Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 4, 2015 7:08 PM

Sep 2012
Not adding honorifics can lead to a great loss of context and puns.
I don't get why people would want to get rid of them.
Jan 4, 2015 9:37 PM

Sep 2013
I approve of this thread. Another annoyance along that same train of thought is putting the given name before the family name in subtitles. It only makes it so much fucking harder to memorize characters when the subtitles are always wrong in your face.
Jan 4, 2015 11:08 PM

Mar 2012
In Dubs, I generally prefer that they just call them by their names like normal people do unless there's some reason otherwise. I don't know anyone who refers to their siblings as 'Big Brother' or 'Big Sis' and especially not 'Sissy'. It just sounds kind of unnatural.

With subtitles, I generally prefer them to be faithful. *cough* Commie is shit *cough cough*
Jan 5, 2015 1:47 AM

Jan 2014
I'm an honorific hater hater. :D

I dislike seeing Mr. and Mrs. in anime. I dislike when characters are using family names to refer to another, and they change it to given name... seriously!!!
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Jan 5, 2015 1:58 AM

Aug 2011
I don't care about honorifics much. The only time I get annoyed with how their subbed is when they use "Miss (Name)" instead of the simple "-san." The sentences just sound a little strange like that.

Jan 5, 2015 2:35 AM

Jul 2007
Some people/groups/companies prefer to do away with honorifics because keeping it them in is honestly considered sloppy/lazy translating. Translating is converting something from one language to another in it's entirety. Simply leaving things that are hard to translate in Japanese is considered poor translating in the industry so professional/official subs often end up translating or droping honorifics.

In fansubs honorifics are sometimes translated or dropped because they either aspire to be professional translators in the industry, or because they feel that doing so lowers the entry barrier for new fans. This last point also very much applies to official subs as well as they want to make a product that can appeal to as many consumers as possible as they are trying to make a profit.

Personally I am completely for keeping honorifics and certain things like onii-chan and onee-chan untranslated. While it is possible in many cases to translate or drop these and have the dialog sound natural the viewer viewer looses the insight they give into the relationships between the characters.

American English has quite often adopted words from other languages such as aloha, adios, sombrero, ect. Having a half dozen or so words that are left untranslated in anime that people have to learn seems reasonable to me considering how much they can influence the viewers understanding about what is going on.

Official subs will never stop translating honorifics as they need a product with as much appeal as possible, but i do wish that they could include a 2nd sub track as some fansub groups have started doing that included honorifics for seasoned anime fans that prefer them.
Jan 5, 2015 5:28 AM

Apr 2012
Caboose said:
Some people/groups/companies prefer to do away with honorifics because keeping it them in is honestly considered sloppy/lazy translating. Translating is converting something from one language to another in it's entirety. Simply leaving things that are hard to translate in Japanese is considered poor translating in the industry so professional/official subs often end up translating or droping honorifics.

In fansubs honorifics are sometimes translated or dropped because they either aspire to be professional translators in the industry, or because they feel that doing so lowers the entry barrier for new fans. This last point also very much applies to official subs as well as they want to make a product that can appeal to as many consumers as possible as they are trying to make a profit.

Personally I am completely for keeping honorifics and certain things like onii-chan and onee-chan untranslated. While it is possible in many cases to translate or drop these and have the dialog sound natural the viewer viewer looses the insight they give into the relationships between the characters.

American English has quite often adopted words from other languages such as aloha, adios, sombrero, ect. Having a half dozen or so words that are left untranslated in anime that people have to learn seems reasonable to me considering how much they can influence the viewers understanding about what is going on.

Official subs will never stop translating honorifics as they need a product with as much appeal as possible, but i do wish that they could include a 2nd sub track as some fansub groups have started doing that included honorifics for seasoned anime fans that prefer them.

Except that you need to know first what those words mean. And you never learn that if you dont see the translation first. Thats why it should be translated. No matter how many times you read and hear onii-chan you will never get its his brother, unless there is a scene showing that they live togheter or something like that. Either way, no they should translate it. I dont think they should use Ms. or anything of the sorts unless its a situation when you would use it english too tough. As in when friends talk to each other leave that shit out, just put the name without anything there.
Jan 5, 2015 7:44 AM
Mar 2011
my view biols down ot this
1 most dubbers are not traslators they are locallizers hance why all most dubs that are not the Japanese dub of simpoms done by fox Japan since that is not a loacl llised dub its proper Dub

2 Dubbing weitaher Japan or the us or who ever does it will never get better cuse of poni 1
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 5, 2015 2:38 PM

Jul 2007
baki502 said:
Caboose said:

Except that you need to know first what those words mean. And you never learn that if you dont see the translation first. Thats why it should be translated. No matter how many times you read and hear onii-chan you will never get its his brother, unless there is a scene showing that they live togheter or something like that. Either way, no they should translate it. I dont think they should use Ms. or anything of the sorts unless its a situation when you would use it english too tough. As in when friends talk to each other leave that shit out, just put the name without anything there.

dude that is easy, just have a translation note the 1st few times. i'm guessing that is how all of us learned all this shit.
Jan 5, 2015 2:41 PM

May 2013
WAD1992 said:
I'm gonna be brutally honest with you, dubbing is the WORST thing that ever happened to anime and since in almost any dub they drop the honorifics they kinda kill the mood so i kinda don't understand honorific haters, i mean seriously !!! it's part of the damn dialogue, get used to it !!!

Do you go around calling all your friends "-kun"?
Jan 5, 2015 2:48 PM

Feb 2008
They're not at all necessary. You can even drop 'sensei' and use 'coach' or 'teacher' or something instead.

Senpai and onii-chan are difficult, though, since there's no English equivalent. Good luck changing those without it sounding completely awkward.
Jan 5, 2015 3:05 PM
Mar 2011
Veronin said:
They're not at all necessary. You can even drop 'sensei' and use 'coach' or 'teacher' or something instead.

Senpai and onii-chan are difficult, though, since there's no English equivalent. Good luck changing those without it sounding completely awkward.

sensei may mean teacher but in deeper conext it would meen master master/teacher
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 5, 2015 3:12 PM

Apr 2012
Caboose said:

dude that is easy, just have a translation note the 1st few times. i'm guessing that is how all of us learned all this shit.

I still dont like it. It looks retarded as fuck to have the japanese words in there. Why leave them there if you can hear it anyway? Instead of writing Hyuka-chan, they can just write Hyuka and you will hear the -chan at the end anyway. Dont need the -chan in the subs, its just more ballast to read.
Jan 5, 2015 3:14 PM

Apr 2012
Veronin said:

Just put the name instead of senpai, problem solved. People that watch subs know what it means anyway. Or write "Mah nigga". Would be more fun.

As for onii-chan doesnt it mean little bro or big bro? I always confuse them so again I would like the translation.
Jan 5, 2015 3:18 PM
Mar 2011
baki502 said:
Veronin said:

Just put the name instead of senpai, problem solved. People that watch subs know what it means anyway. Or write "Mah nigga". Would be more fun.

As for onii-chan doesnt it mean little bro or big bro? I always confuse them so again I would like the translation.

no it does not ionly mean big brother

you like the of take the culture of japam form anime that came form Japan than dont wnatch anime anime thta you watc was made in japan so has Japanese lingou-cultural things ie ou want to erease thta fact

correct or not

it seas correct to me

Jan 5, 2015 3:24 PM

Apr 2012
FGAU1912 said:
baki502 said:

you like the of take the culture of japam form anime that came form Japan than dont wnatch anime anime thta you watc was made in japan so has Japanese lingou-cultural things ie ou want to erease thta fact

correct or not

it seas correct to me

Again, translators exist for a reason. They should know what english word comes closest to it, or make a compromise. But I dont thin having the japanese word in the subs is great. Im willing to loose some of that japanese culture for it, as long as it gets some translation. I can still hear it in the audio, anyway, so nothing is really lost.

And yeah tbh for comedies Id be all for comedic and troll translations. Fuck the culture aspect in those anime, theyre comedies and if the subs can make it even more funny I am all for it.
Jan 5, 2015 3:29 PM

Mar 2014
Are there many people who do prefer this? Personally, I think they should be put as they are in the subs, or not at all. After all everyone can recognize them after a while of watching anime.

Generally, I think it is annoying calling a person with a honorific all the time. Maybe that has to do with all the Kurosaki-kun/ Sasuke-kun that has stuck on my mind

I have a question for a while now, do japanese youth use the honorific -san when they talk and don't know each other very well, or is this restricted to anime? Because it sounds so polite that it is fucking weird to address each other like that.
Jan 5, 2015 3:32 PM
Mar 2011
baki502 said:
FGAU1912 said:

correct or not

it seas correct to me

Again, translators exist for a reason. They should know what english word comes closest to it, or make a compromise. But I dont thin having the japanese word in the subs is great. Im willing to loose some of that japanese culture for it, as long as it gets some translation. I can still hear it in the audio, anyway, so nothing is really lost.

And yeah tbh for comedies Id be all for comedic and troll translations. Fuck the culture aspect in those anime, theyre comedies and if the subs can make it even more funny I am all for it.

i cannot bare people like you who think your culture is better than some one elses

Japanese culate is in japanese made show us culture is is in us made shows ECT ECT ECT

your a cultural elitist im not you see i watch show ir movies form other places to get a eye on here pop culter you see cultural elitism will neve sit will with me

Jan 5, 2015 3:37 PM
Mar 2011
danae17 said:
Are there many people who do prefer this? Personally, I think they should be put as they are in the subs, or not at all. After all everyone can recognize them after a while of watching anime.

Generally, I think it is annoying calling a person with a honorific all the time. Maybe that has to do with all the Kurosaki-kun/ Sasuke-kun that has stuck on my mind

I have a question for a while now, do japanese youth use the honorific -san when they talk and don't know each other very well, or is this restricted to anime? Because it sounds so polite that it is fucking weird to address each other like that.

clan name san if you meat a Japanese person you will not even proper name terms with them right away and in most less westrenized asian cultres people will adress yi as sir or madam [ if you talk enlisg cause its rude to call by first name outside family [ and in smome places in japan is common to still

Jan 5, 2015 3:42 PM

Jul 2007
baki502 said:
Caboose said:

I still dont like it. It looks retarded as fuck to have the japanese words in there. Why leave them there if you can hear it anyway? Instead of writing Hyuka-chan, they can just write Hyuka and you will hear the -chan at the end anyway. Dont need the -chan in the subs, its just more ballast to read.

You are allowed to not like it. There are pluses to translating everything, such as lowering the entry barrier for new fans, but many anime fans like honorifics and stuff like aniki left in. They don't translate well and often sound/look out of place in english speech. We just feel like something is lost when these things are translated or simply dropped.
CabooseJan 5, 2015 3:48 PM
Jan 5, 2015 3:42 PM

Mar 2014
FGAU1912 said:

clan name san if you meat a Japanese person you will not even proper name terms with them right away and in most less westrenized asian cultres people will adress yi as sir or madam [ if you talk enlisg cause its rude to call by first name outside family [ and in smome places in japan is common to still

So when high schoolers in anime use it when they call out their classmates is bullshit right? Thought so, it is way too formal.
Jan 5, 2015 3:43 PM
Mar 2011
danae17 said:
FGAU1912 said:

So when high schoolers in anime use it when they call out their classmates is bullshit right? Thought so, it is way too formal.

no its not bs

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Disney Japan Executive Promises to Censor Anime

rohan121 - 5 minutes ago

0 by rohan121 »»
5 minutes ago

» What happened to magic genre ?

Yonahim_Zz - 5 hours ago

25 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you see there being another Ecchi Anime as critically acclaimed as Mushoku Tensei in the future?

Dragevard - 34 minutes ago

4 by Rhae »»
8 minutes ago

» Best Orange-hair guy in anime

RedTea33 - 48 minutes ago

2 by armob »»
18 minutes ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7184 by machy871 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.