Forum Settings
Forums

Anime or manga featuring Christian characters or Christian settings?

New
Apr 24, 2014 10:50 AM

Dec 2012
I am not referring to some sort of feel good story to reassure Christians that Jesus is awesome or the like. I am looking more for something where the story revolves around characters who are Christian or that takes place in some sort of Christian setting, such as in a church etc.

Ao no exorcist sort of fits the bill on a way although it's all about fighting demons and all that fantasy stuff. Saint young men was also very funny. I know that if these exist, they will be rare as japanese are overall atheist or Buddhist. Yet there is a population of Catholics in Japan and I would not be surprised if a handful were mangaka.

If there were some sort of drama about a priest that would seem like a good read, or maybe a drama or romance about characters set in a catholic school(not haganai, as much as I like it; although the characters were supposedly catholic, it seems the author just used them as a way to poke fun at the whole concept. But the girls were cute as hell so overall it was good lol).
I liked that samurai champloo touched a lot ln Christianity in early japan, sone if the characters were Christian. That's the type of thing I'm looking for.

As a Christian myself these would interesting and familiar topics in a story, most stories incorporate Shinto and Buddhist imagery and settings which I find very interesting as we'll, but sone variation would be nice. Any suggestions? Trolls need not respond, I'm not here to argue with anyone.
Apr 24, 2014 11:01 AM

Dec 2010
trinity blood
Apr 24, 2014 11:05 AM

Apr 2007
Sakamichi no Apollon, kind of. Two of the three main characters are devout Catholics, but religion is not the main focus of the series. They happen to be Christian because it makes sense given the setting (seaside Japanese town in the '60s with a lot of American influence). Christianity is portrayed realistically and in a positive light.
Apr 24, 2014 11:12 AM

Nov 2008
Maria-sama ga Miteru. It takes place in a Christian all-girl's school. The main focus is the relationships between the girls, but the Christian is more than just a passing thought (at least in the LN), and is incorporated into pretty much every aspect of their high-school life.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Apr 24, 2014 11:15 AM

Aug 2013
Rurouni Kenshin http://myanimelist.net/anime/45/Rurouni_Kenshin:_Meiji_Kenkaku_Romantan

The Shimabara arc (episodes 67 -76) focuses on Japanese Christians in Meiji era Japan.
Apr 24, 2014 11:48 AM

Jun 2012
Yeah, most anime series treat religion like just an element more of the show (similar to Ao no Exorcist and Haganai), and not really as the main focus. I know this is not really what you're looking for, but if you want you can give this shows a try:

-Seikon No Qwaser: The grand majority of the characters belong to the Russian Orthodox Church and they go to an Orthodox private school.

-To Aru Majutsu no Index: Has characters that belong to the English Anglican Church, Roman Catholic Church and Russian Orthodox Church. There are also Christian Japanese characters.

-Fate/Zero-Stay Night: There are several characters that belong to the Church (presumable Catholic) and even one of the main characters is a priest. Besides, the main objective of the series is reaching the Holy Grail.

-D-Gray Man: Battle shounen similar to Ao no exorcist. Charachters belong to the Church and are exorcists that fight demons.

-Hellsing Ultimate: Main characters belong to the Church of England and fight the Roman Catholic Church (and vampires and Nazis too).

I know this is not really what you had in mind, but all this series have a strong christian imagery and settings and have plenty of christian characters, and since you said you'd like to see that i'll just leave them here.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 24, 2014 5:12 PM

Feb 2014
Andan210 said:
Yeah, most anime series treat religion like just an element more of the show (similar to Ao no Exorcist and Haganai), and not really as the main focus. I know this is not really what you're looking for, but if you want you can give this shows a try:

-Seikon No Qwaser: The grand majority of the characters belong to the Russian Orthodox Church and they go to an Orthodox private school.

-To Aru Majutsu no Index: Has characters that belong to the English Anglican Church, Roman Catholic Church and Russian Orthodox Church. There are also Christian Japanese characters.

-Fate/Zero-Stay Night: There are several characters that belong to the Church (presumable Catholic) and even one of the main characters is a priest. Besides, the main objective of the series is reaching the Holy Grail.

-D-Gray Man: Battle shounen similar to Ao no exorcist. Charachters belong to the Church and are exorcists that fight demons.

-Hellsing Ultimate: Main characters belong to the Church of England and fight the Roman Catholic Church (and vampires and Nazis too).

I know this is not really what you had in mind, but all this series have a strong christian imagery and settings and have plenty of christian characters, and since you said you'd like to see that i'll just leave them here.

+1 Fate/zero -stay night
Apr 24, 2014 5:34 PM

Nov 2012
There's technically His Last Day which is a short made in conjunction with a Japanese studio.
Serenity is a comic done in manga style by an American (I think).
Anyhow, a few anime like Ghost Hunt and such have episodes that take place in places like Christian churches, but it's usually only two or three episodes. You'll be hard-pressed to find anything that goes deeper than that.
Apr 24, 2014 5:38 PM

Jul 2013
Ghost Hunt (anime - has a character who is a Catholic Priest who does exorcisms - if the fan subs are legit, the the scripture quoted is generally correctly used)

Asterisk (manga - the majority of characters are angels (like actually somewhat similar to the western understanding of angels), but not much is explicitly said about God or Christianity)

Hareluya II Boy (anime or manga - the MC's father is God who is now pretending to be a Christian priest on earth as he watches over his son who he is trying to teach a lesson to about humanity - it's really NOT as deep as it sounds - the son is a delinquent)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2014 5:38 PM

May 2013
Andan210 said:

^
Apr 24, 2014 5:55 PM

Feb 2013
Hellsing/Hellsing Ultimate
Chrno Crusade
Trigun (only one character is a Christian, but the overall message of the series feels very Christian to me)
Apr 24, 2014 6:18 PM

Apr 2013
Spice and Wolf deals with lots of things with the Christian church in terms of the economy and how they control things/other pagan religions in the Middle Ages. And while not exactly what you're looking for, Neon Genesis Evangelion has the most religious themes that I've seen in an anime. It deals a lot with the Dead Sea Scrolls, predictions of Revelations, lots of biblical knowledge/references, etc.
Apr 24, 2014 6:18 PM
Dec 2012
Toaru Majutsu no Index has a religious organization and seldom touch base with religious ideals.

More topics from this board

» Drama/sentimental anime

xSamdavidx - 4 hours ago

7 by mo_lave »»
1 hour ago

» Best horror anime?

Matteye - Apr 27

22 by mayoiko »»
3 hours ago

» Romances As Amazing As Bloom Into You?

Enderobot - Yesterday

3 by Faisal-Abdulhadi »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

15 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago

» Help Finding a Romance Manga About Two Ordinary People?

slebeepy - 7 hours ago

0 by slebeepy »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.