Forum Settings
Forums

Subtitled/Subbed or English Dubbed anime (aka Subs vs. Dubs v2)

New
Pages (176) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »
Aug 31, 2011 6:36 AM
Mar 2011
Deffinitely subs! =) Japanese language is just too awesome, hate english dubs!
Aug 31, 2011 6:46 AM

Aug 2011
Subs, mainly 'cause portuguese dubs suck donkey nuts.

The only good one was Shaman King.
Aug 31, 2011 11:40 AM
Jul 2011
I recently got Netflix and started watching the anime series on it and I have a better appreciation for Dubs since I can look away and not worry about missing a whole paragraph of dialogue
Aug 31, 2011 12:02 PM

Sep 2010
HAL5 said:
I recently got Netflix and started watching the anime series on it and I have a better appreciation for Dubs since I can look away and not worry about missing a whole paragraph of dialogue

There is this function called pause that let's anyone look away from a video for any amount of time and not worry about missing a beat.

Aug 31, 2011 12:39 PM

Jun 2008
Anime_Name said:
HAL5 said:

There is this function called pause that let's anyone look away from a video for any amount of time and not worry about missing a beat.

It also, you know, pauses it. People who are multitasking generally don't want to stop and start the show every other minute.
Sep 1, 2011 3:25 PM

May 2011
if a anime has no dub i watch sub if anime has dub i watch dub

my equation ;)
please make my breakfast every morning for me sweet cheeks! *bowling position"
Sep 2, 2011 8:30 PM

Aug 2007
Redfoxoffire said:
Anime_Name said:
HAL5 said:

It also, you know, pauses it. People who are multitasking generally don't want to stop and start the show every other minute.

People who are multitasking while "watching" an anime are not actually watching it.
Sep 2, 2011 9:52 PM

Jun 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Anime_Name said:
HAL5 said:

People who are multitasking while "watching" an anime are not actually watching it.

You underestimate the ability to multitask. Depending on the action, it's very easy to multitask while watching anime. I've done it myself. And don't be too quick to assume where most of the focus is; often enough it's more like 80% on the anime and 20% on the other thing. A good way to manage time for people with a lot of things to do.
Sep 2, 2011 9:57 PM

Apr 2011
I watch subs because I want to hear Japanese people talk :P
Sep 2, 2011 10:00 PM
Mar 2011
being japanese as i am

mmy exxplaosre to both of these ideas cames when in study abrod so using my native speaking to say what gives better Tranlations of the script Subs wins

for non japanese speakers stick to subs
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Sep 3, 2011 1:56 AM

May 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:

That’s simply not true. I can multitask while watching anime (I can sew, fold clothes, exercise, cook/bake, eat etc. while watching anime.) Sometimes, I do just put on a series for background noise; however, that's quite rare.
Sep 3, 2011 5:57 AM
Jan 2010
i prefer subtitles whenever i watch a dubbed series it just feels all wrong, the only reason i will watch a dub is if i can't find the subbed version
Sep 3, 2011 6:23 AM

Mar 2011
I've watched series dubbed, usually because I gave up on finding them subbed, and some have been well done (For example Code Geass) and others badly (S-CRY-ED, Infinite Ryvius). In the case of S-CRY-ED though, I found the subbed just as bad, and in the end, I liked the voices for how they were.

I prefer subs, because I think that they are on average much better in quality. In Japan there is a whole industry around Seiyuu, and so there will be many good voice actors, that actually care about how well they do. In some dubs I got the feeling they just didn't care as much. Also, a lot gets lost in translation.
Sep 3, 2011 9:23 AM

Aug 2007
Sora_N said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

That’s simply not true. I can multitask while watching anime (I can sew, fold clothes, exercise, cook/bake, eat etc. while watching anime.) Sometimes, I do just put on a series for background noise; however, that's quite rare.

That sounds more like listening to anime than actually watching it.
Sep 3, 2011 9:50 AM
Jul 2018
Drunk_Samurai said:
Sora_N said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I agree with Drunken_Samurai to a certain extent, but I can't help but wonder-

"Why stop there?"

Rather than watch anime in video form, I pause and study each individual frame before moving in to the next one.

I worry that if I don't do this, I may miss out on some important details, such as minor differences in the colouring or characters that are drawn off model.

Similarly, I listen to the audio tracks in slow motion, five times over, to make sure I don't miss anything.

One of the plus sides to this system is that I can appreciate every intricate detail in the anime I watch to really get the best out of it.

Theres only one, small downside I can think of, which is that anime doesn't seem quite as fun when you treat it like an academic textbook, rather than as a source of entertainment.

Anyway, I demand that Sora_N removes all the anime she watched while 'multi-tasking' because not only is this not really 'watching it', it's obviously really important and a really big deal for everyone.

This is anime we're talking about here; there is no margin for error!
Sep 3, 2011 1:02 PM

Nov 2009
I prefer sub over dub, reason why is because I hate most of the crappy english voice acting. There are a couple of shows that I prefer to watch in dub, like DBZ or anything from my childhood, other than that sub is so much better.

Sep 3, 2011 1:48 PM

Aug 2007
AnnoKano said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
Sora_N said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

I agree with Drunken_Samurai to a certain extent, but I can't help but wonder-

"Why stop there?"

Rather than watch anime in video form, I pause and study each individual frame before moving in to the next one.

I worry that if I don't do this, I may miss out on some important details, such as minor differences in the colouring or characters that are drawn off model.

Similarly, I listen to the audio tracks in slow motion, five times over, to make sure I don't miss anything.

One of the plus sides to this system is that I can appreciate every intricate detail in the anime I watch to really get the best out of it.

Theres only one, small downside I can think of, which is that anime doesn't seem quite as fun when you treat it like an academic textbook, rather than as a source of entertainment.

Anyway, I demand that Sora_N removes all the anime she watched while 'multi-tasking' because not only is this not really 'watching it', it's obviously really important and a really big deal for everyone.

This is anime we're talking about here; there is no margin for error!

Because of anime my visual observation has improved by a lot. Seriously. I caught a really really bad animation when it was only on for a split second. I'll upload the screenshot I took later.
Sep 3, 2011 4:58 PM

Aug 2010
Sub without a doubt. Anime is originally Japanese. And plus I think they sound much better then the dubs. Although there are some dubs I like such as Dragon Ball Z.
Sep 3, 2011 5:22 PM

Feb 2010
About multitasking:

I have never donw it with anime, but for years I've "listened" dozens of movies, series and shows on TV, because it was on the opposite side of the room than my pc. I've done it while surfing on the net, playing games and other activities. Works just fine to a certain degree.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 3, 2011 6:08 PM

Apr 2011
Subs and Dubs are both translations so it really boils down to the voice acting casts.
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Sep 4, 2011 11:26 AM

Aug 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
I prefer subs, because I think that they are on average much better in quality. In Japan there is a whole industry around Seiyuu, and so there will be many good voice actors, that actually care about how well they do. In some dubs I got the feeling they just didn't care as much. Also, a lot gets lost in translation.

I too prefer subbed for the same reason; however, there are a few anime that I actually prefer to the dubbed... "Cowboy Bebop", "Ghost Stories" and "Black Lagoon." The are a few more, but I can't recall them atm.
Sep 4, 2011 12:43 PM

May 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:

Not for me. Maybe you can’t watch anime while doing simple things; however, I can. I watch anime (that means looking at my TV screen) while I exercise, eat, sew etc. Sorry if you just don’t get it.

AnnoKano said:

Oh by the way I ONLY multitask with anime series I have already watched (AKA re-watching) and never with a new series I have never watched. Just an FYI.
Sep 4, 2011 12:46 PM

Aug 2010
The point I'm at now I watch whatever format Netflix decides to put the anime. Usually if I don't know if an Anime will be have good VA work then I just don't take the chance and watch it sub. Though there's some that I will only watch dubbed.

Cowboy Bebop and Black Lagoon are one that I will never watch subbed because the dubs are so amazing. Balalaika in Black Lagoon may very well be the best dub work I've ever heard honestly.
Sep 4, 2011 12:49 PM

Jul 2011
Depending on how well the translation goes, having it dubbed actually lets a nonjapanese watcher understand the situation better. There are a lot of things that some people will understand because of cultural differences. I can deal with both dubbed and undubbed. But I noticed that some translations for subtitles are too raw, which of course loses the meaning sometimes.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Sep 4, 2011 2:36 PM

Aug 2007
Sora_N said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Not for me. Maybe you can’t watch anime while doing simple things; however, I can. I watch anime (that means looking at my TV screen) while I exercise, eat, sew etc. Sorry if you just don’t get it.

AnnoKano said:

Oh by the way I ONLY multitask with anime series I have already watched (AKA re-watching) and never with a new series I have never watched. Just an FYI.

You can sew without looking at what you are sewing? Also that depends on what you are eating. Try that with soup without spilling any. A sandwich would be easy.
Sep 4, 2011 5:18 PM

Aug 2011
Dub.... Don't hate me because I like it lol. Japanese voices irritate me for some reason.
Sep 4, 2011 5:27 PM
Sep 2011
subs, mainly because the emotion in the characters voices don't seem right in English. In Japanese, it sounds more accurate.

there are a few shows that do really well with dubbing, but honestly, i'll watch a series in whatever language i hear it in first, because that's what the character now sounds like to me.

although, there are exceptions, which is why i usually watch with subs. most series don't get dubbed very quickly, and there are a LOT more available with subs.
Sep 4, 2011 5:41 PM
Aug 2011
I can only watch subs >.> If I try to watch a dub the voice acting tends to make me want to beat my head off a wall >.< Take Blood+ for example. Subbed:She sounds like a confident yet F' the world kind of girl. Dubbed: Whiny little girl >:O
Sep 4, 2011 7:31 PM

Jun 2011
Leonard93 said:
In my opinion is sub usually (not always), better than dubs.
Why?

Cause its the original voices made by the same studio as the producer of the acutal animations, and it feels less like an anime to me if i hear english voices.

Hearing japanese voices (and enjoying it), is part of watching anime, just like how the artstyle is different from western cartoons.
Its a part of anime that shouldnt be altered.
Sep 4, 2011 8:52 PM

May 2011
Drunk_Samurai said:
You can sew without looking at what you are sewing? Also that depends on what you are eating. Try that with soup without spilling any. A sandwich would be easy.

Yes, I sure can. I have been sewing for YEARS. I only have to glance back down every once in awhile (oh and I hand sew.)

As far as eating goes – it’s easy for me to ‘look’ at the TV screen while eating. I guess it just depends on the person. I have never had a problem eating soups, cereal, ice cream etc. while watching TV in general.
Sep 23, 2011 11:51 PM
Sep 2011
taintedgalaxies said:
Leonard93 said:
Hearing japanese voices (and enjoying it), is part of watching anime, just like how the artstyle is different from western cartoons.
Its a part of anime that shouldnt be altered.

This is a little true, if not for the fact that there are anime with western cartoon art styles. The most prominent example; Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt.

taintedgalaxies said:
Leonard93 said:
Cause its the original voices made by the same studio as the producer of the acutal animations, and it feels less like an anime to me if i hear English voices.

One of the common things about any media, is that, most of the time, it is localized. Like books. With an extremely successful story, it is translated in multiple languages. Or video games, which some are produced in Germany, like Crysis, but get translated to different languages for sale across the world. A bit off topic, but it allows me to get to my point. Most people enjoy these things, regardless of the original language it was created in, because it is made more accessible. I'm not saying dubs are better and subs are worse, but in the end, it's essentially about how the story is passed around.

On a different note, my preference is based on the amount of emotion transmitted by the seiyuu/VA. I almost prefer Higurashi completely subbed, if not for the very first scene, where in the dub, the semi screams and grunts frightened me. Or Clannad, where for some reason, I would start bawling when it was dubbed, but only feel slightly sad reading subs. Even to this day, whenever I rewatch Clannad, I tear up a lot. Of course, emotion is more easily broadcast in ones native language. And some characters have the perfect VAs. In my opinion, Crispin Freeman is Kyon. As is Vic Mignogna as Edward Elric, and Aaron Dismuke as Alphonse Elric. Another great example of good dubs are the Ghibli films. I hate Disney with a passion, but they make some great dubs. Hell, Christian Bale plays Howl! Or like Steam Boy, where they brought VAs with British accents. Patrick Stewart even plays one character. That screams epic to me. But subs make up half the series I love, like School Days, Toradora, Elfen Lied, and Dennou Coil.

Damn. Pretty big first post, for the forums I've traveled.
EDIT: For me, at least.
ErybisSep 24, 2011 12:04 AM
Sep 24, 2011 1:22 AM

Sep 2011
I prefer subs over dubs. The biggest reason is my love of foreign languages. When I watch a movie (which is rarely), chances are it's in a foreign language. If I'm reading a book that was originally written in a different language, I'll try to get my hands on a dual-language copy if possible. A lot of the music I listen to isn't in English. So it's not just anime or Japanese that I do this with, it's everything.

Another reason I prefer subs over dubs is because I like to be as close to the original as possible. I know some things won't make sense to a Western audience, but after 9 years of watching anime I've learned quite a bit about Japanese culture, history, etc., and when I come across something I don't understand, I like learning about it. Dubs sometimes change or omit these things, so I miss out on a chance to learn. I know, I'm a loser. OTL

Also, my hearing isn't the best, so I usually end up turning on subtitles anyway.
Sep 24, 2011 2:08 AM

Jul 2010
Doesn't really matter to me what it's in, I mainly watch anime with Japanese voice acting now because i've taken a few classes and it's helpful to learn the language but if I were to try and watch an anime I saw growing up on Toonami now in japanese, I bet it wouldn't seem right to me.

Truth is i'd probably favor whichever language I'd watch an anime in first and wouldn't switch unless I was desperate to hear the differences. Such as Gurren Lagann; I watched it first in english and love it so even though I watched the movies in Japanese I still prefer to watch the series in english. Plus James Price who does the english VA for the Spiral King has one of the most badass voices ever haha.
Sep 24, 2011 3:36 AM

Aug 2011
Depends which version of the anime I seen first really, if I seen the dub first the original Japanese voices sound wrong to me, though I do try and watch most anime now in Jalanese with the subs.
Sep 24, 2011 6:54 AM

Sep 2009
Subbed vs dubbed seems to be a lot about listener's culture. Here (in Finland) everything is subbed unless the target audience is considered to be less than seven-year-olds. So when I stumble upon people who prefer those lousy dubs my thoughts are almost always something along lines "fucking illiterate retards" and "How can you stand that rape-of-art?".
Sep 24, 2011 9:00 AM

Jul 2011
Subs. Simply because japanese voices suit better with anime...
and I hate dubbed things xD, for me dubs are for kids
Sep 24, 2011 10:57 AM

Oct 2009
For me it depends in which language I start watching the anime, when I hear other voices after that, it sounds wierd to me.

I usually watch anime's in japanese, I find the english voices usually monotone while the japanese voices have so much more emotion in them [especially when they're sad/angry :P]
Sep 24, 2011 3:33 PM

Jun 2009
IDex said:
So when I stumble upon people who prefer those lousy dubs my thoughts are almost always something along lines "fucking illiterate retards" and "How can you stand that rape-of-art?".

Shyk1 said:
I hate dubbed things xD, for me dubs are for kids

you two sure are respectful aren't you?
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta
Sep 24, 2011 4:42 PM

Jun 2008
Lordcrab86 said:
IDex said:
So when I stumble upon people who prefer those lousy dubs my thoughts are almost always something along lines "fucking illiterate retards" and "How can you stand that rape-of-art?".

Shyk1 said:

In context IDex's is probably reasonable. No saving Shyk1, though.
Sep 24, 2011 6:30 PM

Jul 2010
I prefer subbed, and not just for anime. Whenever I visit France for holidays and watch a movie, it's really painful to hear Samuel L. Jackson (random example) speak in some odd French voice and it destroys the film for me. I prefer the original voice acting with any kind of media, no matter what the original language is. And you might actually end up learning some foreign vocabulary (I spoke English at age 12 because of subbed cartoons for example).
Sep 26, 2011 2:00 AM

Sep 2009
Redfoxoffire said:
Lordcrab86 said:
IDex said:

Shyk1 said:

See the bolded? That means I keep it to myself most of the time. THAT if anything is respectful.
Sep 26, 2011 6:59 AM

Nov 2010
I like both dubs and subs. In general I prefer to watch dubs, but it really depends on the show. Some shows have better dubs than subs, and others better subs than dubs.
Sep 26, 2011 10:11 AM

Jun 2008
IDex said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Lordcrab86 said:
IDex said:

Shyk1 said:

See the bolded? That means I keep it to myself most of the time. THAT if anything is respectful.

You realize I was defending you, right? Either way, you posted here, so what you do "most of the time" is irrelevant.
Sep 26, 2011 4:20 PM

Aug 2011
I am a huge dub fan and only have ever seen one season in subs "Yuru Yuri" I really enjoyed it and am planning on watching another subbed anime as my next show. I prefer dubs if they are already out and have the complete set. But I am going to start watching subbed shows in October every week.
Sep 26, 2011 4:28 PM

Jan 2011
I like subs sooo much better. I just think the Japanese VAs do a much better job at getting their emotions across. I tried dubs a few times but the voices really annoyed me and their screams and laughs and overall everything they say sounds really forced.
Sep 26, 2011 4:38 PM

Jul 2011
Subbed, prefer the original dialogue. + the majority of dubs are done by very talented apathetic actors.
Sep 26, 2011 6:49 PM

Sep 2011
Subbed because like most have said, it's the original dialouge and it's way better than dubs. Though I watched some dubs in the past, most of them are very meh for the most part.
Sep 28, 2011 8:27 AM

Jun 2010
Sub.
Tell the victims to kill eachother.
Sep 28, 2011 11:24 AM

Mar 2011
Subs. I simply can't stand the dubs. I'd prefer to learn japanese myself rather than watching a dub. I'm so grateful for all the sub groups out there!
Sep 28, 2011 12:28 PM

Jun 2007
Mithzor said:
I'm so grateful for all the sub groups out there!
...because it's not like there aren't official subs for the Japanese version that accompanies almost every dub out there?

Everything that connects to MAL

Contains Ecchi, but not Tagged Ecchi: Part 1 || Part 2 || Part 3

Pages (176) « First ... « 6 7 [8] 9 10 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Did Shikanoko save comedy anime?

Catalano - Sep 21

35 by Archean-Return »»
1 minute ago

» What anime would be better if it killed off its main character in order for the secondary main character to shine?

Catalano - 26 minutes ago

5 by Serafos »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you care more about Art or Entertainment?

zaganGao - Yesterday

26 by pk8list »»
13 minutes ago

» Who is the most attractive anime character?

Rally- - Sep 26

35 by DesuMaiden »»
17 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

121 by Cestlavie_ »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.