Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 6, 2010 9:27 AM

Jan 2009
I would have to agree with the last post. Altough Asian dramas may come off as cheesy to us a lot of what is in Asian dramas you can relate to. From romance to just plain comedy, Asian dramas gives fans a chance to see different parts of Asia without traveling there. From good-looking men and women to learning about the importance of family and tradition in certain series compared to Hollywood, Asian entertainment really cares about its fans.

If fans like a certain actor more they will be in more shows and movies. Altough there is a massive community of blogs, websites, and radio shows that just focus on Asian dramas alone that is how popular it is getting now.

The one thing I do like about fans of Asian drama is that they are a very serious critc. If the show or movie gets low ratings it is cancelled right away. Actors have to learn a lot of lines in a short of amount of time so I do give respect to them for that. In regards to female fans, I think the reason why there are a lot of female fans is due to the culture. Most of the dramas are targeted towards females.

However, there are dramas like the J-drama Liar Game which can appeal to both male and female audiences. Some series just focus on the male audiences there are action dramas as well. Not all Asian drama is romantic.
Sep 6, 2010 11:57 AM
Sep 2010
Why do people like american dramas? the stories can be cheesy but they do just catch your attention and suck you in. I started watching some before I had cable on channel 18 (Los angeles) which featured chinese dramas, korean dramas and sunday nights subbed Japanese Drama's (i will always like first love and salaryman Kintaro) and I watched some online since. Now with sites like Crunchyroll streaming C, K and J drama's I've been watching way more and less anime.
Sep 7, 2010 1:56 PM
Mar 2009
It's entertainment. The same could be asked for Anime and American T.V. Dramas. Yes, there are cliches and themes that are often used and reused in them, but that also applies to Anime and American T.V. shows. Are they "all the SAME" as you claim? No.

I'm Korean. I like watching Korean and Japanese dramas. I actually prefer them over American T.V. dramas when I live in the USA (minus a few shows l'm a fan of haha). ^^
Sep 8, 2010 6:24 PM

Oct 2008
All Asian Drama are the same? I can agree with Korean Dramas, but Japanese? Do you even know what the fuck you're talking about? Also Japanese dramas are not all about romance. There's a lot of variety. Romance is just the most popular.
Sep 22, 2010 7:56 AM

Aug 2010
I think most other people watch them because they're sick of the usual american soaps or they just feel like watching something that's not from their homecountry. Another reasons might be, that a lot of people think asians are pretty and cute.

Personally I watch asian (japanese) dramas, because I think japanese is a nice language and they are entertaining. Also I like to be different, besides that I don't like whats on normal TV anyways. Those are my reasons.
Jun 19, 2011 1:43 AM
Jun 2011
if ppl can be addicted to jersey shore, then why can't we be addicted to asian dramas
Jun 19, 2011 4:35 PM

Nov 2010
correction, Korean dramas.
Jun 19, 2011 4:51 PM

Apr 2011
I'm Korean and I watch a lot of Korean dramas.

There are several formulas to make a drama.

Cute girl stuck with an abusive boyfriend. Nice guy comes along. Girl starts to like nice guy. Random character dies due to cancer. Nice guy beats up abusive boyfriend. Cute girl + nice guy = ending.

Orphan grew up without knowing how his parents really died. Joins some sort of secret organization and finds out how his parents died. Some random person dies due to cancer. Orphan gets revenge = end
Jun 19, 2011 5:17 PM
Mar 2011
Girls Love the Johnny
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jun 19, 2011 8:43 PM

Apr 2009
The simplest reason I can come up with is that it is entertaining. What can't happen in real life CAN happen in Asian dramas, or rather, what has a low chance of happening in real life, CAN happen in Asian dramas.

It's just like anything else related to entertainment - an escape to reality and a playground for the mind.
GirieneJun 19, 2011 8:53 PM
Jul 11, 2011 8:20 PM
Jul 2011
I watch Asian dramas.
That's like saying Pokémon and Digimon are even remotely similar.
Asian dramas do not fall under the category of today's Japanese cartoons, please do not drag them down to their level.

Coach Necklace
Coach Outlet Online Stores
how much is a coach wallet
Jul 13, 2011 5:33 PM

Jul 2010
Asian dramas don't look the same to me.
Jul 27, 2011 1:20 PM

Jul 2009
I watch drama,because I like to. ^^ But really few dramas are translated to my native language and my english isn't perfect, so I don't watch drama really often.
Jul 27, 2011 3:31 PM

Jun 2008
Even though they are similar to each other, they are NOT exacly the same :]
Aug 22, 2011 5:53 AM
Aug 2011
I Like K-pop drama. It's because the romance is sweet and you don't understand what they're saying which makes it fascinating. You should try it too.
Aug 24, 2011 2:15 PM

Jul 2011
Ive watched one, and i think its cause the protagonist dies in the end? :D
Aug 24, 2011 2:30 PM
Mar 2011
in Jpan we have a new Histoical Based Drama every yesr the TIGA dorama
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 26, 2011 7:53 AM

Oct 2009
Huhwut? but they're not all the same.
Jul 4, 2012 12:40 PM

Mar 2012
Because Asian boys are hot

To be honest, I'm tiring of watching US dramas. I am watching mostly K-Drama because they're funny. There are some songs I enjoy and K-dramas can even make me cry, what US Dramas can't.
Romances in K-Dramas are better than US-Dramas IMO.

"Why are people so addicted to Asian Dramas?" You can say "Why are people so addicted to Anime?"
They're just the same question XD
Do not worry, be happy ~
Jul 10, 2012 2:06 AM

Aug 2009
Because Asian dramas(J-drama & K-drama) have more varieties of drama to offer than our local networks, heck dubbed K-dramas score higher ratings at our country compare d to the rinse and repeat story of our local dramas.

Jul 28, 2012 4:42 PM
Jan 2011
Each episode leaves you hanging and the story line is really good
Aug 12, 2012 7:21 AM

Mar 2011
I'm Asian, and most of my friends are Korean.
HECK! Even my female Korean friends like to make fun of Korean dramas. They like to joke about how Korean drams are always revolved around revenge, complicated relationships, and cancer.
Yet they still watch them ( probably for the "hot" guys).
Aug 12, 2012 7:31 AM

Jul 2010
Cause im Asian.

No but really, i probably like them cause of the Osts and good looking actors/actresses. Every now and then there will be a few good dramas with good stories to them.
Aug 30, 2012 8:55 PM
Jun 2012
hong kong dramas (TVB) are good.
Sep 15, 2012 8:16 AM

Sep 2011
Yeah Korean Drama was really good.xD!
Sep 16, 2012 9:47 PM

Jun 2012
I've only watched a handful of Korean dramas and from what I gathered, yes they are very similar and predictable. Some people may like that aspect though, also some of the girls are mildly attractive to watch.
Sep 23, 2012 3:30 AM

Apr 2012
Majisuka Gakuen and 1L of Tears is a solid sample for denying the first comment in this forum
Sep 28, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2012
Well when you look at this name from a literalistic standpoint... crying a full liter of tears is impossible so the drama must have some originality to it...
Sep 30, 2012 10:46 AM

Aug 2012
I have only just started watching Jdrama and Kdrama so I'm completely new to them but I can see myself getting addicted to them. So far I've seen 1 Litre of Tears (Jdrama), Winter Sonata - Kdrama (lead male actor was gorgeous and the show was fantastic). Almost finished watching You're Beautiful - Kdrama and that was hilarious but also romantic. Love the songs in that one. So yeah....it's getting addictive to the point I've neglected my anime. There's only so much TV I can fit in :)

For me the addiction has to be the storyline and the characters....I can watch anything whether it's US shows, anime or Asian dramas as long as they have excellent storyline and strong characters.
A house is made from bricks and stones but a home is made from love alone!
Oct 13, 2012 7:10 PM

Jan 2010
There really not all the same. Try watching one's that have a anime. My first drama was Honey and Clover. The drama was better then the movie. Same thing with 1 Litre of Tears. Not a anime, but the drama was better then the movie. I haven't watch the Death Note movie's yet so I can't speak for them. Also, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni movie wasn't that good. Grave of the Fireflies was a great movie. Kimi ni Todoke was kind of disappointing. Saikano was really good.

Wow, the person who started this post was last online 01-30-11. Oh well, gonna watch some anime now. LOL
Oct 30, 2012 7:01 AM
May 2009
Oct 31, 2012 9:46 PM

Apr 2007
drinkbeer said:
hong kong dramas (TVB) are good.

They have the same freaking actors in every show and they blow things sooo out of proportion.
Nov 2, 2012 3:11 AM
Oct 2012
have you seen kyunki sans bhi kabhi bahu thi ?? go and watch, the whole image of asian drama will change inside your mind....
Nov 5, 2012 8:11 PM

Sep 2012
the drama is just too good too many twistesssss
"Im feeling it tonight roflcopterskatesbbq"
Nov 17, 2012 1:47 PM
Jul 2018
It is the same feeling as people watching animes or films.. Nothing is the same..
Nov 17, 2012 2:23 PM
Aug 2012
I have never seen a Korean drama before lol
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7586 by juanlqr »»
2 hours ago

» hardcore/skramz/emo/metalcore/post-hardcore/post-metal/blackened/crust

bloodecho - Feb 14

31 by Mattenan »»
8 hours ago

» Anime songs in your playlist

bevarnow - Mar 11

3 by Theo1899 »»
9 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3384 by NiaAlexandria »»
10 hours ago

» What's your favorite song?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

11 by Toooooooooohru »»
Yesterday, 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.