Forum Settings
Forums

Do you see value in someone having a "different/unique" favorites list/3x3?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
6 hours ago

Jul 2015
Reply to thewiru
Pokitaru said:
Can't someone's taste be considered developed if they primarily enjoy popular titles?

“When you hear the sound of hooves, think horses, not zebras.”
We're talking about "rules of thumb" and first impressions, not hard sciences. For what we know, someone can have the most unique fave list ever simply because he never watched anything famous, but statistically speaking we assume that to not be the case.

Pokitaru said:
doesn't that reflect their taste as well?

It does, my point is that we're most likely to assume that if it is paired side-by-side with more "uncommon" favorites than if it is paired with other "safe picks".

Pokitaru said:
Moreover, why is there a need to "develop" one's taste away from popular genres and themes?

There is no "need", it's simply something that happens, same as having unique fingerprints.
At this point we're not even discussing anime anymore, but rather discussing the development of basic human individuality: To have watched a ton of anime, yet found nothing that you were able to "connect" more than the average viewer is far from impossible, but nonetheless quite rare.

I would never claim that there's anything "morally inferior" with being "fungible as a person", I just find people that aren't so way more interesting.

Pokitaru said:
Everyone has unique reasons for loving what they love, and those reasons are inherently valuable.

But can they explain those reasons? Are they aware of them?
Years ago I made a theory that "good and bad taste" aren't defined mainly by what someone likes, but rather how they can justify what they like of being worthy of their likeability: Such anime might be on MAL's top 100 or bottom 10.000, for all I care, as long as the person can adequately describe their goods and bads, I couldn't in my sound mind acuse them of having "bad taste".
You just assume that once someone gets to a certain level of "self-knowing", they would actively go out of their way to find things that SPECIFICALLY appeal to them deeper.

In that sense, we go back to the start: Yes, for all we know, such person might like "safe/normal" picks for the most "unsafe/abnormal" reasons imaginable and we wouldn't know unless we talked to them.
Hence why this is a "rule of thumb" and not a "law".

Edit: Come to think of it, this might be the reason for my logic: We call such picks "safe" because the person will never be asked to "justify them". Meanwhile, people with "unsafe picks" will most likely go through a "feedback loop" of being pressured into justifying their picks, which requires them to understand those as well as themselves better, which in turn makes them better at it.
So I would say that's the incidental correlation.
@thewiru

I find it easier to use rhetorical questions to express my thoughts clearly, so I'll continue with that approach. I want to clarify that I’m not trying to devalue your perspective. As I mentioned before, I do agree with you to a certain extent and I understand the basis of your thoughts on this topic. My main issue is that it's almost impossible to neatly categorize and label tastes, preferences, and development in this context (and maybe in general as well).

thewiru said:
But can they explain those reasons? Are they aware of them?

Why must there be an explanation for someone's preferences? And if there should be, why? Isn't it possible that people love those specific - and more popular - shows simply because they are genuinely good?

Regarding the idea of being "aware": Why would watching more popular shows imply a lack of awareness about one's preferences compared to watching less popular titles? Does it mean that those who favor mainstream shows are less self-aware about their choices? And if that’s your belief, what evidence supports this?

Also, when we talk about "developed" tastes, what exactly is development in this context? Is it merely the variety and obscurity of the choices, or is it the depth of understanding and connection one has with their preferences? Someone might have a list filled with mainstream anime because they connect deeply with those stories and characters. This connection can be just as profound as someone else's connection with niche titles. Popular doesn't automatically mean shallow, just as obscure doesn't automatically mean deep.

I don't see any real worth/point in assigning value based on someone's favorites list. Everyone has their unique tastes, and that's what makes our experiences and discussions so rich and diverse.

That said, I do see where you're coming from and to a certain degree, I agree with your view (as I aforementioned already). It's always interesting to see how different preferences can offer insights into someone's personality and experiences. A unique favorites list can indeed reflect a person's journey and the specific niches they've discovered. But at the end of the day, enjoying what you love, regardless of its popularity, is what truly matters. The value lies in our shared passion for anime and the connections we build through our discussions. It's not about whether someone's preferences are "developed" or not. It's about appreciating the variety and understanding that our tastes and picks are who they are, and don't need validation from others.

In the end, whether someone's list is filled with popular franchises or hidden gems, what matters most is the enthusiasm and sincerity behind their choices, not the reason/awareness behind them.
5 hours ago

Jul 2021
thewiru said:
Made in Abyss

You thought Made in Abyss is a safe pick, but you didn't account for me, who hates that show with a passion.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
3 hours ago

Jul 2021
Reply to Katou81
I put my favorite anime on my favorites list... people who put random garbage on their profiles are just pretending, you will never convince me that u actually believe Grisaia no Kajitsu is better than FMAB
@Katou81 I managed to watch an episode of Grisia but not of FMAB.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
2 hours ago

Apr 2020
What's value, when speaking of someone's fictional list of characters they enjoyed?

You might like someone better, if they like stuff that you deem "unique" or "different"
But that's as far as it goes, really.
44 minutes ago

Apr 2024
Does MAL have something different from the fav list that is called 3x3? Whenever I read 3x3 I have to think of the 1991 anime, but apparently you mean putting nine anime in a grid.

Can do.

I'm not in the habit of watching other people's favorite lists, but I guess if they have only the usual suspects they just haven't had the opportunity to watch a whole lot of anime.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» LOLI IS PEDO

Zakatsuki_ - 16 minutes ago

7 by Katou81 »»
2 minutes ago

» Did you guys know that the first animated X rated movies were an anime? Animerama movies

Phantomnocomics - Yesterday

9 by Ca309 »»
4 minutes ago

» I've been watching Anime since 2011, is it wrong for me to think the medium is a bunch of wasted potential?

anizawa89 - 28 minutes ago

5 by Katou81 »»
5 minutes ago

» To the people who have a mean score under 6 , are you happy?

Zakatsuki_ - 2 hours ago

17 by Zarutaku »»
6 minutes ago

» What is the best anime fight scene, writing-wise?

TierraRobada - 3 hours ago

8 by Nirinbo »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.