Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »
Aug 2, 2009 5:13 PM

Sep 2007
ukonkivi said:

I really wish people wouldn't lie to me to try to get me to watch Umineko no Naku Koro ni. That was my major reason for giving this thing a go.

Dangit, I want more Higger.;_;
Umineko is completly unconnected to Higurashi. Other then the fact that it is kind of in the same metaverse.
Although, there is the possibility that Ryukishi07 MIGHT cross them over at some point. But it has yet to happen.

ukonkivi said:

If all that was, was some fourth wall breaking commentary, I am going to be awfully ticked.
That was not just some forth wall breaking commentary. It really wasn't breaking the forth wall at all. In fact, that single scene just set up the primary plot line for the entire rest of the series. :P
DrZedAug 2, 2009 5:17 PM
Aug 2, 2009 5:32 PM

Dec 2008
Zedrane said:
ukonkivi said:

I really wish people wouldn't lie to me to try to get me to watch Umineko no Naku Koro ni. That was my major reason for giving this thing a go.

Dangit, I want more Higger.;_;
Umineko is completly unconnected to Higurashi. Other then the fact that it is kind of in the same metaverse.
Although, there is the possibility that Ryukishi07 MIGHT cross them over at some point. But it has yet to happen.

ukonkivi said:

If all that was, was some fourth wall breaking commentary, I am going to be awfully ticked.
That was not just some forth wall breaking commentary. It really wasn't breaking the forth wall at all. In fact, that single scene just set up the primary plot line for the entire rest of the series. :P

In the game, they make so many small references to Higurashi that it's laughable. Not sure if this is going to happen, but one of the characters seemed to have a shirt that said "Tomitake Flash". Heh.
Aug 2, 2009 5:48 PM
Jul 2008
I always thought that the beginning Tea Party was a reference/parody of the original Wrap Party in Higurashi, where they discuss the outcome and speculate on the next game.

Of course, that's not what happened. So I think Battler (or all of them) were under some type of spell and Battler only broke through once the Beatrice topic came up.
Aug 2, 2009 5:58 PM

Jun 2009
I think that this show just won me over. Excellent episode
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Aug 2, 2009 6:45 PM

Sep 2007
titanguy654 said:

In the game, they make so many small references to Higurashi that it's laughable. Not sure if this is going to happen, but one of the characters seemed to have a shirt that said "Tomitake Flash". Heh.

Don't worry, any tiny reference to Higurashi will be included, and probably expanded on, by DEEN.
Aug 2, 2009 7:00 PM

Sep 2007
Actually, they already skipped one of the references to Higurashi.
Aug 2, 2009 7:03 PM

May 2008
Zedrane said:
Umineko is completly unconnected to Higurashi.

I've already heard that several times already.
Stop rubbing in the disappointment.:/

Y'all are gonna make me miss Higurashi no Naku Koro ni even worse.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Aug 2, 2009 7:04 PM

Sep 2007
Zedrane said:

Well, my post was mostly sarcastic, considering how much DEEN loves to whore out their first successful series. ;)
ukonkivi said:
Zedrane said:

It's not COMPLETELY unconnected to Higurashi. You find out why the events of Higurashi transpired in the first place later on in Umineko.
Aug 2, 2009 7:20 PM

Jun 2007
Foggle said:
Zedrane said:

Well, my post was mostly sarcastic, considering how much DEEN loves to whore out their first successful series. ;)
ukonkivi said:
Zedrane said:

It's not COMPLETELY unconnected to Higurashi. You find out why the events of Higurashi transpired in the first place later on in Umineko.

They've already explained that.
Aug 2, 2009 7:26 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:
Foggle said:
Zedrane said:

ukonkivi said:
Zedrane said:

Uh, not in the anime. That scenes not until Lambadelta comes into play.

P.S. "I'm... SUPER PAPER!" Hehehe. Hope they keep that line. :D
DrZedAug 2, 2009 7:31 PM
Aug 2, 2009 8:27 PM

Jun 2007
Zedrane said:
MarthX said:
Foggle said:
Zedrane said:

ukonkivi said:
Zedrane said:

Uh, not in the anime. That scenes not until Lambadelta comes into play.

P.S. "I'm... SUPER PAPER!" Hehehe. Hope they keep that line. :D

They've already had the discussion about Bern's endurance battle against Lambdadelta and how she only won because Lambda got tired of it. The next party just talks about it a little more. When episode 1 was released, game players already connected the dots that Lambdadelta equals 34.
LunarEmeraldAug 2, 2009 8:31 PM
Aug 2, 2009 8:40 PM

Sep 2007
MarthX said:

They've already had the discussion about Bern's endurance battle against Lambdadelta and how she only won because Lambda got tired of it. The next party just talks about it a little more. When episode 1 was released, game players already connected the dots that Lambdadelta equals 34.

I guess. But it doesn't become perfectly clear until Lambadelta's talk with Bern-sama.
Aug 2, 2009 10:22 PM

Jul 2008
Wait...how does Lambdadelta equal 34?
Aug 2, 2009 10:39 PM

Apr 2007
GarLogan78 said:
Wait...how does Lambdadelta equal 34?

Lambda = 3
Delta = 4

Aug 3, 2009 2:04 AM

Apr 2009
Is this somehow possible to understand if I haven't played the game? XD I'm confused. But I like it :D
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 3, 2009 2:14 AM

Jun 2007
Cenedess said:
Is this somehow possible to understand if I haven't played the game? XD I'm confused. But I like it :D

It's supposed to be confusing right now. You'd just be slightly less confused if you finished the first game.
Aug 3, 2009 2:54 AM

Apr 2009
MarthX said:
Cenedess said:

It's supposed to be confusing right now. You'd just be slightly less confused if you finished the first game.

Nah, I realise it's an anime that dosn't give you all the answers right away. So I don't even try thinking about it, I just watch and wait for the plot to become clear :D
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Aug 3, 2009 3:11 AM

Jun 2007
More information. Stuff that was left out in the anime

After the clock strikes midnight and the screen goes to black, there's an end roll.

Here's the full end roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQcI0NYKG50

Text only version

In the visual novel you see the word "Purgatorio" before the tea party starts (scene where everyone is alive again and discusses how they met a bad end etc)

That's the extra bit of info the game has, that might make it less confusing.
Aug 3, 2009 6:55 AM

Jul 2009
Battler, Beatrice...

A boy who explains everything with human tricks...

A women who explains every thing with her magic...

A meeting that was never meant to happen.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear ist the fear of the unknown.

H.P. Lovecraft
Aug 3, 2009 7:03 AM

Jan 2009
at first 20 minutes:"only this D8 ? where's mai bomb ?"
after a couple minutes:"ohh bern-sama :D"

figures to new story :D
Aug 3, 2009 7:40 AM

May 2009
I'm sorry, my English skill is poor.
Aug 3, 2009 7:54 AM

Sep 2007
inusarukiji1 said:

Then you might not like Bern!
Aug 3, 2009 8:10 AM

Jan 2009
I'm pretty confused... but Rika! Or sorta like Rika. Definitely the same voice actress.
Aug 3, 2009 10:33 AM

Oct 2008
Great episode and the pacing was key to this!
Reading all of these posts in the forum, helped me in understanding it a lot. xD
Like the whole 'purgatory' thingie and what not.
I root for Battler to try and figure out how a human could commit these murders.
Aug 3, 2009 11:32 AM

Jun 2008
lol what the hell, we're now dealing with a bunch of ghosts? I don't know but I think I finally got interested for once.
Aug 3, 2009 6:25 PM

May 2008
inusarukiji1 said:

And so is your taste...

I couldn't resist. It was just begging me to say it.
It would've bugged me all day if I didn't.

Aug 3, 2009 8:43 PM
Aug 2009
BakaOnna said:
Zedrane said:
Bern's VN model actually has boobs. For some reason they took them away in the anime and made her completely flat chested. :/

Well, Maria also did as well. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be. Then again, it's Ryuukishi's art we're talking about here.

Loved this episode. Great pacing, great voice acting, great music and use of bgms and it just felt really good.

Anyway, preview for II-I: http://umineko.tv/web/main/onair/index.html

WTF

did i just see Marisa, Reimu, Sakuya, Aya, and Alice in that preview??

what the hell do they have to do with umineko ? o.O
Aug 3, 2009 9:03 PM

Jun 2007
Battler being defiant until the end and apparently 'demoned away'. Bernkastel appears, but no red wine? :)
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Aug 3, 2009 9:50 PM

Jun 2007
Khmal said:
BakaOnna said:
Zedrane said:
Bern's VN model actually has boobs. For some reason they took them away in the anime and made her completely flat chested. :/

Well, Maria also did as well. I'm pretty sure that's not how it's supposed to be. Then again, it's Ryuukishi's art we're talking about here.

Loved this episode. Great pacing, great voice acting, great music and use of bgms and it just felt really good.

Anyway, preview for II-I: http://umineko.tv/web/main/onair/index.html

WTF

did i just see Marisa, Reimu, Sakuya, Aya, and Alice in that preview??

what the hell do they have to do with umineko ? o.O

Subbed version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiLPYgNghD4
Aug 4, 2009 12:26 PM

Jul 2009
Great Episode
Aug 4, 2009 2:25 PM

Apr 2008
I think I have an idea of the whole thing:

This is getting good! On a side note, no matter how elegant and awesome she is,

I refuse to accept the witch. :~P
Aug 4, 2009 4:31 PM

May 2008
Japayuki said:
I'm pretty confused... but Rika! Or sorta like Rika. Definitely the same voice actress.

My hypothesis:

Anyway, that's just my theory.

Aug 4, 2009 6:07 PM

Jul 2008
Zedrane said:

Lol.

Aug 5, 2009 2:27 AM

Feb 2008
That was awesome.
Aug 5, 2009 3:47 AM

Jul 2009
wow...i have completely no idea what the posts above are talking about...lol, guess i came to the wrong thread (umineko ep5?)
Aug 5, 2009 5:33 AM

Nov 2008
Lol, it's because at the end of the episode a character appears (the witch Bernkastel) that has already been seen in another anime before: Higurashi no Nakukoro ni.

Aug 5, 2009 5:52 AM
Oct 2007
This makes no sense for me as I haven't played the game or read the manga, but whatever. I like the series. As long as it's clear at the end of the anime, I guess that's OK. But still, atm it makes no sense to me.

Well, I have my own ideas about how it works, but I can't be sure of those untill it's been confirmed, eh. ;P
Aug 5, 2009 4:31 PM

May 2009
A good episode very interesting so loving this anime. Bernkastel appearance was great <3 I have been waiting on her for a while.

One of the best moments of the episode was Bern's smile.
Aug 6, 2009 10:06 AM

Apr 2007
Oh look. How nice that the official Umineko site is giving the anime-watchers info on the characters' time of death.

http://umineko.tv/web/main/teaparty/ep1.html
Aug 6, 2009 5:10 PM

Nov 2007
I don`t get it
Aug 8, 2009 4:33 PM

May 2008
This is confusing like crazy! So, is Battler dead and in some weird realm created by the witch? Or is he alive and just in an illusion? And what about it stating the case was never solved, then the message in the bottle which Maria worte which contained the truth?

And this is based on a video game? Same title? Cause after reading the first couple pages it seems most of the posters have played the game, read the manga, or saw some other anime that had some of the characters. But for someone like me who started watching it cause of one of the users on my friend list is watching it and it catching my eye, this is nothing but confusing and the posts on the first couple pages don't help much at all.
(Almost) 13 years on MAL!
()__()
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Aug 8, 2009 5:53 PM

Sep 2007
mangastar said:
This is confusing like crazy! So, is Battler dead and in some weird realm created by the witch? Or is he alive and just in an illusion? And what about it stating the case was never solved, then the message in the bottle which Maria worte which contained the truth?

And this is based on a video game? Same title? Cause after reading the first couple pages it seems most of the posters have played the game, read the manga, or saw some other anime that had some of the characters. But for someone like me who started watching it cause of one of the users on my friend list is watching it and it catching my eye, this is nothing but confusing and the posts on the first couple pages don't help much at all.

Umineko will be confusing as hell for this entire season. In fact it gets around ten times more confusing. The next season will clear out all of the confusion.

Yes, Umineko is based off of a Sound Novel of the same title. A very good one might I add. There is also a manga but it is actually behind the anime. And there is an anime that comes before it in the same metaverse called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni but you do not have to watch it first since nothing at all carries over from it into Umineko.
Aug 8, 2009 10:27 PM

Aug 2008
Man this is a good "wat" episode and ill have to rewatch it, that and play the game hopefully it will shed some light on just what is happening

Aug 9, 2009 2:47 PM

Jun 2007
Additional information off the anime site.

Aug 9, 2009 3:44 PM

Oct 2007
Beatrice is smoking hot.

That is all ^_^

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Aug 9, 2009 5:02 PM

Sep 2007
Ooooooooooooooooooooooooh, that's nice MarthX. That covers the end roll and shows that those scenes took place in the Meta World.
Aug 11, 2009 7:35 AM

Jun 2007
http://sarcasmpodcast.libsyn.com/index.php?post_id=514076
My podcast about this episode.
Check out my podcast here
Aug 11, 2009 4:11 PM

Oct 2008
The prime minister finally has a match.. Battler is possibly the most stubborn person in the world, his existence annoys me a great deal. Not just that the guy refuses to accept reality, he comes up with a bunch of excuses which makes no sense to argue it off. Not believing in witches, causing the deaths of his loved ones over a non-sensical challenge of belief. Battler is the worst!! I got to say.. I hate Battler.

Aug 11, 2009 4:52 PM

Nov 2007
Kira01 said:
The prime minister finally has a match.. Battler is possibly the most stubborn person in the world, his existence annoys me a great deal. Not just that the guy refuses to accept reality, he comes up with a bunch of excuses which makes no sense to argue it off. Not believing in witches, causing the deaths of his loved ones over a non-sensical challenge of belief. Battler is the worst!! I got to say.. I hate Battler.

OBJECTION! This... I dunno... you´re kinda right^^
Aug 12, 2009 3:00 AM

Nov 2007
I like Battler. I´m excited whether he´s able to win against the witch and prove that Phoenix Wright is his bro.
Pages (11) « First ... « 7 8 [9] 10 11 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

LunarEmerald - Oct 14, 2009

169 by alenaphoenix »»
Sep 10, 10:42 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

LunarEmerald - Sep 9, 2009

236 by alenaphoenix »»
Sep 9, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Umineko no Naku Koro ni Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Plate - Aug 19, 2009

338 by akuma-ka-sareta »»
Jul 23, 11:01 AM

» What is this and why do people say this is a sequel to Higurashi?

Asudox - Nov 26, 2023

12 by miblan »»
Jan 18, 5:07 AM

» Googled a bit Umineko... A lot of people want another adaptation.

Uburero - Dec 9, 2023

6 by miblan »»
Jan 9, 3:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.