Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Kagerou Daze (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 8, 2014 6:54 AM
May 2013
i just finished Mekaku City Actors, and i don't get what happened, visually its typical shaft but the story was more confusing than a normal Shaft anime. I kept getting lost so when the final episode came round I just didn't get any of it.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN
Jul 8, 2014 7:00 AM
May 2013
But how are they all alive and the end and whats with episode 4 where the kid is in a loop and then decides to kill himself. I just don't get the show
I give up.
Jul 9, 2014 6:08 PM

Jun 2009
Topic Cleaned
Not a single one of these posts were serious. Post seriously, this is your only warning.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Jul 11, 2014 1:39 PM

May 2013
Damn, to think that nobody provided an answer.. XD

Well as for episode 4, you need to know that the time loop event that the kids get in happens in the Daze. The monster (Azami) has a human husband, so he is destined to die at a relatively 'young' age. Same goes for her daughter Shion, who really isn't immortal. So Azami creates this world called the Daze or Heat-Haze where there is no flow of time, and plans to take her family to the Daze so that they may live forever and ever. In episode 4, when Hibiya wakes up, notice that his clock has no hands. This means that there is no measured time and strongly implies that he wakes up in the Daze.

Now Azami's daughter and granddaughter (Shion and Mary) died in August 15th many many years ago. And because of that, Azami commanded the Daze to swallow them up. Since the evil Snake made the Daze a living hell, Azami had no choice but to save her family from the suffering. So she gives Mary the Queen Snake AKA Combining Eyes Snake so that Mary can continue to live.

Since Azami gave up her Queen Snake to Mary, she lost control of the Daze and the command that she gave to it-- bringing in those who died August 15-- cannot be changed.

In episode 5, we see Hiyori, Hibiya, Konoha, and Shintaro get involved in a street accident. And when they die, they get sucked into the Daze. In order for one to escape the Daze, one has to obtain a snake from Azami. The snake basically keeps the person alive (that is why Mary is alive because she has the Queen Snake). Since Konoha already has the Awakening Eyes, and Shintaro has the Retaining Eyes, they can escape.

But Hibiya and Hiyori don't have a snake, so they can't escape.

But why can't both obtain snakes and get back? Well, there is only one snake left to give. Here's the list of snakes that inhabited their hosts prior to episode 4.

Note: The eye ability Staring Eyes is only inherited by the medusa bloodline and is an inherent ability. I believe that it is NOT a snake that grants medusas this power.
1) Combining Eyes Snake - Mary
2) Concealing Eyes Snake - Kido
3) Eye Stealing Snake - Seto
4) Deceiving Eyes Snake - Kano
5) Captivating Eyes Snake - Momo
6) Opening Eyes Snake - Ene
7) Retaining Eyes Snake - Shintaro
8) Eye Focusing Snake - ???
9) Awakening Eyes Snake - Konoha
10) Clearing Eyes Snake (the evil Snake) - Kenjirou
11) Favouring Eyes Snake - Ayano

Since there is only one snake left out of the 11, then only one person can leave the Daze. That is why one kid can leave, but not the other. So in order for one of them to get back, the other has to basically 'die' in order to decide who escapes the Daze with the Eye Focusing Snake. Thing is, the kids don't know this, and when one of them dies, the other does the test again and again and again in an attempt to save the other. In the end, Hibiya is saved due to Hiyori's sacrifice.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
reverserealityJul 11, 2014 1:42 PM
Jul 11, 2014 1:56 PM

May 2013
Back to your question as to how everyone lived. Well, the Snake (Clearing Eyes Snake) originally wanted Mary to reset the timeline so that he may continue to exist. The Snake can only exist if he's working to grant a wish, so once he grants a wish, he becomes dormant and loses his intelligence and free will-- his own reason for existing.

So Shintaro and Ayano make Mary remember the various timelines and timeloops, so from that, Marry does not reset the timeline. Instead, she commands the Daze to swallow up the whole world (remember that the Snake says something like "Damn! She swallowed everything!") Kenjirou meets his wife Ayaka in the Daze and his wish of "wanting to see his wife again" is granted.

The evil Snake starts to panic because he'll disappear when he grants a wish. So he desperately begs the Mekakushi Dan to make a wish. Haruka then says that Konoha has a wish, and the evil Snake has no choice but to grant it immediately since he was in Konoh'as body.

Konoha's wish was for the Snake to become a surrogate life for Hiyori so that she can be revived and escape from the Daze. Kenjirou stays in the Daze with Ayaka. Since Mary can control her Medusa powers, thanks to Shintaro and Ayano, she commands the Daze to the send the world back, but the deceased stays dead (ie. Kido's sister, Mr. Kisaragi, etc.)

So that is how everyone lives. There is a snake in each and every Mekakushi Dan member that allows them to live once again despite them dying on August 15th.

So...
Eye Focusing Snake - Hibiya
Eye Clearing Snake - Hiyori
Jul 16, 2014 4:06 AM
AnimeLover

Aug 2011
thx for the explanation bro
Jul 25, 2014 10:18 AM

May 2013
So what's the deal with Ayano? Where was she this whole time?
Jul 25, 2014 2:28 PM

May 2013
Remember that when a person dies on August 15, that person enters the Daze. I am not sure if it's Shaft-style or canon, but it seems that the Daze is perceived differently by those who died-- that's why it looks like a school when Ayano died or a mansion under fire when Kido and her sister died and etc.

So Ayano is in the Daze the whole time since her suicide.
Sep 5, 2015 5:48 AM
Jun 2015
Hey, look! It's the source material floating by! Maybe we should check it out!
May 11, 2019 12:51 PM
Aug 2016
can someone explain what the hell is happening?
wildapeMay 11, 2019 1:38 PM
May 11, 2019 6:42 PM

Jul 2017
> monster has irl husbando and child
> monster realizes husbando and child will eventually grow old and die whereas she won't
> monster creates world with no time flow so they can live forever
> monster realizes her presence only brings pain so she gtfo's by herself
> years later Mary and her mother get killed and sent to Daze
> monster gives Mary a snek that gives her an ability to create a time loop, as well as letting her "live"
> when each of the main charas become not alive they get sent to the Daze, where they end up getting a snek and an ability that comes with it in order to return back to life
> teacher-kun dies in an avalanche with his waifu and ends up getting the bad snek (Clearing Snake)
> bad snek only goes away once the masters wish is fulfilled, since teacher-kun's wish was to see his waifu again bad snake would stay until it was fulfilled

That's a very broken setup to the story. You can honestly just google it and you'd find much better explanations. The story does have multiple routes though and I think the anime went for the best route
May 12, 2019 12:47 AM
Aug 2016
Short_Circut said:
> monster has irl husbando and child
> monster realizes husbando and child will eventually grow old and die whereas she won't
> monster creates world with no time flow so they can live forever
> monster realizes her presence only brings pain so she gtfo's by herself
> years later Mary and her mother get killed and sent to Daze
> monster gives Mary a snek that gives her an ability to create a time loop, as well as letting her "live"
> when each of the main charas become not alive they get sent to the Daze, where they end up getting a snek and an ability that comes with it in order to return back to life
> teacher-kun dies in an avalanche with his waifu and ends up getting the bad snek (Clearing Snake)
> bad snek only goes away once the masters wish is fulfilled, since teacher-kun's wish was to see his waifu again bad snake would stay until it was fulfilled

That's a very broken setup to the story. You can honestly just google it and you'd find much better explanations. The story does have multiple routes though and I think the anime went for the best route

thank you so much, i get the main idea. still confuse about the time line and route since the anime didnt explain it very well.
how did it ended in manga or ln? because it has upcoming sequel i thought the story isn't finished yet
i kinda curious when looking at the wiki there's something like anime timeline, xx timeline, manga timeline etc
May 13, 2019 12:21 AM

May 2009
Last three posts merged from a duplicate thread in AD.
Jan 6, 2020 11:08 PM

Aug 2014
wildape said:

thank you so much, i get the main idea. still confuse about the time line and route since the anime didnt explain it very well.
how did it ended in manga or ln? because it has upcoming sequel i thought the story isn't finished yet
i kinda curious when looking at the wiki there's something like anime timeline, xx timeline, manga timeline etc

cuz each and every one of the cast has already relived atleast 2 timelines before/after they were reset.. for the evil snake to live on with the wish resetting

what we would call ''bad route'' or good route'
were 2 different timelines 1 where it ended badly everyone dies and it resets as usual
good route is where it all finally stopped what the anime did at the end

bad ending or another ending already happened on the 2nd or maybe 3rd reset
[i forgot lol]

however the anime didn't have enough time to put all that together,
so they rushed and just cramped it into the final reset with the good and last ending
and remember shintaro's eye power lets him keep his memories through every reset

[Shintaro's eye ability, given to him by Marry after promising long ago to "never forget this tragedy", allows him to remember everything he sees, including the events of past routes.]-copied from wiki-

on episode 8 when shintaro saw the portrait of ayano with kido/kano/seto/teacher/and his wife.
and the song plays?

well that was the moment his eyes awakened and all the memories from every timeline came flooding..including his memories from even when he was a fetus
that's when this song does its part.
also the black and white scenes u saw was taken from the manga to ''flash''' him remembering the other timelines.. i guess they thought animating it would be a bother so taking it from the manga sufficed i guess lol
scenes from the Original Song PV's were also added
i guess it was a nice touch of collecting source material into 1 song but people probably still left confused lol that was like 5+episodes worth worth of scenes in 1 2minute song

but the anime never explained, so no one knew he had The Retaining Eyes ability
i cant remember but i think the anime did mention how many eyes they r and what each eye can do. so the audience could only have guessed by eliminating the ones they saw and didn't see yet and realize shintaro had the Retaining eyes on episode 8

so when the ending came outta nowhere ofc it would leave people with no knowledge of the VA Songs or novel/manga confused

but hey like i said it was rushed. the time shintaro was missing right until he shows up at the end and beats the evil snake? well he went to fetch ayano
reversereality said:
Back to your question as to how everyone lived. Well, the Snake (Clearing Eyes Snake) originally wanted Mary to reset the timeline so that he may continue to exist. The Snake can only exist if he's working to grant a wish, so once he grants a wish, he becomes dormant and loses his intelligence and free will-- his own reason for existing.

So Shintaro and Ayano make Mary remember the various timelines and timeloops, so from that, Marry does not reset the timeline. Instead, she commands the Daze to swallow up the whole world (remember that the Snake says something like "Damn! She swallowed everything!") Kenjirou meets his wife Ayaka in the Daze and his wish of "wanting to see his wife again" is granted.

The evil Snake starts to panic because he'll disappear when he grants a wish. So he desperately begs the Mekakushi Dan to make a wish. Haruka then says that Konoha has a wish, and the evil Snake has no choice but to grant it immediately since he was in Konoh'as body.

Konoha's wish was for the Snake to become a surrogate life for Hiyori so that she can be revived and escape from the Daze. Kenjirou stays in the Daze with Ayaka. Since Mary can control her Medusa powers, thanks to Shintaro and Ayano, she commands the Daze to the send the world back, but the deceased stays dead (ie. Kido's sister, Mr. Kisaragi, etc.)

So that is how everyone lives. There is a snake in each and every Mekakushi Dan member that allows them to live once again despite them dying on August 15th.

So...
Eye Focusing Snake - Hibiya
Eye Clearing Snake - Hiyori

anyway on 1 of the timelines [i forgot the order of how it went lol ] konoha who was possessed by the evil snake manages to take control and shoots himself in the head to save his friends , but shintaro didn't want that to happen and jumps inbetween and gets shot instead
as the clock turns back again

as for what each eye power does u can read that here
https://kagerouproject.fandom.com/wiki/Kagerou_Daze/Eye_Abilities

there is alot more stuff the anime didn't show,
so just read the manga/novel
TheDiabolicEsperJan 7, 2020 12:14 AM

More topics from this board

» Mekakucity Reload ???? When ???

Ghefira - Mar 30, 2023

7 by dargoid »»
Jan 21, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 28, 2014

284 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 12:12 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2014

170 by Strikrr »»
Aug 5, 2023 6:15 AM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

361 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 12:28 PM

Poll: » Mekakucity Actors Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

242 by Strikrr »»
Aug 3, 2023 11:10 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.