Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 2014 2:40 PM

Jul 2014
Okay, first let me clear things up. 1. I'm not sure if this is the right forum. 2.I haven't even seen the anime. I just watched reviews on it. 3.The ending. WTF?

Okay. So Makoto (whom I will refer to as dickhead) supposedly had multiple sexual relations with many women. One of "dickhead's" girlfriends who he had sex with, thought she was pregnant. "Dickhead" says he doesn't love her anymore. She invites dickhead over, and she excuses herself to make tea. She sends dickhead a message saying "Goodbye." SHe then rushes at him, stabbing him, and then cutting off his head.

What I want to know is, how the hell did dickhead get stabbed by a girl? I'm not saying that all girls are weak, but how can he be knocked down by a girl who comes up to his chest?

Mod Edit: Modified title for clarity and/or easier searching.
sarroushOct 13, 2014 3:21 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 13, 2014 2:54 PM
Oct 2012
In terms of how he got stabbed. The girl picked up a knife, ran up to him while he was surprised, and ultimately stuck into him thus allowing the action to be called a "stabbing".

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
sarroushOct 13, 2014 3:16 PM

Jul 2008
To be fair, effectively stabbing a conscious target (not when they're sleeping, but awake and walking around) is incredibly difficult for anyone, male or female.

Unless you have practice with effectively using a blade, there is also a very good chance that it will end up lodged in your own body. And personally, I can inflict WAY more damage, far more quickly and effectively with my fists than I could with a blade. (Granted, I used to be an amateur boxer, but I believe this applies to a lot of other people who don't know how to use a blade)

So yes, an untrained teen girl not just getting an effective stab in, but killing someone with a single thrust is absurd. However, compared to all the other inane, unrealistic bullshit in that anime, it shouldn't even warrant you raising your eyebrows, let alone a dedicated topic.

Sep 2013
Kolle said:

But in terms of how he got stabbed. The girl picked up a knife, ran up to him while he was surprised, and ultimately stuck into him thus allowing the action to be called a "stabbing".

You make it sound so simple.

YoungVagabond said:
To be fair, effectively stabbing a conscious target (not when they're sleeping, but awake and walking around) is incredibly difficult for anyone, male or female.

Unless you have practice with effectively using a blade, there is also a very good chance that it will end up lodged in your own body. And personally, I can inflict WAY more damage, far more quickly and effectively with my fists than I could with a blade. (Granted, I used to be an amateur boxer, but I believe this applies to a lot of other people who don't know how to use a blade)

So yes, an untrained teen girl not just getting an effective stab in, but killing someone with a single thrust is absurd. However, compared to all the other inane, unrealistic bullshit in that anime, it shouldn't even warrant you raising your eyebrows, let alone a dedicated topic.

And you make it sound so...long and complex.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
sarroushOct 13, 2014 3:17 PM
Oct 13, 2014 2:56 PM

Jun 2011
she used her psycho B*&^@ powers
Oct 13, 2014 3:06 PM
Oct 2012
natsucule said:
Kolle said:

But in terms of how he got stabbed. The girl picked up a knife, ran up to him while he was surprised, and ultimately stuck into him thus allowing the action to be called a "stabbing".

It was pretty simple in the anime. She literally, after going through traumatic stress issues etc, decided to take the knife, go up to Makoto, and stab him. It's not like there was some crazy 5 minute scene of the girl going through multiple obstacles that she would have to get passed in order to have the knife penetrate Makoto's skin. All she did was go up to him and stab him. Nothing less nothing more.
Oct 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
Unless you have practice with effectively using a blade, there is also a very good chance that it will end up lodged in your own body.
What? I never stabbed anyone but it seems a pretty simple affair that doesn't require the utmost strength. If you watch the scene she lunges at him and sticks him in the gut with part of the force being her putting her body weight into it. She also doesn't kill him in one stab, he falls down (after being stabbed with a fairly large kitchen knife) and proceeds to get stabbed repeatedly. Also, you don't need a well made knife either anything slightly sharp or pointy gets the job done as seen in prison shankings.

Oct 13, 2014 3:18 PM
Oct 13, 2014 3:38 PM

Jul 2014
Kolle said:
natsucule said:

It was pretty simple in the anime. She literally, after going through traumatic stress issues etc, decided to take the knife, go up to Makoto, and stab him. It's not like there was some crazy 5 minute scene of the girl going through multiple obstacles that she would have to get passed in order to have the knife penetrate Makoto's skin. All she did was go up to him and stab him. Nothing less nothing more.
Well actually she didn't just go up to him and stab him. She rushed at him, stunning him, and then stabbed him.
Oct 13, 2014 3:41 PM

Jul 2014
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:
Unless you have practice with effectively using a blade, there is also a very good chance that it will end up lodged in your own body.
What? I never stabbed anyone but it seems a pretty simple affair that doesn't require the utmost strength. If you watch the scene she lunges at him and sticks him in the gut with part of the force being her putting her body weight into it. She also doesn't kill him in one stab, he falls down (after being stabbed with a fairly large kitchen knife) and proceeds to get stabbed repeatedly. Also, you don't need a well made knife either anything slightly sharp or pointy gets the job done as seen in prison shankings.
Oh I see. SHe stabbed him with the knife while he wasn't looking. But she didn't have to kill him. I mean, sure he slept with a lot of women, but why kill him?
Oct 13, 2014 3:43 PM

Oct 2012
Hotdogmaniac said:
Oh I see. SHe stabbed him with the knife while he wasn't looking. But she didn't have to kill him. I mean, sure he slept with a lot of women, but why kill him?
She's fucking crazy/ crime of passion.

Oct 13, 2014 3:45 PM

Sep 2012
sarroush said:
Thread moved & cleaned
Seriously?

Hotdogmaniac said:
Because it was fanservice.
Oct 13, 2014 3:47 PM

Jul 2014
Red_Keys said:
sarroush said:
Thread moved & cleaned
Seriously?

Hotdogmaniac said:
Because it was fanservice.
Shrabster said:
Hotdogmaniac said:
She's fucking crazy/ crime of passion.
And why did she cut off his head?
Oct 13, 2014 8:28 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:
What? I never stabbed anyone but it seems a pretty simple affair that doesn't require the utmost strength.

Yeah, that's the way most people who have never used a knife to fight reason. "It's so easy!" Similarly, people who have never been in a fight think it's "a pretty simple affair" to throw an effective punch, something that takes months, if not years of training to learn.

Shrabster said:

If you watch the scene she lunges at him and sticks him in the gut with part of the force being her putting her body weight into it.

Uh-huh. Try lunging that way at a friend of yours with a dull knife (or a plastic toy knife) and see how successful you are. You might graze him, but you're not landing the point of the blade into his stomach with your body weight behind it. It's very slow and telegraphed.

Shrabster said:
She also doesn't kill him in one stab, he falls down (after being stabbed with a fairly large kitchen knife)

Most people don't fall down from being stabbed a single time, especially not with a kitchen knife, whose points aren't that sharp or durable.

Again, the way most people get stabbed to death by a dilettante is a few dozen times in their sleep, or when the dilettante is vastly stronger than them, knife or not.

Shrabster said:
Also, you don't need a well made knife either anything slightly sharp or pointy gets the job done as seen in prison shankings.

Except that in prison, many do know how to use a blade properly, and are presumably many times larger, stronger, and faster than a 100 pound Japanese schoolgirl. You might as well compare Sekai to a professional boxer while you're at it, to show why the former can knock people out with ease with a single punch.

For those who don't know how to use a blade, they can use a knife effectively against someone conscious that they could have beaten to death bare-handed. But not against those stronger than themselves.

All things considered, a slight Japanese schoolgirl killing a conscious male classmate with nothing more than a kitchen knife, with him collapsing on the first thrust, when she is utterly clueless on how to use one is not realistic.

Anywho, this is a silly conversation. We're talking about one of the most idiotic anime series ever, based on a mindless adult visual novel with violence thrown in as an additional hook. Inanity, lack of realism, and stupid bullshit is the norm.
Oct 13, 2014 9:16 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
Yeah, that's the way most people who have never used a knife to fight reason. "It's so easy!" Similarly, people who have never been in a fight think it's "a pretty simple affair" to throw an effective punch, something that takes months, if not years of training to learn.
It's not a fight though, it's a stabbing, very different. She ran up on him and stabbed him in the stomach with what looks like a 6-8 inch Japanese chef knife. I've never been in a knife fight but I do own and collect high end knives such as SOGs, benchmades, Spydercos, Esees, and etc. as a hobby for years and know a thing or two about them, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt you don't need much strength if any to push a knife into soft material or anything slightly pointy and thin for that matter. I have no doubt knife fighting is a complex thing, knowing how to move and position yourself, gripping the knife, stance, and everything else but there are still only two things you can do with the actual knife- slash and thrust. And this is not a fight.

YoungVagabond said:
Uh-huh. Try lunging that way at a friend of yours with a dull knife (or a plastic toy knife) and see how successful you are. You might graze him, but you're not landing the point of the blade into his stomach with your body weight behind it. It's very slow and telegraphed.
Running up on someone stabbing them in the gut when they don't expect it doesn't seem that challenging. Especially if they don't expect it and are standing still. Whether or not your body weight can still be thrown into or not (I still think it can tbh) you don't need it to push something even slightly pointy and narrow into something soft. Yes, I know how that sounded.

YoungVagabond said:
Most people don't fall down from being stabbed a single time, especially not with a kitchen knife, whose points aren't that sharp or durable.

Again, the way most people get stabbed to death by a dilettante is a few dozen times in their sleep, or when the dilettante is vastly stronger than them, knife or not.
I honestly couldn't tell you, I've never been stabbed. However it doesn't seem completely out of blue for someone to stumble back in pain and fall or kneel after being stabbed with a 6 inch knife. Also the geometry of the knife she used is very good at stabbing things with the only thing better that I can think of being a straight up dagger with a spear point design. It was thin and pointy, and Japanese chef knives are well made. Regardless, you literally just need something slightly pointy that doesn't even have to be that durable for stabbing soft things like people- See prison shanks.

YoungVagabond said:
Except that in prison, many do know how to use a blade properly, and are presumably many times larger, stronger, and faster than a 100 pound Japanese schoolgirl. You might as well compare Sekai to a professional boxer while you're at it, to show why the former can knock people out with ease with a single punch.

For those who don't know how to use a blade, they can use a knife effectively against someone conscious that they could have beaten to death bare-handed. But not against those stronger than themselves.

All things considered, a slight Japanese schoolgirl killing a conscious male classmate with nothing more than a kitchen knife, with him collapsing on the first thrust, when she is utterly clueless on how to use one is not realistic.

Anywho, this is a silly conversation. We're talking about one of the most idiotic anime series ever, based on a mindless adult visual novel with violence thrown in as an additional hook. Inanity, lack of realism, and stupid bullshit is the norm.
A prisoner will more than likely be bigger and stronger, but I doubt they'd know how to use a knife anymore than a regular Joe. Prison shankings aren't really knife fights either, it's the same as catching someone of guard and repeatedly stabbing them til they die because like in this case it's easier. I honestly think your making it out to be more complicated than it is. It's not a knife fight for one, and two, he wasn't expecting it. I just don't see it being that unrealistic for someone to be stabbed while not expecting it at all, then not be able to fight back as you get repeatedly stabbed. What's 10x as unrealistic though is how Makoto got all those girls in first place.
ShrabsterOct 13, 2014 9:39 PM

Oct 13, 2014 11:35 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
It's not a fight though, it's a stabbing, very different.

Yeah, and you can say that throwing and landing an effective blow with one's fist is just "punching". Fact remains that doing it properly is very difficult, and requires lots of instruction and practice which most people don't possess.

Shrabster said:
She ran up on him and stabbed him in the stomach with what looks like a 6-8 inch Japanese chef knife. I've never been in a knife fight but I do own and collect high end knives such as SOGs, benchmades, Spydercos, Esees, and etc. as a hobby for years and know a thing or two about them, and I can say without a shadow of a doubt you don't need much strength if any to push a knife into soft material or anything slightly pointy and thin for that matter.

Fair enough. I don't handle chef knives, so you're likely correct here.

Shrabster said:
I have no doubt knife fighting is a complex thing, knowing how to move and position yourself, gripping the knife, stance, and everything else but there are still only two things you can do with the actual knife- slash and thrust. And this is not a fight.

Slashing and thrusting properly are the two most complicated elements of using a blade! That's what you seem to be ignoring.

Again, there is a perfect analogy to boxing here. Yes, boxing involves footwork, defensive head movement, feints, cutting the ring off, blocking opposing punches, and a thousand other elements.

But the most important and complex elements are the punches themselves. Throwing a proper, powerful jab, hook, or uppercut is incredibly difficult and takes a lot of training.

Shrabster said:
I honestly couldn't tell you, I've never been stabbed. However it doesn't seem completely out of blue for someone to stumble back in pain and fall or kneel after being stabbed with a 6 inch knife. Also the geometry of the knife she used is very good at stabbing things with the only thing better that I can think of being a straight up dagger with a spear point design. It was thin and pointy, and Japanese chef knives are well made. Regardless, you literally just need something slightly pointy that doesn't even have to be that durable for stabbing soft things like people- See prison shanks.

Again, prison shanks are about as comparable as the same 100-pound Japanese schoolgirl throwing a punch versus to an adult male professional boxer in terms of how much damage they can do.

I concede the point about how dangerous Seika's knife was, but you're still vastly underestimating how difficult it is to hit a target with one, and also how much damage they do on an initial thrust. (Even if it's a deep wound, the victim won't fall down immediately. Perhaps later from blood loss, but not right away)

Shrabster said:
A prisoner will more than likely be bigger and stronger, but I doubt they'd know how to use a knife anymore than a regular Joe.

Yeah, you would be surprised. The type of adult male prisoners who would shank someone in jail are far superior to the regular Joe in terms of fighting, physical strength, shooting a gun, and yes, handling a blade.

Shrabster said:
I honestly think your making it out to be more complicated than it is.

I've had a few friends I gave boxing lessons to tell me the same thing about throwing a straight right. "How hard can it be?!"

After I did no more than slap their fist head-on with an open palm (most beginners hold their wrists wrong and/or clench the fist improperly) and had them howling in pain, they realized it wasn't quite as simple as they had seen in the movies.

Shrabster said:
What's 10x as unrealistic though is how Makoto got all those girls in first place.

Well, that and a few hundred other aspects of "School Days".
Oct 14, 2014 12:20 AM

Oct 2012
The thing you seem to be missing is it wasn't a fight which is what you are comparing it to with your boxing analogies. I don't know a thing about boxing, but I know it takes a lot more strength to throw an effective punch than it does to pierce something with a knife, my point here is even though the thrust might not have been the most effective in maximizing wounds (such as where she was aiming, how much strength was put into it,) it would still cause a very serious or even fatal injury.

Strength doesn't come into play because it hardly takes any at all to pierce meat, you don't need to be 6.2 180Lb of muscle to make a grievous or fatal wound with a knife. Proper technique for slashing and thrusting don't come into to play in this situation because she was literally right on him and wasn't going to miss a completely unaware and stationary target so landing the hit never enters the equation either. My point in bringing up prison shanks was to point out how a knife doesn't have to be especially purpose built or well made to be effective, if a sharpened toothbrush can do it practically anything else can. Whether he should have been down in one stab or not I'm not sure, but it's not hard for me to believe he wouldn't be exactly be in the best condition to fight back after being stabbed with a large knife in the stomach.
ShrabsterOct 14, 2014 12:54 AM

Oct 14, 2014 1:06 AM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
The thing you seem to be missing is it wasn't a fight which is what you are comparing it to with your boxing analogies.

And you keep missing my reply to that, which is that however you want to characterize it, neither a punch nor a slash/thrust with a blade is easy to execute properly and connect with.

Shrabster said:
I don't know a thing about boxing,

Nor about stabbing with a blade, per your own admission. And yet, you're convinced because of some visual scenario you thought up.

Shrabster said:
but I know it takes a lot more strength to throw an effective punch than it does to pierce something with a knife,

Completely wrong. This is what happens when you make assumptions about subjects you don't know about.

It doesn't take raw physical strength to throw an effective punch. I could barely lift anything substantial in a gym and was very underweight when I was an amateur boxer, although my punch was harder than guys who were several times stronger than me physically.

Shrabster said:

Strength doesn't come into play because it hardly takes any at all to pierce meat,

Did you read my last reply at all? While I conceded that perhaps the knife Seika used was a razor-sharp chef's knife, actually landing that thrust straight in someone's stomach is a difficult feat.

Shrabster said:
you don't need to be 6.2 180Lb of muscle

That's actually quite skinny, heh.

Shrabster said:
Proper technique for slashing and thrusting don't come into to play in this situation because she was literally right on him and wasn't going to miss a completely unaware and stationary target so landing the hit never enters the equation either.

It's been some years, but I recall Makoto observing Seika when she was several feet away, and her lunging those several feet in a straight line towards him. He didn't move a muscle, and when stabbed, instantly collapsed, instead of screaming at the top of his lungs from the pain and trying to escape.

For whatever reason, you're defending this as logical.
Oct 14, 2014 2:31 AM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
And you keep missing my reply to that, which is that however you want to characterize it, neither a punch nor a slash/thrust with a blade is easy to execute properly and connect with.
Unless you're three feet away and the target is stationary and unsuspecting. Skill/technique is not in question here.

YoungVagabond said:
Nor about stabbing with a blade, per your own admission. And yet, you're convinced because of some visual scenario you thought up.
Not that it matters I said I know nothing about knife fighting, I use knives everyday for daily things, work, and prepping food but this is all beside the point as it's a matter of common sense and physics.

YoungVagabond said:
Completely wrong. This is what happens when you make assumptions about subjects you don't know about.

It doesn't take raw physical strength to throw an effective punch. I could barely lift anything substantial in a gym and was very underweight when I was an amateur boxer, although my punch was harder than guys who were several times stronger than me physically.

So strength has nothing to do with throwing a punch? Okay, guess what also doesn't have anything to do with strength? Stabbing someone. My point was you can literally push a knife into somebody and it will penetrate. You can not cause damage with a fist simply by pushing it into them with no force or strength behind.

YoungVagabond said:
Did you read my last reply at all? While I conceded that perhaps the knife Seika used was a razor-sharp chef's knife, actually landing that thrust straight in someone's stomach is a difficult feat.
The knife has nothing to do with it. She was three feet away and the target is stationary and unsuspecting. Skill/technique is not in question here. I don't need to stab someone with a knife to know that.

YoungVagabond said:
That's actually quite skinny, heh.
I don't gym. My point was even a 100Lb female Japanese teenager could kill some with a knife.

YoungVagabond said:
It's been some years, but I recall Makoto observing Seika when she was several feet away, and her lunging those several feet in a straight line towards him. He didn't move a muscle, and when stabbed, instantly collapsed, instead of screaming at the top of his lungs from the pain and trying to escape.

For whatever reason, you're defending this as logical.
She was three feet away and the target is stationary and unsuspecting. Skill/technique is not in question here. He did scream in pain, and fell where he tried to get his bearing and scrambled to escape. I posted the video. If you do not see how someone could be killed by a knife when the assailant is three feet away and the victim is unsuspecting and connecting is not an issue which is what your whole argument hinges on you are just being dense. The physical feats in that scene are entirely feasible and not far fetched in the least.
ShrabsterOct 14, 2014 3:25 AM

Oct 14, 2014 2:35 AM

Nov 2009
Hotdogmaniac said:

Honestly I don't think it was Sekai that did that. I think it was Kotonoha that went to Sekai's house when she wasn't there and did the job herself. Been a while since I watched it but I think the bag containing said head belonged to Kotonoha did it not?
Oct 14, 2014 3:59 AM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:
Unless you're three feet away and the target is stationary and unsuspecting. Skill/technique is not in question here.

Except the "target" clearly sees Sekai, and even reacts before being stabbed.

Shrabster said:
Not that it matters I said I know nothing about knife fighting, I use knives everyday for daily things, work, and prepping food but this is all beside the point as it's a matter of common sense and physics.

Yeah, and throwing a punch is just "a matter of common sense and physics". (Pet peeve- Non-scientists mentioning "physics" in a context where the word doesn't apply) Anyone can throw a punch as well as Tommy Hearns or Mike Tyson!

Have any more fantasy visual scenarios to pull out of your ass? Maybe you can inform us on how "elementary" it is to throw a strike with a baseball, and that any short, 100 pound Japanese schoolgirl can do it based on what you saw from a Major League pitcher?

Shrabster said:

So strength has nothing to do with throwing a punch? Okay, guess what also doesn't have anything to do with strength? Stabbing someone. My point was you can literally push a knife into somebody and it will penetrate. You can not cause damage with a fist simply by pushing it into them with no force or strength behind.

For someone who likes writing really long, inane replies about subjects he is ignorant about, you sure hate reading. Thankfully, there is copy and paste;

While I conceded that perhaps the knife Seika used was a razor-sharp chef's knife, actually landing that thrust straight in someone's stomach is a difficult feat.

Shrabster said:

She was three feet away and the target is stationary and unsuspecting. Skill/technique is not in question here. He did scream in pain, and fell where he tried to get his bearing and scrambled to escape. I posted the video. If you do not see how someone could be killed by a knife when the assailant is three feet away and the victim is unsuspecting and connecting is not an issue which is what your whole argument hinges on you are just being dense. The physical feats in that scene are entirely feasible and not far fetched in the least.

Shame I no longer live in SoCal, when Bakersfield was an hour away. I would buy you a plastic knife, and give you 30 solid seconds (several times the amount it would take to successfully run out of an apartment) to successfully stab me in the stomach from 3 feet away. I wouldn't even defend myself using strikes (punches, kicks, knees, and elbows) or use any objects like those that can be found in any apartment. I would be able to grab your arm, but that's it.

Winner would get $200 from the loser.
Oct 14, 2014 4:01 AM

Jul 2008
Riptos said:
Hotdogmaniac said:

Honestly I don't think it was Sekai that did that. I think it was Kotonoha that went to Sekai's house when she wasn't there and did the job herself. Been a while since I watched it but I think the bag containing said head belonged to Kotonoha did it not?

You are correct. Kotonoha finds Makoto's dead body in the apartment, cuts his head off, and puts it into her bag.

Incidentally, cutting off someone's head with any conventional kitchen knife, even a sharp chef's one, is a very difficult feat, nevermind for a small, frail schoolgirl.
Oct 15, 2014 11:49 AM
Sep 2014
Heh, all this talk about School Days anime, when the ending is just "To My Child" and "Bloody End" combined. I'll take "Christmas Eve" any day, know what I'm saying?
Oct 15, 2014 10:22 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
You are correct. Kotonoha finds Makoto's dead body in the apartment, cuts his head off, and puts it into her bag.

Incidentally, cutting off someone's head with any conventional kitchen knife, even a sharp chef's one, is a very difficult feat, nevermind for a small, frail schoolgirl.
This is once again incorrect and shows you don't know much about cutlery or even watched the show at this point. Kotonoha used a dozuki (hand saw) which is serrated, not a kitchen knife. The only thing semi tough to cut through would be the bone and the saw/serrations eliminates that problem. This is entirely physically possible for yes, even a teenage girl. Before you even attempt to debate me on this one I worked as a butcher for a fair amount of time at a grocery store. You seem to be confusing the unrealistic plot for unrealistic physical feats.

YoungVagabond said:
Except the "target" clearly sees Sekai, and even reacts before being stabbed.
I see this is the argument you've defaulted to since everything else you've said is completely unrelated. You clearly did not watch the video as that is not what happens. He looks up from his phone, turns around, and sees Sekai who in that split second if that jumps at him with the knife. Reaction? What reaction? Getting stabbed in the gut? It's not even a second (you can literally count it while watching the scene) before he notices her and the knife is in him. I have a hard time believing you're not just trying to troll with this response as inaccurate as it is. You are pulling at strings that don't even exist at this point. I fully expect you to ignore this as you've several other key points or default to an argument about "reaction time".

YoungVagabond said:
Yeah, and throwing a punch is just "a matter of common sense and physics". (Pet peeve- Non-scientists mentioning "physics" in a context where the word doesn't apply) Anyone can throw a punch as well as Tommy Hearns or Mike Tyson!

Have any more fantasy visual scenarios to pull out of your ass? Maybe you can inform us on how "elementary" it is to throw a strike with a baseball, and that any short, 100 pound Japanese schoolgirl can do it based on what you saw from a Major League pitcher?
Where did you even get this? It's common sense with the knowledge of physics that a thin pointy object pierces easily and I don't have to stab someone to prove this. Nice twisting and misrepresenting my argument, or are your comprehension skills that bad? I never said anything remotely close to throwing a punch is an easy task. That analogy makes no sense in the least and shows you are missing the point entirely, if you concede the knife can penetrate and takes no great force to do so, then you concede Sekai had enough strength to do so, yet you keep bringing up the comparison of her to professional athletes talking about her physical attributes which contradicts what you previously conceded to, and on top of all this you completely contradict by changing your argument to "oh, it's about making contact with the knife". Make up your mind pls.

Take a steak knife, it doesn't have to be sharp just mildly pointy and try pushing it into a couple of stacked slabs of meat and tell me how difficult it is.The entire point is that a knife requires almost no force to penetrate, and yes a 100lb school girl could do it that's how easy, it is all blade geometry (aka physics) which I do know a fair amount about. And what visual scenario? It is what happened in the scene. No more fallacies and stick to the point pls. You keep bringing up "knowing nothing about", so let me ask you how many people have you stabbed, how many times have you been stabbed, and how many "knife fighting classes" have you've been to? Funny enough for all the rank you're trying to pull all of your arguments, if you can even call them that, rely more on things you don't seem to know about and are pulled out of your ass far more than anything I've said.

YoungVagabond said:
For someone who likes writing really long, inane replies about subjects he is ignorant about, you sure hate reading. Thankfully, there is copy and paste;

While I conceded that perhaps the knife Seika used was a razor-sharp chef's knife, actually landing that thrust straight in someone's stomach is a difficult feat.
Are you playing stupid now? You must be if you keep bringing up the knife being sharp as it's completely irrelevant. You are ignoring the point of her being three feet away ambushing an unsuspecting target. These circumstances completely negate your point here. We've already deduced a knife takes hardly any effort to pierce something, yes? No it is not difficult to stab something that isn't moving and guess who what wasn't moving Makoto. Are you sure you don't have issues with reading comprehension from your days boxing? I genuinely have to ask if you don't see how her making contact with the knife isn't an issue given the situation.

YoungVagabond said:
Shame I no longer live in SoCal, when Bakersfield was an hour away. I would buy you a plastic knife, and give you 30 solid seconds (several times the amount it would take to successfully run out of an apartment) to successfully stab me in the stomach from 3 feet away. I wouldn't even defend myself using strikes (punches, kicks, knees, and elbows) or use any objects like those that can be found in any apartment. I would be able to grab your arm, but that's it.

Winner would get $200 from the loser.
You didn't watch the scene at all did you? Clearly not if that's what you're stating as the bet. What does running 30 seconds out of an apartment have to do with anything? Are we even talking about the same thing at this point? Makoto was in the apartment, looks up in time enough to see Sekai jump up at him. He was never expecting to get stabbed.

If you're going to defend your stance that it's "so completely impossible for a someone to get stabbed by a person they didn't even notice until the last second and were a mere three feet away" at least address everything especially the main point. You don't have an argument, you just keep saying things like "throwing a punch isn't easy!" (which I never claimed them to be easy to begin with), bringing up analogies that don't correlate in the least, and most of all are basing everything on a different situation than what occurred in the scene.

I will state this one final time as clearly as possible in the hopes that this not completely lost on you-

Sekai ambushed Makoto, who had no time to react, was completely clueless, and stationary, by jumping at him from three feet away and stabbing him with a knife which requires no effort to penetrate with. All of this is so possible it literally hurts and boggles the mind that I have to explain it to someone. Beyond semantics and just arguing to not appear wrong on the internet, your only case is that she couldn't hit him or make contact with the knife. I've explained in great detail why that isn't a factor, proximity and surprise.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but either your genuine lack of being unable to recognize the circumstances of the scene being completely different from the angle of your argument or you not wanting to be wrong on the internet and covering up for something completely silly you said not knowing anything about the subject is frustrating.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 1:59 AM

Oct 16, 2014 2:23 AM

Aug 2013
Eh don't want to get into a long protracted debate over inane nonsense, but stabbing someone to death is indeed difficult. The human body is incredibly resilient, and often times the surge of adrenaline in this situation tends to dull the sensation of pain in the victim. It would have been a simple matter for Makoto to grab Sekai's arm, land a blow to her face, or otherwise overpower her (all of which would be done instinctually).

It isn't entirely implausible though, especially if Makoto either possesses abnormally substandard strength (being a scrawny Japanese beta male this isn't wholly unlikely) or otherwise suffers from severe mental retardation (also not unlikely given his actions throughout the course of the show). This is especially true if Sekai managed to pierce his heart or one of his lungs with the first few strikes. However, realistically speaking this is again highly unlikely.

As YoungVagabond states, the anime's sheer inanity and stupidity should be a bigger concern.
Oct 16, 2014 2:44 AM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:

This is once again incorrect and shows you don't know much about cutlery or even watched the show at this point. Kotonoha used a dozuki (hand saw) which is serrated, not a kitchen knife. The only thing semi tough to cut through would be the bone and the saw/serrations eliminates that problem. This is entirely physically possible for yes, even a teenage girl. Before you even attempt to debate me on this one I worked as a butcher for a fair amount of time at a grocery store. You seem to be confusing the unrealistic plot for unrealistic physical feats.

I will take your word on that.

Shrabster said:
Where did you even get this? It's common sense with the knowledge of physics that a thin pointy object pierces easily and I don't have to stab someone to prove this.

Damn, I told you my pet peeve is people completely ignorant about science using "physics" incorrectly, and you write THIS? Urgh. The human skin being pierced easily or not by a knife is not "physics"; it's probably closer to "physiology".

Shrabster said:
You keep bringing up "knowing nothing about", so let me ask you how many people have you stabbed, how many times have you been stabbed, and how many "knife fighting classes" have you've been to?

I only stab people who use the word "physics" improperly.

Shrabster said:
Blah Blah Blah

You have to love how earnestly people with no knowledge of a subject will construct a fantasy scenario in their mind and then argue it to the death. There's no real way to convince them that hey, some part of that scenario isn't true to reality (like it being easy to effectively stab someone with a kitchen knife, surprised of not, with no knowledge of how to use a blade), so the most you can do is try to profit off their stupidity.

Alas, I no longer live in SoCal!

Jotaro_Kujo said:
Eh don't want to get into a long protracted debate over inane nonsense, but stabbing someone to death is indeed difficult. The human body is incredibly resilient, and often times the surge of adrenaline in this situation tends to dull the sensation of pain in the victim. It would have been a simple matter for Makoto to grab Sekai's arm, land a blow to her face, or otherwise overpower her (all of which would be done instinctually).

It isn't entirely implausible though, especially if Makoto either possesses abnormally substandard strength (being a scrawny Japanese beta male this isn't wholly unlikely) or otherwise suffers from severe mental retardation (also not unlikely given his actions throughout the course of the show). This is especially true if Sekai managed to pierce his heart or one of his lungs with the first few strikes. However, realistically speaking this is again highly unlikely.

As YoungVagabond states, the anime's sheer inanity and stupidity should be a bigger concern.

Well-stated.
Oct 16, 2014 3:02 AM

Oct 2012
Jotaro_Kujo said:

You wouldn't happen to be an alt would you? Or do you also like to use the word inane a lot and just not post much? It doesn't matter either way. No one is arguing how ridiculous the plot is. Stabbing people to death is tough I agree, Sekai sure didn't seem to have an easy time with it given she had to stab him quite a lot after an initially planned out ambush. I won't pretend I know how adrenaline works and say whether or not a completely surprised and unsuspecting Makoto could have tanked his way through all those stab wounds or be completely unphased by a six inch long, wide knife going into him multiple times, adrenaline or not, but if I had to put my money on one I know which one I'd go for.

YoungVagabond said:
[spoiler]
Shrabster said:

I will take your word on that.

Shrabster said:
Where did you even get this? It's common sense with the knowledge of physics that a thin pointy object pierces easily and I don't have to stab someone to prove this.

Damn, I told you my pet peeve is people completely ignorant about science using "physics" incorrectly, and you write THIS? Urgh. The human skin being pierced easily or not by a knife is not "physics"; it's probably closer to "physiology".

Shrabster said:
You keep bringing up "knowing nothing about", so let me ask you how many people have you stabbed, how many times have you been stabbed, and how many "knife fighting classes" have you've been to?

I only stab people who use the word "physics" improperly.

Shrabster said:
Blah Blah Blah

You have to love how earnestly people with no knowledge of a subject will construct a fantasy scenario in their mind and then argue it to the death. There's no real way to convince them that hey, some part of that scenario isn't true to reality (like it being easy to effectively stab someone with a kitchen knife, surprised of not, with no knowledge of how to use a blade), so the most you can do is try to profit off their stupidity.

Alas, I no longer live in SoCal!

Jotaro_Kujo said:

Well-stated.
[/spoiler] You made a baseless assumption about something you knew nothing about, got called out on it, and then proceeded to use every trick in the book to try and turn it around. You still are, ignoring every single point, trying to shift the argument to something else, and resorting to insults because you haven't had any sort of logical argument since your second post which just continue to become more hollow. You are the worst kind of ignorant and would rather spread misinformation than simply admit you didn't think your post through when it's so disgustingly transparent, and clearly I should have never bothered wasting my time on you.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 2:00 PM

Oct 16, 2014 7:51 AM
Oct 2013
Whether you like it or not, physics is involved here. I'd say even more so than physiology itself. The human (belly) flesh is easy to pierce if a full body lunge is performed. Yes, a 100lb girl running at full speed is enough to pierce through. Yes, people have natural instincts and have eyes good enough to see a 100lb woman running towards them with a knife 3-6ft away. I'm pretty sure you've had a needle struck in your body before (immunization, blood donation, fluids, dextrose, whatever). The person who applies the need do not need to mash the needle into the skin. All it took was gentle force. By the same logic, the knife would work the same but with a bit more force. So yeah, Shrabster did not use physics inappropriately. We are not exactly how bodily functions or organs interact with each other. It just so happened that the target of the knife is a human body and the situation would really be not that different if it were a sand bag instead of Makoto.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the reflexes nor the skill to evade or counter. Remember, Makoto is not a fighter. Also, Makoto is also unaware of the situation. Also, Sekai is working with a purpose and driven by emotions. If anything, Sekai has had tons of adrenaline running in her body not Makoto. Adrenaline does not work at lightning speed but it does work pretty quickly. Remember, this is not a fight where adrenaline kicks in preemptively before the bout begins.

Speaking of pain tolerance, try to consider that Makoto is still a young dude. He's not a fully built adult. Not to mention, a knife can really mess several organs at once in one stab. There may also be emotional factors to be considered. Even if Makoto is a fully grown adult, I doubt he's one of the select few people who can stand up after taking a deep stab and should be able to combat an emotionally crazed woman.
Oct 16, 2014 2:11 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
You wouldn't happen to be an alt would you?

You are getting into tinfoil hat territory here. Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is an alt of mine. It's all a giant conspiracy.

frozentime4 said:
Whether you like it or not, physics is involved here. I'd say even more so than physiology itself. The human (belly) flesh is easy to pierce if a full body lunge is performed. Yes, a 100lb girl running at full speed is enough to pierce through. Yes, people have natural instincts and have eyes good enough to see a 100lb woman running towards them with a knife 3-6ft away. I'm pretty sure you've had a needle struck in your body before (immunization, blood donation, fluids, dextrose, whatever). The person who applies the need do not need to mash the needle into the skin. All it took was gentle force. By the same logic, the knife would work the same but with a bit more force. So yeah, Shrabster did not use physics inappropriately. We are not exactly how bodily functions or organs interact with each other. It just so happened that the target of the knife is a human body and the situation would really be not that different if it were a sand bag instead of Makoto.

Unfortunately, not everyone has the reflexes nor the skill to evade or counter. Remember, Makoto is not a fighter. Also, Makoto is also unaware of the situation. Also, Sekai is working with a purpose and driven by emotions. If anything, Sekai has had tons of adrenaline running in her body not Makoto. Adrenaline does not work at lightning speed but it does work pretty quickly. Remember, this is not a fight where adrenaline kicks in preemptively before the bout begins.

Speaking of pain tolerance, try to consider that Makoto is still a young dude. He's not a fully built adult. Not to mention, a knife can really mess several organs at once in one stab. There may also be emotional factors to be considered. Even if Makoto is a fully grown adult, I doubt he's one of the select few people who can stand up after taking a deep stab and should be able to combat an emotionally crazed woman.

You all keep missing the point. A knife can do significant damage if it connects, but connecting with the person's body is the hard part. And no, wild lunges by a schoolgirl that has never handled a blade are not particularly difficult to evade. I know this from personal experience, not fantasy scenarios I conjured up in my head.

frozentime4 said:
Also, Sekai is working with a purpose and driven by emotions.

As someone who has been in (many) fights, being "driven by emotions" is a major handicap, making that person's movement much slower and more telegraphed.

Anywho, you can believe what you want. Conversation became stale and dumb a while ago.
YoungVagabondOct 16, 2014 2:22 PM
Oct 16, 2014 3:08 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
You all keep missing the point. A knife can do significant damage if it connects, but connecting with the person's body is the hard part. And no, wild lunges by a schoolgirl that has never handled a blade are not particularly difficult to evade. I know this from personal experience, not fantasy scenarios I conjured up in my head.
Why don't you explain why she couldn't connect instead of repeating that one line over and over again, define "proper use of a blade", what this "fantasy scenario" is that you keep mentioning, and where does your experience come from. It would be a proper debate if you could answer those but you can't because you are talking out of your ass and have been the whole time and now are just in flat out denial.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 3:19 PM

Oct 16, 2014 3:23 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:
Why don't you explain instead why she couldn't connect instead repeating that one line over and over again,

It's easy enough in Spazter's imagination, of course. Then again, this is the same dude who thinks JotaroKujo is an alt of mine, so his brain is fairly poor at processing information.

Again, I'm sure he thinks throwing a fastball strike is easy, too. "What skill? You just throw a ball really fast! It's simple! I've seen Major league pitchers do it, so why can't everyone else?"

what fantasy scenario is it that you keep mentioning,

The stupid one you keep posting over and over in this topic, where a human being is a completely stationary target that doesn't react to danger or even violently scream and try to stagger away after a single stab wound. (Most people dying of knife wounds are stabbed 20+ times before bleeding out)

You can't because you are talking out of your ass and have been the whole time.

Says the spaz who has never tried to stab anyone with a knife, has never had anyone stab him (I have), knows nothing about boxing yet discusses that too, argues like a little child throwing a temper tantrum, and believes two different users daring to disagree with him MUST be alts.
Oct 16, 2014 3:44 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
It's easy enough in Spazter's imagination, of course. Then again, this is the same dude who thinks JotaroKujo is an alt of mine, so his brain is fairly poor at processing information.

Again, I'm sure he thinks throwing a fastball strike is easy, too. "What skill? You just throw a ball really fast! It's simple! I've seen Major league pitchers do it, so why can't everyone else?
Once again you are trying to turn the argument into something else. No one is claiming anything like this.

YoungVagabond said:
The stupid one you keep posting over and over in this topic, where a human being is a completely stationary target that doesn't react to danger or even violently scream and try to stagger away after a single stab wound. (Most people dying of knife wounds are stabbed 20+ times before bleeding out.
Do you not see that this is based on the events of the actual scene? There is no scenario to be debated only whether the scene was feasible and the scene did not play out like you described at all. You're changing your argument again, first the issue was connecting with the blade and now it's Makoto reactions being unrealistic. Choose one. Either way I've already discussed at length why both of those arguments are complete bullshit.

YoungVagabond said:
Says the spaz who has never tried to stab anyone with a knife, has never had anyone stab him (I have), knows nothing about boxing yet discusses that too, argues like a little child throwing a temper tantrum, and believes two different users daring to disagree with him MUST be alts.
Throwing insults and trying to discredit me once again because you still have no logical argument. You've been stabbed? I'm sorry to hear that if it's true. Please go on and tell me how similar it is to this situation. Still waiting to hear the definition of proper blade handling you keep bringing up and how she would have had a hard time connecting, but I guess I'll never know with your very selective reading.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 4:08 PM

Oct 16, 2014 4:16 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
You've been stabbed? I'm sorry to hear that if it's true.

This part I will clarify for others interested. I had someone try to stab me. This was an idiot I knew back around the time I was 14. After I beat him up in a fight, he ran to his house and came back with a kitchen knife. He took a couple of swings at me that badly missed, then decided to go back home before things became worse. (One of my friends saw what was happening and had just run up to the scene)

Keep in mind that when he came at me with a knife, I wasn't trying to run away, which I easily could have; I was waiting for an opportunity to grab his arm and take the weapon away. I wasn't a badass at 14, either; this was before I started boxing, many years before I started submission grappling, and had just begun strength training. I was also severely underweight for my height.

And this guy was a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than Sekai. I was about 6' 2" and 150 pounds at the age of 14, and he was probably 5' 10" and 140 pounds.

Sorry, reality is very different from a shitty anime adapted from an eroge visual novel.
Oct 16, 2014 4:37 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
Shrabster said:
You've been stabbed? I'm sorry to hear that if it's true.

This part I will clarify for others interested. I had someone try to stab me. This was an idiot I knew back around the time I was 14. After I beat him up in a fight, he ran to his house and came back with a kitchen knife. He took a couple of swings at me that badly missed, then decided to go back home before things became worse. (One of my friends saw what was happening and had just run up to the scene)

Keep in mind that when he came at me with a knife, I wasn't trying to run away, which I easily could have; I was waiting for an opportunity to grab his arm and take the weapon away. I wasn't a badass at 14, either; this was before I started boxing, many years before I started submission grappling, and had just begun strength training. I was also severely underweight for my height.

And this guy was a hell of a lot bigger and stronger than Sekai. I was about 6' 2" and 150 pounds at the age of 14, and he was probably 5' 10" and 140 pounds.

Sorry, reality is very different from a shitty anime adapted from an eroge visual novel.
Except you saw him coming at you with a knife which is not what happened in the scene.

Oct 16, 2014 7:12 PM

Aug 2013
Shrabster said:
Jotaro_Kujo said:

You wouldn't happen to be an alt would you? Or do you also like to use the word inane a lot and just not post much? It doesn't matter either way. No one is arguing how ridiculous the plot is. Stabbing people to death is tough I agree, Sekai sure didn't seem to have an easy time with it given she had to stab him quite a lot after an initially planned out ambush. I won't pretend I know how adrenaline works and say whether or not a completely surprised and unsuspecting Makoto could have tanked his way through all those stab wounds or be completely unphased by a six inch long, wide knife going into him multiple times, adrenaline or not, but if I had to put my money on one I know which one I'd go for.

I tried to be civil with you, and your first response is to accuse me of being an alt because I happened to agree with another poster? Are you fucking serious? You would make that claim even though a cursory glance through our respective profiles should tell you how completely asinine that would be?

I don't frequent these forums often, and your post reminds me why I don't. You are hearing the word "inane" a lot because it is an apt description for you, your arguments, and this idiotic topic. No one is indeed arguing how ridiculous the plot is - that is a subject for another discussion. The argument was concerning the plausibility of a frail, inexperienced girl wielding a knife effectively enough to kill someone who by all counts should be strong enough to repel such an attack. You severely underestimate the strength gap here and the sheer difficulty of killing someone with a knife. Your laughable references to physics offend my sensibilities, as does your stupidity.
Oct 16, 2014 9:07 PM

Oct 2012
Jotaro_Kujo said:
Shrabster said:

I tried to be civil with you, and your first response is to accuse me of being an alt because I happened to agree with another poster? Are you fucking serious? You would make that claim even though a cursory glance through our respective profiles should tell you how completely asinine that would be?

I don't frequent these forums often, and your post reminds me why I don't. You are hearing the word "inane" a lot because it is an apt description for you, your arguments, and this idiotic topic. No one is indeed arguing how ridiculous the plot is - that is a subject for another discussion. The argument was concerning the plausibility of a frail, inexperienced girl wielding a knife effectively enough to kill someone who by all counts should be strong enough to repel such an attack. You severely underestimate the strength gap here and the sheer difficulty of killing someone with a knife. Your laughable references to physics offend my sensibilities, as does your stupidity.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt even though your post just convinces me more of my initial suspicions with you using the same exact descriptive words, anger at me implying you were an alt, something I didn't even press on about and even said it didn't matter, your lack of knowledge concerning the definition of the word physics, and now your contradictory stance and same piss poor unexplained argument. It's already been deduced that a frail (the same word Vagabond loved to use to describe her for whatever reason) teenage girl could still effectively stab someone because the tool does 99% of the work when comes to knives. Also, how exactly is she frail? There's nothing to indicate this, sure Makoto would probably stronger being a guy but that's about the extent of it, other then that there is nothing implied that they are above or below average physical condition. Funny how you both seem to completely ignore the main point of it being a surprise attack which changes the difference in strength equation entirely. What exactly would she need experience in? Maybe you can answer those questions since Vagabond certainly couldn't but I fully expect you not to since you're "hardly on the forums" and already turning to insults due to lack of an argument just like Vagabond.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 9:22 PM

Oct 16, 2014 10:28 PM

Aug 2013
My god you're an obtuse fool. If you had the brains or the means to do so, you would check my profile and realize that my update history and the infrequency of my posts would lend credence both to the fact that I prefer not to post here often (due to the insufferable idiocy that I tend to run into, case in point here with you) and to the fact that YoungVagabond and I are completely different people. If you were even more resourceful (very doubtful at this point), you would be able to check our IP addresses and confirm this. That you would even resort to this line of thinking betrays your vapidity and imbecility. You are best advised to drop this point before embarrassing yourself any further.

My lack of knowledge concerning physics? I don't know you, but I guarantee that I know far more about math and physics than you do. My point about your blithely throwing about the word "physics" in this context has to do with how invoking basic classical mechanics (principles of force and momentum are high school concepts, you are not impressing anyone by blurting out "physics") in a highly complex real-world situation is as relevant as applying basic kinematics to basketball. You are attacking a strawman when you claim that it is physically implausible for a ~100 lb. teenage girl to stab someone. NO ONE has claimed this, and if you had any reading comprehension you would have seen my first post and realized that I stated it wasn't entirely implausible for such a scenario to play out.

The debate has to do with the plausibility of a weak girl killing someone stronger with a knife, not if it's physically possible or not for her to do so. An example would be a streetfight between two people, let's say a 5'10'' 120 lb. man vs. a 6'1" 240 lb. man. Yes, it is possible for the weaker man to physically muster up the strength to knock out the bigger man. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS BEING DEBATED. The debate centers on the chances of that happening, which would need to take into account their skills, their builds, their mental states, etc. Just as you harp on endlessly about the physical plausibility of Sekai stabbing Makoto (which no one has refuted), but ignore that what YoungVagabond and I are talking about is what would realistically happen in such a situation. It's a very nuanced discussion, and your lack of knowledge on basic physiology (the effects of adrenaline, fight-or-flight), combat situations, and the overwhelming disparity in strength between males and females leads me to believe that continuing to explain this to you would be akin to teaching differential geometry to a monkey.
Oct 16, 2014 10:30 PM

Apr 2014
This is getting interesting ^^^
Oct 16, 2014 11:02 PM

Oct 2012
Jotaro_Kujo said:
My god you're an obtuse fool. If you had the brains or the means to do so, you would check my profile and realize that my update history and the infrequency of my posts would lend credence both to the fact that I prefer not to post here often (due to the insufferable idiocy that I tend to run into, case in point here with you) and to the fact that YoungVagabond and I are completely different people. If you were even more resourceful (very doubtful at this point), you would be able to check our IP addresses and confirm this. That you would even resort to this line of thinking betrays your vapidity and imbecility. You are best advised to drop this point before embarrassing yourself any further.

My lack of knowledge concerning physics? I don't know you, but I guarantee that I know far more about math and physics than you do. My point about your blithely throwing about the word "physics" in this context has to do with how invoking basic classical mechanics (principles of force and momentum are high school concepts, you are not impressing anyone by blurting out "physics") in a highly complex real-world situation is as relevant as applying basic kinematics to basketball. You are attacking a strawman when you claim that it is physically implausible for a ~100 lb. teenage girl to stab someone. NO ONE has claimed this, and if you had any reading comprehension you would have seen my first post and realized that I stated it wasn't entirely implausible for such a scenario to play out.

The debate has to do with the plausibility of a weak girl killing someone stronger with a knife, not if it's physically possible or not for her to do so. An example would be a streetfight between two people, let's say a 5'10'' 120 lb. man vs. a 6'1" 240 lb. man. Yes, it is possible for the weaker man to physically muster up the strength to knock out the bigger man. BUT THAT IS NOT WHAT IS BEING DEBATED. The debate centers on the chances of that happening, which would need to take into account their skills, their builds, their mental states, etc. Just as you harp on endlessly about the physical plausibility of Sekai stabbing Makoto (which no one has refuted), but ignore that what YoungVagabond and I are talking about is what would realistically happen in such a situation. It's a very nuanced discussion, and your lack of knowledge on basic physiology (the effects of adrenaline, fight-or-flight), combat situations, and the overwhelming disparity in strength between males and females leads me to believe that continuing to explain this to you would be akin to teaching differential geometry to a monkey.
I used the word physics because it was the proper fucking word to explain it. Once again with the useless comparisons, because you are comparing it to a fight assuming both had equal opportunities to defend themselves which was not the case. Watch the scene, it was not a fight. The irony in you calling my argument a strawman is unbelievable as I never disputed the complexities of any of the unrelated fighting scenarios that are being brought up yet that's what both of you keep arguing. The plausibility of a weaker person killing someone with a knife is very high if they attack them before they have the chance to defend themselves just like what happened in the scene. Vagabond was certainly disputing this with his argument being she couldn't make contact yet never explaining how just like you. You avoid any questions and points presented to you and default to more insults, as usual. Come back when your arguments have some sort of merit or substance.
ShrabsterOct 16, 2014 11:41 PM

Oct 16, 2014 11:50 PM

Aug 2013
Shrabster said:
Jotaro_Kujo said:

I used the word physics because it was the proper fucking word to explain it. Once again with the useless comparisons, because you are comparing it to a fight assuming both had equal opportunities to defend themselves which was not the case. Watch the scene, it was not a fight. The plausibility of a weaker person killing someone with a knife is very high if they attack them before they have the chance to defend themselves just like what happened in the scene. Vagabond was certainly disputing this with his argument being she couldn't make contact yet never explaining how just like you. You avoid any questions and points presented to you and default to more insults, as usual. Come back when your arguments have some sort of merit or substance.

My fucking God can you not read? NO ONE CLAIMS IT'S A FIGHT. I don't know about Vagabond, but the reason I brought up the simple example of a fight is to demonstrate to you the nuances that come into any physical altercation, regardless of whether or not it was a fair fight or was initiated as a result of an unequal situation. In fact, if I remember correctly Sekai blindsided Makoto and stabbed him starting from a distance of several feet. Certainly this is not a traditional fight with equal opportunities, and it is plausible that Sekai would land a stab on Makoto with these situations. THIS I DO NOT DISPUTE, AND HAVE NEVER DISPUTED. This is why I laugh at your invoking physics haphazardly, because OF COURSE it's physically plausible. Never have I denied this.

If you had the brains you would reread my posts, and would realize that I was not debating the physical plausibility of landing a stab, though there are nuances that go into a discussion of whether or not the initial stab attempt would be successful - nuances that I've tried to address and you've ignored. Rereading my posts, you would see that I CLEARLY allowed for the situation to play out where Makoto is successfully stabbed, and even addressed how a wound to the heart or one of his lungs would allow her to successfully kill Makoto. I ACKNOWLEDGED THIS, and said verbatim that it was not wholly implausible. Yet you fucking ignore this like a trained monkey, and still harp on points which have already been addressed. The debate centers on the plausibility of Sekai successfully killing, not merely landing an initial strike. Anyone with even a modicum of logic would then successfully understand why I then brought up the point of adrenaline, and how after the initial strike it would be realistic for Makoto to react instinctively to try to repel her attacks - hence the point about physical ability now coming into play!

Listen, I don't know about YoungVagabond, but I'm actually willing to be patiently listen and address your arguments, if they were actually substantial and didn't completely fucking ignore every point I made. I only responded because of how annoyed I was at how obtuse you were, and your insinuation that I had to be an alt, because there is certainly no way that more than one person could disagree with you.
Oct 17, 2014 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
Jotaro_Kujo said:
It's a very nuanced discussion, and your lack of knowledge on basic physiology (the effects of adrenaline, fight-or-flight), combat situations, and the overwhelming disparity in strength between males and females leads me to believe that continuing to explain this to you would be akin to teaching differential geometry to a monkey.

Now now, I would easily take a chimp or even gibbon of average intelligence over Spazster. Don't know about differential geometry, but I can probably teach the pro-simian the Heine-Borel Theorem from general topology before getting Spazter to acknowledge that his silly fantasies aren't reality.

And yes, Spazster is throwing around the word "physics", a subject he is as ignorant about as everything else, to sound smart. It has as much to do with the question of stabbing a moving target as it does with punching it. Nothing.

I am curious what would happen if I asked him what physical phenomena is pertinent to this case, though. (We never did study how a stab wound would effect a human being in any of my physics classes...that was the med students) Guarantee this dolt probably couldn't name you any of Newton's Three Laws without looking them up, and would probably still screw up the formulation of the 1st or 3rd one after looking it up.
Oct 17, 2014 1:31 AM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
[spoiler]
Jotaro_Kujo said:
It's a very nuanced discussion, and your lack of knowledge on basic physiology (the effects of adrenaline, fight-or-flight), combat situations, and the overwhelming disparity in strength between males and females leads me to believe that continuing to explain this to you would be akin to teaching differential geometry to a monkey.

Now now, I would easily take a chimp or even gibbon of average intelligence over Spazster. Don't know about differential geometry, but I can probably teach the pro-simian the Heine-Borel Theorem from general topology before getting Spazter to acknowledge that his silly fantasies aren't reality.

And yes, Spazster is throwing around the word "physics", a subject he is as ignorant about as everything else, to sound smart. It has as much to do with the question of stabbing a moving target as it does with punching it. Nothing.

I am curious what would happen if I asked him what physical phenomena is pertinent to this case, though. (We never did study how a stab wound would effect a human being in any of my physics classes...that was the med students) Guarantee this dolt probably couldn't name you any of Newton's Three Laws without looking them up, and would probably still screw up the formulation of the 1st or 3rd one after looking it up.
[/spoiler] You are something else. Sorry, but physics do play a part in what we're are talking about unlike moving targets and this fantasy you keep bringing up though it's been discussed a thousand times. Incorrectly claiming my use of word "physics" being wrong is one thing, but saying I was using it to sound smart? If anyone is trying to "sound smart" it's you, considering you're trying to discredit me by using nothing but insults, and playing the "expert game". Ignorant is also a funny claim to make when I'm not the one posting all this misinformation about knives, physics, or even the show itself. Keep coming up with more colorful analogies and evading all the facts and points being made though, that will certainly help your argument or rather lack of one.

Jotaro_Kujo said:
[spoiler]
Shrabster said:
I used the word physics because it was the proper fucking word to explain it. Once again with the useless comparisons, because you are comparing it to a fight assuming both had equal opportunities to defend themselves which was not the case. Watch the scene, it was not a fight. The plausibility of a weaker person killing someone with a knife is very high if they attack them before they have the chance to defend themselves just like what happened in the scene. Vagabond was certainly disputing this with his argument being she couldn't make contact yet never explaining how just like you. You avoid any questions and points presented to you and default to more insults, as usual. Come back when your arguments have some sort of merit or substance.

My fucking God can you not read? NO ONE CLAIMS IT'S A FIGHT. I don't know about Vagabond, but the reason I brought up the simple example of a fight is to demonstrate to you the nuances that come into any physical altercation, regardless of whether or not it was a fair fight or was initiated as a result of an unequal situation. In fact, if I remember correctly Sekai blindsided Makoto and stabbed him starting from a distance of several feet. Certainly this is not a traditional fight with equal opportunities, and it is plausible that Sekai would land a stab on Makoto with these situations. THIS I DO NOT DISPUTE, AND HAVE NEVER DISPUTED. This is why I laugh at your invoking physics haphazardly, because OF COURSE it's physically plausible. Never have I denied this.

If you had the brains you would reread my posts, and would realize that I was not debating the physical plausibility of landing a stab, though there are nuances that go into a discussion of whether or not the initial stab attempt would be successful - nuances that I've tried to address and you've ignored. Rereading my posts, you would see that I CLEARLY allowed for the situation to play out where Makoto is successfully stabbed, and even addressed how a wound to the heart or one of his lungs would allow her to successfully kill Makoto. I ACKNOWLEDGED THIS, and said verbatim that it was not wholly implausible. Yet you fucking ignore this like a trained monkey, and still harp on points which have already been addressed. The debate centers on the plausibility of Sekai successfully killing, not merely landing an initial strike. Anyone with even a modicum of logic would then successfully understand why I then brought up the point of adrenaline, and how after the initial strike it would be realistic for Makoto to react instinctively to try to repel her attacks - hence the point about physical ability now coming into play!

Listen, I don't know about YoungVagabond, but I'm actually willing to be patiently listen and address your arguments, if they were actually substantial and didn't completely fucking ignore every point I made. I only responded because of how annoyed I was at how obtuse you were, and your insinuation that I had to be an alt, because there is certainly no way that more than one person could disagree with you.
[/spoiler] I apologize for assuming you were an alt if it makes you that upset. I am extremely glad we're pass the point of Sekai landing the strike, I cannot stress that enough.

Your argument is that one of the possibilities is that Makoto could instinctively grab the knife and overpower Sekai. Fair enough, but if tanking through a 6 inch blade going into your stomach and instinctively grabbing the knife were that easy there would be a lot less knife related fatalities. As you've said it's only one of the possibilities. That being said, he tries to get away in the scene so his reaction wasn't to fight at all but to escape which he failed at. This just brings me back to my original point that the scene is not that unrealistic and portrays the struggle adequately.
ShrabsterOct 26, 2014 4:07 AM

Oct 21, 2014 5:42 PM
Oct 2013
YoungVagabond said:
Shrabster said:
You wouldn't happen to be an alt would you?

You are getting into tinfoil hat territory here. Yes, everyone who disagrees with you is an alt of mine. It's all a giant conspiracy.

frozentime4 said:

frozentime4 said:
Also, Sekai is working with a purpose and driven by emotions.

As someone who has been in (many) fights, being "driven by emotions" is a major handicap, making that person's movement much slower and more telegraphed.

Anywho, you can believe what you want. Conversation became stale and dumb a while ago.

1. Whether Sekai knew how to use a blade or not does not matter here.
2. Emotions (rage and feeling driven or "in the zone) allow people to act more instinctively (assuming the person does not have sufficient knowledge of what to do). I know it is a handicap in most other situations where people know what to do (in a professional sport or fight)
3. A human body is a large target, an unsuspecting sitting duck is an easy target, an unprofessional, unskilled person, is an even easier target. This applies in the real world and nature too. Predators and hunters go for the unsuspecting (or already dying) victims.

Points you keep on missing...
- Sekai's skill does not matter as the stab already occurred.
- THIS IS NOT A FIGHT. This is a one sided encounter. Unsuspecting person vs an armed and determined chick.
- Makoto is also unskilled
- People are big targets, easy enough to pierce if all they can do is turn around.
- Sekai had a plan...Makoto only had a phone

Please either one of you find another argument as to why or how this is 100% impossible or refute these facts (and safe assumptions about their skills seeing how neither of the two parties involved have shown any combat prowess or experience. If anything Sekai has the skill advantage because there are more sources of her successfully landing blows with her knife.)

Also, let's not lower ourselves to rip on other people for their use of a word or speak/type condescendingly towards others. At the end of the day, doing so will only make you a keyboard warrior (regardless if you can back your macho-ness in real life). The person with Mizore's image as his/her avatar admitted that she/he lacked the knowledge about physics but how else can this be explained? I'm a physiological science major and I know this scenario is not physiology. Physics is what it is. The human skin is very easy to penetrate. People can stab their own bellies with their own arms. Imagine the same knife but plunged in with the full weight of a person.
frozentime4Oct 21, 2014 6:44 PM
Oct 26, 2014 3:37 AM

Feb 2013
Apparently YoungVagabond and Jotaro think it it unrealistic for a girl to stab a guy let alone one who didn't have the balls to ask a girl he liked out. If you rewatch the swimming pool episode, you see he is very thin and has no muscle.

He had a split second to react. After the initial stab Makoto, you see that he falls down, presumably from the pain, and tries to crawl away. What this shows is that
HIS MIND IS ON FLIGHT MODE
, one of the 2 paths when a human is faced with a threat (fight or flight,I hope i don't have to explain this) That means he makes no attempt of fighting back.
Sekai then sits on him and proceeds stabbing.
Oct 26, 2014 5:21 AM

Jul 2008
fronzetime4 said:

Your fantasies and imagination are no more relevant to reality than Spazter's.

Like I mentioned on the last page, I have had someone try to stab me with a kitchen knife where the strength difference wasn't as great as it was between Makoto and Sekai. Didn't even connect once.

Even in instances where a stab is successful, many times the victim manages to escape and survive. Hell, there was a recent story about a terrorist swinging a freaking axe in NYC and connecting with the head of a cop. An axe to the head from a fully-grown male adult is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a stab with a kitchen knife from a tiny Japanese schoolgirl, but guess what? The cop survived.

In 99% of cases when someone is stabbed to death, one of the following is true;

1. The victim was asleep.
2. The killer was much stronger and more skilled than the victim.
3. The killer was very good at using a blade.

None of which apply here. So it's really fucking unlikely. Don't believe me? Ask a freaking cop.

Or, more likely, continue jerking yourself off over your fantasy scenario in this topic.

eturntiy said:
If you rewatch the swimming pool episode, you see he is very thin and has no muscle.

Yeah, because Sekai is just brimming with power and speed in her massive frame and well-trained muscles, right? In case you didn't know, a skinny, weak guy is vastly stronger than a girl of the same size, nevermind a smaller one.
Oct 26, 2014 5:40 AM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
[spoiler]
fronzetime4 said:

Your fantasies and imagination are no more relevant to reality than Spazter's.

Like I mentioned on the last page, I have had someone try to stab me with a kitchen knife where the strength difference wasn't as great as it was between Makoto and Sekai. Didn't even connect once.

Even in instances where a stab is successful, many times the victim manages to escape and survive. Hell, there was a recent story about a terrorist swinging a freaking axe in NYC and connecting with the head of a cop. An axe to the head from a fully-grown male adult is a hell of a lot more dangerous than a stab with a kitchen knife from a tiny Japanese schoolgirl, but guess what? The cop survived.

In 99% of cases when someone is stabbed to death, one of the following is true;

1. The victim was asleep.
2. The killer was much stronger and more skilled than the victim.
3. The killer was very good at using a blade.

None of which apply here. So it's really fucking unlikely. Don't believe me? Ask a freaking cop.

Or, more likely, continue jerking yourself off over your fantasy scenario in this topic.

eturntiy said:
If you rewatch the swimming pool episode, you see he is very thin and has no muscle.

Yeah, because Sekai is just brimming with power and speed in her massive frame and well-trained muscles, right? In case you didn't know, a skinny, weak guy is vastly stronger than a girl of the same size, nevermind a smaller one.
[/spoiler] The only scenario is the one being debated in the scene. People sometimes survive stabbings, people also die from stabbings, everyone here is past that point except you and that's not what's being debated. It's not about a policeman, your stabbing, or any other girl trying to stab a guy, it's about Sekai stabbing Makoto and how that scene played out. It's already been agreed upon that Sekai could have killed Makoto. The only thing being debated now is whether it's realistic or not, and given the circumstances and numerous things that were in Sekai's favor, whether you ignore them or not, it is.
ShrabsterOct 26, 2014 5:45 AM

Oct 26, 2014 8:12 PM

Feb 2013
Sekai had the adrenaline advantage., She had a few moments to psyche herself up, plan her attack, and prepare her muscles and mind. Sekai also works part time as a waitress so she has stamina from serving and balancing plates of food, and is used to working hard in general. Surprise advantage. She has very good cooking skills so she is very familiar with the feel of a knife, meaning she can hold one securely.

Makoto, doesn't work out (even a generous 2 hours of sex won't strengthen one as much as working as a waiter) and was in a suit (do you know how maneuverable a suit is?)

And to clarify, I define realistic as 3 percent or higher So I think the event of a physically weaker person is able to successfully stab a surprised victim at least 3 out of 100 times. Maybe your idea of unrealistic is something absurd like 25 percent.
Oct 26, 2014 10:04 PM

Jul 2008
eturnity said:
Sekai also works part time as a waitress so she has stamina from serving and balancing plates of food, and is used to working hard in general.

HAHAHAHA. I can't even make up something this funny. Thanks for my first signature! Appreciate it.
Oct 26, 2014 10:22 PM

Oct 2012
YoungVagabond said:
eturnity said:
Sekai also works part time as a waitress so she has stamina from serving and balancing plates of food, and is used to working hard in general.

HAHAHAHA. I can't even make up something this funny. Thanks for my first signature! Appreciate it.
It's a shame cherry picking doesn't help your lack of an argument at all, nor undo all of the fallacy laden, back pedaling nonsense you've been so desperately trying to spin.

Oct 26, 2014 11:54 PM

Jul 2008
Shrabster said:
YoungVagabond said:

It's a shame cherry picking doesn't help your lack of an argument at all, nor undo all of the fallacy laden, back pedaling nonsense you've been so desperately trying to spin.

I have long since stopped engaging in any "argument"; at this point, I'm just laughing at the stupidity and arrogance on display.

For a while, it was just your posts, which were dumb and painfully repetitive, but growing increasingly dull. (Notice how I ignored them after a while?) Thankfully, eturnity resurrected the topic with one of the funniest posts I have ever read on MAL.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Is School Days a misunderstood masterpiece?

SkyEatsOcean - Jan 30, 2015

49 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 5:32 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ranivus - Sep 20, 2007

1286 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 5:23 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

OriginalName - Sep 12, 2007

207 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 4:11 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

cyruz - Sep 5, 2007

204 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 3:35 PM

Poll: » School Days Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

DeleteMe3409 - Aug 29, 2007

177 by Archean-Return »»
Apr 25, 2:37 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.