Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jul 1, 2014 12:29 PM

Feb 2014
Why did they do that?

Out of the 5 million people assembled, about 500 000 died because of pouf or pitou's Nen.

This was an important statistic!
Jul 1, 2014 12:53 PM

Jan 2011
it is not surprising, because Madhouse altered the relationship between Gon & Kite.
Gintama: "The blade is not to cut down your enemies
Nor is it to cut away your own weakness
A sword isnt meant to protect your body
A sword is meant for protecting your soul"
Jul 1, 2014 12:53 PM

Feb 2014
That's irrelevant...
Jul 1, 2014 1:01 PM
May 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
Why did they do that?

Out of the 5 million people assembled, about 500 000 died because of pouf or pitou's Nen.

This was an important statistic!

I direct you to your own comment

TonyTonyStark said:
That's irrelevant...

At least I don't really care tbh

Jul 1, 2014 1:05 PM

May 2012
They did show flowers where those people were, and then mentioned what happened to the "survivors" so it's pretty much implied.
Jul 1, 2014 1:15 PM

May 2014
bleachjoj said:
They did show flowers where those people were, and then mentioned what happened to the "survivors" so it's pretty much implied.

Yeah, that's the impression I got when they showed those flowers laid out. Show, don't tell. Much more effective.
Jul 1, 2014 1:17 PM

Feb 2014
JordyJS said:
bleachjoj said:

Yeah, that's the impression I got when they showed those flowers laid out. Show, don't tell. Much more effective.

Meh. Numbers play an impact. And another misuse of the show dont tell phrase, since telling us would still show more. If they had given a number, along with the flower scene, it would have increased the impact. Now it seems like a few hundreds only.
Jul 1, 2014 1:24 PM

Jul 2012
Hold on, I'm on the phone with Madhouse right now.

I'll get to the bottom of this.
Jul 1, 2014 1:25 PM

Jun 2014
I actually prefer the scene with all the flowers over the numbers in the manga because to me, when the numbers are too great they just become numbers.
Jul 1, 2014 1:28 PM

Feb 2014
wzrd said:
Hold on, I'm on the phone with Madhouse right now.

I'll get to the bottom of this.

HA :P

AppleJinx said:
I actually prefer the scene with all the flowers over the numbers in the manga because to me, when the numbers are too great they just become numbers.

But it shows a lot.
Like in the beginning: Shoot and knuckle: "we have to sacrifice 100000 or millions would die"
You'd think "nah they'll figure out a way to save even those"

But in the end, 500 000 actually died.
Jul 1, 2014 1:31 PM

Dec 2009
bleachjoj said:

This, it wouldn't of changed anything even if they stated 500k people died.
Jul 1, 2014 2:21 PM
May 2014
TonyTonyStark said:

You'd think "nah they'll figure out a way to save even those"

But in the end, 500 000 actually died.

Considering alot of people had already died at that point I did think they would sacrifice that many
Jul 1, 2014 2:42 PM

May 2014
TonyTonyStark said:
Meh. Numbers play an impact. And another misuse of the show dont tell phrase, since telling us would still show more. If they had given a number, along with the flower scene, it would have increased the impact. Now it seems like a few hundreds only.

Heh, telling doesn't "show" anything - it's literally an antonym of the word. Showing the flowers leaves it to our imagination. Moments like that are far more powerful when its left to the viewer to decipher.

Hard facts on the other hand are very primitive and artificial ways to instill such despair. Unless of course you're the type of person who wants all of the details laid out for you. But at that point, we might as well just go to reading the wiki instead of watching the show in the first place.
Jul 1, 2014 2:59 PM

Feb 2014
JordyJS said:
TonyTonyStark said:

Heh, telling doesn't "show" anything - it's literally an antonym of the word. Showing the flowers leaves it to our imagination. Moments like that are far more powerful when its left to the viewer to decipher.

Hard facts on the other hand are very primitive and artificial ways to instill such despair. Unless of course you're the type of person who wants all of the details laid out for you. But at that point, we might as well just go to reading the wiki instead of watching the show in the first place.

Not really. A lot of visual scenes are more telling than showing, as are many "verbal" phrases can show more than any visual would.
This logic that "words = strictly telling" shows

In this case, adding words to the flower scene would, in fact, increase the information involved, by a precise amount, therefore making the picture more detailed.

The last part sounds mostly condescending. Not every detail should people use the "you want it spoon-fed for you" card. A very poor argumentation choice.
But if we're gonna play at that, This logic that "words = strictly telling" shows that people maybe lack the power to imagine said words?
Or maybe we should make all media mute, and try to visualize everything?

The numbers add precision, which was in the manga. Without the knowledge of it, we wouldn't know the numbers by deduction. It would be a guess.
TonyTonyStarkJul 1, 2014 3:07 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Anisamar - Oct 10, 2011

135 by WienGirl »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

47 by Rhaelynne »»
3 hours ago

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 25, 5:43 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Apr 24, 1:55 PM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.