Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 14, 2014 10:08 AM

Mar 2012
Can I watch this show even though I haven't watched anything else of Dragon Ball?
Will there be things i'm missing or won't understand? If so, which one should I start with?
Apr 14, 2014 10:08 AM

Jan 2013
Sure, why not?
Apr 14, 2014 10:12 AM

Nov 2010
Look at the page, it's the sequel to a sequel, there's over 200 episodes before this. Of course not. You start with Dragonball, then you can watch Dragonball Z or the remake of Dragonball Z which is Dragonball Z Kai. They weren't able to remake all of Dragonball Z with Dragonball Kai, which is why this season(Dragonball Z Kai 2014) came out and it should conclude it.
Apr 14, 2014 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Oh I thought he meant can he watch dragon ball Z/kai before watching Dragon Ball.

The answer is definitely yes.

I and everyone else I've ever met watched Dragon Ball Z before Dragon Ball. It was part of being old enough to watch television in 2004.
Apr 14, 2014 10:14 AM
Feb 2010
its impossible to watch this first
anyway is that even a question???
Apr 14, 2014 10:17 AM

Mar 2012
I don't know anything about Dragon Ball and since this is a remake/remastered version or whatever it's called, I thought it could be watched first. Thanks for the answers.
Apr 14, 2014 10:41 AM

Aug 2013
WarrFork said:
Can I watch this show even though I haven't watched anything else of Dragon Ball?
Will there be things i'm missing or won't understand? If so, which one should I start with?
Start by watching the previous sagas of Kai. Dragon Ball Kai 2014 is basically the Buu saga of Kai which is the last saga. You should watch the previous episodes of Kai which totals 98 episodes before you begin watching this. So start here first http://myanimelist.net/anime/6033/Dragon_Ball_Kai
Apr 14, 2014 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
WarrFork said:
I don't know anything about Dragon Ball and since this is a remake/remastered version or whatever it's called, I thought it could be watched first. Thanks for the answers.

You need to watch Kai from the beginning, but you don't need to watch Dragon Ball first.

Ignore introverturtle, he wasn't alive when Dragon Ball Z aired on toonami.
Apr 14, 2014 11:52 AM
Feb 2010
SolviteSekai said:
WarrFork said:

You need to watch Kai from the beginning, but you don't need to watch Dragon Ball first.

Ignore introverturtle, he wasn't alive when Dragon Ball Z aired on toonami.
and we werent alive when it aired originally hahahaha
Apr 14, 2014 12:43 PM

Nov 2010
Well since there are now more conflicting opinions in this thread, in case you come back OP I'll make my point clearer.

Yes you can technically watch this first or DBZ Kai as a whole first even though it's a sequel to DB. But you can also only watch the last episode of the series and mark it as completed or watch the series backwards while also playing each episode backwards. But that doesn't mean you should. The people recommending you start with DBZ first all grew up with it, they didn't play DB on tv in most places and the over the top fighting in DBZ just appealed more to little boys. They have the feeling of, if I did it, you should be able to too. Hell, there are even DBZ fans who've never watched DB.

Factually, DBZ and DBZ kai are chronological sequels to DB. Like Haganai Next, Darker than Black: Ryuusei no Gemini, Fairy Tail 2014, etc in your list. It is chronologically a sequel. It's the same main characters, same world, same story, etc. Except of course in DB you get to see the start of everything leading up to Z.
So as you're a new watcher to the franchise and are not biased towards Z, I recommend if you do plan on starting the franchise, to start with DB as to get the full intended experience. A lot of people even see it as better than Z, so it isn't like DBZ is where it's good and you have to drudge through DB to get to it.
IntroverTurtleApr 14, 2014 12:47 PM
Apr 14, 2014 12:50 PM

Jun 2012
Watching Dragon Ball Kai without knowing anything of the original Dragon Ball is like watching Naruto: Shippuden without knowing anything of the original Naruto. You just don't do that.
Andan210Apr 14, 2014 1:06 PM
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 14, 2014 1:01 PM

Feb 2013
It's all up to you.
You will misunderstand some things if you start with that.
How will you know who the characters are in the first place?
But I personally watched Dragon Ball Z first, because the original Dragon Ball was on TV when I was a kid, and I wasn't really into it at that time.
I guess it's fun to watch it backwards too, you will feel like going back in time.
Apr 14, 2014 1:08 PM

Jun 2012
Ulquiorra1923 said:
It's all up to you.
But I personally watched Dragon Ball Z first, because the original Dragon Ball was on TV when I was a kid, and I wasn't really into it at that time.
I guess it's fun to watch it backwards too, you will feel like going back in time.

The difference with your case is that OP doesn't anything of Dragon Ball, be it the original/Z/Kai or whatever. So, if he REALLY wants to see Kai right now, at least he could go to Dragon Ball Wiki and read everything that happens in the original Dragon Ball, so he won't be confused as hell later on.
The only True Ending is the Harem Ending.
Apr 14, 2014 8:03 PM

Mar 2012
Thanks for the details, I have no urge to watch Kai first, i'll start with Dragon Ball as it seem to be the best to begins with.

I'd clearly be confused if I started watching Fairy Tail (2014) without have seen Fairy Tail like IntroverTurtle mentioned. I didn't knew it was the same case for Dragon Ball Kai (2014) / Dragon Ball Kai.
Apr 14, 2014 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
Its better you watch the 2009 DBZ Kai first then the OVA after it before you start on this installment.
Apr 14, 2014 10:44 PM

Aug 2013
Andan210 said:
Ulquiorra1923 said:
It's all up to you.

The difference with your case is that OP doesn't anything of Dragon Ball, be it the original/Z/Kai or whatever. So, if he REALLY wants to see Kai right now, at least he could go to Dragon Ball Wiki and read everything that happens in the original Dragon Ball, so he won't be confused as hell later on.
Not necessarily. The first episode of Kai gives you basically a series of flashbacks that serve as a brief summary of the events that took place in the original Dragon Ball and even includes footage from Bardock the Father of Goku special.
Apr 15, 2014 12:16 AM

Apr 2014
Andan210 said:

It's possible to be confused as hell watching dragonball anything? Mildly uncertain I could give you, but confused as hell?
Apr 20, 2014 4:54 PM

Jan 2013
At least start from the begging of Z or Z kai.But i recomend you to watch/read the begging of Dragon Ball with Kid Goku

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 61 Discussion

SilentTruth - Jun 27, 2015

27 by wildhood »»
Mar 27, 5:57 AM

» Videl Flying

Rijupalika - Jul 8, 2022

11 by Tarekchahattou »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:35 PM

» Why does MAL have 61 when it's 69?

ThatOneGalXenora - May 4, 2018

20 by Alexioos95 »»
Dec 2, 2023 4:42 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai (2014) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 5, 2014

98 by Frosty »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:52 AM

» Why the hate for Kai?

xfero - Apr 12, 2014

28 by Tarekchahattou »»
Nov 2, 2023 7:40 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.