Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Flowers of Evil
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 28, 2014 5:16 AM

Jan 2013
Yes. I know. What's wrong with me. But it's true. I prefer the retroscope of the anime over the manga art work. I enjoyed Flowers of Evil for its creepy and ambiguous atmosphere that just makes me guessing and creeped out of what's coming, but I can't get that feeling with the manga.

My first problem with the manga is the character designs. In the manga they look like children with their round faces and large eyes, but in the anime they look like real teens or young adults and I prefer it that way. Children talking about rape and sexual desires doesn't sit too well to me.

Second, the expressions of the characters and especially Nakamura. In the manga Nakamura looked more like a sly prankster with the way her eyes and mouth is drawn. In the anime since it was retroscoped it used more realistic expressions and that made Nakamura not only much more harder to read but also more creepier and that's not what I'm getting from the manga. Not to mention the exaggerated reactions the characters make.

I know the manga fans would love to have the manga designs for the anime, but this isn't a cute story that requires cute drawings. I prefer it the creepy way to enjoy it better.
REJECT ANIMU - EMBRACE TOKU
Aug 12, 2014 12:30 PM
Sep 2012
I actually feel the same way. After finishing the anime I tried reading the manga but I simply couldn't get that feeling of darkness and anxiety from it. Well, after getting a bit further in the manga than where the anime left off, I decided to wait for the (somewhat unlikely) continuation of the anime version. It's one of the few anime that made me feel such strong emotions, and I'm really glad I didn't drop it at the beginning.
Sep 2, 2014 4:06 PM
Sep 2014
I agree, the restroscope definitely fits this anime perfectly. But overall I think it only works for a very specific type of anime, I would not like this widely used.
Sep 14, 2014 11:06 PM

Oct 2012
same. it's not supposed to be pretty. it's an ugly story. i think its great.
Sep 17, 2014 2:47 AM
Jun 2013
I agree with ya, but I am neutral about their decision of rotoscope, I think its great to bring out the realism of the anime, it contributed to its unqiueness that allow Aku no Hana to be very appealing comparing to mainstream animation
Sep 17, 2014 3:28 AM

Jun 2013
Well they could've used more realistic art rather than rotoscope that's rather terrifying than entertaining.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2014 3:30 AM

Jan 2013
Aku no Hana is not realistic. The manga was never realistic.
Sep 17, 2014 3:31 AM

Jun 2013
SolviteSekai said:
But it better emphasizes the realism. They could've took some notes from other anime that had a more human look like GiTS.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2014 3:32 AM

Jan 2013
Schwarzitgiest said:
SolviteSekai said:
But it better emphasizes the realism. They could've took some notes from other anime that had a more human look like GiTS.

It isn't realistic.

There is no realism in aku no hana. Thats why the art from the anime made no sense.
Sep 17, 2014 3:51 AM

Jun 2013
SolviteSekai said:
Schwarzitgiest said:

It isn't realistic.

There is no realism in aku no hana. Thats why the art from the anime made no sense.
But it'd work for the dark story much better than the odd rotoscoping.
Sep 17, 2014 7:09 PM
Jun 2013
SolviteSekai said:

I think it is realistic enough for me, at least comparing to most anime these days, Aku no Hana gives an approach to realism in terms of behavior and response of the characters
Sep 17, 2014 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

What? :v

I guess we read/watch different manga/anime then.
Sep 17, 2014 7:47 PM

Jun 2014
Nakamura is ugly in anime so i prefer the manga
Sep 23, 2014 3:06 AM

Oct 2012
SolviteSekai said:

sure seems realistic if youve had experiences/emotions like that

but ok
Sep 27, 2014 5:05 AM
Feb 2014
The art in anime really fit it more than manga. (But I dont really that super-slow pace).
Since Nakamura is a psycho (IMO) so I dont think it's easy to confirm if this is realistic or not.

SHINOBI-03 said:

My first problem with the manga is the character designs. In the manga they look like children with their round faces and large eyes, but in the anime they look like real teens or young adults and I prefer it that way. Children talking about rape and sexual desires doesn't sit too well to me.

Second, the expressions of the characters and especially Nakamura. In the manga Nakamura looked more like a sly prankster with the way her eyes and mouth is drawn. In the anime since it was retroscoped it used more realistic expressions and that made Nakamura not only much more harder to read but also more creepier and that's not what I'm getting from the manga. Not to mention the exaggerated reactions the characters make.

Agree
Mar 16, 2015 3:10 PM
Jul 2014
SolviteWoTaberu said:

Which part is not realistic?!?!?
jakovMar 26, 2015 6:40 AM
May 10, 2015 7:50 PM

Oct 2011
blessofcurse said:
Nakamura is ugly in anime so i prefer the manga

I feel that's wrong for Nakamura to be pretty. She is supposed to be weird, so to me the anime version is better because it fits her personallity
May 26, 2015 6:18 PM

Mar 2014
SolviteWoTaberu said:

The plot of this show is actually quite simple and certainly plausible. Kid steals gym clothes, feels shame, social isolation, confusion, etc. Seems like puberty to me. Few shows capture the lives of school students with this level of honesty and nuance, and it's refreshing to see. Aku no hana is very real, and brutally so.

I agree entirely with the OP btw. I think the rotoscope style only enhances the story in a way a more dogmatic approach wouldn't have been able to achieve. It's not pretty, but then life isn't always pretty is it.
Dec 7, 2021 5:38 AM

Jun 2020
Oh I agree! I didn't find the animation to be ugly at all.. I fell in love with it as soon as I saw characters swaying and walking to school ..it was appealing to me, more enjoyable considering the themes of this anime.. like the OP said.

..also.. maybe it's just me, but the direction in the anime felt a bit superior to the manga.. :(
Dec 12, 2021 7:55 AM

Jul 2017
I posted about this a while back on my Instagram page where I used to do uploads on analysis and reviews and stuff, but yeah, I prefer the rotoscoping approach here over the manga's art just because it fit the themes of the series and its eerie, ugly nature much more in my opinion. It's a little inconsistent at times but some of the scenes had my jaw drop with how it was animated and some of the best scenes I've seen in anime too, genuinely. With how great the visuals fit the series, it really makes me wish that more people at the time would have been able to appreciate the unique and fitting approach rather than calling it ugly just for normal standards or comparing it to the manga art. This feels more unique and special. Shame the negative reception and lack of sales caused the death of future sequels with this series. I'll defend this for many years to come lol.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 18, 2013

253 by princesjelyfish »»
Apr 24, 3:19 AM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 29, 2013

324 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:44 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 22, 2013

86 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 15, 2013

131 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:40 PM

Poll: » Aku no Hana Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2013

135 by bushman66 »»
Apr 13, 3:39 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.