Aldnoah.Zero Season One
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 3, 2014 6:50 AM
Jul 2012
Keten said:

...snip...
If you think Stoic Geniuses have never been done before, I direct you to the movie "After-Earth" by one named "M. Night Shamamallama-sama-kun". You know, that movie that came out and everyone hated? Mostly because the protagonist was boring? He had a reason for being that way too. Didn't stop him from being boring.
...snip...

Using a M Night movie as a well done example pretty much says it all about the intelligence level of this criticism. This isn't Roger Ebert level, its Rolling Stone circa 1970s panning Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, just because.

The repeated assertions that Inaho is a character to allow his fans to project their delusions of grandeur, and the sheer emotionality of the desire for "relatable flaws" instead of using cleverness to win battles, its rather clear that the vocal Inaho haters aren't watching this show, they're fantasizing they're the hero. Why else would they be focused on having an emotional attachment to a fictional person? Do Patrick Bateman of American Psycho or Health Ledger's The Joker suddenly become crap because while they may be excellent performances, they're not "appealing"?

For all the claims of Inaho's predictabity, who called that Vlad would be done in by a steam explosion - the writing clearly sets up "realistic plasma sword"?* For all the claims of Inaho's unoriginality of using intelligent tactics to beat a superior force, how about providing some examples, a la Nishizumi Miho, to us unenlightened rabble? Heck, for all the claims of Inaho's emotionlessness, are the haters autistic or just willfully blind?

Basically, there's a huge difference between, say a critical comparison to Kirito of SAO and Tatsuya of Mahouka, and wankers.

*As has been pointed out, heat is ignored except when needed, as is the UV and visible light output of what is basically 10,000 arc welders.
Aug 3, 2014 9:33 AM

Jul 2013
CallMeIshmael said:
Keten said:

...snip...
If you think Stoic Geniuses have never been done before, I direct you to the movie "After-Earth" by one named "M. Night Shamamallama-sama-kun". You know, that movie that came out and everyone hated? Mostly because the protagonist was boring? He had a reason for being that way too. Didn't stop him from being boring.
...snip...

Using a M Night movie as a well done example pretty much says it all about the intelligence level of this criticism. This isn't Roger Ebert level, its Rolling Stone circa 1970s panning Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, just because.

The repeated assertions that Inaho is a character to allow his fans to project their delusions of grandeur, and the sheer emotionality of the desire for "relatable flaws" instead of using cleverness to win battles, its rather clear that the vocal Inaho haters aren't watching this show, they're fantasizing they're the hero. Why else would they be focused on having an emotional attachment to a fictional person? Do Patrick Bateman of American Psycho or Health Ledger's The Joker suddenly become crap because while they may be excellent performances, they're not "appealing"?

For all the claims of Inaho's predictabity, who called that Vlad would be done in by a steam explosion - the writing clearly sets up "realistic plasma sword"?* For all the claims of Inaho's unoriginality of using intelligent tactics to beat a superior force, how about providing some examples, a la Nishizumi Miho, to us unenlightened rabble? Heck, for all the claims of Inaho's emotionlessness, are the haters autistic or just willfully blind?

Basically, there's a huge difference between, say a critical comparison to Kirito of SAO and Tatsuya of Mahouka, and wankers.

*As has been pointed out, heat is ignored except when needed, as is the UV and visible light output of what is basically 10,000 arc welders.

I think the only thing that made any remote sense in this post is that you placed periods at the end of your sentences.
DPXJubeAug 3, 2014 3:13 PM
Aug 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2013
1.Inaho is bad ass.
2. It's an anime....not the real world.
Aug 4, 2014 8:29 AM

May 2012
Vooo said:
1.Inaho is bad ass.
2. It's an anime....not the real world.

1. This is myanimelist.net, no, lelouch with his 400 IQ is the only badass around here because he is born special and the only acceptable genius.
2. Anime is the read world here
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Aug 4, 2014 8:49 AM

Jan 2014
We are so far familiar with a stoic Inaho who has rarely show any emotion. What if some plot in the future delivers a heavy emotional shock to him, such as the death of Yuki-nee, and he cries out. It will have 100x impact compared to regular shounen main char. Just my imagination but it's good, isn't it? :p
Just_ChickenAug 4, 2014 8:52 AM
Aug 4, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2014
laldonkaments said:
chickenonthepan said:
We are so far familiar with a stoic Inaho who has rarely show any emotion. What if some plot in the future delivers a heavy emotional shock to him, such as the death of Yuki-nee, and he cries out. It will have 100x impact compared to regular shounen main char. Just my imagination but it's good, isn't it? :p

His reaction will be: "Oh, right, guess I am sad now." *pokerface*

People like you are so boring. *facepalm*
Aug 4, 2014 9:11 AM

Sep 2011
Raziel1991 said:
I personally like Inaho. He might not have much of a personality but I perfer a character like that than another shitty and cringe worthy overemotional shounen protagonist that is constantly doing retarded crap and shouting. But it seems Im here the only one who thinks that way.

Not really. THis is why I thought he was one of the better protagonists in recent years. Take Shu from Guilty Crown for an infamous example: a lot of what he did was cry "PEOPLE WILL DIE!!!" While delay the plans. Weak main character make series hard to watch for me, which is why I have strayed away from harem-ecchis for a while now. Even without a background, Inaho is making the series much easier to watch(though making him teh command does weaken a lot of the other characters, that is a flaw).

Also, there are only about three or four people around this forum that actively complain about the details, Kaioshin-sama being the most prominent. They're just very loud on the forum. (Though not foreshadowing about his motives and past does weaken develops for him later on also)

Well, the complaints enumerated in the OP just shows what the people are doing is "hating." It's a popular thing for Anime Forum "Veterans" to do; to bash the popular anime of the time because they aren't up to standard with the Legend of Galatic Heroes or other "elitist" shows. They are focusing on very specific details then blowing them up as a fatal flaw. Take SAO for example(I am NOT saying that it is good show or even 8/10).

Honestly, can you blame the soldiers panicking when their allies are getting mowed down like a bunch of tallgrass? American soldiers may not need to be afraid of that since they are pretty much the Martians most of time, but the technical superiority is something real to fear.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Aug 4, 2014 11:20 AM

Jun 2009
swn32 said:
I disagree. I find calm and strategic characters to be the most interesting lot. Note that Inaho isn't emotionless, he just doesn't express it. His lack of expressiveness just makes it more interesting to figure out what he is actually thinking/feeling. .

That is an assumption you are making, everything so far indicate he is cynical. Emotional characters aren't necessary bad, they can be quite good if you use the element of mystic surrounding the character. Inner monologue of an emotional characters is also a good way of making them interesting, like Dexter as an example. You can also just give them a reason why they feel nothing and what is driving them instead, when we know it isn't emotion. None of these 3 things have been used for Inoha, so he is quite the boring character, together with not being a character we can relate to, that is not wise to have as a main protagonist. There might be some tragic story of why he is like he is, but they haven't hinted it in the show what that should be, so they aren't even using the element of mystic.

strategist26 said:
Moving on: can someone clear this doubt for me :)

IF the martian kataprat blocks all signals how is it getting video streaming? also since its a martian suit ( u know mars being a desert i.e. storms and bad weather making it impossible to see) why the f does it not have infra red technology or something in it. seriously smoke is making an advanced suit blind?! WTF tho it was a shocker Im just gonna let it slide. But still just curious.

Through either the feet or the opening in arms where everything isn't absorbed, that is at least an explanation, which is possible for what we know about that robot, but it is Sci-Fi so you never know ;)

@laldonkaments
Picturing that made me smile ;)
mrdkrekaAug 4, 2014 11:49 AM
Aug 4, 2014 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
Just because he is calm in high pressure situations doesn't justify that this guy seems like an emotionless rock. Characters like Shikamaru (Naruto) and Emiya Kiritsugu (Fate/Zero) are usually considered calm strategists, but still have characteristics, emotion, or backstory to them that prevent them from coming off as rocks.

So far Inaho has no backstory and no hints of one showing up in the future. A character that is currently one dimensional and only distinguishable by his strategic prowess, is just boring. He is a flat character as of now (episode 5), which is basically the half way point, and if you dont think it's boring to watch a flat main character then you must be dazzled by the good visuals or other aspects of the story.
Aug 4, 2014 12:53 PM

Mar 2011
koudez said:

He is a flat character as of now (episode 5), which is basically the half way point, and if you dont think it's boring to watch a flat main character then you must be dazzled by the good visuals or other aspects of the story.

Half way point? You are wrong this series has 24 episodes. Its split cour. There is still plenty of time for Inahos backstory.
Aug 4, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2011
Raziel1991 said:
koudez said:

He is a flat character as of now (episode 5), which is basically the half way point, and if you dont think it's boring to watch a flat main character then you must be dazzled by the good visuals or other aspects of the story.

Half way point? You are wrong this series has 24 episodes. Its split cour. There is still plenty of time for Inahos backstory.

Regardless, no foreshadowing it in the least by this point is a bad move. Didn't even think he was the MC until ep 3
Aug 4, 2014 1:32 PM

Mar 2011
GodlyKyon said:
Raziel1991 said:

Regardless, no foreshadowing it in the least by this point is a bad move.

I do agree with that. It was certainly a mistake of the writer not forshadow anything.
Aug 4, 2014 1:45 PM
Feb 2013
Even though there are historical examples similar to Inaho and to Martians (a party so "superior" they completely underestimate the other party as you say), flat characters are still flat for me. While I can acknowledge kind of person Inaho is and definitely understand the fallibility of more popular mc's, in the end of the day I still prefer the exciting, less realistic mc's (most of the time - definitely no point judging 5 episodes in!)

To make my point a little clearer, for me, certain aspects of anime is like watching Bourne Ultimatum/James bond vs The Most Wanted Man (Hollywood spy movies). Certainly, The Most Wanted Man is grounded much more in reality, and there are consequently aspects of the mc you can appreciate, even praise as being better than those of Bourne or James Bond, but I watch movies/anime for entertainment. Because it's a matter of taste, I enjoy Bourne Ultimatum over the Most Wanted Man, and similarly, I prefer (dumber) more popular MC's over flatter, strategic MC's like Inaho. I think it takes a little more effort to enjoy watching Inaho, and anime isn't a place where I usually want to have to put effort to enjoy it.

I respect the people who enjoy Inaho, but I usually watch anime for entertainment. Relatively speaking, Inaho isn't very enjoyable for me.
Aug 4, 2014 1:53 PM

Jun 2013
Raziel1991 said:
koudez said:

oops sorry ur right, i was looking at myanimelists 12 episodes :/

anyways atleast as of right now i think that inaho is a pretty plain and uninteresting character.
Aug 5, 2014 6:23 AM
Aug 2008
for me its fine if the anime wont tell the story of Inaho but keep "showing" whats wrong with inaho.

from episode 1 to 5, the anime show whats wrong with inaho:
- zero emotion (friend die is okay, facing enemy without fear, etc)
- his common sense is broken (did not evacuate, her sister need to tell him to think based on condition, etc)

but can the anime show (not tell) why inaho is this broken? If this anime can show it, than it is good. If they cant then its okay too. Inho become more misterious and depends on viewer imagination. If they tell it... then Aldnoah Zero become similar with the majority of Anime where they have more to tell than to show.
Aug 5, 2014 7:52 AM

Dec 2013
Yeah, when looking back at my previous posts I've been a right twat, some of what I've written was a bit shite tbh. There are some qualities he does have that people say, like his cool exterior, which is fine. Nevertheless, he's still as cold as a brick, I don't mind stoic characters but surely there must be something wrong with him. His personality is just tooooo boring.

What made me laugh at the bad writing was when he asked for his pyjama's, oddly out of the blue. I didn't get it, was that honestly an attempt at a joke??

Nevertheless, with some character development he could be an alright main character, I do feel that he needs to come up against better opposition, but I'm hoping things do change.

I never go out purposefully to hate animé. Nor do I drop anime I hate, you never know when the series can get actually good.
Aug 5, 2014 8:21 AM

Sep 2013
jdbe said:
Yeah, when looking back at my previous posts I've been a right twat, some of what I've written was a bit shite tbh. There are some qualities he does have that people say, like his cool exterior, which is fine. Nevertheless, he's still as cold as a brick, I don't mind stoic characters but surely there must be something wrong with him. His personality is just tooooo boring.

What made me laugh at the bad writing was when he asked for his pyjama's, oddly out of the blue. I didn't get it, was that honestly an attempt at a joke??

Nevertheless, with some character development he could be an alright main character, I do feel that he needs to come up against better opposition, but I'm hoping things do change.

I never go out purposefully to hate animé. Nor do I drop anime I hate, you never know when the series can get actually good.

Honestly, I don't really remember anything he says... He always talks in the same monotone voice no matter the situation so none of his lines really stick out.

I also don't really get why people think he is mysterious... They don't treat him as a mysterious person in the show. Not 1 person so far has said, "He acts a little weird doesn't he?". This makes me think that he is indeed the way he is "Just cause" and the show tries to make you accept it. I could be wrong of course, but really? NO ONE QUESTIONS WHY HE ACTS THAT WAY? Even in Ping Pong with Tsukimoto being the stoic guy, where he actually had personality, symbolism, development and good characterization, they STILL had people asking why he acts the way he does. Inaho has none of that and he is treated as a normal everyday person. It's just really awkward.
Aug 5, 2014 8:48 AM

Jan 2014
Keten said:
jdbe said:

Honestly, I don't really remember anything he says... He always talks in the same monotone voice no matter the situation so none of his lines really stick out.

I also don't really get why people think he is mysterious... They don't treat him as a mysterious person in the show. Not 1 person so far has said, "He acts a little weird doesn't he?". This makes me think that he is indeed the way he is "Just cause" and the show tries to make you accept it. I could be wrong of course, but really? NO ONE QUESTIONS WHY HE ACTS THAT WAY? Even in Ping Pong with Tsukimoto being the stoic guy, where he actually had personality, symbolism, development and good characterization, they STILL had people asking why he acts the way he does. Inaho has none of that and he is treated as a normal everyday person. It's just really awkward.

I'm still waiting for the Princess to pull that out. When she gets to know him better, she will notice something weird about him. His friends and sisters are just too close to him to ask that question don't you think? Lt. Marito and the doctors also know him before the show. Others just have little to no interaction with him. So best chance is that the Princess will give us something, hopefully his background story.
In my opinion, the people who can make him develop are Princess and Slaine. Or he need some extra shocks like the death of his sister.
I like his cold and calm attitude. But he seriously need more characterization and development. (give us another Kiritsugu plz, before it's too late XD)
If he stay like that, blame the bad writing then.
Aug 5, 2014 8:52 AM

Sep 2013
chickenonthepan said:

I'm still waiting for the Princess to pull that out. When she gets to know him better, she will notice something weird about him. His friends and sisters are just too close to him to ask that question don't you think? Lt. Marito and the doctors also know him before the show. Others just have little to no interaction with him. So best chance is that the Princess will give us something, hopefully his background story.
In my opinion, the people who can make him develop are Princess and Slaine. Or he need some extra shock like the death of his sister.
I like his cold and calm attitude. But he seriously need more characterization and development.
If he stay like that, blame the bad writing then.

Oh ya, I fully agree that this isn't a problem per say with the character, more a problem with the writing. It does negatively effect him though unfortunately. Maybe if they focused more on character interaction it would shed some light on it. (Or at least give us some inner thoughts of the characters...)
Aug 5, 2014 8:53 AM

Mar 2011
Keten said:
jdbe said:

Its true that nobody outright stated how strange his emotionless behaviour is, however if Im not mistaken in the last episode the Terran captain (what was her name?) did say that Inaho was not normal for a student.
Aug 5, 2014 8:56 AM

Sep 2013
Raziel1991 said:

Its true that nobody outright stated how strange his emotionless behaviour is, however if Im not mistaken in the last episode the Terran captain (what was her name?) did say that Inaho was not normal for a student.

I don't think she was talking about his character, just that he was really intelligent and tactical for a student. Idunno though, could be wrong there too. Maybe once we get an interaction between them it will shed some light on that too.
Aug 5, 2014 8:57 AM

Jan 2014
Raziel1991 said:

Yeah, you are right. Hopefully we will get something in the next episode. I hope they won't let that pass and treat him like a normal kid as always. XD
Aug 5, 2014 9:04 AM

Dec 2013
chickenonthepan said:
Raziel1991 said:

Yeah, you are right. Hopefully we will get something in the next episode. I hope they won't let that pass and treat him like a normal kid as always. XD

Depends to be honest, the military did sort of let him run riot when it come to defeating the second grunt martian, hopefully we'll see something more interesting though, more slaine please
Aug 5, 2014 9:30 AM

Jan 2014
jdbe said:
chickenonthepan said:

Depends to be honest, the military did sort of let him run riot when it come to defeating the second grunt martian, hopefully we'll see something more interesting though, more slaine please

Don't think so. We have 2 main char on Earth side: Inaho and Princess. On Mar side is just Slaine alone. And Inaho and Princess don't get much developments as Slaine. So I think of more balance in char development. That will make the show more interesting (than focusing on Slaine alone).
Just_ChickenAug 5, 2014 9:35 AM
Aug 6, 2014 1:54 PM

Jun 2013
Reading through the comments (didn't think it would still be active) I see the main complaint is that Inaho has the personality of a rock. Which I have no argument for, it is true. Even if he shows some experssions, not enough is to define him outside his tactical prowess. I guess the only thing I can say is "wait and see". While I know this has been nagged alot, when has Urobuchi ever had a badass that doesn't have an emotional luggage often related to a tragic past? Kiritsugu, Homura, Kogami and Zwei all fits the bill.
Missing the times of Rewrite, good times.
Aug 6, 2014 4:36 PM

May 2012
I mean if you look at previous works by this author most of his main characters come off as one dimensional at first. The reason for that is because they never had a need to really express too much emotion before until a chain of events occur that changes how they feel and think. Inaho will develop more you just need to realize that the show has barley started and there is still a lot to go before you see the " real" Inaho
Aug 7, 2014 12:54 AM
Apr 2013
Just to pipe in a little:

Personalities like Inaho's do exist very much so. I myself used to be and still am to an extent somewhat like that. It's sometimes a matter of what you've experienced/done in life so far. It's less of the fact that people with this personality lack emotions but rather we're just a little emotionally detached. At supposed "sad-times" in my life so far I've often asked myself "Am I supposed to feel sad right now, cause I don't...", then put on a "persona" to please others. Inaho could be viewed in a similar sense but without putting on a persona to "appear" to have emotions. You could say that his emotional-release "trigger-level" is set higher than others.
e.g. Say if someone dies; the way I see it is that no amount of grieving and crying will bring them back. Why mourn a person who's clearly not coming back, you could instead celebrate their life. That would be more meaningful in my eyes.

Additionally I understand how people become frustrated with a lack of exploration of Inaho's background but I for one prefer speculating and filling in the blanks myself. In English literature, one of the core principles is that any work should not be solely based on the author's intended interpretation but also on readers' interpretations thus expanding the meanings of the text. Now while some may merely call this "unwritten fan-fiction", I think its a matter of whether you view the character as a human or narrative construction. A human being separate from yourself will be an entity you will never fully understand. You can learn things, speculate things and understand bits and pieces but never comprehend the other's entire existence.

Also I think people ask "why" too much =w= Just as a personal opinion, I tend to "accept realities" more than questioning things. Asking "why" is good but only at opportune times. For me it doesn't matter right now "how" or "why" Inaho can formulate genius plans. He just IS that way.
An easier way to explain this is probably how I hate it when people use "what/maybe if you did" after something has already happened.
Aug 7, 2014 2:56 AM

Jul 2014
WhaleKing said:

Personalities like Inaho's do exist very much so. I myself used to be and still am to an extent somewhat like that. It's sometimes a matter of what you've experienced/done in life so far. It's less of the fact that people with this personality lack emotions but rather we're just a little emotionally detached.

You know, in abnormal psychology, there's a term for this sort of personality disorder: Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD). People with this disorder tend towards secretiveness, emotional coldness, and apathy.

You can read more about it here: http://www.pchtreatment.com/schizoid-personality-disorder-clinic/

#hurrahuniversityeducation
KazukiTachibanaAug 7, 2014 5:57 AM
Aug 7, 2014 3:27 AM
Apr 2013
KazukiTachibana said:

You know, in abnormal psychology, there's a term for this sort of personality disorder: Schizoid Personality Disorder (SPD). People with this disorder tend towards secretiveness, emotional coldness, and apathy.

You can read more about it here: http://www.pchtreatment.com/schizoid-personality-disorder-clinic/

#hurrahuniverstyeducation

Interesting read. But I'd say this is touching on the extreme end of what I'd make Inaho out to be.

EDIT: Also, is that a certain Hidari Shoutarou I see? :3
Aug 24, 2014 5:20 PM

Aug 2014
WhaleKing said:

Personalities like Inaho's do exist very much so. I myself used to be and still am to an extent somewhat like that.

Yes people like that exists and I feel it isn't nice to say there is something wrong with that. And maybe it is cultural thing. Where I'm from people are more reserved.

In this case I don't think Inaho is traumatized: he is clearly reacting and has feelings, but it just that the reaction doesn't reach to surface.

I too am a bit too analytical compared others, though I can read other peoples emotional reactions very well.

But to describe how it feels like: It is like standing on thick ice and you can see river flowing under the ice, but inside there just isn't anything particular going on your head: you just feel empty and very clear about everything. That is why even situations, when you are under great deal of stress it leaves you perfectly calm and you can be very much rational and in control of your self. Sometimes you can even deduce your own feelings by judging your own physical reactions like heart rate.

But then again Inahos case is still a bit extreme, because he doesn't move his facial muscles almost at all.

I posted on different topic (the romance thread) - I'll just copy paste:

About him being cold or unresponsive:

"Okay, let's consider a bit Inaho's personality. He is the emotionally detached genius type. World for him is endless sequence of mathematical formulation and rational logical causality, truly a world without the hint of grey between white and black. He is using and will probably always use his intellect and analytical mind to prioritize: calmly looking at situation at hand and after consider pros and cons of each scenario, taking action in the way he founds most beneficial and logical.

It would not be in his character go starry eyed over a girl and definitely he isn't the type to fall easily in love. And this makes him probably also the type that is the very last person to realize he is in matter of factually in love and his emotion are affecting his decisions without him being aware of it.

But is he cold? Rewind a bit back to the the first episode and take a another look at the breakfast scene. He asks Yuki, would she have preferred scrambled or rolled eggs... I think everybody remembers the scene. When they were looking at the Asseylums parade, what was Inaho reacting while he was looking at his mobile? Eggs were on sale. After the attack it would not have been against his character to go shopping. :D And when Yuki called him, he was cooking at the kitchen... Egg rolls.

He is this kind of a sweet guy: not the typical guy who is going to confess his undying love blushing holding roses for his loved one. He is a great listener, loyal and very considerate of other people in his own way, but is unlikely to speak or show emotion physically. It doesn't mean he isn't having them. Remember Okisuki... Inaho looked like he was barely reacting, but looking at how he regarded Slaine (couple of episodes back he made clear what is his definition of an enemy): he is deeply affected by his friends death.

I think the last episodes conversation with Asseylum, confirmed that. He is most likely the type that feels that emotions aren't crucial in decision making and when asked about some decision of his, he will list every logical and unemotional thing he can count. I think that his perfectly analytical and rational decision at the time with Slaine is going to haunt him afterwards. "

And then about him being expressionless, so is there something wrong with him?

"Well, this type of emotional detachment is more or less common with highly gifted and intelligent people(like artists(music,painting etc.) and scientists)... and one reason for this might be that some are autistic. Inaho might be a very, and I mean very, slight case of AS bordelining normal:

"Asperger syndrome (AS), also known as Asperger disorder (AD) or simply Asperger's, is an autism spectrum disorder (ASD) that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction and nonverbal communication." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome)

I actually know someone, who has AS, and I can tell that they will always get straight to the point. Sometimes it feels like being in a car crash or trying to get across mine field.

People who have this kind of disorder, don't understand concepts like common courtesy. It is just totally alien to them. They are not visiting from Mars, more likely they flew here from somewhere outside our galaxy. :D

But they don't bad mouth behind your back and are also as quick to defend anyone they consider a trusted friend. It is really refreshing and I like that, but it is kind of difficult to get used to it. Our society expects a little white lies here and there and it is a bumpy road at first. :)"

Just to comment more about AS... If it is slight case, he is perfectly able to deal with other people and social situations. But he is very concentrated about things he is interested: it is like him having extreme tunnel vision. And some situations it leaves him looking totally blanck.... I call it tabula rasa expression. When something exceeds their ability to receive information, they just block everything too complicated out.

Remember Marito joking about them being virginal... :P Inaho just doesn't get it. :DDDD He hears only the concrete reference to combat experience.
nirunaruAug 24, 2014 5:35 PM
Aug 24, 2014 6:57 PM
Jan 2014
Emotionally detachment in the second sense, it is a type of mental assertiveness that allows people to maintain their boundaries and psychic integrity when faced with the emotional demands of another person or group of persons yeahh......sounds like inaho but i personally think because of childhood trauma of losing his parents he seemed offended by when that captain called him kaizuka junior he immediately corrected her.
bagface36Aug 24, 2014 7:00 PM
Aug 25, 2014 3:41 PM

Aug 2014
bagface36 said:
Emotionally detachment in the second sense, it is a type of mental assertiveness that allows people to maintain their boundaries and psychic integrity when faced with the emotional demands of another person or group of persons yeahh......sounds like inaho but i personally think because of childhood trauma of losing his parents he seemed offended by when that captain called him kaizuka junior he immediately corrected her.

Had to have a bit time to sort out impressions... Yes some kind of minor mental trauma is possible, but I think the way Inaho acts is just really natural for him. I don't think it is something that could or even should be "cured". This is simply who Inaho is.

But what made me suspect something like AS, was that while he is really observant and intelligent, he is a bit inflexible and cut-off from normal logic. In addition Inaho seems to react and understand things quite literally ignoring totally messages embedded in context. Edit: I actually forgot the lack of facial expressions from this list, make that the foremost reason for suspecting AS. :D

Even in stressful situations he just reports his observations in neutral tone to others. Like in first episode, when he saw the missile coming, all he said was: "Let's get away from here right now. A missile is coming."

Then after that he just normally went home and was calmly waiting for Yuki to arrive. :D She had actually tell him to evacuate by him self and all he was saying: "Oh right, I could have done that"... -_-''' That truly sounds very intelligent indeed. :D
nirunaruAug 25, 2014 7:19 PM
Aug 25, 2014 3:52 PM

Sep 2011
Fucking shit! There isn't even SUBTLE hint of emotion in where a normally romantic scene in episode 8 where the princess talked to him!
Aug 25, 2014 3:53 PM

Aug 2014
GodlyKyon said:
Fucking shit! There isn't even SUBTLE hint of emotion in where a normally romantic scene in episode 8 where the princess talked to him!

Well quite clearly we can say that Inaho isn't romantic. :D
Aug 25, 2014 4:15 PM

Sep 2011
nirunaru said:
GodlyKyon said:

Well quite clearly we can say that Inaho isn't romantic. :D

Sigh... That kind of ruined his character for me, but in a way, that's refreshing I suppose.
Aug 25, 2014 4:36 PM

Aug 2014
GodlyKyon said:
Sigh... That kind of ruined his character for me, but in a way, that's refreshing I suppose.

Well, nobody is perfect. I think it is common trait for highly intelligent people to be quite erhm... awkward or totally lacking in that department. :P

But I think Inaho has capacity for being really sweet. He is observant and in his own slowpoke kind of way endearing. The difficult thing is to get him notice the girls. As girls I mean. :D
Aug 25, 2014 4:44 PM

Jan 2014
nirunaru said:
GodlyKyon said:

Well, nobody is perfect. I think it is common trait for highly intelligent people to be quite erhm... awkward or totally lacking in that department. :P

But I think Inaho has capacity for being really sweet. He is observant and in his own slowpoke kind of way endearing. The difficult thing is to get him notice the girls. As girls I mean. :D

Agree. Inaho cares a lot about his sister. And look how he cares for her. Pretty sweet.
Aug 25, 2014 6:12 PM
Jan 2014
here is something I posted about inaho on youtube

i think i figured out what is exactly wrong with inaho. As it shows in the first episode. Inaho grew up with no parents and in this episode. The captain mentions of kaizuka junior he immediately responded its inaho. He seems to suffer emotional detachment in the second degree and emotional abandonment because his sister may have loved him but she put many expectations on a emotionally depressed 15 year old. . I think this where the ue's fault is. They exploited these kids like inaho and they put fear the into them and then they have them become soldiers

Heres the definition of emotional detachment in the second degree

Emotionally detachment in the second sense, it is a type of mental assertiveness that allows people to maintain their boundaries and psychic integrity when faced with the emotional demands of another person or group of persons and this why seems so detached from other people because he cares about them to much and heres the the definition of emotional abandonedment

Emotional Abandonment, on the other hand, occurs when caretakers don't provide the emotional support and environment needed for a child to grow and thrive. This is often described as being raised in an environment in which a child has to hide part of him or herself to be accepted; to not be rejected. This means that the child learns:

Making mistakes is NOT okay.It's NOT okay to show their feelings.Being told that their feelings aren't true.Not everyone is allowed needs.Everyone else's needs are more important.Accomplishments and successes are discounted.

Other types of abandonment happen when children:

Can't live up to parental expectations; which are both unrealistic and age inappropriate.Are held responsible for the behavior of others.

His sister may just as responsible for his personality as much as he is but its really the ue's fault for exploiting kids like inaho and it really shows how fucked up the world really is and this exactly why he's a realistic character and how horribly a goverment can exploit kids like inaho. Unlike slaine and asseylum Inaho had no hopes and no dreams nothing but constant fear and fear of abandonment. He had no future to look forward to but instead constant fear of war and loss of what he has left
everything we see here makes sense from the start of the series hes able to detach himself out of fear for others

When children are raised with chronic loss, without the psychological or physical protection they need and certainly deserve, it is most natural for them to internalize incredible fear. Not receiving the necessary psychological or physical protection equals abandonment. And, living with repeated abandonment experiences creates toxic shame. Shame arises from the painful message implied in abandonment: "You are not important. You are not of value."and the lyrics from the second ending implicate this.
I’m jumping to conclusions, bathing in my vanity,
My breaths heavy with cheap pride,
But when I look into the sad little mirror covered in shame,
That I keep hidden in my wardrobe…

It only illuminates the convenient scars,
Showing me countless victories won with effortless strength.
No matter much I polish it, it wears me down:
An enlightenment where my feet can’t touch the ground.

I say crier! I say liar! I say rising heaven!
I love this limitless world with its endless recordability.
WAR… I hate WAR… I hate WAR…
And I think it’s good to ask the meaning of it all.

I’d just like to ask, “What is…”
“What is life?” ‘Cause it seems like it’s doing nothing…
“Life”, wouldn’t you like to come out an be happy again?
“What is life?” ‘Cause it seems like it’s doing nothing…
Can you see the nature of it with your own eyes?
In other words since hes 15 years old hes a victim of being a child soldier

bagface36Aug 25, 2014 6:24 PM
Aug 25, 2014 7:22 PM
Jul 2011
GodlyKyon said:

It might be because in that scene she's talking about Slaine and reminding Slaine and his lessons. Inaho in that scene is like Cruhteo in the Slaine's scene, a witness of the bond they forged with each other: Cruhteo as an antagonist while Inaho as her ally. The scene is to juxtapose Asseylum's happiness and Slaine's agony born from the same relationship.

Eddelrittuo and Saazbaum play the other important witnesses who are trying to "interfere" with the suffering/giddiness somehow. It's being to contrast Asseylum's and Slaine's different positions while they were thinking about each others.

Inaho is capable of emotions. He smiles at his sister, he has smiled at Inko and Rayet. Maybe he's just not into Asseylum. Have you considered this?
HopeLightAug 25, 2014 7:32 PM
Aug 25, 2014 8:21 PM

Jan 2014
HopeLight said:
GodlyKyon said:

It might be because in that scene she's talking about Slaine and reminding Slaine and his lessons. Inaho in that scene is like Cruhteo in the Slaine's scene, a witness of the bond they forged with each other: Cruhteo as an antagonist while Inaho as her ally. The scene is to juxtapose Asseylum's happiness and Slaine's agony born from the same relationship.

Eddelrittuo and Saazbaum play the other important witnesses who are trying to "interfere" with the suffering/giddiness somehow. It's being to contrast Asseylum's and Slaine's different positions while they were thinking about each others.

Inaho is capable of emotions. He smiles at his sister, he has smiled at Inko and Rayet. Maybe he's just not into Asseylum. Have you considered this?

I think he is into her more than you think.

Examples:
- Ep 3 after defeating Trilliam
- Ep 4 before fighting Vlad
- Ep 7 before jumping off the ship
- EP 8, there is a little hint when they looking at the bird. But people too focus on SLiane and miss that.

If it's not romance, he is curious about Hime. I think he doesn't fully understand Asseylum yet. That' the reason why he doesn't open with her for the time being. We will see what happen.
Aug 25, 2014 10:14 PM
Jul 2011
chickenonthepan said:
HopeLight said:

I think he is into her more than you think.

Examples:
- Ep 3 after defeating Trilliam
- Ep 4 before fighting Vlad
- Ep 7 before jumping off the ship
- EP 8, there is a little hint when they looking at the bird. But people too focus on SLiane and miss that.

If it's not romance, he is curious about Hime. I think he doesn't fully understand Asseylum yet. That' the reason why he doesn't open with her for the time being. We will see what happen.

After defeating Mushroom Knight, he was surprised to see a Martian Princess.

He went to battle Vlad so she wouldn't expose herself and so would endanger everyone. Every on topic of his claim she was never singled out.

Before she jumped of the ship, he was looking at the civilians and caught her. It's probably the same reason as above. Asseylum feels gratitude and expressed it this episode.

He has the same facial expression (blank look) in the scene you mean. I think it's showing he doesn't care she's talking about how another guy made her fall for Earth.

I'm not sure if "interest" is the right answer: all he wants to tell her about is the war and those kind of heavy plot, but a good friendship-comradeship on arms to a common goal is forged.
Aug 25, 2014 10:52 PM

Jan 2014
HopeLight said:

After defeating Mushroom Knight, he was surprised to see a Martian Princess.

He went to battle Vlad so she wouldn't expose herself and so would endanger everyone. Every on topic of his claim she was never singled out.

Before she jumped of the ship, he was looking at the civilians and caught her. It's probably the same reason as above. Asseylum feels gratitude and expressed it this episode.

He has the same facial expression (blank look) in the scene you mean. I think it's showing he doesn't care she's talking about how another guy made her fall for Earth.

I'm not sure if "interest" is the right answer: all he wants to tell her about is the war and those kind of heavy plot, but a good friendship-comradeship on arms to a common goal is forged.

He always looks at her very long in those scene before taking action.
And his friends point out that his action is more reckless than usual.
So I'm pretty sure Asseylum has some influence on him. He just doesn't know it yet.
Guess we will agree to disagree and see.
Aug 26, 2014 5:51 AM

Aug 2014
bagface36 said:
i think i figured out what is exactly wrong with inaho. As it shows in the first episode. Inaho grew up with no parents and in this episode. 

I think that there isn't any definite proof about Inaho growing totally without parents.

It seems that Yuki and Inaho weren't adopted or put in orphanage; Yuki is only 21, so it is likely that their parents died just couple of years before the show starts. Max time I think is about five years and that is stretching it, because Yuki would have been sixteen or seventeen then.

bagface36 said:
Emotionally detachment in the second sense, it is a type of mental assertiveness that allows people to maintain their boundaries and psychic integrity when faced with the emotional demands of another person or group of persons and this why seems so detached from other people because he cares about them to much and heres the the definition of emotional abandonedment

Hmm... I don't get the vibe that Inaho would be unable to deal with his emotions or that he is bottling up. It is just that he is missing facial expressions and gestures that cues his emotional responses.

But nice pitch. :)
Aug 26, 2014 5:59 PM
Aug 2014
I think his character's the type that mainly appeals to particular groups of people in real life.

Pretty sure an over-bubbly bundle of extroversion would absolutely hate watching an anime with Inaho as a MC.

Also people who are extremely anti-utilitarian.

People who dislike Inaho, probably can't understand/relate/make assumptions about his character. In short their personalities/moral values irl are in conflict with Inaho's persona.

That's why I think people dislike the MC.

Personally, I just don't want Inaho to be perfect. I want to see him lose and see how he deals with his tactics failing. Although It'd be really interesting to see if people can change him to open up a bit more. But even if that didn't occur his character works fine. I predict that he'd probably be one of the characters that ends up doing something that *saves the world* while not being recognized for it at all due to his character. That'd be pretty good.
Aug 26, 2014 6:39 PM

Jul 2014
Valantic said:
I think his character's the type that mainly appeals to particular groups of people in real life.

Pretty sure an over-bubbly bundle of extroversion would absolutely hate watching an anime with Inaho as a MC.

Also people who are extremely anti-utilitarian.

People who dislike Inaho, probably can't understand/relate/make assumptions about his character. In short their personalities/moral values irl are in conflict with Inaho's persona.

That's why I think people dislike the MC.

Personally, I just don't want Inaho to be perfect. I want to see him lose and see how he deals with his tactics failing. Although It'd be really interesting to see if people can change him to open up a bit more. But even if that didn't occur his character works fine. I predict that he'd probably be one of the characters that ends up doing something that *saves the world* while not being recognized for it at all due to his character. That'd be pretty good.

I would like Yuki's dead happen, so maybe he reacts.
Aug 27, 2014 6:35 AM

Aug 2014
Maryruss said:
I would like Yuki's dead happen, so maybe he reacts.

I really hope that doesn't happen for Inaho's sake. But it probably is inevitable part of the show.

I really don't know how he would cope with her death. One possibility is that he is going to totally shut down and freeze. There was something like that, when Okisuke died. For couple of moments, Inaho just blankly stared ahead: like in utter disbelief what had happened.
Aug 27, 2014 7:36 AM

Aug 2008
chickenonthepan said:
I hope they will reveal a good background story about Inaho. Then I can laugh at the people who is criticizing him.
If not, I'm not satisfied but still enjoy the anime.

We enjoy the anime but not satisfied with his too bland personality and undeveloped character as an MC. Is that a problem?
Unless he had a really traumatic childhood that will convince us to understand and have sympathy with him(like 00's Setsuna and Heero Yuy of Gundam Wing), we have the freedom as a viewer to continue point out his flaws just like the rest of the characters in the show. End of the story.
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Aug 27, 2014 8:12 AM

Aug 2014
Hmm... I am a bit wondering, why should there be any need to explain the reason Inaho be like he is.

As I see it, it is very much likely that there isn't any crushing trauma or unhappy childhood. On the countrary, I think Inaho grew up quite well. I'm basing this conclusion that he is communicating with people naturally despite he is a bit odd and he has great friends. He knows how to cook. :D

I mean there isn't any reasons why some characters are loud and obnoxious either? He is the weird genius type. Isn't that the backround enough to understand his character?

Edit: I understand that not everybody likes him. Irl people eiher get along with this kind of personality, or they totally don't.
Aug 27, 2014 8:35 AM

Jul 2014
FalloutShounen3 said:
chickenonthepan said:
I hope they will reveal a good background story about Inaho. Then I can laugh at the people who is criticizing him.
If not, I'm not satisfied but still enjoy the anime.

We enjoy the anime but not satisfied with his too bland personality and undeveloped character as an MC. Is that a problem?
Unless he had a really traumatic childhood that will convince us to understand and have sympathy with him(like 00's Setsuna and Heero Yuy of Gundam Wing), we have the freedom as a viewer to continue point out his flaws just like the rest of the characters in the show. End of the story.

It's not just to sympathy to MC, but a personality like that, in my opinion, is not "normal", so I am very curious and I would like a explicacion or at least get from him some reaction outside from his "little world".
Aug 27, 2014 8:46 AM

Aug 2014
:) Maybe I'm the only one who thinks that odd genius being, well, a bit odd, is quite self explaining. ;)

I hope that there is an explanation, but don't be disappointed if there isn't one. :)
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

2123 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 9:01 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

319 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 1:22 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2014

474 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:50 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 30, 2014

837 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 24, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Aldnoah.Zero Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2014

715 by Softhenic03 »»
Apr 23, 2:10 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.