Forum Settings
Forums

Bureaucratic bungles and computer screw-ups in government and large organizations

New
Jan 22, 2015 9:22 PM

Sep 2013
This is a topic with which I know we are all familiar. I'm sure most of us have dealt with absurd errors that are somehow automatically made by mindless drones in civil service and large private organizations or by the equally mindless computers that have replaced them in recent years. I have a story of my own to tell, and I would like to use it as a springboard for some general discussion on this persistent problem. I decided to post it here rather than in the casual discussion forum because it would likely just become a boring listing thread there.

In the United States, health care is very convoluted. Last year, I purchased a health plan through Covered California, which is the ObamaCare exchange for the state. Everything worked fine. So I went to renew the plan for this year. I signed up and made the first month's payment, and I thought that would be the end of it, but things went wrong in a rather absurd fashion.

First, I got two conflicting letters from Covered California - one indicating that my enrollment was successful, and another indicating that my enrollment was denied because I am not a member of the primary tax filer's household (which makes no sense, since I am a member of my own household, and I am the only person living here). Here, it seems like my situation split into two exclusive paths. I will call the former Path 1, and the latter Path 2. I have concluded that the system has come to believe that I am two different people, each one with exactly the same name, address, and ID number.

In Path 1, I recently got word from Covered California and from the health plan that my payment for January had not been received even though I dutifully sent the payment many days early, and it has shown up in my bank account.

In Path 2, somehow the county health authority decided to sign me up for MediCal, the government health plan for the indigent. I make far too much money to qualify, and I told them so, but their process continues to lumber on at a snail's pace as if they had never heard from me. Also, I believe my January payment got applied to Path 2, but since it was denied, I should receive a refund, but I haven't seen anything yet. Since the two paths seem to be exclusive, and the system thinks that I am two different people, the payment hasn't been credited to Path 1.

This is where the situation stands now. I'm sure it will be loads of fun disentangling it, especially since I potentially have to deal with three inefficient bureaucratic organizations - the county government, the state government, AND a private insurance company. I'm not looking for advice on how to solve this - when something this screwy happens, no advice can possibly be helpful. I'll just have to fight the system until it is fixed, however long that may take.

I'm sure some sort of computer screw-up caused this, but in years past, the exact same mistake would have been made by a dimwitted civil servant, the sort of person referred to by the British as a bowler-hatted twit, or possibly by an equally dimwitted bureaucrat at the insurance company. (In this case, I believe the problem originates with the Covered California website.)

This brings up one question. Since computers are supposed to be so reliable, why do these things keep happening? If anything, it seems like the situation is worse now than it used to be. (I have my own ideas, but I'm curious about what others have to say.)

And another general point that this brings up. What are the costs, both economic and social, of this bowler-hatted twittery and its computerized equivalent? These sorts of absurd problems must eat up loads of money and time.

Finally, is there anything that we can do about it? The cynic in me believes that this problem can never be solved, but maybe somebody has a brilliant solution.

In addition to these general points, I would be curious to hear of other people's experiences with bureaucratic bungles.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 9, 2015 7:55 PM
Oct 2008
It has been my observation that it is human error rather than computer error in most bureaucratic bungles. Computer errors are generally noticed and corrected pretty quickly (unless you work for QLD Health), in which case alternative processes are put in place until the program is corrected. Unfortunately though, too many people don't know or don't care enough about their jobs and this where most of the annoying errors start. Unfortunately with complex or unusual problems, you have to be THAT person who works the system and makes it less hassle to fix the problem than ignore it ie unfailingly polite but very persistent. Eventually your case gets put onto the office Ponder Stibbons who has the double curse of caring too much to turn down extra work and is actually competent at what they do, making them a target for extra work.

Probably the most annoying stuff up we have encountered was my husband was stopped by police for a standard breath test and was told he was illegally driving with a suspended license due to unpaid fines. It turned out a few months prior, we received a letter informing us we had an outstanding fine for not voting (voting is compulsory in Australia) and hubby's license would be suspended if we didn't pay. The electoral office had made an error and had him both enrolled at a previous address as well his updated current address, which he had voted at. So we called the electoral office, explained the situation and was told that was fine; they would take care of the matter. As it turns out, it was not sorted. The twit on the phone had given hubby the wrong information as to get it overturned, you needed to sign a statutory declaration etc. She didn't bother to call him back to correct her error if she tried to do her job at all and overturn the fine.

So my husband had to go to court to plead not guilty to driving with a suspended license and unpaid fines. He then had to write out statutory declarations for electoral commission and the court saying he had voted and there had been a stuff up which was not his fault, provide copies of everything etc.

It did get sorted out in the end and we didn't have to pay any fines (nor should we have) but the whole thing was a pain of paper work, waiting in queues and a husband who couldn't drive himself to work until it was sorted out.

Probably the worst and very public stuff up I can think of due to software error was in 2010 when Queensland Health tried to implement a new payroll program. There were over 35,000 payroll mistakes with staff overpaid, underpaid or had no pay at all and this carried on for months and it cost millions to fix up. Once again though, it comes back to human error with poor project management, rushing it in with insufficient budget and testing etc.

Has your insurance issue been resolved yet or still ongoing? :D
CottonrabbitFeb 9, 2015 8:36 PM
Feb 11, 2015 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
I agree that human error is the usual problem; I was curious to see what other people would have to say about this.

It turns out that my initial conclusion wasn't quite right. Somehow, the Covered California system had concluded (likely due to poor design) that I had no income and was therefore eligible for Medi-Cal. So Medi-Cal was able to take over my account without my permission, and it canceled the insurance I had chosen. Since my income is too high to qualify for Medi-Cal, or even for premium assistance, this was ridiculous. Unfortunately, Medi-Cal was able to lock up my account, and Covered California couldn't kick them out of it. It took weeks for me to convince Medi-Cal to get out of my account, mainly because it is practically impossible to get them on the phone, and they ignore letters and e-mails. It was finally resolved; I got them out of the account, and the good people at Covered California were able to retroactively fix the problem. It was finally fixed, once and for all, this morning.

This leads me to a rather unfortunate conclusion. Government programs for the poor are very likely to be difficult to deal with because the poor are not a politically powerful constituency.

Medi-Cal serves the poor, and it is administered by understaffed, overworked, and incompetent county health agencies. Dealing with them is a nightmare. From my recent experiences, I hope I never need Medi-Cal, and I certainly hope I never again have reason to deal with the San Diego County Health and Human Services agency.

Covered California, on the other hand, serves people at all income levels, and even rich people can acquire health insurance on the exchange. Since this service is available to a broader population, including people with the ability to make trouble if things go wrong, it works a lot better. The people who work for the program are responsive, and one doesn't have to wait on the phone for an hour or more to talk to somebody. Once I was able to get Medi-Cal out of the system, the people at Covered California were able to fix the problem in an instant. The only problem here is that some bowler-hatted twit made the decision to allow Medi-Cal to lock up people's accounts. Whoever made that decision should be sent to the glue factory.

Cottonrabbit - It sounds like Australia can be a huge pain as well, but it just has a different set of problems. In the United States, we don't have compulsory voting, so we often have low turnout elections that are dominated by extremists, and we end up being governed by lunatics. But if we had compulsory voting, I'm sure the sort of trouble you describe would occur here on a massive scale.

Incidentally, those who love to hear satirical stories of bowler-hatted twittery should check out these two radio and television series.

Men from the Ministry - a BBC radio series that ran from 1962-1977, starring two incompetent but lovable civil servants who can't do anything right. It is one of my favorite sitcoms. A bit of effort with a search engine should quickly turn up many episodes of this series.

Yes, Minister (and its sequel, Yes Prime Minister) - a BBC television and radio series that ran from 1980-1988. It explores the conflict between elected officials and an entrenched, bureaucratic civil service.

So does anybody else here have any great example of bowler-hatted twittery? It seems that it would be difficult to do worse than the ones we've seen so far in this thread.
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Feb 12, 2015 5:30 AM
Oct 2008
Unfortunately there is no answer to bowler hatted twits. Darwinism used to take care of that end of the gene pool but apparently letting them wipe themselves out and lynch mobs are no longer acceptable solutions anymore. So I have nothing.

You have my instant respect in television taste. Yes Minister and Yes Prime Minister was a brilliant series. I will have to check the radio series out.

I wish I could say our system prevents the lunatics from getting in but I am afraid our current prime minister and elected party has me alternating between anger at their policies (which have all have distinct tendency to kick the vulnerable and poor in the teeth while making the wealthy better off) or cringing in embarrassment at his latest stupidity. The worst thing is the opposition party is doing NOTHING to protest those policies. It is being left to independents in the senate to block them. I used to laugh at America under Bush but these days, I regret my mockery. Perhaps that is what happened when humans started preventing the nature from taking its course. The BHT's have been moving into politics and government because no sensible employer would have them.
CottonrabbitFeb 12, 2015 4:38 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» -

removed-user - Nov 11, 2015

0 by removed-user »»
Nov 11, 2015 3:40 AM

» Danebenreden - Political Compass Test

eririri - May 2, 2015

12 by WeirdHeather »»
Jun 7, 2015 4:12 PM

» The Brilliance of the Magnum Opus of VNs AKA Umineko no Naku Koro wtfwhocareswhatitscalledtheresananimeforit in 5-dimensional logic put into some more logical bullshit into a determinant translated into English

Penisland - Apr 11, 2015

4 by removed-user »»
May 9, 2015 8:09 AM

» Schadenfreude and Empathy: A psychological analysis on the observation and contact of the male testes

Penisland - Apr 1, 2015

1 by Measure »»
Apr 6, 2015 12:57 AM

» Video games - a legitimate art form, mindless entertainment, or corporate money machine?

WeirdHeather - Dec 13, 2014

12 by Caelidesu »»
Mar 28, 2015 4:46 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.