Forums
New
Feb 14, 2015 10:21 AM
Sep 2013
yes
bbrianNov 15, 2015 6:24 PM
Feb 14, 2015 10:24 AM

Aug 2014
We don't know the full situation. We can't give you advice.
Feb 14, 2015 10:28 AM

May 2014
I honestly think Japan and not because of anime, the simple reason is that people in Japan are extremely polite or so I've heard. its crime rates aren't that bad either.
I've been here way too long...
Feb 14, 2015 10:29 AM

Oct 2012
You won't have any hate crimes against you in any of these places, just go to the best place for your studies.
Maybe some old men will believe stereotypes about foreigners, 'xenophobia', but you won't be insulted by them... they'll just try to mind their own business.

~ join the MAL suicide pact! ~ ~ ★☭★ ~ ~ embrace nuclear annihilation! ~
Sep 2013
Consequent said:
We don't know the full situation. We can't give you advice.

What's there to know? I'll be living in one of three countries for a year and will be attending University in either three countries.
Dec 2010
TheConquerer said:
I honestly think Japan and not because of anime, the simple reason is that people in Japan are extremely polite or so I've heard. its crime rates aren't that bad either.

They are very polite indeed, but you will run into the occasional asshole who will call you a damn foreigner/American.
Feb 14, 2015 10:30 AM

Oct 2012
TheConquerer said:

They'll be polite to you in all of these countries, and the crime rate is low in all of these countries.

Feb 14, 2015 10:31 AM

Nov 2013
South Korea's the most xenophobic out of the three.

If I had to put it in order of highest to least priority, it would be China=Japan >> .. > South Korea. Japan seems like the most fun though.
Feb 14, 2015 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
Stalker-tan said:
TheConquerer said:

They are very polite indeed, but you will run into the occasional asshole who will call you a damn foreigner/American.

well, you are a foreigner

and if you get called a 'stupid' foreigner then you're probably doing something rude

americans get that in europe too

Feb 14, 2015 10:34 AM
Dec 2010
Involtus said:
Stalker-tan said:

and if you get called a 'stupid' foreigner then you're probably doing something rude

Not really, my brother's friend just got called a "dumb American" and got told that he should leave the country by some xenophobic old prune. Doesn't matter what nationality you are, if you're white then the minority of pricks will show themselves. He was German, btw.
Feb 14, 2015 10:35 AM

May 2014
Involtus said:
TheConquerer said:

They'll be polite to you in all of these countries, and the crime rate is low in all of these countries.

Well China is a bit more restrictive since Youtube is blocked there, as for Korea well I only ever hear about its Northern side.
I've been here way too long...
Feb 14, 2015 10:36 AM

Nov 2013
Involtus said:
Stalker-tan said:

You don't have to do anything wrong. They'll lash out at you for simply being of a different nationality. I've seen many occasions where Europeans will slander Americans for no reason other than the fact that they wanted to. Works the same ways with Asians. And definitely expect that type of behavior in abundance if you go to South Korea
Feb 14, 2015 10:45 AM

Oct 2012
Stalker-tan said:
Not really, my brother's friend just got called a "dumb American" and got told that he should leave the country by some xenophobic old prune. Doesn't matter what nationality you are, if you're white then the minority of pricks will show themselves. He was German, btw.

monarchyanarchy said:
You don't have to do anything wrong. They'll lash out at you for simply being of a different nationality. I've seen many occasions where Europeans will slander Americans for no reason other than the fact that they wanted to. Works the same ways with Asians. And definitely expect that type of behavior in abundance if you go to South Korea

well it's not really about doing anything 'wrong'
it's about having manners
it's not just about whether or not you're kicking a street sign, breaking the law, or threatening people
you need good body language, you've got to be humble and non-threatening, and not antisocial: but quiet and polite when you talk

the flaws of foreigners are more noticeable than the flaws of natives, because foreigners stand out...
but a lot of people just have no self-awareness

Feb 14, 2015 10:47 AM

Oct 2012
the chinese are very humble, but beyond that, their manners tend to be quite less restrictive
probably the best choice for someone who doesn't like having to be polite all of the time
VoltiiFeb 14, 2015 10:54 AM

Feb 14, 2015 10:53 AM

Feb 2012
Man, had to read the title several times before I finally understood the meaning.
Feb 14, 2015 11:10 AM

Nov 2008
Any one of the three will, there's a little racism in Japan and China (people confuse it with high amounts of prejudice) but it often doesn't go past it into hate crime territory. South Korea has more racism than Japan and China and again it doesn't go past the racism stage.

Feb 14, 2015 11:38 AM

Mar 2014
North Korea
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 14, 2015 11:47 AM

Jul 2014
i love south korea. i really do. but you will get encountered by an awful lot of racism. especially from older men and women. when i went there people were usually either like 'wow she's gorgeous' (cuz if you're white.. even if you look like literal bs they will think you look like angelina jolie or brad pitt. plus points for you if you're blonde) or it's like 'ew look at that piece of garbage'. it's not as bad if you're white but people with slightly darker skin have it really hard and get called out a lot for it. my mixed friend went to korea for a year abroad and she isn't even really that dark-skinned but it was so traumatizing for her she had to go back home.

i guess i'd choose japan. i think japan has become more open-minded towards foreigners ever since anime and manga got so big in the west. there's been a lot more tourism and people have been quite interested in japan for a while (it has only begun really recently due to kpop that people have started going to south korea for vacation and all so it's still very close-minded when it comes to foreigners) i also think the general public is rather polite. :o

anyways... if good food matters to you then i'd go for south korea. cuz..damn.. so..great.
Feb 14, 2015 11:58 AM

Feb 2012
Comic_Sans said:
North Korea
North Korea - best Korea!
Feb 14, 2015 11:58 AM

Jan 2015
South Korea, Japan and China are racist civilisations but you still can go and live there with no problem, especially if it's to study
Feb 14, 2015 2:43 PM

Dec 2013
I say Japan because while the people may act funny around you I feel like the Japanese are least likely to do something crazy or commit an act of violence against someone for their race. They also love white people so you're good
Immahnoob said:
They say Jesus walked on water.
People are made out of 79% water.
I can walk on people.
So I am 79% Jesus.
Sourire said:
I once fucked an apple pie.
Feb 14, 2015 2:53 PM

Mar 2014
TyraMisoux said:
Comic_Sans said:
North Korea

Our leader Kim Jong Un salutes you
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Feb 14, 2015 3:12 PM

Jan 2013
Prostitution is legal in Japan, and it's not as xenophobic as Korea or China.

You already know the right answer.
Feb 14, 2015 4:39 PM

Oct 2012
Rance-sama said:

not actually legal by the japanese definition of prostitution as 'intercourse'

Feb 14, 2015 5:03 PM

Mar 2008
It probably depends on what city youre in.

Rance-sama said:

Its tolerated in South Korea i heard even though illegal.
Feb 14, 2015 5:05 PM

May 2014
And the winner is!...... Japan!

Who would've guessed that outcome when you posted this question on an anime site.
I can't answer because I haven't been to any of those places. I doubt anyone here has been to all three of them, and that's really the only way to give an honest answer.
Kenjataimu mode status: 恒久
Feb 14, 2015 6:30 PM

Nov 2009
At universities you are likely spared from most of the racism that exist elsewhere in the country. I'd think academic environments aren't bad really. To be fair, if they ignore you, generally they just don't know how to deal with foreigners (because language+cultural barrier.) But just so you know, if you're gonna be picked on by the racist minority (whom I'd rather call prejudice as one of the posts above mentions) then you're likely gonna be bashed right in front of you in a language you don't understand in China, or ignored altogether in Japan (generalization yes sorry.) But those who are genuine are just like any other kind people on Earth. And assholes are assholes wherever they come from so it's not like you won't see them.

Generally the Japanese are 'politer' than the Chinese. When it comes to you doing something out of the ordinary in their eyes, the Chinese are a bit more forgiving (or rather they really don't mind as much) while the Japanese could be a lot stricter, even though they don't say it. I can't imagine you doing 'lots' of things wrong in China as in Japan.

deviantART                                    YouTube  
Feb 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Apr 2012
Definitely Japan. Most Japanese (especially youths) are friendly towards foreigners. You'll probably be approached by people who want to take a photo with you every now and then, since finding a foreigner in Japan is like finding fucking bigfoot.
Feb 14, 2015 6:32 PM

Aug 2014
TyraMisoux said:
Comic_Sans said:
North Korea

More topics from this board

Poll: » banality of evil and milgram experiment

deg - 1 hour ago

10 by DesuMaiden »»
18 minutes ago

» Will aliens finally appear this century? ( 1 2 )

Absurdo_N - Apr 7

55 by DesuMaiden »»
52 minutes ago

» which anime did you watch first, the one you saw when you were just a child?

FruitPunchBaka - 6 hours ago

11 by Dachitosoru »»
1 hour ago

» Favorite MAL thread maker?

barababas - May 4

28 by Serafos »»
1 hour ago

» can you tolerate spicy food?

removed-user - Mar 31

47 by Alriven »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.