Forum Settings
Forums

English dubs are only good on mature shows?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jul 13, 2013 10:45 AM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Objurgo said:
Which shows specifically would you say? I find myself preferring the FMA:B dub over the sub as an example. Elfen Lied also had a good dub in my opinion.
no elfen lied had pretty bad voice acting in both the sub and the dub and is proof that japanese voice acting is not perfect.

Why was the Japanese voice acting bad in elfen lied?
Jul 13, 2013 10:47 AM
Mar 2013
I like dubs in all genres. It's just what I prefer.
Jul 13, 2013 10:54 AM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
I'd say they have a better chance of being good for mature shows, but good dubs can be found for non-mature shows as well. With clever enough scriptwriting, dubs for ecchi/comedy anime like Yumeria, Magikano, Girls Bravo, Shuffle!, and Rosario + Vampire can come close to or outshine the originals. "Different from the Japanese" does not have to mean "worse," and the lexical richness of English offers it an advantage over Japanese humor. I will agree that dubs for purely "cute" anime can be more hit and miss, but again, it's not impossible to find decent ones.

re: voice pitches -- the possibility should be considered that Japanese VA voices in anime are artificially high, thus giving viewers a distorted view of what the characters are "supposed" to sound like. It's not like humans go through a second voice change at age 20 to bring their voices much lower than they were as teenagers. Though there are some genuinely cute voices out there -- actresses Carrie Savage and Monica Rial sound much the same IRL as many of their signature roles.

re: Death Note's dub being overdramatized -- oh please, the show itself creates a spectacle out of AWESOME WRITING, and the potato chip scene is nothing but one little liberty the dubbers took.

but you defend the Changing of names [ thus making it hard for Japanese fans of international HIts to carry a cnovosation about an anime with non Japanese Fan [ Dragonball Fanchise and Pocket monsters ofr example] sorry attack name chagnges are not so bad
but me being Japanese i would not bebale to talk pocket monster with any non Japanese person on MAL [ cuase of the Encyclopedia's worth of name Changes from Cahartcers to mon names to Town names to alot of other things
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jul 13, 2013 11:03 AM

Sep 2012
AndyRayy said:
waalex11 said:
It really all depends on the voice actors and the anime.
Despite what anyone can say about the multitude of both good dubs and bad that have been done, it all comes down to this.

I pretty much agree with you. But two other factors come in to voice acting as well.

1.) Good direction - If the director does not give two shits about making a quality anime and getting the actor to convey proper emotion and the script well, then its not going to sound as good, even if they have great actors.

2.) Writing - Once again, if its got terrible, corny writing, then it doesn't matter if the voice actors are good. The show is still going to sound stupid. I know its not an anime, but I'd point to Final Fantasy XIII for an example. They got some excellent voice actors, but were given a piss poor script. Not even people as talented as Ali Hillis and Troy Baker could make lines like "The heroes always win!" and "Worst birthday ever!" sound cool.

Jul 13, 2013 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:
Objurgo said:
Which shows specifically would you say? I find myself preferring the FMA:B dub over the sub as an example. Elfen Lied also had a good dub in my opinion.
no elfen lied had pretty bad voice acting in both the sub and the dub and is proof that japanese voice acting is not perfect.

To be honest I heard Elfen Lied had a bad English dub and a bad English sub. So I think I've heard that the Japanese voice acting was bad too.
Personally, I don't understand how someone could tell if acting in a different language is good or not.
Jul 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Oct 2012
Some people will like the dub and some people will dislike it ,so it's only a matter of opinion. I don't like and I don't watch dubs anyways.
Jul 13, 2013 2:20 PM

Feb 2013
I think English is not even the right language to voice certain anime characters. Japanese has a huge tonality variations I simply don't see in English. You need a more "clear" language with different tone variations, e.g. Italian, etc.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 13, 2013 2:23 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:
Objurgo said:

to be honest i have difficulties telling a good voice actor from bad voice actors in japanese but i have spoken to people who speak japanese and they say it is pretty bad
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 13, 2013 2:29 PM

Mar 2013
Eh, not for me. I prefer Dubbed over anything... Of course I watch subs and such, but not to an extent as I do dubs. I read and such, but when I watch TV/Shows, I prefer to just listen and watch, not read... and miss some of the action because I'm reading the subs.

I don't find much Anime shows where the dubs are complete shit. Sure at first when I watch an Anime I might see the flaws from dubs, but then as I go on I don't notice it anymore, and that's how it should be. It seems a lot of you people that hate dubs notice the mouth out of sync or whatever more than actually watching the show. Of course some voices don't fit the character whatsoever, but what can you do, you know...

I'll never understand nor will I care why you people hate dubbed so much, I mean it's your native tongue isn't it? So why hate on it, it's your own language? You can wish all you want that you want to be Japanese and/or want to learn Japanese so you don't have to read the subs, but the only one stopping yourself is you. So be less talk (I'm talking about the cliché dub vs sub topics I see everywhere) and actually do it.
Escape to the World of Anime is a great Facebook page. Different than the mainstream ones. Plus we are more of a community instead of a page that ignores its fans. Go check us out!
Jul 13, 2013 2:34 PM

Feb 2013
Snowburden said:

I'll never understand nor will I care why you people hate dubbed so much, I mean it's your native tongue isn't it? So why hate on it, it's your own language? You can wish all you want that you want to be Japanese and/or want to learn Japanese so you don't have to read the subs, but the only one stopping yourself is you. So be less talk (I'm talking about the cliché dub vs sub topics I see everywhere) and actually do it.

Most of the people here despise American dubs. Well, I live in England and, to be honest, I prefer BE over AE, but that's subjective. There are plenty of dubs in languages other than English, some are done really well.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Jul 13, 2013 2:36 PM

Mar 2013
Snowburden said:
Eh, not for me. I prefer Dubbed over anything... Of course I watch subs and such, but not to an extent as I do dubs. I read and such, but when I watch TV/Shows, I prefer to just listen and watch, not read... and miss some of the action because I'm reading the subs.

I don't find much Anime shows where the dubs are complete shit. Sure at first when I watch an Anime I might see the flaws from dubs, but then as I go on I don't notice it anymore, and that's how it should be. It seems a lot of you people that hate dubs notice the mouth out of sync or whatever more than actually watching the show. Of course some voices don't fit the character whatsoever, but what can you do, you know...

when you watch a show first the first language you hear it in will most likely be your prefered way of watching it from then on and you probably wont enjoy watching it in the other language because of how the characters dont sound like the characters you know and love. some people get this feeling after watching a show subbed and confuse it with the dub being bad. that is in my opinion why the majority of dub haters exist. they watch a few shows subbed then because there are differences between the dub and sub they hate those dubs and assume that all dubs are like that.
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Jul 13, 2013 2:41 PM

Oct 2010
Snowburden said:

From my experience, dub haters (especially those that post in topics like these that don't inspire any sub vs dub debate) are the most asinine, unintelligent users that I've had the displeasure of ever having come across. I take everything they say with a grain of salt.
Jul 13, 2013 2:45 PM

Mar 2013
spyrocoot said:
Snowburden said:

From my experience, dub haters (especially those that post in topics like these that don't inspire any sub vs dub debate) are the most asinine, unintelligent users that I've had the displeasure of ever having come across. I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

not only that but in my experience dub haters are the least likely to actually support the anime industry by buying dvds or using sites like crunchyroll (which is ironic that people who prefer dubs are more likely to watch anime on a sub only website than people who actually like subs)

Jul 13, 2013 2:51 PM

Dec 2012
Snowburden said:
I'll never understand nor will I care why you people hate dubbed so much, I mean it's your native tongue isn't it? So why hate on it, it's your own language?

It's not my native language but it being a native language for someone doesn't mean that person will not see how bad it is. Besides I don't think these dub haters also hate the English voice acting in games, animated movies ( stuff like Shrek etc) and American cartoon, I know I don't. So it's not really about hating the language in itself.
mattbenz99 said:
when you watch a show first the first language you hear it in will most likely be your prefered way of watching it from then on and you probably wont enjoy watching it in the other language because of how the characters dont sound like the characters you know and love. some people get this feeling after watching a show subbed and confuse it with the dub being bad. that is in my opinion why the majority of dub haters exist. they watch a few shows subbed then because there are differences between the dub and sub they hate those dubs and assume that all dubs are like that.

Lol nope, I watched many anime dubbed because I thought the Japanese voice were a bit annoying without giving them a chance. The moment I got seriously into anime and started watching subbed was the moment I realized how terrible the English dubs are. Stop making baseless assumptions please because logically speaking most people people will get into anime from the dub versions.
Jul 13, 2013 3:01 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
Snowburden said:
I'll never understand nor will I care why you people hate dubbed so much, I mean it's your native tongue isn't it? So why hate on it, it's your own language?

It's not my native language but it being a native language for someone doesn't mean that person will not see how bad it is. Besides I don't think these dub haters also hate the English voice acting in games, animated movies ( stuff like Shrek etc) and American cartoon, I know I don't. So it's not really about hating the language in itself.
mattbenz99 said:

Lol nope, I watched many anime dubbed because I thought the Japanese voice were a bit annoying without giving them a chance. The moment I got seriously into anime and started watching subbed was the moment I realized how terrible the English dubs are. Stop making baseless assumptions please because logically speaking most people people will get into anime from the dub versions.

what shows did you watch dubbed because i keep hearing about dubs are terrible over and over and i have no idea what people are talking about

Jul 13, 2013 3:08 PM

Nov 2010
Snowburden said:

First of all most people who watch only subs can see them in a split second and don't have to have their eyes glued to the bottom of the screen.

So you're reason for people to watch dubs is you eventually get used to the flaws? [For the bold], you can watch subbed anime, that's what you can do.

Who says you're hating on your own language if you don't want to watch dubs in it? That sounds pretty ignorant. It's about not liking English dubs, not the language. There are a lot of people who prefer to watch whatever foreign media, in it's own original language, that's not called hating your own. And some people see the language as not fitting or English dub actors sound bad, once again not hating your language. A lot of people on this site don't come from an English as a native language country. Their language might not have many dubs or have bad ones so they watch it subbed online, there's no reason to watch it dubbed. And wanting to become Japanese, are you really this stupid or are you joking.

And don't turn this into a subbed vs dubbed thread, we already have one of those. Look at the title and OP and post a response.

mattbenz99 said:
Or they really think dub actors sound bad. And that's not completely true, I started out watching dubs, even most of the shows that I watched dubbed when I first started, I now prefer subbed.
There's also the reason behind of what you're saying, that English subbed anime come out way faster, could be years faster than dubbed anime. And there's way more anime subbed than dubbed.
IntroverTurtleJul 13, 2013 3:14 PM
Jul 13, 2013 3:08 PM

May 2011
Red_Keys said:
HOTD's dub is fantastic.

But dubs sound extra terrible on ecchi "moe" shows because it becomes that much more apparent how unrealistically, immaturely, obnoxiously, and retarded the characters are behaving.

It breaks your suspension of disbelief faster, because it's easier to point out how unnatural it sounds and feels. It's easier to realize that they don't feel like real people.

It's not about voice acting, it's about the script. (And by script, I don't just mean dialogue, I mean everything. Like character behavior, motivation, maturity, etc).

That's actually a very legit point.
Jul 13, 2013 3:16 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Snowburden said:

First of all most people who watch only subs can see them in a split second and don't have to have their eyes glued to the bottom of the screen.

mattbenz99 said:
Or they really think dub actors sound bad. And that's not completely true, I started out watching dubs, even most of the shows that I watched dubbed when I first started, I now prefer subbed.
There's also the reason behind of what you're saying, that English subbed anime come out way faster, could be years faster than dubbed anime. And there's way more anime subbed than dubbed.

And don't turn this into a subbed vs dubbed thread, we already have one of those. Look at the title and OP and post a response.

you know what i am sick of people using subs come out faster as an excuse if i am going to watch trigun the dubs are already out. most people who argue for dubs arent talking about airing anime they are arguing that if a show has been out for a while and there is a dub that is good why not watch it in your own language and not be reading what you should be hearing.

Jul 13, 2013 3:25 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:
you know what i am sick of people using subs come out faster as an excuse if i am going to watch trigun the dubs are already out. most people who argue for dubs arent talking about airing anime they are arguing that if a show has been out for a while and there is a dub that is good why not watch it in your own language and not be reading what you should be hearing.
It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Yes maybe for Trigun, but if someone wanted to catch up to lets say One Piece, then they couldn't. Also a lot of people watch anime as it's airing, you can't do that with dubs like you've mentioned. Dub only watchers have to wait, sometimes indefinitely. Also you're missing the most anime aren't dubbed part, a way bigger selection are subbed and could be subbed. I asked someone this before but they never answered, what's the biggest gap between when an anime aired and when it was dubbed?

First of all a dub being good is opinion. And then why watch an anime dubbed when you can watch it subbed a year earlier as it's airing without missing the things that get taken out in a dub, then watch 50 other anime that aren't dubbed by the time the dub only watcher is able to get it.

And I see you're abandoning the what you watched first thing.
Jul 13, 2013 3:38 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mattbenz99 said:
It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Yes maybe for Trigun, but if someone wanted to catch up to lets say One Piece, then they couldn't. Also a lot of people watch anime as it's airing, you can't do that with dubs like you've mentioned. Dub only watchers have to wait, sometimes indefinitely. Also you're missing the most anime aren't dubbed part, a way bigger selection are subbed and could be subbed. I asked someone this before but they never answered, what's the oldest gap between when an anime aired and when it was dubbed?

First of all a dub being good is opinion. And then why watch an anime dubbed when you can watch it subbed a year earlier as it's airing without missing the things that get taken out in a dub, then watch 50 other anime that aren't dubbed by the time the dub only watcher is able to get it.

with airing anime you have to watch in japanese yes but that is not what dub watchers are arguing about. they are saying if you want to watch an older show that has already been dubbed. i was dub only for years and it was only around new years that i started watching both subs and dubs and i can tell you there are no shortage of shows that have already been dubbed. in fact depending on how fast you watch anime there are enough english dubbed anime out there to keep you busy for years as i did me. in fact the only reason i started watching subbed anime was because i kept being told by my friends "you have to watch this show." now i do watch more subs than dubs because i have gone completely legal and subs are more available for legal stream than dubs but i still watch dubs whenever i get the chance. mostly when i buy the dvds.

Jul 13, 2013 3:40 PM

Nov 2011
English dubs can be good for both 'deep' shows and comedies.

Although I'm rather ignorant on dubs, since I watch subs/raw whenever possible.
I prefer it to be in the original language(no matter what country the show/movie is from). I grew up on watching subbed shows from when I could read(2nd grade) to when I could understand English(5th/6th grade), so reading subs is like second-nature to me. English is also not my native tongue, and nothing gets dubbed in my native tongue(Dutch).

So I don't really understand why reading subs is a problem, but I suppose a preference is a preference.

Snowburden said:

You do realize not everybody on this is American/British, right?

You sound rather arrogant when you say such things.

mattbenz99 said:

not only that but in my experience dub haters are the least likely to actually support the anime industry by buying dvds or using sites like crunchyroll (which is ironic that people who prefer dubs are more likely to watch anime on a sub only website than people who actually like subs)

Thats a huge generalization, and you know it.
rederoinJul 13, 2013 3:44 PM

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jul 13, 2013 3:48 PM

May 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
All Englsih dubs are bad.

I call to the stand, Baccano!
Jul 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Mar 2013
Manglex said:
IntroverTurtle said:

exactly that dub is so good that in japan they started selling the dvds with the dub on it because many people prefered it over the japanese voices

Jul 13, 2013 3:51 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
exactly that dub is so good that in japan they started selling the dvds with the dub on it because many people prefered it over the japanese voices

Lol, source?
Jul 13, 2013 3:52 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:

Lol, source?

go buy the import and see for yourself

Jul 13, 2013 3:59 PM

Jul 2013
I generally prefer watching dubbed over subbed but it really depends on the quality. Some dubs are terrible (Fairy Tail's non-funimation dub) or just don't hold interest (Durarara!!!'s sequences about the Dolahan got me feeling a little bored) when compared to the sub. That being said the difference between the dubbing and subbing isn't much in most cases for me. The main two shows I'd say I much prefer the dub over the sub is Hellsing and Spice and Wolf. Hellsing for Alucard really (it's set in Britain too) and Spice and Wolf because they talk about regular trading life pretty much.

Tl;dr 90% of the time I prefer the dub but the difference is small in my personal preference. When I prefer the sub is when the dub can't keep me interested, when I prefer the dub much more is when it is dialog heavy but talking about relatively normal things or if it is set in a certain country (E.g. I could recognise lots of slang from Hellsing).
BBQ_ChickenJul 13, 2013 4:02 PM
Jul 13, 2013 4:01 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:

Lol, source?

Give me a link of something to confirm what you said..
Jul 13, 2013 4:01 PM

May 2012
mattbenz99 said:
Manglex said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Same thing with Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Panic dubs which are quite renown in Japan as being great.

(I'd also argue Fullmetal Alchemist)
Jul 13, 2013 4:07 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:

Lol, source?

Give me a link of something to confirm what you said..

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B002R0LRGW i guess the japanese amazon works

Jul 13, 2013 4:08 PM

Jun 2008
Red_Keys said:
HOTD's dub is fantastic.

But dubs sound extra terrible on ecchi "moe" shows because it becomes that much more apparent how unrealistically, immaturely, obnoxiously, and retarded the characters are behaving.

It breaks your suspension of disbelief faster, because it's easier to point out how unnatural it sounds and feels. It's easier to realize that they don't feel like real people.

It's not about voice acting, it's about the script. (And by script, I don't just mean dialogue, I mean everything. Like character behavior, motivation, maturity, etc).

Hmm....that makes a lot of sense actually.

I still loved K-ON! though.
Jul 13, 2013 4:09 PM

Mar 2013
SteampunkDalek said:
mattbenz99 said:
Manglex said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Same thing with Cowboy Bebop and Full Metal Panic dubs which are quite renown in Japan as being great.

(I'd also argue Fullmetal Alchemist)

from the random googling i just did hellsing/ hellsing ultimate should be on that list

Jul 13, 2013 4:15 PM

Nov 2011
mattbenz99 said:

That has nothing to do with the quality of the dub. on Amazon(JP) they sell most shows(that have dubs) with the dub included(Mushishi, elfen lied, Last exile etc..).

Jul 13, 2013 4:22 PM

Dec 2012
rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

That has nothing to do with the quality of the dub. on Amazon(JP) they sell most shows(that have dubs) with the dub included(Mushishi, elfen lied, Last exile etc..).

Yea I just Googled and a lot of shows has that...
Death note
Heaven lost
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B009DA725E
Jul 13, 2013 4:26 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:
with airing anime you have to watch in japanese yes but that is not what dub watchers are arguing about. they are saying if you want to watch an older show that has already been dubbed. i was dub only for years and it was only around new years that i started watching both subs and dubs and i can tell you there are no shortage of shows that have already been dubbed. in fact depending on how fast you watch anime there are enough english dubbed anime out there to keep you busy for years as i did me. in fact the only reason i started watching subbed anime was because i kept being told by my friends "you have to watch this show." now i do watch more subs than dubs because i have gone completely legal and subs are more available for legal stream than dubs but i still watch dubs whenever i get the chance. mostly when i buy the dvds.
So dub watchers aren't arguing about all anime? Only anime that are dubbed which is only small part. Face it, that's a con with only watching dubs.
There is a shortage, a steep one compared to the amount of anime subbed. I wouldn't have been able to watch the amount of anime I've watched subbed, dubbed. True or false?
Yes but you also watch quite slow. I had watched how many you've watched in about a year, maybe a little longer.
You're once again saying that it's more convenient to watch subs as they come out when it's airing. You're friends would be done talking about an anime by the time you watched it dubbed, if it ever did get dubbed.

rederoin said:
mattbenz99 said:

Yes I've heard it's because it's way cheaper to import from America than to buy it in Japan. That it became a problem, I believe some users on here were talking about it. Normal Japanese people reverse importing because of the big prices in Japan.
So it might not be that they liked the voices, but that it's just cheaper. After all, they are dual audio.
Jul 13, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2008
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes I've heard it's because it's way cheaper to import from America than to buy it in Japan.

Makes sense really.

Why spend $300+ on a 12 episode series when you can import it for $50 - $100

Saves a lot of money.
Jul 13, 2013 4:31 PM

Nov 2011
I've watched Demon King Daimao, both Japanese and English and the English was terrible.
Jul 13, 2013 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
IntroverTurtle said:
Yes I've heard it's because it's way cheaper to import from America than to buy it in Japan. That it became a problem, I believe some users on here were talking about it. Normal Japanese people reverse importing because of the big prices in Japan.
So it might not be that they liked the voices, but that it's just cheaper. After all, they are dual audio.

I just did some more looking around on Amazon.jp.

And Monster gets sold with The French dub and French/Dutch subtitles. Which makes it pretty obvious its imported from Belgium.
Its not like the Dutch subs have any usage to the Japanese.

Jul 13, 2013 4:37 PM
Mar 2013
Manglex said:
IntroverTurtle said:

Don't forget how awesome Ocean's dubs(besides Dragon Ball Z) are! Death Note and Black Lagoon are both amazing dubbed! They also did a good job on Shakugan no Shana(better then Funi that's for sure).
Jul 13, 2013 5:24 PM

Mar 2012
rederoin said:
IntroverTurtle said:

I just did some more looking around on Amazon.jp.

And Monster gets sold with The French dub and French/Dutch subtitles. Which makes it pretty obvious its imported from Belgium.
Its not like the Dutch subs have any usage to the Japanese.
Well, the English dub was never released on DVD in the US past the first collection despite the fact that they had already dubbed the entire show and aired it on TV. It's a real shame because the dub is fantastic. But what do I care?

figuette said:
The voices in the English dub of Golden Boy are so "retarded" that it makes the comedy in it much more enjoyable, I really don't care for the Japanese version of it.
In Japanese it's nothing more than a trashy ecchi comedy. In English, it's a trashy ecchi comedy masterpiece. The guy who voiced Kintaro quit voice acting because he didn't want to be faced with the challenge of topping that performance. And to be perfectly honest I can't blame him
SeibaaHomuJul 13, 2013 5:33 PM
Jul 13, 2013 5:34 PM

Aug 2011
There are tons of shows I enjoyed dubbed that aren't mature (Baka and Test, HOTD, Soul Eater). But this isn't about the topic.

The way I see it, mature anime in (English) dub generally sound better because the VA's don't have to alter their voices so much to get into character (since their characters are adults) so they act out their roles better without worrying about sounding like a high school boy/girl/moeblob. Same could be said about mature anime in Japanese.

Jul 13, 2013 7:41 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mattbenz99 said:
So dub watchers aren't arguing about all anime? Only anime that are dubbed which is only small part. Face it, that's a con with only watching dubs.
There is a shortage, a steep one compared to the amount of anime subbed. I wouldn't have been able to watch the amount of anime I've watched subbed, dubbed. True or false?
Yes but you also watch quite slow. I had watched how many you've watched in about a year, maybe a little longer.
You're once again saying that it's more convenient to watch subs as they come out when it's airing. You're friends would be done talking about an anime by the time you watched it dubbed, if it ever did get dubbed.

you cant compare everyone to yourself you watch anime at an ungodly rate i watched anime to sit down and enjoy it. it is harder to enjoy anime when you have to spend so much effort reading text at the bottom of the screen instead of just relaxing like you can with dubs. plus you were wrong about the hype dying down by the time sword art online gets dubbed because it is going to be on toonami so the hype is going to shoot right back up
mattbenz99Jul 13, 2013 7:45 PM

Jul 13, 2013 7:48 PM

Jan 2013
I'm not going to argue completely on "Dubs suck." I started out as a dub watcher and was a strict one too (meaning I only watched Dub) Then I started to watch sub and MAN that was a huge change. All in all, yes, Subs are 95% of time better than dubs, but there is many REALLY good dubs out there. For example (One Piece, Bleach, Yu Yu Hakusho, etc.)
Jul 13, 2013 7:49 PM

Aug 2012
I think it's fair to say that the only Anime that suffers from bad dubbing in North America is most Ecchi and most Sentai Filmworks dubs. I mean seriously, so many people listen to the dub trailers and go "MY EARS MY EARS" as if the dub trailer is meant to show off the dub at its absolute best in showing a few out of context clips which were probably not even used in the actual dub. Because of that, a lot of people like to see the dubs for K-ON! and Madoka as atrocities when I think it's fair to say they're on par with the Japanese version beyond the trailer (bar season 2 of K-ON!, that was rushed and poorly translated). It's different, but it's high quality. In a time where you just need a good mic and basic editing skills to make your own dub, do you really think that a professional company dedicated to Anime dubbing is bringing in randoms off the streets?

With that being said, there's plenty of great dubs for shows that aren't very mature. Cromartie High School and recently Panty & Stocking are the best examples I can think of.
Jul 13, 2013 7:53 PM

Mar 2013
ClowCardBristle said:
I think it's fair to say that the only Anime that suffers from bad dubbing in North America is most Ecchi and most Sentai Filmworks dubs. I mean seriously, so many people listen to the dub trailers and go "MY EARS MY EARS" as if the dub trailer is meant to show off the dub at its absolute best in showing a few out of context clips which were probably not even used in the actual dub. Because of that, a lot of people like to see the dubs for K-ON! and Madoka as atrocities when I think it's fair to say they're on par with the Japanese version beyond the trailer (bar season 2 of K-ON!, that was rushed and poorly translated). It's different, but it's high quality. In a time where you just need a good mic and basic editing skills to make your own dub, do you really think that a professional company dedicated to Anime dubbing is bringing in randoms off the streets?

With that being said, there's plenty of great dubs for shows that aren't very mature. Cromartie High School and recently Panty & Stocking are the best examples I can think of.

is panty and stockings good? i have recently went completely legal so if i were to watch that show i would need to go into a store and buy it. normally that is no problem but for a show with an name like that it can be a little embarrassing. so i want to know is it worth it?

Jul 13, 2013 7:57 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:

you cant compare everyone to yourself you watch anime at an ungodly rate i watched anime to sit down and enjoy it. it is harder to enjoy anime when you have to spend so much effort reading text at the bottom of the screen instead of just relaxing like you can with dubs.

rederoin said:
Although I'm rather ignorant on dubs, since I watch subs/raw whenever possible. I prefer it to be in the original language(no matter what country the show/movie is from). I grew up on watching subbed shows from when I could read(2nd grade) to when I could understand English(5th/6th grade), so reading subs is like second-nature to me. English is also not my native tongue

This basically the same for me. I find it ridiculous that someone can't keep up with subtitles or it takes them effort to read and focus on the anime and no it's not more relaxing with dub. I actually watch US movies/tv shows with English subtitles when I feel like it.
Jul 13, 2013 8:03 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:
you cant compare everyone to yourself you watch anime at an ungodly rate i watched anime to sit down and enjoy it. it is harder to enjoy anime when you have to spend so much effort reading text at the bottom of the screen instead of just relaxing like you can with dubs. plus you were wrong about the hype dying down by the time sword art online gets dubbed because it is going to be on toonami so the hype is going to shoot right back up
I don't watch it an an ungodly rate and the fact remains that I probably wouldn't be able to watch this much if I only watched dubbed, yet I still haven't watched 15% of all anime out there. It's harder for YOU to sit there and enjoy anime because you have to keep your eyes glued at the bottom of the screen(probably because you don't watch much subbed). I and other sub watchers have no problem, we barely even have to look at the subtitles, you can read a whole sentence at a glance at the bottom of your vision. And to me it isn't relaxing hearing English voices in anime, it doesn't fit and I don't like how they sound.
For Sword Art Online maybe not other anime, and it's still not going to be as big on MAL as it was when it first aired.
Jul 13, 2013 8:03 PM

Mar 2013
tsudecimo said:
mattbenz99 said:

you cant compare everyone to yourself you watch anime at an ungodly rate i watched anime to sit down and enjoy it. it is harder to enjoy anime when you have to spend so much effort reading text at the bottom of the screen instead of just relaxing like you can with dubs.

rederoin said:
Although I'm rather ignorant on dubs, since I watch subs/raw whenever possible. I prefer it to be in the original language(no matter what country the show/movie is from). I grew up on watching subbed shows from when I could read(2nd grade) to when I could understand English(5th/6th grade), so reading subs is like second-nature to me. English is also not my native tongue

This basically the same for me. I find it ridiculous that someone can't keep up with subtitles or it takes them effort to read and focus on the anime and no it's not more relaxing with dub. I actually watch US movies/tv shows with English subtitles when I feel like it.

i watch movies with subtitles on sometimes also but that is for if i dont hear a word or something or mishear something but i still depend on what i am hearing for anime they might as well be speaking gibberish and it will make the exact same amount of sense to me. it doesnt matter what you think anime was not made to be watched with subtitles it was made for people to watch and hear the dialogue. that is why most of the creators of show like dubs and sometimes participate in the creation of them.

Jul 13, 2013 8:05 PM

Nov 2010
mattbenz99 said:
i watch movies with subtitles on sometimes also but that is for if i dont hear a word or something or mishear something but i still depend on what i am hearing for anime they might as well be speaking gibberish and it will make the exact same amount of sense to me. it doesnt matter what you think anime was not made to be watched with subtitles it was made for people to watch and hear the dialogue. that is why most of the creators of show like dubs and sometimes participate in the creation of them.
Anime was not made to be watched in English except for a select few.
Jul 13, 2013 8:07 PM

Dec 2012
mattbenz99 said:
it doesnt matter what you think anime was not made to be watched with subtitles it was made for people to watch and hear the dialogue.

That's why I watch sub. Anyway this isn't really going anywhere.
Jul 13, 2013 8:08 PM

Mar 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
mattbenz99 said:
I don't watch it an an ungodly rate and the fact remains that I probably wouldn't be able to watch this much if I only watched dubbed, yet I still haven't watched 15% of all anime out there. It's harder for YOU to sit there and enjoy anime because you have to keep your eyes glued at the bottom of the screen(probably because you don't watch much subbed). I and other sub watchers have no problem, we barely even have to look at the subtitles, you can read a whole sentence at a glance at the bottom of your vision. And to me it isn't relaxing hearing English voices in anime, it doesn't fit and I don't like how they sound.
For Sword Art Online maybe not other anime, and it's still not going to be as big on MAL as it was when it first aired.

here is the difference between you and me i watch only legally obtained anime. i didnt always do this but i do it now. so i have to buy my anime or find it or crunchyroll like sites. i can never watch as many anime as you. so to me you watch at an ungodly rate because you are a pirate.

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What time in a day do you enjoy watching anime the most?

Rinrinka - 3 hours ago

24 by DarkShame2 »»
45 seconds ago

» Exploring Taste Shaming

-Indra - Yesterday

32 by PostMahouShoujo »»
6 minutes ago

» Have you ever used anime pick-up lines IRL?

Gashadokur0 - 6 minutes ago

0 by Gashadokur0 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » what is your stance on "i don't wanna watch that anime, the art style sucks" ? ( 1 2 )

ame - May 29

84 by PostMahouShoujo »»
9 minutes ago

» Good characters trapped in bad series.

Anjuro - May 29

37 by FZREMAKE »»
40 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.