Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Nov 27, 2023 1:57 AM

Apr 2017
The coffin symbolism is them refusing the grow up, and being shackled to the past. Utena stayed in the coffin because she couldn't get over the traumatic death of her parents. Once she got over that, and got a new goal, she was able to leave the coffin. Though as Saionji says, Utena is still in the coffin. The coffin of her school where she's doomed to continue looping her year, and refusing to grow up. All of the students there are trapped in a coffin.

I doubt Touga loves Utena. Touga seems fascinated that he can't have Utena. Unlike a lot of the other girls, Utena doesn't fawn over him, and she actively fights against him. Utena is unique, the main character, so he's fascinated. Though it isn't love.

Touga is still a red flag. He admires Akio. I doubt he wants Utena away from Akio, for the sake of Utena. It's just plain ole jealousy. He wishes that he could seduce someone like Utena, just like Akio is able to do. Touga finally recognizes that he can seduce the 'small fish' at his school, but he can't seduce Utena.

Akio saying that stuff about Utena being a better princess than prince, is basically him wanting her to be girly. Though deeper than that, he wants her to be straight. Akio seems angry when Utena enjoys being with Anthy. After he found out that Anthy and Utena seem to like each other, he makes it his mission to interfere with that. When Utena and Anthy are having a good conversation, he interrupts. "You don't mind me stealing Utena away, do you?" It's also guys not liking two women together, without them. He keeps trying to force a threesome, a harem.
May 21, 5:31 PM
Jan 2018
I guess everyone has their own relationship with this anime and how it affected them/affects them. I guess I'll share mine.

I never really got into Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura like that as a kid, and I'm only now watching Utena at 35 years old. But I find it fascinating how well told this story is and how relevant the themes of this anime are for me, even now.

I've always been attracted to women like Utena. Not in the sense of her being a kid, or the crossdressing thing. Moreso, her understanding that, this is what most women do and I'm going to do my own thing. Not in the girl boss type of way or figuring out you're actually a lesbian either. Just in the sense that I (Utena) fundamentally think differently from most women.

I still haven't figured out why I'm attracted to women like that, and I came to realization a couple years ago that women like that tend to be crazy, so I've been trying to reset myself so I can be attracted to "normal" boring women. It's been rough going, and seeing Utena's personality makes me understand a little bit better why I like women like her.

I guess when you naturally go against the rules of what people "should be" you seek your own level. Maybe. I'm only attracted to cis women over the age of twenty. I'm just a straight guy who happens to think differently from most people. Even people on this website.

I can't claim some kind of sexual awakening or relatability that comes from seeing character in same sex relationships.

But I find it so interesting that other people can attracted to women that think like Utena, especially since most guys judge almost solely by looks as far as a type.

I guess some the writers of this show may have had similar struggles to me as far being attracted to super rare women you almost never see. I wonder how this anime would have shaped my sense of attraction if I had watched it in that age range where stories become a permanent part of your psyche?

As far as the other stuff this anime goes for, I've been studying gender interdynamics for a very long time and have dabbled in research on gay and lesbian relationships as well. I don't really know enough to get all the gay and lesbian subtext, but Juri is pretty easy to figure out as character, even before they spell everything out for you.

So I'm not super impressed by seeing stuff I already learned about, HOWEVER, I am impressed an anime from 1997 was dealing with these kinds of topics and opening peoples eyes almost thirty years ago.

As far as the episode itself, Touga finally got to be with girl he loved. Without every changing up in being a scumbag lothario. I don't know if I should be happy for him or not, as Akio basically did everything Touga did better and at a higher level. In many ways, Touga is fairly redundant as a character.

He did put a much better fight this time tho. I like it when Utena has to earn her wins like in Star Driver.

The gay stuff in this anime is nowhere as over the top as it was in Gankutsuou, so it's a lot easier for me not to feel uncomfortable. But I took the shirts being off all the time to be an allegory about coming out of the closet. The coffin stuff too. I'm pretty sure this is the first time the anime clearly spelled out that Akio had sex with Touga.

We had the stylized scenes from before, plus all the shirtless stuff. But they made sure we could see Tougas boxers this time. Tougas favorite rapper must be Tupac the way Touga gets around. Also Saionji probably has some kind of feelings for Touga as well.

I like Utena more as a girl in love, because it works so much better for her narratively after all that time where she refused to give anyone other than Touga the time of day. Of course after this episode, all of that stuff is over with.

I also wanted to point out the extra effort they put into animation this episode. I hope they keep that same energy up for the entire finale. Bring back the Element song.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

95 by MonkeyShines »»
Sep 2, 10:07 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

68 by Allmibar »»
Aug 23, 6:13 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 )

52 by Mae_Mae_Online »»
Aug 23, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

removed-user - Mar 23, 2008

102 by DarkSunGuenievre »»
Aug 23, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

95 by Phobossus »»
Aug 23, 5:29 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.