PM

Dec 2012
It's a dead trend and should stay dead
May 8, 2015 9:41 AM

Dec 2012
Speakss said:
[center]Fashion

Question 19: April tth

Do you like fashion? Do you have the desire to look classy/cute/punkish with your cloths?

new question in the op.. in a minute. let me think of something..
May 8, 2015 9:49 AM

Sep 2014
we should keep this thread active, i had no idea we had this until now.
Philosophizing is my passion.
Credit goes to Eggroll for awesome the sig <3 ~~怖いですね。~~

Me>You=Life (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
May 8, 2015 10:06 AM

Dec 2012
Since this is a topic I feel strongly about I'll actually answer this week.

Lets look at the definition of talent first

talent
[tal-uh nt]
noun
1.a special natural ability or aptitude:
a talent for drawing.
2.a capacity for achievement or success; ability:
young men of talent.

In our current society we miss use words, dont fully understand the definition of a word, etc. We use the word talent to describe anyone who can do something well, but to the point of envy and glorification (ie, football players, famous olympians, pianist, artists) and most say "they were just born with talent." However, I'm here to say they were not born with it. They were dedicated a field they thought was fun or interesting. Most famous people are driven less by their own desire to do well but by the feeling of success, rivalry, and glamer they receive.

With that being said, I believe, any person with "talent" is actually someone who is highly dedicated to the point that it negatively effects other aspects of their life. Olympians are not smart people. Yes, they are highly effective sportsmen but if you ask most of them basic math, science, history, language, or even art questions they wont know how to answer. Same goes for every talented people. Most astounding pianist are so socially awkward they barely talk to people because they can't relate to anyone.

Furthermore, when I read the definition of talent "1.a special natural ability or aptitude:" I believe this is a highly scewed statement. No one is born with a special talent, example famous piano players. All "talent" boils down to is the dedication and time they put into that exact craft.Example, a pianist will dedicate 8-12 hours of their day solely playing the piano perfecting whatever project they are working on at that time.

I believe it's society an our miss understand of our spoken language that makes people believe that people are just born with talent and it doesn't require hours upon hours of perfecting your craft.
May 8, 2015 10:51 AM

Jan 2014
I think it fits so I'm leaving it here.

Yukino Yukinoshita said (Yahari Ore No Seishun Love Come Wa Machigatteiru):

People who don't work hard don't have the right to be envious of the people with talent. People fail because they don't understand the hard work necessary to be successful.
fatezer0May 8, 2015 10:56 AM
May 8, 2015 12:32 PM

Dec 2013
In my opinion i think there is something to be said about separating talents from traits. Everyone is born with some sort of traits from either good vocal cords for singing, good wrist action for drawing and instrument or the comprehension of solely being able to calculate numbers through head math or mapping out strategic planning. Talent on the other hand is to allocate your traits into curtain activities to make them "special".

Now everyone can essentially learn how to play the guitar or draw through a lot of hard work can only get to a decent status in the activity where as people who have the traits can pick up on the activity much quicker. Let's not go out and say though that if someone has such traits they don't need to learn the talent as that is just silly. Even child prodigies need to allocate traits to reach their maximum potential like we see in a lot of asian families.

On the other hand traits can also be picked up through either natural progression of time, life changing events, and of course years upon years of development in an activity but usually those things become more of a hobby instead of a actual career choice for things on the arts side. Things that can be used in business can be utilized until retirement.

So that's just a little taste on my take on talent.
May 8, 2015 1:58 PM

Aug 2009
I agree with Hibs, that talent is both the traits you're born with and development and time you've sunk into those traits.

Hard work can compensate for almost everything, but if you're 5' and want to be the best basketball player ever, you're out of luck, regardless of your jumping ability, speed, team sense, ball-handling skills, etc.

Or let's talk about piano. I started piano when I was 3. I spent at least an hour on it every day, significantly more over the summer/breaks. I quit during high school because even when my pinky and thumb are parallel to each other, it was only an octave. For forte chords, I required extra finger strength because my fingers were more spread out, and for chords bigger than an octave, it was either dropping a note or a lot of rolling and pedal work. And I could never "voice" very well, even after practicing it for years ("voicing" is where you play one note louder than the rest of the chord, even when hitting all the notes at the same time). I met piano players in high school who started significantly later and practiced less than I did play Beethoven much better than me. If I tripled my practice time compared to theirs, yeah, maybe I would have been able to do equally well and pursued piano in college, but if I was getting straight As in pre-calc while sleeping through half the class and never studying, why would I want to keep pursuing something I was obviously getting left behind in? It wasn't like I loved/was passionate about piano to that degree. I might as well resign it to a hobby I pick up every couple months.

So yeah, it's mostly hard work. Nobody is just born being good at something. If you have an underutilized trait, it'll never become "talent" on its own. That said, for people without certain traits, for a lot of abilities and tasks, you'll hit a ceiling, and it takes a lot of mental fortitude and passion to work twice or three times as hard just to get the same results as somebody else, the kind of passion that exists a lot in mangas and animes and not so much in real life.

Also, is there some sort of joke I'm missing? Because it's May 8th, not April 8th, unless Speaks has a time machine that allows them to live one month in the past.
May 8, 2015 2:33 PM

Dec 2012
Selinea said:
Also, is there some sort of joke I'm missing? Because it's May 8th, not April 8th, unless Speaks has a time machine that allows them to live one month in the past.

Sweet April showers do spring May flowers.
May 9, 2015 4:31 PM

Dec 2013
Selinea said:
I quit during high school because even when my pinky and thumb are parallel to each other, it was only an octave. For forte chords, I required extra finger strength because my fingers were more spread out, and for chords bigger than an octave, it was either dropping a note or a lot of rolling and pedal work.

I guess I had a similar thing with guitar as I was able to play a lot of easy level alternative songs pretty well but I always felt that the spacing between my fingers weren't large enough or had the combo-ability to really be able to do sick guitar solo's and eventually I allocated my resources elsewhere to work on my logical traits =/.
May 9, 2015 8:59 PM

Oct 2014
Physical attributes are what make up talent in sport, but i do think that hard work contributes to how well you play sports as well. But for things that don't involve physical aspects, it gets a little more difficult to think about. For example, languages come easy to me, whether it's a computer language or speaking. I use to get A+ marks for my Chinese in school and I didn't do a single bit of study, i mean yeah some kids worked hard but if you have terrible memory you're not going to improve a lot. I'm learning Japanese right now and i find that it's a breeze, watching anime helps a lot too. I barely apply myself to the lessons but i still ace any work set.

Hard work does pay off but talent is useful to have, i belief that if you have a talent you shouldn't let it go to waste and if you like something but don't have a talent for it, you should use hard work.
May 10, 2015 2:51 PM

Aug 2009
Wymsical said:
Physical attributes are what make up talent in sport, but i do think that hard work contributes to how well you play sports as well. But for things that don't involve physical aspects, it gets a little more difficult to think about. For example, languages come easy to me, whether it's a computer language or speaking. I use to get A+ marks for my Chinese in school and I didn't do a single bit of study, i mean yeah some kids worked hard but if you have terrible memory you're not going to improve a lot. I'm learning Japanese right now and i find that it's a breeze, watching anime helps a lot too. I barely apply myself to the lessons but i still ace any work set.

Hard work does pay off but talent is useful to have, i belief that if you have a talent you shouldn't let it go to waste and if you like something but don't have a talent for it, you should use hard work.

Yeah, even though I moved to the US when I was six and English is my "primary language" that I think in and use predominantly, my spelling is still horrendous. My vocabulary is significantly bigger than my ability to spell that vocabulary, so in-class essays were awfully frustrating and full of cross outs as I try to sound things out and flip letters to see if the new spelling "looked" any more correct. My brain is just definitely not hardwired for it. Thank goodness for computers and spellcheck.
May 17, 2015 12:53 PM

Dec 2012
Speakss said:

Question 20: April 8th

Do you believe that people are born with talent or are those people just highly dedicated to their craft?

New one in Le OP
May 17, 2015 1:50 PM

Oct 2014
hmmmm, i guess is if i had a week to live i would spend it doing extremely dangerous but exhilarating things, (extreme sports). Because if you've got nothing to lose then why not? If i had 5 years then i would probably travel around a lot, i have been to many different countries but i never overspend. If i had 5 years to live i would definitely squander all my remaining money on travel. If i could live forever.... i honestly have no idea.
May 17, 2015 2:13 PM

Dec 2013
Same as always, just more depressing.
May 18, 2015 12:55 AM

Oct 2014
Alright, i gave the forever one some thought and here's my answer.

If someone could lived forever it would be pretty depressing, everyone forms relationships with people, whether it be friendship or love. Say you marry and have kids, you would watch your kids, partner and friends grow old and die leaving you alone. This would make you feel like shit and once you get over the loss you would form more relationships and the cycle would start up again. Eventually i guess i would just stop myself from interacting and forming relationships with people so i wouldn't have to repetitively feel that pain that comes with losing someone close. I don't know about other people, but for me the whole point of life is to form relationships with people so you can share your experiences and journey and when you stop the point of life then there's no point in living any longer is there? So if i could live forever it would ultimately lead to me being depressed, pessimistic and suicidal. Immortally would be lonely and i would hate it.
May 21, 2015 6:36 PM

Dec 2012
Speakss said:
Question 21: April 17th

How would you live your life if you had a week to live? How would you live your life if you had 5 years left to live? How would you live your life if you were going to live forever?

new one in le op
May 21, 2015 6:39 PM

Dec 2012
Actors: Ian Somerhelder, Ryan Gosling
Actresses: Lilly Collins, Keira Knightley

Ian, the man in the OP picture, is gorgeous. Plays in Vampire Dairies and Lost. As for Ryan Gosling I just really like his acting over all.
I found lilly Collins in Love Rosie and I was instantly in love. Man is she pretty. Keira.. best pirate for life. Probably one of my more ideal women.
May 21, 2015 7:02 PM

Dec 2013
I don't really have the actress right now where it's a must for me to watch ever single movie she is in, when i was in high school it was Ellen Page and Emma Stone. Since then I really haven't had that new person pop up that really gets me to do that anymore.

As for actors I always get a good enjoyment from Edward Norton in movies.
Really it's a bunch old guys like Johnny Depp, Denzel Washington, and Samuel L Jackson.
No one is really coming to mind from recent people, maybe Jonah Hill and Seth Rogan.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】 Opening of the Season - Day 1 (Spring 2024)

HaXXspetten - Yesterday

14 by Jozuwa-_- »»
2 hours ago

» Ishura & Tokyo Revenger

Straw_Hat_369 - 4 hours ago

0 by Straw_Hat_369 »»
4 hours ago

Sticky: » Spring 2024 Power Ranking Committee Sign-ups

Hibbington - Mar 13

44 by Tsuxken »»
Apr 24, 5:35 AM

Sticky: » 【Anime Guild】Discord Invitation Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Hibbington - Aug 7, 2016

1280 by Hibbington »»
Apr 17, 10:19 AM

Sticky: » ❤~Staff Thread~❤ ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Sep 19, 2014

1164 by RisaK »»
Apr 15, 1:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.