Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2014 4:55 PM
Mar 2014
Recently, I watched the Dragonball Z movie, Battle of the Gods. And while enjoyable in it’s own right, I cannot possibly accept this movie as canon between the end of Kid Buu, and the beginning of 28th world martial arts tournament. I have many claims as to why this is not canon. While many of these can be seen as extreme nitpicking, but any major fan of the Dragonball franchise would notice these points, and question it. Just because Toriyama helped write this, does NOT make it canon.
But first, allow me to complement the character of Bills and Wiss. Both of these characters are hilarious. Bills, being the god of destruction, has a very child-like aspect to him. He alone is the reason to see this movie. He is curious of all of the things Earth has to offer. He enjoys exploring new food, and new things. Wiss on the other hand, watches Bills as he sleeps. He is like Bills, accept more classes about how he goes about everything.
Now, point out many of the inconsistencies I saw with this movie. I will be splitting the series into four major arcs, Saiyan Arc, Freeza Arc, Cell Arc, and Buu Arc. I am doing this to allow for easier understanding of my complaints.
- Freeza is a major point to Bills.
Why this is, I have no idea. This however, is minor, and they explain it as well. Bills sleeps for many years at a time, and most recently woke up after 39 years. Within these 39 years, Freeza must have been the most powerful creature in the universe, until Goku defeated him and Trunks killed him.
- Vegeta in Saiyan armor.
It is implied that after the Cell arc of the series, Vegeta gave up wearing Saiyan armor, and no longer wears his saiyan armor. This does include while he is training, as seen in both the manga and the series. This an extremely MINOR complaint, since Bulma asks why Vegeta is still in his “training” armor when he is training. So it is assumed that Vegeta still uses armor when he is training.
- Trunks, Goten, Marron, and Gohan, show no sign of aging.
This is a major point as to why I cannot accept this as canon to the series. Maron, appears to still be the same age as she was at the end of Dragon Ball Z. This contradicts the fact that Videl is pregnant with Pan at this point. Pan is three or four years old (Depending) during the 28th martial arts tournament. Maron, during the ending portion of Dragon Ball Z, is shown to be MUCH older (12 – 14 years old).
Now for Gohan, Goten, and Trunks, it gets a bit more confusing. All three of these characters, are half blooded saiyans. The argument can be said that Saiyans retaint their youth longer than humans to continue fighting. However, Gohan is seen aging normally until he turned 17 or 18. Now the argument can be made that, Saiyans age like humans until they reach adulthood. While this argument is fine in the case of Gohan, why is it that Trunks and Goten are not aging at all. You can say that this is some kind of recessive vs dominate gene debate, and it’s still extremely confusing as to why this would possibly make sense. Either way though, Goten and Trunks both, should have aged a bit during this period. Going back to Videl being pregnant with Pan, this would place this movie taking place at least 4 to 5 years before the beginning of the 28th martial arts tournament, depending on what time table you are following. Assuming that humans go through the natural pregnancy cycle in Dragonball Z, she is somewhere between 0 – 4 months as she has no sign of being pregnant at all. I am going to go back to the 25th martial arts tournament to obtain some ages. During this tournament, Trunks is eight years old, and Goten is seven. Add ten years to this age, and they would be eighteen and seventeen respectively. If Pan is three years old, then Battle of the Gods would take place when Goten and Trunks are Fourteen and Fifteen. Adding a year or two depending on what age Pan is. I’d like to assuming that Goten and Trunks would have at the very least, gotten taller, and Goten’s hairstyle would change somewhat to the one seen at the end of Dragonball Z.
- Bulla/Bra is NOT SEEN AT ALL.
This is tied to Videl’s pregnancy. Pan is clearly younger than Bulla at the end of Dragonball Z. If, Pan is conceived, then Bulla must be born. Bulma is NOT pregnant during this movie. If Pan is, at all, conceived inside of Videl’s womb, Bulla must either be about to be born or is born already. Another idea is that Pan is older than Bulla. While it may be true, Bulma should be pregnant at the very least to even begin to make sense with the end of Dragon Ball Z. Bulla’s age however, is subject to debate, since they have no “official” birthdate.
- Hercule does NOT KNOW who Dende is.
This is another minor reason. Hercule traveled with Dende when he was on Earth before Kid Buu destroyed Earth. He should know who Dende is.
- SSJ Mystic Gohan
This is neither confirmed, nor denied that Gohan can transform into a Super Saiyan while being “Mystic”. It has spawned thousands of debated between fans as to whether or not he can or cannot transform into a Super Saiyan while also being “mystic”.

Please DO NOT take this as I hated Battle of the Gods. As I really enjoyed to movie for what it was. I just refuse to accept it as canon, and I refuse to accept the placement of it in the series. Many people will debate me on this topic, and that is absolutely fine. Some may even point out other inconsistencies with the series and use that as some kind of “ammo” to make these points invalid. Some will quote that Toriyama said it was a part of official history of Dragon Ball. To that I say this, the video games, GT, figures, and movies, are a part of official Dragon Ball history. While I feel GT is also not canon to the series, I feel more like Battle of the Gods is the GT to the movies.

But to each their own.

Apr 2, 2014 8:44 PM

Aug 2013
I have no idea what to think... I don't like DBZ as much as I did a few months ago... the story is pretty terrible anyway, it's just good for the fights, really.
Apr 8, 2014 8:50 PM

Apr 2010
Well the movie is absolutely canon, there's no debating this.

The guy above explained what I would have said myself for the most part however Hercule was actually told Dende was a God already in DBZ so that was obviously forgotten.

Gohan could always turn Super Saiyan there was just never any need to do so after he got his Mystic Powers.

No the kids didn't seem to age but that kinda thing wasn't uncommon for Dragon Ball. Goku at 16 didn't look that much different from Goku age 12. Gohan age 10 didn't look that much different from Gohan age 4.

Goku killed Buu in Age 774. This movie takes place in Age 778. Pan was born Age 779. Bulla was born Age 780. The end of DBZ was Age 784.

Trunks and Goten would have been 12 and 11.
scababApr 16, 2014 6:00 AM
Apr 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Aug 2013
scabab said:

The guy above explained what I would have said myself for the most part however Hercule was actually told Dende was a God already in DBZ so that was obviously forgotten.

Gohan could always turn Super Saiyan there was just never any need to do so after he got his Mystic Powers.

No the kids didn't seem to age but that kinda thing wasn't uncommon for Dragon Ball. Goku at 16 didn't look that much different from Goku age 12. Gohan age 10 didn't look that much different from Gohan age 4.

Goku killed Buu in Age 774. This movie takes place in Age 778. Pan was born Age 789. Bulla was born Age 780. The end of DBZ was Age 784.

To add to what you have said Hercule most likely didn't remember Dende was Kami because he was drunk. In the extended footage of the movie there is a scene where we see that he was actually drunk and he challenged Bills to a fight.
Apr 20, 2014 1:52 PM

Mar 2012
DrGeroCreation said:
scabab said:

Goku killed Buu in Age 774. This movie takes place in Age 778. Pan was born Age 789. Bulla was born Age 780. The end of DBZ was Age 784.

To add to what you have said Hercule most likely didn't remember Dende was Kami because he was drunk. In the extended footage of the movie there is a scene where we see that he was actually drunk and he challenged Bills to a fight.

I always felt that because Battle of Gods is canon, the relations could at least be changed to have this movie be a sequel to both, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball Kai (2014) instead of a side story.
Apr 20, 2014 2:08 PM

Aug 2013
MikelAL93 said:
DrGeroCreation said:
scabab said:

I always felt that because Battle of Gods is canon, the relations could at least be changed to have this movie be a sequel to both, Dragon Ball Z, and Dragon Ball Kai (2014) instead of a side story.
It actually is a continuation not a side story considering it takes place 5 years after the Buu saga. I do wish though that the Dragon Ball series continued from this movie.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2013

202 by waalex11 »»
Sep 13, 2023 1:36 PM

» Q&A: I don't understand some things...

waalex11 - Jun 26, 2015

3 by MrFanatic »»
Aug 27, 2021 12:42 AM

» Is Toriyama ignoring GT?

Wolf_Xll - Sep 15, 2013

36 by VaskoKasko »»
Apr 14, 2019 2:45 AM

» Did Vegeta become better, or worse character by the Dragon Ball Z Movie 14: Kami to Kami movie? Since he first appeared, that is...

Kleferi - Mar 17, 2015

8 by Milennin »»
Jun 3, 2016 1:12 PM

» His name is Beerus.

ChairForceOne - Mar 9, 2015

5 by deg »»
Aug 15, 2015 12:13 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.