Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]
Oct 27, 2012 4:08 PM
Oct 2012
AirStyles said:
Toucanbird said:

I do think SAO is MILES better than Bleach and Naruto. It's not even close. SAO's biggest problem is they are sandwiching the content of four (I could be wrong on that number) LN's in one 24 episode anime. What's funny is they actually probably could stretch this anime out to Bleach or Naruto-esque lengths...and this would actually be an anime that might benefit from that.

First off.
Prove that SAO anime is miles better than Naruto anime. let's only take the first arc of each show and make a comparison. In short, Zabuza arc vs Aincard. Now, compare them. (or even compare by 17 current episode, or 24 episode when it ended)

I don't think Naruto would lose. Naruto actually had decent first 80 episodes.

2nd.
Sandwiching content? See if I care.
I rate the show that I'm "watching". I don't care what the source material is like, if the "anime" is done badly, the "anime" is bad.

Btw, just a reminder... This is SAO "Anime discussion" forum.

@xuezhi
Alright, lets take it back to the topic then

Is SAO another Naruto/Bleach in the making?

My opinion(strong opinon) is. Yes.

It is another average, yet stupidly popular anime.

They're all similar in having strong setting that attract masses in, even those that are unfamiliar with anime may get drawn by their settings alone.

Especially for Naruto(Ninja) and SAO(MMORPG)'s case.

The problem is that it didn't stop after those.
Oct 27, 2012 7:18 PM

Jun 2009
whatever123456 said:
AirStyles said:
Toucanbird said:

I do think SAO is MILES better than Bleach and Naruto. It's not even close. SAO's biggest problem is they are sandwiching the content of four (I could be wrong on that number) LN's in one 24 episode anime. What's funny is they actually probably could stretch this anime out to Bleach or Naruto-esque lengths...and this would actually be an anime that might benefit from that.

First off.
Prove that SAO anime is miles better than Naruto anime. let's only take the first arc of each show and make a comparison. In short, Zabuza arc vs Aincard. Now, compare them. (or even compare by 17 current episode, or 24 episode when it ended)

I don't think Naruto would lose. Naruto actually had decent first 80 episodes.

2nd.
Sandwiching content? See if I care.
I rate the show that I'm "watching". I don't care what the source material is like, if the "anime" is done badly, the "anime" is bad.

Btw, just a reminder... This is SAO "Anime discussion" forum.

@xuezhi
Alright, lets take it back to the topic then

They're all similar in having strong setting that attract masses in, even those that are unfamiliar with anime may get drawn by their settings alone.

The problem is that it didn't stop after those.

In other word.

Naruto at least remain consistent for 80 episodes, before they hit a wall and start to decline (Over a year and a half of good work)

While SAO is failing before it even reach 20 episodes.(less than 5 month and already collapsing)

What's the argument here?

Or should we wait till SAO finish airing all 24 episodes, and we'll compare it to the first 24 episodes of Naruto?
AirStylesOct 27, 2012 7:22 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2012 7:37 PM

Sep 2010

There's yet to be a large amount of filler like any of the big 3.
There's not going to be over 100 episodes of SAO.
SAO doesn't air in prime time nor has it broken any manga or light novel sales records
What the hell is making SAO another Naruto/Bleach.

"popular" is rather vague. Those anime have attracted an audience but the number of a views SAO draws is really high for a late night anime but drastically below the draw Naruto and Bleach had/have. And being "average" is not something that SAO is nor is it what Naruto or Bleach are, being "average" is a crappy subjective opinion on your part and can't be used as a similarity due to not being objective fact. If it were enough then any anime that was popular and that you thought as average would just like Naruto/Bleach. The deciding factor being whether or not you "no likey" something other people like is nonsense and retarded.

A strong setting...Is there any anime or story for that matter that doesn't have a strong setting? You might as well start saying that all three use swords. It's way to vague and common to be an actual similarity. And well people get drawn into all anime for their settings.

Especially what? The two are different and people that like MMORPGs are not necessarily inclined to be into ninja stuff.

You were never good with the compare and contrast game in school.

Oct 28, 2012 2:11 AM

Jun 2009
SAO - Another Naruto and Bleach in the Making?

No~

Unlike the big 3, which one set in fantasy world
SAO setting in ''our future society'' which is ''possible''
(These setting alone probably already attracted alot of people)
It doesn't have anything related to overwhelming villains or destruction of world like naruto or bleach

SAO first gave off survival anime ''aura'' but end up focusing on romance itself instead of fighting,
which is pretty understandable as it original from light novel
while bleach and naruto is a battle-anime series which focus on battle, fighting... and battle
well it from battle manga ~

SAO charactor does not have heavy background(like, 10 year ago, 20 year ago 1000year ago)
Naruto and bleach..... you know....... ~.~

basically, SAO have a setting of a battle anime while focusing more on romance
while naruto and bleach is, battle, power, fighting and battle
pretty original story line compared to other anime i watched

please take note

This threat is not about which one is better or which one is worst
This threat is also not about you like the anime or not(hater and fan)
so for the ''smarty'' who can read the title
and who like display their ''smart'' point of view of the anime
please go somewhere else
woshibushiOct 28, 2012 2:25 AM
Oct 28, 2012 8:49 AM

Sep 2011
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
waalex11 said:
not a mainstream like the big three,
but for sure going to be in the level of great anime like; Toradora! Death Note, etc.

SAO is already a mainstream.

Where?
It's sub-only and only available online outside of Japan.
That's not mainstream.

Mainstream isn't all about it has foreign dubs, or etc.
TennoujiOct 28, 2012 8:53 AM

Oct 28, 2012 9:26 AM

Sep 2010
Sa-chan_ said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
waalex11 said:
but for sure going to be in the level of great anime like; Toradora! Death Note, etc.

Where?
That's not mainstream.

Actually it is.

In regard to the reach and size of audience any anime has getting a foreign dub is part of a show being mainstream. The other part is getting on TV outside of Japan, which in most countries hinges on there being a dub.

Internet popularity among niche fans =/= mainstream.
Try using words that mean what you want them to mean.

Oct 28, 2012 12:48 PM

Jul 2012

But it's also popular with people from my school who aren't anime-lovers. :| Not just the internet.
Oct 28, 2012 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
waalex11 said:

Where?
That's not mainstream.

Actually it is.

In regard to the reach and size of audience any anime has getting a foreign dub is part of a show being mainstream. The other part is getting on TV outside of Japan, which in most countries hinges on there being a dub.

Mainstream means appealing to the masses. It is not dictated by foreign dubs.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 28, 2012 1:33 PM

Nov 2010
BloodRequiem said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
waalex11 said:

Where?
That's not mainstream.

Actually it is.

Isn't the masses also people out of Japan? So wouldn't dubs be crucial to becoming mainstream. Like all the shounens.
Oct 28, 2012 1:58 PM

Apr 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
BloodRequiem said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
Anime_Name said:
Sa-chan_ said:
waalex11 said:

Where?
That's not mainstream.

Actually it is.

Isn't the masses also people out of Japan? So wouldn't dubs be crucial to becoming mainstream. Like all the shounens.

Correlation does not imply causation.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Oct 28, 2012 2:02 PM

Sep 2011
BloodRequiem said:

This.

Oct 28, 2012 2:48 PM
Sep 2011
IntroverTurtle said:

^
Mainstream is popular and must have dvd/bd dubbed version available to foreign to purchase.

HibiChouchou said:

"Mainstream" just means something that is widely available, but people usually adopt a second part to that definition which is, popular.
Mainstreamis an anime series(mainly shounen) from the popular Shounen jump or any other action anime with over 200 episodes or so exposed to the public wheather on japanese or american tv or toy licensed based animes such as Yugioh,Pokemon,or Beyblade,for example,dinosaur king got to the point of being mainstream becausethey released a game for it on DS,and pretty soon Dinosaur king will be the next huge cash-in since Pokemon and Digimon

Bold part should be the case for someone lacks of knowledge not to be able understand the definition of mainstream.
Oct 28, 2012 3:00 PM

Jul 2012
Doubt SAO will be nearly as long or as "popular" as Naruto or Bleach. It's a good series but its not going to be another Naruto or Bleach. Its a good short anime (sub 30 episodes). Naruto and bleach are both long with tons of fillers so the two can't really be compared.

Oct 29, 2012 2:31 PM
Jun 2012
how can it be another naruto or bleach when it only has 20+ Episodes?
Oct 29, 2012 8:12 PM

Aug 2010
A good way to measure any anime's popularity is to look at how many haters it has. Any series that becomes too main stream will inevitably provoke a backlash because the hype raises expectations. Not sure about in Japan or anything like that but it seems like SAO-hate has all but displaced Naruto and Bleach from their special place in every MAL hater's heart. Right now in MAL at least, it is fair to say that SAO is attracting Naruto/Bleach levels of negative attention.
Oct 29, 2012 9:50 PM

Oct 2012
drinkbeer said:
how can it be another naruto or bleach when it only has 20+ Episodes?
That is why it has "in the making" in the title
Oct 29, 2012 10:44 PM

Sep 2010
BloodRequiem said:

Correlation does not imply causation.

Being dubbed and widely available(Televised outside of Japan and international physical releases) are simply prerequisites before anime can even achieve "mainstream" status for a Western audience. After those two have been fulfilled it then is a matter of size of the audience and if a show is watched by the general populace, not just fanatics and hobbyists. Arguing that SAO will or has attracted MMORPG players is implying that such people are not already into anime and as a person that has played a few dozen MMOs I can confidently say that speculation will fail miserably.

I'm sorry but just because a few thousand people stream a show and talk about it on anime centric websites doesn't mean a show is mainstream. This show has not attracted enough viewers in or out of the anime fandom to be mainstream.

SAO is still squarely in a subculture despite it being more popular than some would like.

Oct 30, 2012 7:48 PM

May 2011
I think SAO is awesome. You can check my list if you want I have watched plenty of other anime.

So whoever made that argument - it is invalid.
Oct 30, 2012 9:15 PM

Oct 2012
waalex11 said:

not the best examples I could find but hope you know what I mean.
I'm assuming its going to become the type of anime that is "the best more than average anime" that people easily recommend to others.

No doubt, I'm absolutely loving it, its really different and complete eye-candy with a compelling sad / romantic story in it with a lot of depth.
Oct 31, 2012 11:56 PM

May 2012
Naruto -
Manga since 1999
Anime since 2002
40+ video games
Around 10 theatrical movie releases.
Shown on TV worldwide.
Most popular and most favorites manga on MAL
Naruto ranked 4th (soon 3) most anime members.
Has like 20 characters with 1k+ favorites.
Naruto Shippudden most currently watching (106k)
Manga sales in jP 113 million.
It's the only anime along with DBZ and Pokemon that I could considered a worldwide household name
I'm not praising Naruto or anything. i'm just saying that i don't think SAO will ever reach those numbers.
Nov 1, 2012 6:40 AM
Sep 2012
Gahara_18 said:
Naruto -
Manga since 1999
Anime since 2002
40+ video games
Around 10 theatrical movie releases.
Shown on TV worldwide.
Most popular and most favorites manga on MAL
Naruto ranked 4th (soon 3) most anime members.
Has like 20 characters with 1k+ favorites.
Naruto Shippudden most currently watching (106k)
Manga sales in jP 113 million.
It's the only anime along with DBZ and Pokemon that I could considered a worldwide household name
I'm not praising Naruto or anything. i'm just saying that i don't think SAO will ever reach those numbers.

This right here, SAO may get big, but i seriously doubt it will ever get Big Three big, first off a good chunk of the popularity of these shows is that they are so god damn long and have been around for so many years(mind you they only got that long by having a dedicated fan base in their early years), SAO simply doesn't have the content, I'd say that they could pull a 50 ep like code geass out of it right now, but nowhere near the couple hundred of say, bleach or naruto.
Nov 1, 2012 6:45 AM
Jul 2012
you can only do the boy gets trapped in a video game thing for so long. I'm still curious as why he's in these other games after alo
Nov 1, 2012 7:27 AM

Aug 2009
JavierR said:
you can only do the boy gets trapped in a video game thing for so long. I'm still curious as why he's in these other games after alo

Money.I am not joking.
Nov 1, 2012 11:29 AM

Sep 2010
JavierR said:

No, it seems getting trapped in video games is the new rabbit hole/tornado of fantasy. It will continue to be used until someone makes a new tech to get stuck in.

Nov 1, 2012 11:34 AM
Mar 2012
Comparing an anime that doesn't even have 20 episodes to 300+ animes. Riiiiiiiiiiiight. We'll talk about that when it lasts for at least 100 episodes.
Nov 1, 2012 10:07 PM
Aug 2007
ssjokg said:
JavierR said:

Money.I am not joking.

Actually the continuity, was due to the popularity when the author threw it up as a web novel (Author notes of Vol.1 ), unless that generated some income as well. I do not know Japanese and lazy so I am not even going to bother researching stuff about where he hosted his web novel, to see whether or not it generated income.

Another thing most people do not know. SAO is a one-shot with about a 120pg limit that got publish as is with some minor edits. That is why the main Aincrad arc was so short and felt like "that is where it is should have ended." Well if you guys wait long enough (37 years going from Kawahara's joke) for SAOP to be done then we have a story of Aincrad with all floors up to 75.

Will SAO become the like next big 3?

short answer: maybe... but no.

Why maybe:
If we ever see SAOP animated with appropriate pacing. Otherwise the entire SAO story finishes with Alicization arc, which is vol. 9- vol. 15(16?). Even if they animate all volumes it would have at most 3 seasons. (1 season of Underworld please...)

The SAO anime will only catch the attention of LN readers + some new converts and move on. That is how I am seeing it. SAO will probably get maybe 1 or 2 more seasons if we are lucky. I do not care with how A1's adaptation is for now..., I just want to see it animated as a LN fan.

Now that I think of it the LN fanbase is actually pretty big in JP since that is where it really matters whether the studio/publishers decide to make another season or not. Compared to the other LN series(pre-anime) and even LNs that had an anime, SAO had a decent ranking before the anime aired. I haven't check the newest ranking after SAO aired but pretty sure the numbers did grow w/o a doubt. A new season would not be so far-fetched, yay.
MilesNov 1, 2012 10:15 PM
Nov 2, 2012 1:04 AM
Oct 2012
Miles said:
ssjokg said:
JavierR said:

Money.I am not joking.

Actually the continuity, was due to the popularity when the author threw it up as a web novel (Author notes of Vol.1 ), unless that generated some income as well. I do not know Japanese and lazy so I am not even going to bother researching stuff about where he hosted his web novel, to see whether or not it generated income.

Another thing most people do not know. SAO is a one-shot with about a 120pg limit that got publish as is with some minor edits. That is why the main Aincrad arc was so short and felt like "that is where it is should have ended." Well if you guys wait long enough (37 years going from Kawahara's joke) for SAOP to be done then we have a story of Aincrad with all floors up to 75.

Why maybe:
If we ever see SAOP animated with appropriate pacing. Otherwise the entire SAO story finishes with Alicization arc, which is vol. 9- vol. 15(16?). Even if they animate all volumes it would have at most 3 seasons. (1 season of Underworld please...)

The SAO anime will only catch the attention of LN readers + some new converts and move on. That is how I am seeing it. SAO will probably get maybe 1 or 2 more seasons if we are lucky. I do not care with how A1's adaptation is for now..., I just want to see it animated as a LN fan.

Now that I think of it the LN fanbase is actually pretty big in JP since that is where it really matters whether the studio/publishers decide to make another season or not. Compared to the other LN series(pre-anime) and even LNs that had an anime, SAO had a decent ranking before the anime aired. I haven't check the newest ranking after SAO aired but pretty sure the numbers did grow w/o a doubt. A new season would not be so far-fetched, yay.

I think he meant that Kirito's reason for playing other games is money.
Nov 2, 2012 2:31 AM

Aug 2009
whatever123456 said:
Miles said:
ssjokg said:
JavierR said:

Money.I am not joking.

Why maybe:

I think he meant that Kirito's reason for playing other games is money.

YEah.In the next 2 big arcs Kirito goes in the new games for the money.One as an "investigator" and the other as a tester.And he got well paid both times.Too bad the second job became a huge mess
Nov 2, 2012 2:52 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:

YEah.In the next 2 big arcs Kirito goes in the new games for the money.One as an "investigator" and the other as a tester.And he got well paid both times.Too bad the second job became a huge mess

dont you mean both jobs turned into a mess?

Nov 2, 2012 2:56 AM

Oct 2012
Zekken said:
ssjokg said:

Yeah, he has to make a living some how :P and I'm sure that his a renowned name for being skilled at these types of games by the end of the 2nd arc.
Nov 2, 2012 3:01 AM

Aug 2009
Zekken said:
ssjokg said:

But we went in GGO because it was a mess.It didnt become later.
Nov 2, 2012 3:06 AM
Nov 2010
SPOILER!!!!
Hi
Nov 2, 2012 3:15 AM

Aug 2009
zenitro said:
SPOILER!!!!
What Spoiler?GGO starts with the mess.And you dont expect SAO story to continue for all these vols with happy go llucky clearing of mmos.
Nov 2, 2012 3:17 AM

Sep 2012
ssjokg said:
Zekken said:
ssjokg said:

But we went in GGO because it was a mess.It didnt become later.

i meant that things were under control at first until

anyways enough spoilers now, we should be discussing this on the LN thread or something
Nov 2, 2012 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
The fact that the SAO anime plus novel is able to make such a hoo-ha of trolling magnitude in rage and debate only makes my interest in getting it on a complete bd/dvd set plus reading the novel in raw japanese.
Nov 2, 2012 4:40 PM

Sep 2009
ssjokg said:
zenitro said:
SPOILER!!!!
What Spoiler?GGO starts with the mess.And you dont expect SAO story to continue for all these vols with happy go llucky clearing of mmos.

Actually didn't the whole mess start in the prologue of the volume in the LN? I don't think the mess was there at the end of ALO, so it wasn't already "messy" in the first place in my view.

Or maybe you mean the reason Kirito went to GGO in the first place was because it was a mess there. If that is the case then you are correct and I misunderstood what you guys are saying.

Nov 2, 2012 6:49 PM

Aug 2009
xuezhi said:
ssjokg said:
zenitro said:
SPOILER!!!!

Actually didn't the whole mess start in the prologue of the volume in the LN? I don't think the mess was there at the end of ALO, so it wasn't already "messy" in the first place in my view.

Or maybe you mean the reason Kirito went to GGO in the first place was because it was a mess there. If that is the case then you are correct and I misunderstood what you guys are saying.

yeah I meant that in the start of phantom bullet it already is a mess.
Pages (10) « First ... « 8 9 [10]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1446 by kosarzek »»
1 hour ago

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

18 by Pyr4m1d »»
Yesterday, 7:11 AM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

74 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
Jun 4, 11:20 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2012

1269 by Hesmiyu »»
Jun 4, 7:15 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2012

544 by Kraum »»
May 26, 11:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.