Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 15, 2014 9:28 PM

May 2014
DoctaLinker said:
I don't think Nana would be suitable for you. You have almost the same opinion about animes that I do.

Too bad that you already watched everything I could recommend. Isn't it time for you to move into mangas?

The only problem with Nana that I have is the character design, they just look weird and that one goth female lead is creepy. I couldn't get past the first episode because I didn't like the animation and characters. But I heard the plot is pretty good. I'm really not into music anime but I've watched white album 2 and even though the music got kind of annoying at times it wasn't too bad.

Um.....well i've tried reading manga before but I don't really seem to like it that much. I can tell it takes some getting used to but its not the same as watching an anime. Anime tend to win me over with animation, music/soundtrack, likable characters and of course plot. And manga doesn't have any animation or music, well i guess you could say the drawings are the animation for manga but it isn't the same. But i think I'll probably give manga a go sometime in the future, always hearing from people how the mangas are so much better than the anime.
Sep 15, 2014 9:33 PM

May 2014
DoctaLinker said:
Also: You didn't watch School Days yet, have you?

Believe. Watch it. It's gonna change your life. Seriously.

Oh my bad, I actually already watched it and forgot to put it on my list. I don't know why people hate it so much. I mean I seriously wanted to punch the mc in the face but that doesn't make the anime bad. He was meant to be hated by the viewers. I mean an anime that can actually shock or entertain me is good in my eyes. I often base my ratings on how much I enjoyed the anime.
Sep 15, 2014 9:34 PM

Jun 2010
You really like creating threads, huh?

So, is your list up-to-date?
'cause I see Makoto Shinkai on your favorites but the only think you've watched from him is Kotonoha no Niwa. Which, to be honest, is far from being his best project.
Please fix that.
Namely:
Hoshi no Koe
Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place
She and Her Cat
5 Centimeters per Second
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo
Sep 15, 2014 9:37 PM

Jul 2014
Eureka Seven, it's not bad for Romance. It does have Mecha and the MC takes getting used to though. He isn't bad, but he is 14 and acts like it, so you watch him go through adolescence and phases.

And it is actually in the Romance genre rather than Romance being to the side. Takes a bit to get to it cuz 50 Episodes though.
xDarkraiSep 15, 2014 9:56 PM
Sep 15, 2014 9:47 PM

May 2014
xbobx said:
You really like creating threads, huh?

So, is your list up-to-date?
'cause I see Makoto Shinkai on your favorites but the only think you've watched from him is Kotonoha no Niwa. Which, to be honest, is far from being his best project.
Please fix that.
Namely:
Hoshi no Koe
Beyond the Clouds, The Promised Place
She and Her Cat
5 Centimeters per Second
Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo

Lol, here we go again. You really like answering my threads, huh? For the record i made this thread a 2 months ago. And yes, i do like making threads.

Hoshi no koe: always planned to watch this, never got to it.
Beyond the clouds: on my PTW
She and her cat: really, I don't know about this one.
5cms: finished first episode of movie but then put on hold for later
Hoshi wo: looks good, probably give it a try.

And kotonoha no niwa was pretty good. The plot wasn't amazing or anything but the animation was awesome.
Sep 15, 2014 10:15 PM

Jun 2010
I'd strongly enforce you watch those then, since you enjoyed Kotonoha to the point of fav'ing the guy.
Alpha101 said:
5cms: finished first episode of movie but then put on hold for later

I know it's separated on 3 "episodes", but damn, don't do this. It kills the mood AND most likely the enjoyment.
It's the kind of movie that you're supposed to sit through it all the way from start to end, so you can actually relate to the MC and his struggle against the slow/fast moving time paradox.
Sep 15, 2014 10:21 PM

Dec 2013
Personally, I think the most "serious/mature/dramatic" romances were these, even though many have comedy and melodrama:

Nana
HnC (both)
Berserk
Mind Game
Planetes
Hana Yori Dango
Winter Sonata (no comedy, lots of drama, very seinenesque)
Jin Roh (a must see imo)
Sakamichi no Apollon
5cm
T&B (has a romance element, but another must see)
Spice and Wolf (both)
Koi Kaze
Tatami Galaxy
WA2 (angsty, ok triangle comparatively)
DouluoSep 15, 2014 10:46 PM
Sep 15, 2014 11:33 PM

Feb 2014
Gymkata said:
Personally, I think the most "serious/mature/dramatic" romances were these, even though many have comedy and melodrama:

Nana
HnC (both)
Berserk
Mind Game
Planetes
Hana Yori Dango
Jin Roh (a must see imo)
Sakamichi no Apollon
5cm
T&B (has a romance element, but another must see)
Spice and Wolf (both)
Koi Kaze
Tatami Galaxy
WA2 (angsty, ok triangle comparatively)

+1 for Koi Kaze.

Not a masterpiece as Kimi no Iru Machi, but it's also good.
DoctaLinker
Sep 15, 2014 11:51 PM

Jan 2008
Also: You didn't watch School Days yet, have you?

Believe. Watch it. It's gonna change your life. Seriously.

Stop ruining lives of people trying to look for romances.

If you really like Makoto's work you seriously should just watch Byosoku and Hoshi no Koe.
I just rewatched Hoshi no koe last weekend and it's just as amazing as the first time I saw it - not to mention it was only made by 1 guy (and his wife as the voice of the female character).

I admit that this is entirely not fair but I just could not sit through the voices - they literaly hurt me ears.

I guess you should try Sukitte ii na yo.
Sep 16, 2014 12:55 AM

Feb 2014
Werchiel said:

If you really like Makoto's work you seriously should just watch Byosoku and Hoshi no Koe.
I just rewatched Hoshi no koe last weekend and it's just as amazing as the first time I saw it - not to mention it was only made by 1 guy (and his wife as the voice of the female character).

Where can I find it?

Edit: Oh, nevermind. I thought you were talking about something similar to School Days.
DoctaLinker
Sep 19, 2014 6:22 PM

May 2014
Bump
Sep 19, 2014 7:27 PM

Feb 2009
kami nomi is the correct answer - yet you dropped it :/

how did you not like it?? well everyone has different tastes .

Katanagatari has a strong relationship build up, its actually most of the show, plus some badassery mixed in.

if i were you, i would watch
http://myanimelist.net/anime/23289/Gekkan_Shoujo_Nozaki-kun

its labeled a "romance" but its been almost all comedy, and its cracked me up good. its on par with the funniest shows i've ever seen (imo)
Sep 19, 2014 8:33 PM

May 2014
Marthgun said:
kami nomi is the correct answer - yet you dropped it :/

how did you not like it?? well everyone has different tastes .

Katanagatari has a strong relationship build up, its actually most of the show, plus some badassery mixed in.

if i were you, i would watch
http://myanimelist.net/anime/23289/Gekkan_Shoujo_Nozaki-kun

its labeled a "romance" but its been almost all comedy, and its cracked me up good. its on par with the funniest shows i've ever seen (imo)

Kami nomi had its good parts but kind of got redundant. I tend to not like episodic anime. I just feel an anime that builds up your emotion and opinion over a single good plot is much more effective and interesting to watch. They really suck you into the anime and make you care about what is taking place and the characters. Also, it had too much comedy in it for, the mc wasn't very serious. My tastes are more towards serious/ dramatic anime that follow realistic approaches.

Ya I've heard katanagatari has a great plot. The only reason I haven't watched it yet is the animation and character design. As I mentioned before I'm into anime that show realistic depictions of romance/drama. I'm sure katanagatari probably has that to some extent but I'm not really into the art style. But I'm sure I'll get over and try it out sometime in the future.
Sep 19, 2014 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
Its been a LONG time since I've seen/read it, but it might be up your alley: One-Pound Gospel

Or maybe even: Ah! My Goddess

Both have both a main male and female character, but Ah! My Goddess may be a bit more female-oriented.

One-Pound Gospel is by Rumiko Takahashi. I pretty much like anything she puts out :D
Sep 21, 2014 8:49 PM

May 2014
Vitne-Eveille said:
Its been a LONG time since I've seen/read it, but it might be up your alley: One-Pound Gospel

Or maybe even: Ah! My Goddess

Both have both a main male and female character, but Ah! My Goddess may be a bit more female-oriented.

One-Pound Gospel is by Rumiko Takahashi. I pretty much like anything she puts out :D

Oh, ok. I'm a little skeptical about. Its not labeled as harem but from what I've seen it kind has the characteristics of one. Also, I'm kind of looking for more serious/drama romance anime.
Sep 21, 2014 9:02 PM

Jul 2014
Sakamichi no apollon
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12531/Sakamichi_no_Apollon

From up in poppy hill (movie from studio ghibli)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10029/Kokurikozaka_kara

Not common shoujo romance
Sep 21, 2014 9:09 PM

May 2014
dontworrybehappy said:
Sakamichi no apollon
http://myanimelist.net/anime/12531/Sakamichi_no_Apollon

From up in poppy hill (movie from studio ghibli)
http://myanimelist.net/anime/10029/Kokurikozaka_kara

Not common shoujo romance

Thanks. Already seen sakamichi. From up in poppy hill looks ok, I'll give it a try.
Nov 19, 2014 4:11 PM
Jul 2014
We have same tastes , only I hate old animation , sci-fi , mecha animes , I kinda understand why you hate harem , maybe because the MC doesn't settle with 1 female ? I watched 2 Harem animes that has an MC finish with a female : Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers , Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

I request : My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
True Tears
Elfen Lied
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.
Golden Time
Baby Steps
Nov 20, 2014 12:50 PM

May 2014
Ze_kiel said:
We have same tastes , only I hate old animation , sci-fi , mecha animes , I kinda understand why you hate harem , maybe because the MC doesn't settle with 1 female ? I watched 2 Harem animes that has an MC finish with a female : Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers , Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi

I request : My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU
True Tears
Elfen Lied
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai.
Golden Time
Baby Steps

Thanks but I've seen all of these except baby steps, which I proabably won't watch since I tend not to like sports anime.
Nov 20, 2014 1:37 PM

Aug 2014
Nov 20, 2014 2:11 PM

Jun 2014
Alpha101 said:

Thanks but I've seen all of these except baby steps, which I proabably won't watch since I tend not to like sports anime.

Give baby steps a chance.
And Clannad is the best romance anime of all time for me. Okazaki Tomoya FTW!!!
All credit goes to Sacred.
Nov 20, 2014 3:55 PM

Nov 2014
Don't know if it has already been recommended, but Maison Ikkoku is as good as a romantic comedy can get. Animation might be a bit outdated, but it's definitely worth the watch!

Others I can think about:
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Special A
-Itazura Na Kiss
-Ano Natsu de Matteru
-Bakuman(Although romance is not the main theme of the series)
-Golden Time
-Love Hina
-Maoyuu Maou Yuusha
Metal is my passion, Iron Maiden is my religion!
Nov 21, 2014 7:28 PM

May 2014
iron2590 said:
Don't know if it has already been recommended, but Maison Ikkoku is as good as a romantic comedy can get. Animation might be a bit outdated, but it's definitely worth the watch!

Others I can think about:
-Kimagure Orange Road
-Special A
-Itazura Na Kiss
-Ano Natsu de Matteru
-Bakuman(Although romance is not the main theme of the series)
-Golden Time
-Love Hina
-Maoyuu Maou Yuusha

-Special A: female mc, can't really relate.
-itazura na kiss: female mc, can't relate
-bakuman: I like the romance aspect but kinda stopped watching/put it on hold because the whole manganka thing put me off.
-Love Hina: Mc is a losser/pervert, its kinda too generic, and has too much comedy. The animation isn't that great either.
-Maoyuu Maou Yuusha: i am actually almost done watching this. It was made to appeal to people begging for a third spice and wolf season (which include me). Altuough this was pretty good, It is nowhere near as good as spice and wolf. Thats just my opinion.

Just for future reference: I am asking for romance anime directed at "guys." So that kinda means I'd like male mcs. However I am also asking for good serious/dramatic anime with little comedy. Thanks guys.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» A girl who wears stylish glasses

Nagi_Karman - 1 hour ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
44 minutes ago

» Anime with a villain who can change appearance and impersonate the protagonists?

Gfralp - Yesterday

3 by Khashishi »»
3 hours ago

» Anime with Dinosaurs?

SpeedyAlchemist - Yesterday

5 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
4 hours ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - May 1

9 by Tsuyatoash »»
4 hours ago

» Recommend me Action+Adventure Anime based on my List

Chisuku - 7 hours ago

4 by Zarutaku »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.