New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
May 27, 2014 3:40 PM
May 2014
Voice actors
Lelouch is Ichigo is Izaya is Sasori
May 27, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2012
Yeah, I hear a lot of similar voices. Many of the same voice actors span across dubbed anime. I don't mind too much, really. I'm kind of happy when I recognise voices, lol. But there are some anime dubs that I really can't listen to...

Also censoring. Someone gets shot and there's no blood? ok
But that doesn't happen often so it's cool.
May 27, 2014 4:03 PM

Dec 2013
keragamming said:
I think the reason why people say that the dubs suck, is that they watch the Japanese version first.

Not true. I watched Steins;Gate subbed first for 4 episodes and hated all their voices. So, I watched it dubbed and the dub feels so much more natural and enjoyable.
May 27, 2014 4:16 PM

Mar 2014
Dubbed is usually bad because their voices don't fit at all to whatever character they're playing. Of course there are exceptions, but I generally dislike dubs because subs are usually far superior in their quality.
May 27, 2014 4:18 PM

Mar 2013
pLaguE_ said:
Dubbed is usually bad because their voices don't fit at all to whatever character they're playing. Of course there are exceptions, but I generally dislike dubs because subs are usually far superior in their quality.
who decides which voices fit the characters?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

May 27, 2014 4:28 PM

Mar 2014
mattbenz99 said:
pLaguE_ said:
who decides which voices fit the characters?

The viewer can decide if the voice fits or not, it's all based on opinions. I'd imagine the studio is responsible for the choosing of the VA.
May 27, 2014 6:48 PM

Apr 2013
mattbenz99 said:
Cupquake said:
mattbenz99 said:
LordofW said:
You know, they could at least TRY to sound different. Funimation seriously needs to get new voice actors because you can tell right off the bat who did what.
the same could be said on the japanese side. i mean look at some of the japanese voice actors.some of them have lists of roles that are 2-3 times bigger than any dub voice actor
That's cause not many anime get dubbed...
the majority of anime worth watching are dubbed
That's completely irrelevant to my point.
May 27, 2014 6:50 PM

May 2013
well yeah usually they try to get the same voice actors to save money and because they sound the best for dat character and the anime dub community always recommends there favorite voice actors for certain series
Be It 10 or 1000 Men, The End Result Will Be The Same..
May 27, 2014 9:07 PM

Jan 2014
mattbenz99 said:
LordofW said:
You know, they could at least TRY to sound different. Funimation seriously needs to get new voice actors because you can tell right off the bat who did what.
the same could be said on the japanese side. i mean look at some of the japanese voice actors.some of them have lists of roles that are 2-3 times bigger than any dub voice actor

I don't really watch subs; on the off chance I do, I turn the volume pretty low since I can't understand it. I don't know much about Japanese VA's because of that.

I'm just really comparing Funimation dubs to cartoons. For instance the same person who did Long Feng (Avatar TLA) does Mr Krabs (Spongebob). Maybe it's my fault for watching Funimation dubs too much but really where else can you go? Viz and Universal don't really do much anime since they have other products.
Puzzle Time, When is my birthday? 22-8-222/
9-666-3
5-66-4-3-3/
9-666-3
666-8-666-3
666-8-666-3
44-8-444-3/
Answer is on profile but see if you can figure it out first! HINT: KEYBOARD

May 27, 2014 9:12 PM

Nov 2013
Sometimes they use the honorifics. *shudders*
May 28, 2014 2:25 AM
May 2009
I hate hearing the Pronounciation of the characters names in some dubs.
DGemu said:

Also this.
May 28, 2014 2:28 AM

Mar 2014
e.e what is wrong about honorifics? the only thing different is the accent and if they didn't, it would end up as mouths moving w/o sound coming out.
May 28, 2014 7:47 AM

Aug 2012
AzuStar said:
e.e what is wrong about honorifics? the only thing different is the accent and if they didn't, it would end up as mouths moving w/o sound coming out.
Nobody actually uses Japanese honorifics when speaking in English. That's what's wrong with them.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
May 28, 2014 8:09 AM

Apr 2008
I will throw it out there, I do not watch dubs. I have tried and it just makes me cringe. That said...

I think it's very unfair to complain about English voice actors being used in every part with the Japanese do it very well. I myself don't mind it, sometimes it will be the cast that draws me to an anime because I know that they will be doing a very good job with it.
May 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Apr 2014
Thats because they're all one big anime family.
Ha. Ha. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA. HA.
I'm laughing because you got hurt.
May 28, 2014 9:11 AM

Feb 2010
mattbenz99 said:
Cupquake said:
mattbenz99 said:
LordofW said:
That's cause not many anime get dubbed...
the majority of anime worth watching are dubbed

Maybe for you, but dozens of anime I consider worth watching aren't even subbed and hundreds aren't dubbed, if not more.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 28, 2014 9:19 AM

Sep 2012
Never watched anime with dub -_-
May 28, 2014 9:20 AM

Jul 2013
-Envy- said:
DBZ must've been a horror for you.
May 28, 2014 9:24 AM

Mar 2013
shintai88 said:
I hate hearing the Pronounciation of the characters names in some dubs.
DGemu said:

Also this.
i hate it when they pronounce foreign names in the japanese version. it completely killed any enjoyment i could of had out of the japanese version of gankutsuou
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

May 28, 2014 9:26 AM

May 2014
-Envy- said:
Even Cowboy Bebop? Wow. You poor man/woman.
Anyone who doesn't hate anime hasn't watched enough anime.
- Anonymous
May 28, 2014 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
ThisNameSucks said:
-Envy- said:

Did they change the cast in Kai? Because Kai has been pretty great subbed, I don't get what you're talking about.
May 28, 2014 9:37 AM

Jan 2012
I think all the classic anime has stellar English casts.

For the newer stuff, I watch subbed because I don't like waiting. But if there is a dub, I'll watch it.

I know for xxxHolic the dub is way better, Yuuko voice is so much richer in English.

And for Black Lagoon it makes more sense for everyone to be speaking English. I mean, you have Americans, Russians, Chinese, and one Japanese character, yet the whole cast speaks Japanese for the benefit of one character? Nope. More likely all those cultures know English as a second language. Plus Revy sounds a lot better in English.

Don't get me wrong, there are a ton of good subs. But people who only watch subs are missing out on some great English voice acting that really breathes life into some characters and shows.
May 28, 2014 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
Dubs are actually good on serious scenes/moments (well i guess it's easier to dub a serious type of character) other than that, they don't sound that appealing as it lessen the vibe...unfitting for the character.
I heard one dubbed version of Fairy Tail and it almost killed me.
May 28, 2014 9:44 AM

Oct 2012
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ThisNameSucks said:
-Envy- said:

Did they change the cast in Kai? Because Kai has been pretty great subbed, I don't get what you're talking about.
Horikawa Ryo for the win
May 28, 2014 9:47 AM
Mar 2011
can you name 20 anime dubbed the sane studio that do nor=t hace 1 san cast memeber
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

May 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ThisNameSucks said:
-Envy- said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-q1KkQLVNo

Goku's voice actor sounds really really young and childish even though he looks like a body builder.

Its a case of, "this voice shouldn't be coming out of this body."
Mar 2013
they just can't seem to do anything right

the acting sounds forced and unrealistic

a lot of the voices feel out of place

and the actors themselves have no range whatsoever.

imo
May 28, 2014 9:48 AM
Mar 2011
WhiteMarauder said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ThisNameSucks said:
-Envy- said:

Goku's voice actor sounds really really young and childish even though he looks like a body builder.

unlike alot of us dubs japanese stiduis very realy change cas mid franchise
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

May 28, 2014 9:52 AM
Jul 2013
There is nothing wrong with companies dubbing nowadays. People who whine are just delusional in my opinion.

〜Nipah!
00002019May 28, 2014 9:55 AM
May 28, 2014 9:53 AM
Mar 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
There is nothing wrong with dubbing nowadays. People who say otherwise are just delusional in my opinion.
people who say dubbing is bad are entitled to an opinion in my opinion

and it's entirely subjective so you're wrong
May 28, 2014 9:56 AM
Mar 2011
Sung-Hwan said:
There is nothing wrong with companies dubbing nowadays. People who say otherwise are just delusional in my opinion.

〜Nipah!

when there is till cultural white washing going on in some cases

May 28, 2014 9:57 AM

Feb 2010
WhiteMarauder said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
ThisNameSucks said:
-Envy- said:

That didn't bother me. It's the same VA they've been using for Goku from the start.
And it's not half as bad as in Kenshin.
May 28, 2014 9:59 AM

Jan 2012
I will admit that after episode 60, Fairy Tail's dub went from being pretty great to terrible. The new voice actors are awful, I switched to subs. Before that everyone's voice fit so perfectly to their personality, appearance, etc.
May 28, 2014 9:59 AM

Mar 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

That didn't bother me. It's the same VA they've been using for Goku from the start.

That's why I watched Rurouni Kenshin in dubs. I couldn't stand the sound of the VA in subs.
May 28, 2014 10:00 AM
Jul 2013
FGAU1912 said:
Sung-Hwan said:
There is nothing wrong with companies dubbing nowadays. People who say otherwise are just delusional in my opinion.

〜Nipah!

"It's a dub. Dubs are the cancer killing anime and I am not supporting cancer."

- Sincerely, a typical idiot from /a/.

〜Nipah!
May 28, 2014 10:00 AM

May 2014
Sung-Hwan said:
There is nothing wrong with companies dubbing nowadays. People who whine are just delusional in my opinion.

〜Nipah!

I don't have a problem with dubs in the slightest.

I can name a few anime off the top of my head that are better dubbed. But I can't name a majority of anime that I feel like are better dubbed.

I don't care if a company wants to dub an anime. Its just that groups like Funimation keep rehiring the same mediocre VA's for multiple anime.
May 28, 2014 10:02 AM
Jul 2013
WhiteMarauder said:
Sung-Hwan said:

〜Nipah!

I don't have a problem with dubs in the slightest.

I can name a few anime off the top of my head that are better dubbed. But I can't name a majority of anime that I feel like are better dubbed.

I don't care if a company wants to dub an anime. Its just that groups like Funimation keep rehiring the same mediocre VA's for multiple anime.

Who is a "mediocre" VA often hired by Funimation? Troy Baker?

〜Nipah!
May 28, 2014 10:03 AM

May 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Some people don't like it. I'm guessing the main reason people don't like it is because most likely they first watched Dragonball on TV in English. So they're so used to hearing Goku's, Vegeta's, and Gohan's English VA's that its weird to them to hear the Japanese VA's.

I still think his Japanese VA sounds whiny. Its all a matter of opinion.
May 28, 2014 10:08 AM

Feb 2010
WhiteMarauder said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Some people don't like it. I'm guessing the main reason people don't like it is because most likely they first watched Dragonball on TV in English. So they're so used to hearing Goku's, Vegeta's, and Gohan's English VA's that its weird to them to hear the Japanese VA's.

I still think his Japanese VA sounds whiny. Its all a matter of opinion.

I also watched Dragon Ball and Z and TV, german dubbed though. It took me like 2 episodes to get used to the japanese version when I started Kai, but it wasn't a big deal. For Kenshin I tried to get over it too, but just couldn't manage despite only having read the manga. Idk, maybe it's because with all the constipation screams in DB my level of suspension of disbelief for the voice acting is already higher than usual ^^.
May 28, 2014 10:09 AM
Mar 2011
Sung-Hwan said:
FGAU1912 said:
Sung-Hwan said:

〜Nipah!

"It's a dub. Dubs are cancer killing anime and I am not supporting cancer."

- Sincerely, a typical Idiot from /a/.

so your ok with culture be fuck with
〜Nipah!

May 28, 2014 10:10 AM

May 2014
Sung-Hwan said:

Who is a "mediocre" VA often hired by Funimation? Troy Baker?

〜Nipah!

Troy Baker's an amazing VA. He was made for roles like Joel.

I noticed this about two weeks ago when I was watching Toonami actually. But a lot of the voice actors from show to show actually sounded really, really similar. Like they were using the same voice for different characters along each and every show. So it got confusing since there was almost no variation in the character's voices.

That was my issue with it. And a lot of the VA's that I hear in dubs are pretty mediocre. For instance, Eren in Attack on Titan.
May 28, 2014 10:10 AM

Feb 2010
pLaguE_ said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

That's why I watched Rurouni Kenshin in dubs. I couldn't stand the sound of the VA in subs.

I couldn't stand the dub either unfortunately. I had a dual audio file and switched between both audio tracks until I finally dropped and re-read the manga for the umpteenth time instead. Not sure what my problem with the dub was, but I remember not liking his voice either or maybe the voice acting. Plus it just felt awkward to hear them speak modern day english in a Meiji setting.
I'll watch the popular OVA one day, but overall I'll stick with the manga.
May 28, 2014 10:12 AM

Dec 2013
dub scriptwriting is cancer to anime
Combating against hoax MAL accounts and intentional down voting of objectively great anime. Pls join
May 28, 2014 10:13 AM

Mar 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
pLaguE_ said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

I couldn't stand the dub either unfortunately. I had a dual audio file and switched between both audio tracks until I finally dropped and re-read the manga for the umpteenth time instead. Not sure what my problem with the dub was, but I remember not liking his voice either or maybe the voice acting. Plus it just felt awkward to hear them speak modern day english in a Meiji setting.
I'll watch the popular OVA one day, but overall I'll stick with the manga.

I didn't really enjoy either, but I just picked the lesser evil to be honest.
May 28, 2014 10:19 AM
Jul 2013

Sarcasm is difficult on the internet. What I implied was if he was insinuating that someone amazing like Troy Baker was "mediocre," and more over the fact that Funimation does not hire mediocre voice actors for their lead roles.

〜Nipah!
May 28, 2014 10:21 AM

May 2014
Sung-Hwan said:

Sarcasm is difficult on the internet. What I implied was if he was insinuating that someone amazing like Troy Baker was "mediocre," and more over the fact that Funimation does not hire mediocre voice actors for their lead roles.

You lost me...
May 28, 2014 10:24 AM
Jul 2013
Fun fact: A lot of the VAs that anime fans claim to be mediocre are big names in the video game industry. Troy Baker in particular is currently the biggest man that everyone wants in their game. He was also Greed in FMA:B.

〜Nipah!
May 28, 2014 10:29 AM
Mar 2013
Sung-Hwan said:
Fun fact: A lot of the VAs that anime fans claim to be mediocre are big names in the video game industry. Troy Baker in particular is currently the biggest man that everyone wants in their game. He was also Greed in FMA:B.
just because they're in the video game industry doesn't make them any better
May 28, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2014
Sung-Hwan said:

The guy who's voicing Eren in AoT voiced Tiz in Bravely Default.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Papenbrook

Are you going to say that Tiz was well voiced?
May 28, 2014 10:35 AM
Jul 2013
WhiteMarauder said:
Sung-Hwan said:

The guy who's voicing Eren in AoT voiced Tiz in Bravely Default.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Papenbrook

Are you going to say that Tiz was well voiced?

I am somewhat amused that was the guy that voiced Asbel in Graces. You learn something every day!
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - Yesterday

44 by Gensouori »»
2 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 9 hours ago

47 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» Things you are jealous of in anime

IpreferEcchi - Apr 20

48 by Alpha_1_Zero »»
9 minutes ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

36 by Lhundrup »»
10 minutes ago

» Which are the cutest anime girl pout scenes ? (not fan arts but real scenes)

DarkGamerA - Jul 8, 2022

21 by Horshu »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.