Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 10, 2015 5:49 PM

Mar 2014
I've been interested in this series for a long time, but I've never got around to reading it.

Today, I happened to read the reviews on MAL (and some elsewhere), and everyone seems to agree that they're really poorly written. However, a lot of people seem to like the premise and story; they just hate the writing.

What do you think? Is the series worth it, or is the writing as awful as people say?

Thanks in advance!
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Apr 17, 2015 1:58 AM

Aug 2008
Nope. They are good if you're 14 years old. Novells have a great setting, but poor language and boredom narrative. First book is worst, the next are better.
Apr 28, 2015 11:04 AM

Mar 2014
Thanks for the reply!

Perhaps I'll read them one day, but for now I'll stick with things that are actually good.

Thanks again :)
Bittenfeld said:
To tell you my honest feelings, Admiral Müller, as the groom at a wedding ceremony, the Kaiser is simply just a handsome man, I'm afraid to say. But as the supreme fleet admiral who leads entire fleets, he's really a godly person. Don't you think so, too?
Müller said:
I think he's quite godly as a groom, too.
Mar 21, 2016 10:22 PM
Oct 2009
I'm reading the first one now. I like it
Feb 25, 2017 9:11 AM
Jul 2013
I have completed Mysterious journey to the north sea part 1 and reading part 2 currently. I do like the setting and story. Some interesting characters too. Writing and story telling at places is a bit dull or poorly executed here and there if compared to proper books. For a novel it's great reading entertainment wise if you are familiar with Vampire Hunter D world already. For first timers it may not be as rewarding experience. If you have seen the movies you can appreciate the novels though. Use your imagination to fill the rest. Starting sequence might have been a bit weird in North sea part 1 but it did start to develop nicely soon enough. But some first time readers may lack patience to wait for things to get "good".

If you hesitate just give it a go. Some of the novels are rather short. There is no chronological order with books as far as i know so pic something that has promising backstory to your licking. I'm pleased myself so far. I'm not native English speaker so i was a bit skeptical at first. Naturally i have to read the English translation which is fine. From my point of view i'm not complaining if the writing seems simple or dull. At least it's understandable for someone like me.

So far i would rate the series 8/10. I understand if someone thinks 6 but i wouldn't rate lower than that even if the series were completely new to me.

Btw. is D gay? I've read some rumors that some of the novels hints that even strongly?
FornjotrFeb 25, 2017 9:18 AM
Nov 30, 2017 4:26 PM
Nov 2017
I think it would be better to say you have the mental age of someone who is 14 years old or younger if you think these novels are poorly written. Maybe some of them are a bit more simplistic than others, as the previous poster touched on, but there is a lot of interesting character interactions and fateful battle scenes packed into these short stories.
Mar 4, 2018 4:44 PM

Nov 2013
@NERigby96
Those two reviewers clearly have no idea about what they are saying. Seriously, don't trust them. It has a quite good score(8.13) here in myanimelist and in goodreads too: https://www.goodreads.com/series/59384-vampire-hunter-d
This is a masterpiece and I'm loving every line of text of it.
I really recommend it especially if you like vampires.
ColtBuntlineMar 4, 2018 4:52 PM
“Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it.”
― Saint Augustine
Jul 9, 2020 10:51 PM

Aug 2010
I personally really like this series. I've always been a fan of dark fantasy and the series feature a lot of cool elements and dark characters. Also, I think the writing is okay. I think the idea of "bad writing" has been spreading really fast and it feels that people are saying that because they were influenced to. There are best sellers out there with terrible writing and everybody says they're good. So, I think it's a matter of saying what others expect you to say.

If you are interested in reading the first volume do it, don't care what other people say. Only you can know for yourself.
Nov 8, 2021 5:16 AM

Nov 2013
Personally I've enjoyed the novels much less than I did the movies.
You all need to watch Nami.

Oct 13, 2022 1:41 PM

Feb 2016
Right now is our best chance to find out, as the ebooks are currently on sale. They're offering the 1st volume for $1, or all 29 translated volumes for $15!
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/vampire-hunter-d-dark-horse-books?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_3_layout_index_2_layout_type_threes_tile_index_2_c_vampirehunterddarkhorse_bookbundle
その目だれの目?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D Chapter 4 Discussion

sk8head - Oct 27, 2022

0 by sk8head »»
Oct 27, 2022 1:15 PM

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D Chapter 3 Discussion

sk8head - Oct 27, 2022

0 by sk8head »»
Oct 27, 2022 7:42 AM

Poll: » Vampire Hunter D Chapter 2 Discussion

sk8head - Oct 26, 2022

0 by sk8head »»
Oct 26, 2022 6:19 PM

» Do the vampire hunter d novels follow on from each other?

jimbob1141 - Jul 19, 2013

1 by Luna »»
Jul 19, 2013 3:45 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.