No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
May 15, 2014 11:25 AM

Oct 2007
Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's pretty clear that the show is primarily over the top wish fulfillment empowerment stuff for NEET otaku where you're along the ride with the main duo that represents said demographic and which never loses and always gets it's way in the end.

Actually our demographic is: "those who enjoy shows that cause posers to work their panties into a bind trying so hard to prove that they are too enlightened to enjoy just mere entertainment and wish that all shows were as bold and wonderful as 'Aku no Hana'".

Granted the show itself is a lot of fun, but the complainers are like the frosting or exactly the cherry on top.

Eh? Admittedly I find it mildly entertaining at best, I think the question that's being asked really is why MAL is totally losing it's shit over the show like it's a weekly rapture. Like there's plenty of fun little shows out there, but this seems to be special at least on MAL in terms of the sheer positive reaction week to week and I'm just not seeing what that Je ne sais quoi is. For me it's like 6/10 pure average zany over the top fanservice comedy that you get several of pretty much every season so while I don't hate it or anything it doesn't exactly separate itself from the pack either.

I just think it's hard for people to understand that there are ratings and reactions other than "ZOMG BEST EVAR" or "WTF CRAP TRAINWRECK SHIT LOLOLOL!!!!"

Cupquake said:
Because it's a simple show that is easy to enjoy and it has nice art.

kitkatxz said:
Cause this show is interesting to watch. 90% people will only watch a show because they find it interesting. Plus its about gaming which im pretty sure mostly everybody on this forum does. So its a simple equation really!
Entertaining + relatable = POPULAR TO ANIME LOVERS!

Solkiskey said:
because it's good

why else

I don't think that's it. There's lots of show that are exactly as these posts described where the reasons given are the same but that don't get anywhere near this fervent or fanatical a reaction out of MAL. If that was all it was it'd certainly be a well received show with a rating of something like 7/10 by MAL standards and ranked somewhere in the top 1000, not top 100. People understand the difference here and why this is a little unusual right? MAL has decided this show is very much exceptional and people are asking why. Like what specifically pushes it over the edge and separates it from the pack for so many people that gets those reactions and those ratings out of people in the weekly threads?

So far all I'm seeing is "haters gonna hate" and "it's a fun simple show that's good", and honestly I really am curious if somebody has something more tangible that can explain it's runaway popularity which is well above average. I feel like the question the thread is asking is either not being understood or just being ignored for simplistic answers and defensiveness.
PeacingOutMay 15, 2014 11:35 AM
May 15, 2014 12:10 PM
Mar 2014
I don't know any other shows where the MC wins a chess match by giving an impassioned speech to the pieces and starting a revolution. Or where a shiritori match is won by summoning a nuke and destroying the laws of physics. It's this ridiculousness (in the best sense of the word) which makes the show so enjoyable. (At least, I think so. Trying to analyze something objectively is a lot harder than just saying "I like it".)

I'd compare the over-the-top aspect of NGNL to TTGL (which is also very highly rated), but I don't want to infuriate people who consider that anime a masterpiece, and this one "otaku pandering bullshit", or whatever else was said on this thread.
May 15, 2014 12:14 PM

Mar 2008
just watch episode 6
recreated the scene perfectly from the book
the absurd settings and the details of the world is really well done
May 15, 2014 1:11 PM

Oct 2007
dirtyuncle said:
I don't know any other shows where the MC wins a chess match by giving an impassioned speech to the pieces and starting a revolution. Or where a shiritori match is won by summoning a nuke and destroying the laws of physics. It's this ridiculousness (in the best sense of the word) which makes the show so enjoyable. (At least, I think so. Trying to analyze something objectively is a lot harder than just saying "I like it".)

I'd compare the over-the-top aspect of NGNL to TTGL (which is also very highly rated), but I don't want to infuriate people who consider that anime a masterpiece, and this one "otaku pandering bullshit", or whatever else was said on this thread.

Thing is MAL seems pretty selective on when ridiculousness is seen as an acceptable good thing or something that detracts from a show. Personally I'm still not convinced its not just a bandwagon thing and because the show has tons of fan service good production values and is perceived as being that all important "epic" that's carrying it for MAL.
May 15, 2014 1:21 PM

Sep 2013
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

Yeah, that absurd that they broke their own rule within the show and took around 33 seconds because they had to include moaning naked girls.

The match should have already been over. It has been over 30 seconds.

It's as if the writers themselves don't even care about this shit anime.
May 15, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2011
Boobs, Wincest and Mind games.
May 15, 2014 2:28 PM

Oct 2007
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

Yeah, that absurd that they broke their own rule within the show and took around 33 seconds because they had to include moaning naked girls.

I feel like all of these problems are rendered irrelevant for the average MALer because the show is seen as "epic". I think that can mean different things for different people but I swear I've seen that one vague praise put upon then show more than any other in the past month.
May 15, 2014 2:30 PM

Jan 2014
Well there's lolis, games, and fan service.
What else can you expect?

May 15, 2014 2:55 PM

Jan 2008
Why it's hyped and popular? Have you SEEN episode 6? That shit was EPIC. Beyond epic, it was galaxy shattering, literally.
May 15, 2014 2:59 PM
Feb 2014
Kaioshin_Sama said:

So far all I'm seeing is "haters gonna hate" and "it's a fun simple show that's good", and honestly I really am curious if somebody has something more tangible that can explain it's runaway popularity which is well above average. I feel like the question the thread is asking is either not being understood or just being ignored for simplistic answers and defensiveness.

My very own reason for liking it, is that you can do both:

You can just watch it without thinking about it and it is fun AND you can actually analyse it and still never find glaring mistakes in what happened.

Take episode 6 for example:
There were some people like me who were concerned about the physics there but after thinking everything through we got to the result that nothing that happened would be impossible from a scientific view (obviously at some point you have to let minor mistakes go in favor for making it easier to understand and also for entertainment value - noone would vent at Star Wars because it had sounds in space).
On the other hand there were many people who did not care one bit about how the physics worked and still enjoyed it the same way like I did.

Another example is episode 4:
You could just watch the chess game, like it and couldn't understand each and every thing OR you could delve into it deeper and see all the little things the author cared about while planning this game.
(As a side note to your point in the 6th episode thread about how this anime is just for japanese otaku and doesn't cross cultural borders: the whole reason why Sora won this "chess" game was because of Chivalry, which is one of the most western concepts ever...)

Imo that is actually sth remarkable and makes the anime so enjoyable at least for me.
Caleb8980May 15, 2014 3:02 PM
May 15, 2014 4:02 PM

Feb 2013
why do people ask questions like this??
its popular
there is always going to be anime thats is liked more than others
May 15, 2014 4:22 PM

Nov 2011
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

Its written by 1 person, genius.

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:
It's pretty clear that the show is primarily over the top wish fulfillment empowerment stuff for NEET otaku where you're along the ride with the main duo that represents said demographic and which never loses and always gets it's way in the end.

Actually our demographic is: "those who enjoy shows that cause posers to work their panties into a bind trying so hard to prove that they are too enlightened to enjoy just mere entertainment and wish that all shows were as bold and wonderful as 'Aku no Hana'".

Granted the show itself is a lot of fun, but the complainers are like the frosting or exactly the cherry on top.

Pretty much.

I do want to add that this show is clearly not aimed at NEET, because they don't have any fucking money.
It just shows that somebody is trying to come up with baseless insults towards the target demographic.

Ofcourse, if this was made by Sunrise, he'd be praising it into the high heavens.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 15, 2014 5:05 PM

Jul 2011
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

You know things like that never actually happen in real time right. Shows that have explanations or things happening during timed events will tend to go over the time. As another example in this ep between the time Blank removed the atmosphere and the game ended, that only takes around 15~20seconds, otherwise they would be unconscious/dead. But all the inner monologues and visual bits stretched it out to several minutes long.
May 15, 2014 6:32 PM

Oct 2007
rederoin said:
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Pretty much.

I do want to add that this show is clearly not aimed at NEET, because they don't have any fucking money.
It just shows that somebody is trying to come up with baseless insults towards the target demographic.

Ofcourse, if this was made by Sunrise, he'd be praising it into the high heavens.

Nope. For example I currently have this rated the same as Love Live. Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not some studio fanboy for Sunrise, I just think they have a better track record than most.

@Caleb: That's true but if I do that which I'm admittedly kind of trying to it kind of excludes it from that ZOMG Masterpiece reaction that a lot of people are having. Basically as I keep trying to explain I'm weighing strengths and weaknesses here and the show just kind of comes out kind of average. Also I think part of the problem here is some people can't tell the difference between criticisms and insults. Too some people any sort of criticism of some shows is seen as insulting the audience For example when I call something otaku pandering I'm basically saying I can't see any other purpose to an element in a show or what its doing than just trying to appeal to otaku sensibilities and reflex reactions. To others maybe they don't see at that way I don't know but for me those aspects and sometimes entire episodes just arent working for me.
PeacingOutMay 15, 2014 9:18 PM
May 16, 2014 2:07 AM

Sep 2013
Caleb8980 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

You can just watch it without thinking about it and it is fun AND you can actually analyse it and still never find glaring mistakes in what happened.

One turn took them 33 seconds while it was stated they are only allowed to take 30.
May 16, 2014 2:33 AM
Feb 2014
TheLivingVirus said:
Caleb8980 said:

One turn took them 33 seconds while it was stated they are only allowed to take 30.

This marks the x-th time I see sb here conveniently read past other posts just to force sth down one's throat -.-

For better understanding I will quote the post of DivAsakust, which you seemingly forgot about:

DivAsakust said:

You know things like that never actually happen in real time right. Shows that have explanations or things happening during timed events will tend to go over the time. As another example in this ep between the time Blank removed the atmosphere and the game ended, that only takes around 15~20seconds, otherwise they would be unconscious/dead. But all the inner monologues and visual bits stretched it out to several minutes long.

Inner monologue in real time happens within seconds, obviously if you have to speak out what you think that will take much more time and in a movie or anime there are times one has to point those inner monologues out for better understanding. How would you do that without having the VA actually speaking out the thoughts of the person?

Sorry but that should be base knowledge for watching any kind of movie/anime...
May 16, 2014 2:37 AM
Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
rederoin said:
TheLivingVirus said:
letswrok said:
just watch episode 6

Takuan_Soho said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

Pretty much.

Nope. For example I currently have this rated the same as Love Live. Both shows have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not some studio fanboy for Sunrise, I just think they have a better track record than most.

@Caleb: That's true but if I do that which I'm admittedly kind of trying to it kind of excludes it from that ZOMG Masterpiece reaction that a lot of people are having. Basically as I keep trying to explain I'm weighing strengths and weaknesses here and the show just kind of comes out kind of average. Also I think part of the problem here is some people can't tell the difference between criticisms and insults. Too some people any sort of criticism of some shows is seen as insulting the audience For example when I call something otaku pandering I'm basically saying I can't see any other purpose to an element in a show or what its doing than just trying to appeal to otaku sensibilities and reflex reactions. To others maybe they don't see at that way I don't know but for me those aspects and sometimes entire episodes just arent working for me.

I cloud argue about the fact that most of the shows that you ranked as masterpieces in your list are far less attractive, at least to me, then other shows. I meant they are mostly old shouen-styled heroic anime or mecha, personally I find mecha shows to be nonsense from the standpoint of military science and the probable engineering issues of making such mech (are the people making this trying to insult my knowledge of military and engineering I wonder when I see mechs), the future is at least for the few next few decades in RC and advanced battlefield integration, not mechs usually armed with non-realistic weapons for their size, or bluntly idiotically big ones.
On the other hand the only newer things high in the ratings are retro-styled anime or mecha shows ... so I am wondering how objective can one be when he is almost clearly a nostalgic b*****d which to me looks like he would like that anime making remained stoned in the last decade of the previous millennium. (So nostalgic that he actually uses a Dragon Ball character's name for his nickname).
It is the good old "things were better when I was a child" non sense I hear from all the people older then me. If you are one of them and if things were really so much better in the past then why don't you just leave us, the generations of today and tomorrow alone and sit quietly in a corner together with your nostalgia.

The comment that Takuan quoted sounds like a freaking insult to me - it shows that you think that the show is something that is not.

1. Yeah a nice portion of people watching this are Otakus - but most Otakus watch this kind of shows. I am an Otaku so what? Otaku is just a word describing someone with a strong interest in something. I am an anime Otaku, a manga Otaku, a tank Otaku, a science fiction Otako ... all at the same time. Otaku is just a Japanese term roughly equivalent someone that due to an especially strong interest in some part(s) of the world is taken as a an abnormal existence by the rest of the world.

So you are incorrectly using the term Otaku to insult someone which might not even have any connection to the show and might even not watch it. By using the term Otaku as an insult you are even insulting yourself since you are an Otaku too.

2. NEET is an English acronym for "Not in Education, Employment or Training". By using this term you are attacking all those which are unlucky enough not to be able to get a job due to economical situations, recessions and so on. At the moment I am an NEET but only because that due to financial reasons I was unable to continue college and my papers got stuck half way to the other side of the country in the university I was going to.

So: "Apologize to the Unemployed of the World! Baka!"

3. My youngest brother is enjoying NGNL! He has no idea what Otaku or NEET and is definitely not a part of any of those extremely wide social groups you mentioned. He also doesn't get any of the references but he still enjoys watching it. So you argument about it being a "targeted" anime is, by my opinion, invalid since I think that pretty much anyone can enjoy NGNL.

4. "The exception proves the rule". That are you rare haters to NGNL. Exception(s) that prove how good the show is.

TheLivingVirus said:
Caleb8980 said:
Kaioshin_Sama said:

It is the called the rule of television - time is free to be distorted for the needs to focus on one part of a plot, internal monologue, epic parts of a fight and so on - hey bullet time is all about this. Actually three seconds of added time are nothing compared how CSI shows for example cram a whole investigation in a 30 minutes episode (in reality forensic investigations take weeks & months if not years) with little to no time skips of realistic length.
gamer5May 16, 2014 2:45 AM
May 16, 2014 3:44 AM
Sep 2011
Cause its fun as hell.

Thats about all an anime needs to be popular.
May 16, 2014 4:15 AM

Sep 2013
gamer5 said:

It is the called the rule of television - time is free to be distorted for the needs to focus on one part of a plot, internal monologue, epic parts of a fight and so on - hey bullet time is all about this. Actually three seconds of added time are nothing compared how CSI shows for example cram a whole investigation in a 30 minutes episode (in reality forensic investigations take weeks & months if not years) with little to no time skips of realistic length.

The thing is, it was ONE conclued scene. There were no breaks, cuts or anything else, it was just Sora getting off on how hot all the girls are after removing their clothes.

Stop trying to defend this show's inconsistent writing and plot holes.

And of course shows would not show an hour-long process (the investigation, as in your example) iin real-time. This scene in No Game No Life was not meant to be cut anywhere logicwise. It was just ONE scene with nothing else included yet it took them more time than the rules said there are allowed.

Why even focus on such a time limit then? If the writer cared he'd just make the limit 35 seconds or had removed one unnecessary moaning of one of those stupid girls - et voila, time limit fixed, but no. They don't care because people like those already rating it 10/10 and writing reviews will eat this shit right the fuck up regardless of what they are presented.

They'll also make this scene shorter in the BD releases. Calling it.
May 16, 2014 4:40 AM
Feb 2014
TheLivingVirus said:
gamer5 said:

The thing is, it was ONE conclued scene. There were no breaks, cuts or anything else, it was just Sora getting off on how hot all the girls are after removing their clothes.

Stop trying to defend this show's inconsistent writing and plot holes.

And of course shows would not show an hour-long process (the investigation, as in your example) iin real-time. This scene in No Game No Life was not meant to be cut anywhere logicwise. It was just ONE scene with nothing else included yet it took them more time than the rules said there are allowed.

Why even focus on such a time limit then? If the writer cared he'd just make the limit 35 seconds or had removed one unnecessary moaning of one of those stupid girls - et voila, time limit fixed, but no. They don't care because people like those already rating it 10/10 and writing reviews will eat this shit right the fuck up regardless of what they are presented.

They'll also make this scene shorter in the BD releases. Calling it.

2 words: Entertainment value.

Are you hating Star Wars because it has laser swords and sound in space or other movies because a bomb in there that should blow up in 1 minute doesn't blow up even after 3?

Right now you are incredibly nitpicky to the point where one can just see that you actually searched the anime for a point you could hate about as your opinion was strongly biased way before watching this episode.

Also in the scene you are referring to it is not even clear what of it only happened in Sora's head and what was actually said. The pictures obviously happened only in his head and we know the last and first sentence were actually spoken but nothing else
May 16, 2014 5:14 AM
Feb 2014
Because it's awesome.
May 16, 2014 6:05 AM

Sep 2013
Caleb8980 said:

Are you hating Star Wars because it has laser swords and sound in space or other movies because a bomb in there that should blow up in 1 minute doesn't blow up even after 3?

Why should Star Wars be "unhateable"? I don't like Star Wars but it's not because of that.

Caleb8980 said:
Right now you are incredibly nitpicky to the point where one can just see that you actually searched the anime for a point you could hate about as your opinion was strongly biased way before watching this episode.

Excuse me not just eating everything right away what the modern anime industry is trying to force down my throat. At first I rewinded that scene because I couldn't believe No Game No Life actually just did this but I noticed the "error" in the first watch.

The show is that shallow it's not hard to notice if you aren't being completely biased yourself about it.

Caleb8980 said:

Also in the scene you are referring to it is not even clear what of it only happened in Sora's head and what was actually said. The pictures obviously happened only in his head and we know the last and first sentence were actually spoken but nothing else

That's debateable. If it's unsure it did not happen inside his head it's also unsure if it did. It's just lazy writing.
May 16, 2014 6:23 AM

Oct 2011
TheLivingVirus said:

Excuse me not just eating everything right away what the modern anime industry is trying to force down my throat.

Nobody's forcing anything. You voluntarily watch whatever it is that you watch. There is also no such thing as an unbiased opinion. All of your favorite shows are your favorite shows is because you have a bias towards certain elements of those shows that makes you think that they're great.

Also, DBZ must have really gotten on your nerves eh?
CheesekaoMay 16, 2014 6:38 AM
May 16, 2014 6:50 AM
Oct 2013
Since when does 1 sec in anime equal to 1 sec of real life time? There were so many animes that took 5 minutes to 5 episodes for the last 5 seconds of a game match or before a bomb exploded, and they bothered me much more than 33 seconds for 30 seconds, just saying.

In my opinion the show is good if you turn half of your brain off for the highest enjoyment levels. Not all animes need to be realistic / follow the right time scale / make perfect sense. There happened to be animes that made no sense whatsoever, and you still enjoyed right? Then this is the kind I think I enjoyed. At least it's something different from 10 other very same animes we can find this season, overpowered mahou protagonist instant-beating everyone, high-school N-gons love stories, random henshin/summons etc, any you can name.

At least after watching episode 6 I could say, wow that made no sense and was ridiculously crazy...yet it was so entertaining. Don't get me wrong. I'm not that of a big fan of this show, I am just saying you can change your point of view a bit and can start to enjoy it. I only rated it 6/10 before watching episode 6 (now 7/10) and l would say it will never be the anime of the season/year. If it's really that bad to you just drop it, there are always better shows from time to time anyway.

Oh and yes, I hate fan service.
May 16, 2014 6:51 AM

Nov 2013
Cheesekao said:

Dat 5 minutes to Namek's demise moment... It was so good it lasted several episodes.
Good times.
May 16, 2014 7:44 AM

Sep 2013
Cheesekao said:

I never really watched/liked DBZ in general to being with.
May 16, 2014 7:53 AM

Oct 2013
Lol stupid thread....

It's popular because it uses the same premise SAO does. An MC who is a NEET and a shutdown who should be 200 pounds with no social skills but instead is an attractive, charming and overpowered genius. Throw "intelligent" games and "philosophy" in there mixed with boobs and TADA!!! Ranked No69(currently,nice number btw) after 6 episodes.

The creators are good marketers and they know their target group.... It is quite entertaining though.
vedatsvetMay 16, 2014 7:56 AM
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 16, 2014 7:58 AM

Oct 2011
soundscape said:

An MC who is a NEET and a shutdown who should be 200 pounds with no social skills but instead is an attractive,

And your post is stupid.
1. As long as you eat a balanced diet, you won't get fat even if you don't exercise. You may get a mini beer belly but that's as far as you go. I overeat at times and hardly ever exercise or do any physically intensive work and I'm only 68kg.
2. NEET =/= hikikimori. A NEET is someone who is currently not in employment, education or training. That does not inherently mean that they were never in employment, education or training. A hikikimori is someone who rarely leaves their house and likes to be alone.
3. Your looks and talents have nothing to do with being a NEET or not.
CheesekaoMay 16, 2014 8:08 AM
May 16, 2014 9:21 AM

Apr 2013
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

It's popular because it uses the same premise SAO does. An MC who is a NEET and a shutdown who should be 200 pounds with no social skills but instead is an attractive, charming and overpowered genius. Throw "intelligent" games and "philosophy" in there mixed with boobs and TADA!!! Ranked No69(currently,nice number btw) after 6 episodes.

The creators are good marketers and they know their target group.... It is quite entertaining though.

Wait, since when was Kirito a NEET?
May 16, 2014 9:53 AM

Oct 2013
Cheesekao said:
soundscape said:

An MC who is a NEET and a shutdown who should be 200 pounds with no social skills but instead is an attractive,

And your post is stupid.
1. As long as you eat a balanced diet, you won't get fat even if you don't exercise. You may get a mini beer belly but that's as far as you go. I overeat at times and hardly ever exercise or do any physically intensive work and I'm only 68kg.
2. NEET =/= hikikimori. A NEET is someone who is currently not in employment, education or training. That does not inherently mean that they were never in employment, education or training. A hikikimori is someone who rarely leaves their house and likes to be alone.
3. Your looks and talents have nothing to do with being a NEET or not.

Ilike that this is waht you focus on.... Ok I'll agree with you, he is completely realistic and relatable. Happy now?
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". Ella Wheeler Wilcox
May 16, 2014 9:54 AM

Oct 2013
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

Good to see you focus on the point I was making and not on something completely pointless and irrelevant.
May 16, 2014 10:04 AM

Mar 2014
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

Good to see you focus on the point I was making and not on something completely pointless and irrelevant.

It's not pointless and irrelevant if you brought it up.
May 16, 2014 10:06 AM

Oct 2012
This anime is nowhere near the trainwreck SAO is.

For starters NGNL actually has focus. And his non-blood sibling isn't all fawning over him in a sexual way.

But let's not delve into this further, this isn't a hyped anime vs hyped anime thread.
May 16, 2014 10:09 AM
Oct 2012
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

The point you were making was pointless and irrevelant as well. You were the one who compare this to SAO, so if all the things you wrote didn't apply to SAO, then why should it apply here. Salxer just refuted your argument with pretty basic logic

The simple logic of your statement
A = NGNL
B = SAO
C = Your definition.
Your argument was A=B and A=C so it follows that B=C
however Salxer showed that B/=C
Therefore
If A=B
And B /= C
Then A/=C
May 16, 2014 10:14 AM

Apr 2013
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

If you think it's pointless and irrelevant then why did you mention it? it's your exact words in the end.
I don't see why a false statement shouldn't be pointed out.
May 16, 2014 10:26 AM

Oct 2013

I was making a point that he resembles Kirito. I was mistaken he isn't a NEET. Ok but you ddi understand the comparison and the point I wanted to make? So if he is a NEET or not what's the relevance?
May 16, 2014 10:30 AM

Oct 2013
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

If you think it's pointless and irrelevant then why did you mention it? it's your exact words in the end.

It's irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. Yes Kirito wasn't a NEET. But was I far off the mark? Is he a cool social guy who doesn't play games all the time? If I was so wrong than ok you should mention that. And my comparison would be a fail. But if you did understand what I mean and if you did get my point and if my comparison was on the mark, I don't see how it should be even mentioned. Well I might be wrong.
May 16, 2014 10:32 AM
Oct 2012
soundscape said:
I was making a point that he resembles Kirito. I was mistaken he isn't a NEET. Ok but you ddi understand the comparison and the point I wanted to make? So if he is a NEET or not what's the relevance?

Sora isn't attractive
Kirito also wasn't intelligent
Sora wouldn't have been overweight because they barely ate.
Sora isn't "charming" either.

Shall we go on?
May 16, 2014 10:32 AM

Oct 2013

You must be fun at parties. For a smart person you act like you didn't understand what I wanted to say.
May 16, 2014 10:35 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
soundscape said:

Sora isn't attractive
Kirito also wasn't intelligent
Sora wouldn't have been overweight because they barely ate.
Sora isn't "charming" either.

Shall we go on?

Ok you are right there are no similarities whatsoever.
May 16, 2014 10:37 AM

Apr 2013
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Salxer said:
soundscape said:
Lol stupid thread....

It's irrelevant to the point I was trying to make. Yes Kirito wasn't a NEET. But was I far off the mark? Is he a cool social guy who doesn't play games all the time? If I was so wrong than ok you should mention that. And my comparison would be a fail. But if you did understand what I mean and if you did get my point and if my comparison was on the mark, I don't see how it should be even mentioned. Well I might be wrong.

Kirito isn't a genius either, and I don't remember SAO having intelligent games.
I don't disagree with what you said about NGNL, but I think the comparison with SAO is a bad one.
Edit: okay, I see you admitted this. I don't have anything more to say.
May 16, 2014 10:39 AM
Oct 2012
soundscape said:
You must be fun at parties. For a smart person you act like you didn't understand what I wanted to say.

No, the problem is I DO understand what you wanted to say. You want to say that you are SOOO much
smarter than people who like this show because you "get" what it is really all about.

The only problem is that you then went out and shot yourself in the foot disproving your "intent".

No one likes this show because they think they could be "Sora", no one. Only idiots who want to prance about saying "I'm so clever, I'm so clever" believe that.
May 16, 2014 10:40 AM

Mar 2014

If it was irrelevant to the point you were trying to make, then why use that as an example. If you're trying to argue with someone or have a debate don't bring in irrelevant examples that don't contribute to your point. It distracts the reader.
May 16, 2014 10:41 AM

Oct 2013
Takuan_Soho said:
soundscape said:

No, the problem is I DO understand what you wanted to say. You want to say that you are SOOO much
smarter than people who like this show because you "get" what it is really all about.

The only problem is that you then went out and shot yourself in the foot disproving your "intent".

No one likes this show because they think they could be "Sora", no one. Only idiots who want to prance about saying "I'm so clever, I'm so clever" believe that.

Ok.
May 16, 2014 10:42 AM

Oct 2013
pLaguE_ said:

If it was irrelevant to the point you were trying to make, then why use that as an example. If you're trying to argue with someone or have a debate don't bring in irrelevant examples that don't contribute to your point. It distracts the reader.

Ok.
May 16, 2014 10:43 AM

Mar 2014
soundscape said:
pLaguE_ said:

Ok.

You seem to have given up, good attempts at trying to back up your claims though...

Not that I even disagree with you, you just seem to have a one track mind and you like to bring conversations down to your level without listening to others.
May 16, 2014 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
pLaguE_ said:
soundscape said:
pLaguE_ said:

Ok.

You seem to have given up, good attempts at trying to back up your claims though...

Not that I even disagree with you, you just seem to have a one track mind and you like to bring conversations down to your level without listening to others.

Everyone seem to be psychologists these days. "Ok." was meant to stop writing.
May 16, 2014 12:16 PM
May 2008
I wanna give a shot at deciphering soundscape's reasoning. Though I believe Takuen got it right..I'll say it differently.

The characters in both ngnl and sao are unbelievable because they are the einstien of their world. Sao required fast reaction timing/sword fighting and kirito was a genius sword fighter and had innate fastest reaction timing. NGNL required intelligence/wisdom and Sora is literally a genius in that aspect.

People with lack of social lives tend to be ugly and have bad communication skills. In both Sao and NGNL the main characters get all the girls, which makes it unbelievable.

To solve this issue of disbelief I'd like to point out soundscape's quote. "Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone". The main problem with those who lack social lives is that they constantly weep alone, that makes them unattractive. Neither main characters are wallowing in their own despair they're doing things. Which is making them attractive. Also being skilled in any one thing also makes people attractive, even if you're 200 lbs a skilled pro gamer can attract cute girls. Also it's the look of depression that makes people ugly. If you look anything other than sad or angry then you can look attractive to other people.

I really enjoy both NGNL and SAO.
May 16, 2014 1:32 PM

Oct 2007
Adolfhitlesaurus said:
It's fun and people like fun things? It's riding on a hype train of epic proportions?
I wonder, I wonder..

I'm enjoying the show, but i don't really get the love/hype for it myself, but doesn't this happen every season though? A new show comes out and everyone is all over it like bees on honey.

Yeah its not exactly unusual for MAL at least. It absolutely looks like a hype train flavor of the month show that people are bandwagoning onto and arbitrarily praising. Once the season is done it'll almost certainly be forgotten about particularly because outside of MAL its not really that big a fucking deal.
PeacingOutMay 16, 2014 1:41 PM
May 16, 2014 1:52 PM
Feb 2014
TheLivingVirus said:
Caleb8980 said:

Why should Star Wars be "unhateable"? I don't like Star Wars but it's not because of that.

Caleb8980 said:

Excuse me not just eating everything right away what the modern anime industry is trying to force down my throat. At first I rewinded that scene because I couldn't believe No Game No Life actually just did this but I noticed the "error" in the first watch.

The show is that shallow it's not hard to notice if you aren't being completely biased yourself about it.

Caleb8980 said:

That's debateable. If it's unsure it did not happen inside his head it's also unsure if it did. It's just lazy writing.

You are reading way too much into my post...where exactly have I said that Star Wars was unhateable?
I only said that hating Star Wars for said reasons would miss the point these movies are made for and as it is not a documentation but pure entertainment.

And no I'm not saying you should overlook the errors in the anime but that there is a difference if an error is glaring or if you have to pay attention to even notice it; no you wouldn't even notice it if you would not dislike the anime, as no person would see that one scene goes 3! (not 5 or even 10) seconds above the rule until you would search for said errors. (and no it doesn't matter for this point if you watched it 1 time or 10 times)

No, on the contrary the more attention you would need to pay to the anime for finding those errors, the better an anime actually is, or do you disagree here?

Lastly this:

Now you are getting a bit defensive. So if things stay unclear we have lazy writing?

Let's face it: You were sure that all of this was said in real time and didn't even think about the possibility it was inner monologue until I pointed this out, you even said so in your posts before.

But there were even pictures shown that could not be happening in real time, so why would you think this was actually said in first place?
If you only take the parts which are clearly said (because you see Sora speaking) it still makes complete sense, the answer of Shiro included.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2014

623 by hsallrounder »»
6 hours ago

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

58 by Animeistaken »»
Apr 24, 8:33 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1020 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 5:11 PM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

476 by FarCritical »»
Apr 22, 2:47 PM

» Your wishes for this april fool

Jackson_rajkumar - Mar 31

16 by sloth848 »»
Apr 19, 8:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.