Forum Settings
Forums

[Update 11/10] Final Features Restored & API Development Update

New
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Sep 29, 2018 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
azulakina said:

This is indeed sad but the fact remains that fansubbers are not exactly taking money that should be going to studios.

What I am getting is that fansubbing is like game modding where some people prefer to get modded games. And the game modder benefits from that but this doesn't mean that game modding is directly hurting game industry.

The fact that someone chooses to play a modded game doesn't mean the game modder "stealing" from the game developers.

I must respectfully disagree with your statement.

By voluntarily modding a game, you are:

1. Downloading a copy of the game
    2. Modding the game
    3. Redistributing the game as a modded product

This very definition of piracy is "the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work". With this in mind, of course game modders are "stealing" from developers. I am not denying that many people may prefer a modded version of a game, but developers are very open about how much harm piracy and modding does to them.

azulakina said:
Fansubbing is *not* a low-cost activity. For one you need to learn enough Japanese to watch raw anime then subtitles are not just translations, you have to express emotions e.t.c - basically, a lot of stuff. At the same time, your English needs to be up to the task(I doubt they're so many Japanese folks who speak "cool" English as I do)

The bottom line is, it's not exactly a low cost activity.

I think you have missed the point.

Of course it takes a lot of time and effort to learn Japanese. However, translators are almost always native Japanese speakers, falsifying your argument. The biggest cost of fansubbing anime is paying the translators, subtitlers, and proof-readers. Heck, even professional video-editing software costs a good amount these days (although some are available for free but do not offer the versatility as Premiere or Cyberstudio etc).
removed-userSep 29, 2018 1:40 AM
Sep 29, 2018 1:48 AM

Feb 2018
changelog said:

2. Modding the game

This very definition of piracy is "the unauthorized use or reproduction of another's work". With this in mind, of course game modders are "stealing" from developers. I am not denying that many people may prefer a modded version of a game, but developers are very open about how much harm piracy and modding does to them.

Okay, I will not directly comment on fansubs as I don't know enough about them.

I can say this though, if the game publishers do not allow for modding, the only legal way to mod is to distribute your patch without the game, which I doubt could ever work since I don't think a mod could be so popular.

If I was to apply this to anime, it would mean that fansubs just distribute the subtitle files.

Also, try inserting message number when you qoute, makes your post look a lot better. Or, maybe not.
awesomenettleSep 29, 2018 1:51 AM
Talk is cheap, show me the code.

Almost is not good enough.
Sep 29, 2018 1:49 AM
Jul 2018
azulakina said:
changelog said:

2. Modding the game

Okay, I will not directly comment on fansubs as I don't know enough about them.

I can say this though, if the game publishers do not allow for modding, the only legal way to mod is to distribute your patch without the game, which I doubt could ever work since I don't think a mod could be so popular.

If I was to apply this to anime, it would mean that fansubs just distribute the subtitle files.

But that doesn't happen at all. No one wants to get a subtitle file because they would need to download the anime along with it, which would be a lot of hassle and take up a lot of storage. The only logistical way to do this is for fansubbers to upload their anime onto streaming websites, which is already happening.
Sep 29, 2018 1:54 AM

Feb 2018
changelog said:

But that doesn't happen at all. No one wants to get a subtitle file because they would need to download the anime along with it, which would be a lot of hassle and take up a lot of storage. The only logistical way to do this is for fansubbers to upload their anime onto streaming websites, which is already happening.

Okay, which means that fansubs/fansubbers consciously engage in illegal activity.

To hell with fansubs, then.

So, well, it could be assumed that anime from bootlegging sites is subbed by fansubbers?
awesomenettleSep 29, 2018 2:03 AM

Sep 29, 2018 2:38 AM

Feb 2018
There wasn't money to lose to fansubs because the animes with fansubs are ones only officially released in Japan. Beats me as to why CR, Funi, etc. refuse to get more kids shows which angers me.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Sep 29, 2018 3:54 AM

Feb 2018
DragonKnightGX said:

There wasn't money to lose to fansubs because the animes with fansubs are ones only officially released in Japan. Beats me as to why CR, Funi, etc. refuse to get more kids shows which angers me.

Okay.

Now that this is update 9/28 - looks like we'll be waiting for API to be back into a functional state for quite some time.

I mean, when do we get to update 28 if we're at update 9 right now?

Sep 29, 2018 4:26 AM

Apr 2013
azulakina said:
DragonKnightGX said:

Okay.

Now that this is update 9/28 - looks like we'll be waiting for API to be back into a functional state for quite some time.

I mean, when do we get to update 28 if we're at update 9 right now?

Was that an attempt to be funny or did you really misread that line?
Sep 29, 2018 4:58 AM

Feb 2018
Zefyris said:

Nope, more like a genuine question - if we're having update 9/28 which means we have 19 more updates before MAL is fully back up.

The only item that's not fully back is API - I mean, I do not know whether MAL had a functional API before(as I have never used it) but it looks like what we'll be waiting for the next 19 updates.

Sep 29, 2018 5:05 AM

Feb 2018
Uh, 9/28 means September 28 and not 9 out of 28.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Sep 29, 2018 5:25 AM

Feb 2018
DragonKnightGX said:
Uh, 9/28 means September 28 and not 9 out of 28.

Oooh, cool.

Sep 29, 2018 6:56 AM

Jan 2012
myanimelistllc said:
As part of ongoing efforts to support the anime and manga industry, the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed.
I knew it. This place is becoming worse by the day. Removal of a feature is never a good thing. And using "to support the industry" as an excuse is a really scummy thing to do.

The only valid excuse is that the feature was a troll magnet, but then so are the reviews - you should take those away too then.

...Now excuse me while I go on a piracy binge to make up for my annoyance.
Sep 29, 2018 8:08 AM

Feb 2018
They're catering to seasonal anime watchers that have never watched any kids shows.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Sep 29, 2018 8:50 AM

Feb 2018
For what it's worth

DragonKnightGX said:

They're catering to seasonal anime watchers that have never watched any kids shows.

I am not a hardcore anime fan but I do routinely watch anime for fun. I'm mostly just not used to watching anything.

Nyaa said:

I knew it. This place is becoming worse by the day. Removal of a feature is never a good thing. And using "to support the industry" as an excuse is a really scummy thing to do.

The only valid excuse is that the feature was a troll magnet, but then so are the reviews - you should take those away too then.

...Now excuse me while I go on a piracy binge to make up for my annoyance.

I'll make sure to pay for any anime I watch from now henceforth.

Though, as of now, I can't afford to be paying for anything let alone anime.

Sep 29, 2018 12:19 PM

Mar 2016
azulakina said:
Zefyris said:

Nope, more like a genuine question - if we're having update 9/28 which means we have 19 more updates before MAL is fully back up.

The only item that's not fully back is API - I mean, I do not know whether MAL had a functional API before(as I have never used it) but it looks like what we'll be waiting for the next 19 updates.

My dude...
Sep 29, 2018 12:23 PM
Aug 2017
MAL, a community created by it's users, that cares more about it's corporate sponsorship dollars.

I'm really sad to see the fansub section gone. That was over a decade of user-accumulated information, expunged for senseless reasons. At the very least, make a dump of the info available for download, so another more qualified service can carry the torch seeing how MAL is unwilling to do so. That's the final nail in the coffin for me. Goodbye.
Sep 29, 2018 12:29 PM
May 2014
What about the android app?
Sep 29, 2018 3:09 PM

May 2009
now that the fansubs section is gone I will stop downloading anime.
Sep 29, 2018 4:10 PM

Feb 2010
straykid said:

I know, right? This says it all right here.

Really wish we could upvote posts; don't need a downvote system btw
Sep 29, 2018 8:29 PM
Jan 2018
Please make a way to search through the past seasons/the archive on the MAL app!
Sep 30, 2018 3:22 AM
Oct 2017
Is the app going to work again?
Sep 30, 2018 6:46 AM
Jul 2018
animeknight99 said:
Is the app going to work again?

Hopefully it will eventually, I think we all know that MAL is slow on these kinds of things.

I was really annoyed when MAL went down, too, because the day before the crash I had literally bought a new S9 to replace my old iPhone 6—and I was hoping that I would be able to download and try out the new MAL app.... NOPE!
Sep 30, 2018 7:50 AM

Oct 2008
myanimelistllc said:
Dear Users,

Thank you for using MyAnimeList.

We have continued to solve potential concerns with the new ToU internally while continuing work on establishing it’s creation. We have also completed listing out all of the remaining development tasks, and begun development of the said tasks, with the development of login authentication being mostly completed.

Thank you for your patience, understanding, and continued support of MyAnimeList.
It is its, and not it's with apostrophe.

Once again, 部屋の象。 The list of objectives should disclose. 僕たちと個人的に話し合う。No business talk.

astrogonza said:
When these issues will be solved, will the development of the official mobile app continue? It has been a long time since the last update and it's a shame, in my opinion, since it was going in the right direction
Unfortunate. The discussion from the company is off-point. Wanting continuing development of application, as well.
Sep 30, 2018 7:46 PM

Feb 2018
straykid said:

That's not exactly the point. The main idea is just to make a point to support the anime industry not to make a silly resolution to stay away from bootleg and torrent sites.

Also, for those who care, my English is not exactly broken, it's more or less a way of being cool.
awesomenettleSep 30, 2018 11:10 PM

Oct 1, 2018 12:07 AM
Feb 2018
YES! YES! YES!
Oct 1, 2018 1:05 AM

Feb 2018
azulakina said:
straykid said:

That's not exactly the point. The main idea is just to make a point to support the anime industry not to make a silly resolution to stay away from bootleg and torrent sites.

What do you even mean?
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 1, 2018 1:48 AM

Feb 2018
DragonKnightGX said:

What do you even mean?

It's more or less like an open relationship where you can cheat or not. No-one is "forcing" you to do something.

DeadlyQueen77 said:
YES! YES! YES!

Yesh, babe.

Oct 1, 2018 10:22 AM

Aug 2014
Lunilah said:
What is so bad about fansubs?

So, if a show is licensed and people watch it fansubbed instead of paying to watch it with official subs or a dub, the company won't get any money, nor will the original creators or animators.

However, I totally think fansubs should be fine for shows that are unlicensed or have shaudy official subs. Sadly, the law tends to have general rules, not specific ones.
Oct 1, 2018 10:49 AM

Feb 2018
Louis-the-Otaku said:

However, I totally think fansubs should be fine for shows that are unlicensed or have shaudy official subs.

Finally, someone who understands.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 1, 2018 11:06 AM

Feb 2018
Louis-the-Otaku said:

So, if a show is licensed and people watch it fansubbed instead of paying to watch it with official subs or a dub, the company won't get any money, nor will the original creators or animators.

What about a case where I even have a CR or Hulu or other subscription that allows me to watch certain shows legitimately but choose to go the bootleg way?

Fansubs are just there, they'll probably remain there, we're not here to enforce copyright laws, so well, to some extent - to hell with the whole issue *shrug*

Oct 1, 2018 10:43 PM

Jun 2014
Fansubs list was such an useful feature for me to choose which group to go with while watching old animes. Sad to know it's gone.
Though can DeNA atleast provide the db table for fansubs votes and comments.
Oct 1, 2018 10:52 PM

Feb 2018
orangetangerines said:
Real otaku support fansubs. I wouldn't be able to watch the majority of what I like without them. Adios, mal....

100%.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 1, 2018 11:20 PM

Nov 2011
orangetangerines said:
Real otaku support fansubs. I wouldn't be able to watch the majority of what I like without them. Adios, mal....

Great idea. In theory. Here is the problem though.

We live in a world where people literally can make 100% original content online, but if even a tiny 2 second long fragment contains even an excerpt of something, a company will find it and issue a DMCA and get it censored. It is even possible now to submit false DMCA's and get things censored. Again I refer back to the situation on youtube as a perfect example of how absolutely bad things have become.

I am all for supporting fansubs but one has to be realistic and this site has been very high profile the past few years, that is the reason it was targeted that is the reason for all of this. If you want the site to stay around then you have to make some choices.

Only way to truly fight the censor is decentralized services, be them social medias, streaming/torrent services (already decentralized), or various fan based websites for different things such as this. We have a long long way to go to achieve fully decentralized software with regard to how websites and web services are hosted, barring that the next best thing is caution, and high profile websites often have to bend in order to not break.
Oct 2, 2018 1:30 AM

Feb 2018
Or maybe we just have someone obsessed with fansubs, translations e.t.c and now they're trolling the whole place, repeating themselves all over almost to the extent that it's almost embarrassing.

Please get some help as soon as possible.

Oct 2, 2018 1:36 AM

Feb 2018
azulakina said:
Or maybe we just have someone obsessed with fansubs, translations e.t.c and now they're trolling the whole place, repeating themselves all over almost to the extent that it's almost embarrassing.

Yet again I have no idea what you're talking about.
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 2, 2018 1:53 AM

Feb 2018
DragonKnightGX said:

Yet again I have no idea what you're talking about.

I have two projects to "choose" from to work on for the next several years. One is a VPN project the other is the API project.

Both of them are equally interesting but I'm yet to meet a nerd in among VPN people but I've met at least 2 nerds on MAL.

So, well, it looks like I didn't choose yet.... this is my obsession. It's what I think about all day.

Oct 2, 2018 1:56 AM

Apr 2016
orangetangerines said:

No, im pretty god damn sure that real otaku prefer Japanese TV and BDs.
Oct 2, 2018 4:44 AM

Feb 2018
Swagernator said:
orangetangerines said:

No, im pretty god damn sure that real otaku prefer Japanese TV and BDs.

Yeah, true that.

Oct 2, 2018 6:22 AM

Jul 2012
azulakina said:

Funny how you've just explained yourself.
Oct 2, 2018 6:42 AM

Oct 2008
azulakina said:

No idea.
Oct 2, 2018 10:17 AM

Jan 2013
azulakina said:

I'm glad that you're being honest with yourself.
Takes a lot of courage.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Oct 2, 2018 4:54 PM

Feb 2018
orangetangerines said:

rather stupid to put fansubs out of the question entirely because that would automatically eliminate you from watching plenty of good series that no western licensing company would ever pick up, especially old ones that you have no chance of finding physical media of.

I like the way you think, my man. 100% respect for you
Watch Jewelpet Twinkle
Oct 3, 2018 5:49 AM

Feb 2018
When do we get an update on API.

I've been waiting for the last 3 - 4 months, now.

Oct 3, 2018 11:11 AM
Feb 2016
Terkhev said:
Fansubs section removed? Now that's huge loss. Much bigger than API or clubs imo. Downloading first episode from multiple groups and comparing them myself is huge pain.

https://fansubdb.com/wiki/Autumn_2018

This might be useful for you.
Oct 3, 2018 4:03 PM
Feb 2017
Hell yeah, Thanks for the hard work. <3
Oct 3, 2018 10:08 PM

Feb 2018
LvsDark said:
Hell yeah, Thanks for the hard work. <3

Yeeeeeaaaaaaah

Oct 4, 2018 9:31 PM

Jun 2016
myanimelistllc said:
As part of ongoing efforts to support (((DeNA and (((Crunchyroll))) ))), the Fansub Group section of the site has been removed
(Piracy and unofficial streaming are theft, goyim!).
Here, I fixed it for you!
Oct 4, 2018 11:49 PM

Feb 2018
We want API more and we can even fix it for ourselves.

Some of us are not well up enough to be joining MAL supporter program, we don't exactly care about fansubs but we can fix API for ourselves

Oct 5, 2018 5:30 AM

Aug 2010
I hope crunchyroll washed before ramming their dick down your throat. Fucking terrible, MAL.
Oct 5, 2018 9:49 AM

Feb 2014
What about your API? Is it done? I've temporarily transferred my list to Kitsu because I use Taiga. I will probably transfer it here again once the API is fixed.

EDIT: I found out that you can connect your accounts...
spacecrow_Oct 5, 2018 10:00 AM
LOL
Oct 5, 2018 12:37 PM

Jul 2014
More people should cancel their MAL supporter role to get DeNA to wake up.

(why people pay for a free service is beyond me, they already get ur ad revenue.)
Pages (12) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Related Anime/Manga Section Changes ( 1 2 )

Kineta - May 23

66 by Hayukoo »»
55 minutes ago

» List Title Toggle: Main Title, English, and more ( 1 2 3 )

Kineta - Nov 10, 2021

110 by emmalilly »»
2 hours ago

» [Challenge] You Should Read This Manga 2024 ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Kineta - Feb 23

243 by Baldo_zz »»
9 hours ago

» Try MAL's New Mobile Site! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Xinil - Feb 15, 2015

424 by nothing_ness »»
May 5, 8:51 PM

» Moderators Wanted! Accepting applications for all positions

Kineta - Apr 26

0 by Kineta »»
Apr 26, 6:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.