Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 28, 2014 2:23 PM
Sep 2011
I’ve seen lots of hate for various characters mostly Chisaki ,Kaname and Miuna but I’m wondering.. do these characters really deserve the hate they get?

Personally ,I don’t think they do but I’m not asking anyone to change their opinions nor I’m I forcing my opinions on others .After all people are free to hold on to their opinions and think what they like.

I don’t really hate characters in slice of life /romance shows unless it’s something like school days .The characters in Nagi no asukara are not immoral scumbags like the ones in the SD but that’s not a bad thing of course(school days succeeded because the characters were designed to be hated in the first place ) .But here the characters are just normal people who are struggling with life and growing up ,they are more like the characters in Toradora if anything. Everyone is sacrificing their happiness for the one they hold dear to them. I wouldn't say they’re selfish people like what many people say. Sure, Chisaki and Manaka are indecisive and can a bit annoying to some because they’re constantly running away from their feelings but at the same time I think that they’re very selfless in their actions .

Is it better to sacrifice your happiness for your best friends or be honest and act on your feelings despite your friend sharing those same feelings ? which one will destroy you more ? ..this is the question that applies to all the characters here .

Do you think that the hate that some of these characters get is justified ?
Mar 28, 2014 2:40 PM
Jan 2014
No, I don't think so, it's not justify to hate someone over something they can't control even if some of their actions might end up hurting someome else but I don't think it was intentional.
KillerBee721Mar 28, 2014 2:44 PM
Mar 28, 2014 2:45 PM

Jan 2013
I rarely hate a character because even if their actions are despicable, I can appreciate how they're written. Yes, Chisaki annoys me to no end, but I don't hate her because of how real she is. The script writer did a great job with capturing her personality.

So basically, I don't think any of them deserve it. I just don't understand hating characters. -shrug-
Mar 28, 2014 3:17 PM

Oct 2010
I can definitely understand the hate some characters get. Maybe they don't "deserve" to be hated, and perhaps the extent of the hate is sometimes excessive, but I can understand it nonetheless. I've hated on a few of the characters before, including Hikari, Kaname and Manaka. The former two died down because they finally showed some progression, Hikari isn't as hot-headed as he was in the beginning, and Kaname no longer has tunnel vision for Chisaki. I can't really comment on Manaka since she lost her ability to love, so I can't fully judge her character anymore.

My strong dislike for Chisaki however, is still very much there, because she's still the same indecisive coward. Sure she can sometimes be selfless but that's a common trait for all the characters so that point is negated in terms of a unique redeeming factor. Her character is agonizingly slow to progress, to the point where her stubbornness and indecisiveness is just tiresome. Add to that the fact that she's made several stupid and pointless decisions that only served to hurt those who cared the most for her, and yeah I just don't like her character at all. If she actually showed sufficient improvement my opinion of her would be much higher.

Obviously certain character traits annoy some more than others, or appeal to some more than others, and I can see the appeal of every character in the series. I can therefore also understand all the love certain characters get, including Chisaki. It's just that for me, her annoying habits stand out far more.
Madara31Mar 28, 2014 3:27 PM
Mar 29, 2014 10:42 AM
May 2012
Exactly. I don't hate any character and I don't think they deserve any hate because of the way the author has executed the character. All of the characters in this show are realistic, and I can imagine taking the same decision when I'm in their place, so for me, no, they're perfect in the sense that they're realistic.
Mar 30, 2014 10:26 AM

Sep 2011
Well I do get annoyed at some character sometimes for their actions and so, but I don't really hate them. I think all characters are realistic, and some people probably just want the characters to do something or think the same as they do. If they don't, they think that "why didn't she/he do this or that" and makes them dislike the character(s). Since we're the people watching it, we can't imagine ourselves in the situation that the characters are in, so I don't see a reason to dislike them. And everyone is different XD
And I probably didn't make any sense at all, but... whatever XD
Mar 30, 2014 12:00 PM

Jan 2011
No. I think the chain of emotion leading to action and reaction is actually somewhat realistic.
Mar 30, 2014 12:03 PM
Jul 2013
You can't hate Miuna anymore ever since she sacrificed herself
Mar 30, 2014 1:30 PM
Feb 2013
if the character said above get the hate, then i think the writer do some really good job here. nothing much.
Mar 30, 2014 1:57 PM

Nov 2009
I don't understand why characters are hated. True some characters for instance Hikari was hot headed at the beginning but that's just who he is and ever since he woke up, things have changed around him shocking him and this applies to everyone.

Every single one of our cast are very realistic and the emotions being delivered enhance this a lot. No one is perfect and that's why they suffer but its about the suffering they go through which enables them to move on and I think Nagi no Asukara does this very well with the character development.

It's the realism which makes this a very good show to watch so no characters should really be hated as that is how they are but Miuna is definitely the most concern after what happened in episode 25 so hoping for great ending.

Mar 30, 2014 7:57 PM
Jan 2010
It's like two sides of a coin.

Some people will hate certain characters while others really like them. I personally don't like Manaka and has liked Miuna from the beginning, but there are people who think otherwise. It's all a matter of opinion.
Apr 2, 2014 2:29 AM

Jan 2010
Apr 2, 2014 12:33 PM

Dec 2007
No, I actually am surprised to know that any of them are being hated on at all despite how well they are portrayed realistically.
Apr 2, 2014 12:43 PM

Sep 2008
I hate some characters.
Do they deserve to be hated?
I don't care if there are realistic, cool... etc.
I hate them.
Nothing will change it.

danyeye said:

That's why I hate her.
She saw how Hikari was hurt when Manaka was sacrificed.
Nice thing for Hikari, Manaka and rest character who have to life with awareness that Miuna sacrificed herself.
But please, don't tell me this was accident, and she don't really wanted to that.
LittleStarApr 2, 2014 12:48 PM
Apr 3, 2014 2:40 AM

Jul 2013
LittleStar said:
I hate some characters.
I hate them.
Nothing will change it.

danyeye said:

That's why I hate her.
Nice thing for Hikari, Manaka and rest character who have to life with awareness that Miuna sacrificed herself.
But please, don't tell me this was accident, and she don't really wanted to that.

Yes, because in the SPLIT SECOND that Miuna pushed Manaka out of harm's way she somehow had the presence of mind to think that she'll use this chance to make Hikari feel guilty..

The logic of some of these haters.. sometimes I wonder if you guys are actually retarded.
Apr 3, 2014 3:26 AM
Mar 2014
^ mad

Apr 3, 2014 4:05 AM

Jun 2008
I actually think this is the first time I dont hate anyone...since everyone had their reasons.
Hate for Kaname? c´mon poor guy he is always the third wheel.
And Chisaki? I would probably dislike her if she didnt admit her feelings for
but she did, although feeling guilty...and she has suffered so much for 5 years...being apart from her blood family, from her town and from her friends.
As for Miuna...I dont hate her either, she's been a good girl but obviously we know who Hikari will choose. Honestly Sayu annoys me much more than her....

ワンダーランド花 ♥

Apr 3, 2014 6:03 AM

Oct 2013
I'm another one who doesn't hate any of the characters in Nago no Asukara. Who wouldn't want to know a group so concerned for each other.

If I were not of great antiquity they would be a good influence on my own behavior.

As it is, I am still trapped in my Circle of Sin and have no business judging characters either real or imaginary.
Apr 3, 2014 6:10 AM

Jan 2011
jiraiya_sensei said:
LittleStar said:
I hate some characters.
I hate them.
Nothing will change it.

danyeye said:

That's why I hate her.

Yes, because in the SPLIT SECOND that Miuna pushed Manaka out of harm's way she somehow had the presence of mind to think that she'll use this chance to make Hikari feel guilty..

The logic of some of these haters.. sometimes I wonder if you guys are actually retarded.

Its a lose-lose situation for her really. Its Akari's fault with her retarded idea to become a sacrifice in the first place.
And the sea-god for being lolicon :D
Apr 3, 2014 9:13 AM

Jun 2011
I agree. Hate is a very strong word in my mind, and it's very difficult for me to attach that to individuals, both in real life and in fiction, because there's often some cause for everything. I might have preferred certain characters more than others, but in the end 'hate' really is out of the question. We tend too often to forget about the environmental factors which often force us to behave out of character.
'I met many people. We were separated. And then reunited. This tune contains all those feelings.'
- Nanaka Yatsushiro, Myself;Yourself, Episode 13

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2014

652 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.