Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Sep 18, 2017 6:26 AM

Oct 2015
Yeah, it's true. But I only watch anime for the story itself. The character design is only a bonus.
Sep 18, 2017 7:54 AM

Sep 2009
InsaneLeader13 said:
MortalMelancholy said:
Because it sells, duhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Sex sells...but who's buying?

COME ON MAL LET ME JUST POST A CLEVER REFERNECE WITHOUT CALLING ME OUT FOR CHARACTER LIMIT BS!!!

All u have 2 do is "buyingguuuuuuu!"
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Sep 18, 2017 8:09 AM

Apr 2014
People have to get offended by something these days. Anime is not real, and isn't supposed to be real. Anime girls are good looking because they are made to be something that the eye likes, and the same can be said about males. They are made as handsome as possible, because that is something people rather see.
Sep 18, 2017 8:47 AM

Feb 2010

@von12

hold my beer theirs going to be a lot of images

why are human so sexualized in anime is a better question just a few examples
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 18, 2017 9:52 AM

Sep 2017
I think it just has to do with the fact that that kind of thing sells well in Japan, as well as other countries, most of the time it's not just females either, male characters in anime are also very much sexualized as well, sure it is annoying at times but that's just how it is and sadly I don't think it is going to change as time goes on.
Sep 18, 2017 9:54 AM

Jun 2015
because if the imouto isn't cute no one is gonna buy the BD
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Sep 18, 2017 11:28 AM

Jul 2015
Sep 18, 2017 11:40 AM

Apr 2016
HDMaster said:
Well. It sells. That's literally it.

Yep, this was pointless question :/
Sep 18, 2017 11:57 AM

Oct 2015
Why are WE so sexualised? Seriously is it feeling hot in here or is it just me?
Sep 18, 2017 12:01 PM
Jul 2015
Orion_Gospel said:
chicoplaya said:

But then when men are sexualized *cough* Usui *cough* Sebastian Michaelis *cough* Free!.
Not one bats an eye. Double standards...

This is so accurate. One of the best answers i've read on this thread

This is one of the worst answers I've read. Period.
I don't know what dimension you've been living in all these years, but in this one, every time an anime that features bishounen boys/Sexualized men, or god forbid, contains actual yaoi undertones, people lose their shit.
You see it everywhere. Forums (MAL is a prime example), Social media websites, streaming sites, and if you know a lot of anime watchers IRL, them.
And even if what you said is true, which is 100% not, female sexualization in anime is really overblown. Sometimes to the point of sexualizing CHILDREN. But it's all okay because, you know, females were born to satisfy the sexual needs of males.
As for you OP, you must understand that to answer such a question, one needs to analyse the culture of the country that makes these animes we love so much.
Japan, as much I love it and its culture, still has a rampant sexism problem in 2017.
The latest example, one of many many many, is that a Japanese princess HAD to give up her title so she could marry a "common" man. A male prince can marry/fuck whatever female he desires, with no repercussions to his title.
Moreover, Japanese people still have the ingrained concept of females being the "weaker, dumber" gender. You see it in many sides of their society.
If you're living in the west, be glad, for females in those countries are more and more able to attain the same heights/rights as men. (as it should be).
Do not expect such gender-fair ideas from Japan, though.
An advice to you: Whenever you watch an anime, and a cringeworthy
sexist scene/dialogue occurs, just let it pass you like the wind. Don't dwell on it too much, and enjoy the good parts of the anime.
As for ecchi/harem animes, do as I do, and avoid them entirely. Because out of all the anime genres, they're the most...well, you get the idea.
Sep 18, 2017 1:02 PM

Sep 2013
anime is trash and so is every1 who is defending oversexualization that is anime
wow
Sep 18, 2017 3:24 PM

Aug 2009
von12 said:
The objectification of female characters is so prevalent in anime that it is unbelievable. Generally, a lot of female characters are just relegated to being love interests (that are sometimes needlessly sexualized too) and you only (somewhat) rarely see any complex and well-written women.

Why do you think that is and what is your opinion on it?

Because the target audience of that anime are heterosexual males.
Sep 18, 2017 3:52 PM

Feb 2010
Lvl2Cow said:
anime is trash and so is every1 who is defending oversexualization that is anime
then why are you still here just to suffer?
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Sep 18, 2017 7:52 PM

Mar 2008
Heterosexual male + Japanese craftsmanship = Very sexy female characters?
Sep 18, 2017 7:54 PM

Oct 2014
What kinda question is this even lol Isnt it obvious?
Sep 18, 2017 7:58 PM

May 2016
Character designs in animation are practically guaranteed to be attractive, because, in order for a design to animate well, it needs to be light on details, and that means simpler faces, and simpler faces look younger, and since the faces are symmetrical--to pass the mirror test--that also automatically makes them more attractive.

Because simple symmetrical faces are easier to animate, that's why animated characters' designs are inherently attractive. It all boils down to laziness.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Sep 18, 2017 8:00 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
because when i fap to them makes my dick goes

Skrrrat!
Pap pap ka ka ka!
Skidiki pap pap!
And a pu pu drrrr boom!
SKYAAA!
Du du ku ku tun tun!
Poom poom!

You get me, man's not hot
I tell her man's not hot
I tell her man's not hot
The girl told me anime females are so sexualized
I said babes, man's not hot
Yo, man can never be hot

Sep 18, 2017 8:03 PM

Jun 2008
Thank God for anime!

^Japan once again shows us the way.

Mod Edit: un-embedded erotic pictures
Fleeting_DreamOct 21, 2019 9:40 AM
Sep 18, 2017 8:42 PM

Mar 2017
is it oversexualized? maybe
is it objectified? unless a character has a shitty writer, then nah.
does anyone care? not really
but to answer your question, because I like tits and so do other straight men. Though some prefer ass. Both prove my point.

I mean even as a girl would you want to watch ugly anime characters? even if you do, pretty sure a majority don't and in business majority wins. this is just like asking why celebrity models have to be sexy...

Because WE as an audience (not just conformed to gender lines of male/female) want to see eye pleasing things. And the formula for that comes in the form of sexy characters. REGARDLESS of gender.
Sep 18, 2017 9:21 PM

Dec 2016
Why do you ask questions you already know answer to?

I think I know why.

Anyways, what's your favorite food guys? I like sandwiches. OP should make one for all dudes here, so it can compensate 1 second of my life that I wasted on reading post title.
Sep 18, 2017 10:23 PM
Jul 2018
--ALEX-- said:
Thank God for anime!

[img*]https://i.imgur.com/JYmxgiz.jpg[/img*]
[*img]https://i.imgur.com/Nq0yQf0.jpg[/img*]

but To Love Ru is trashhhhh! The least you could do is pick a non ecchi, cmon dude.
Sep 18, 2017 11:08 PM

Jun 2008
spuukiebuugi said:
--ALEX-- said:
Thank God for anime!

[img*]https://i.imgur.com/JYmxgiz.jpg[/img*]
[*img]https://i.imgur.com/Nq0yQf0.jpg[/img*]

but To Love Ru is trashhhhh! The least you could do is pick a non ecchi, cmon dude.

OK, fair enough...TLR is extremely ecchi...Let's try again...

^Mikasa...a strong, capable female that doesn't take crap from anyone, could destroy any male in the series in a fight...and yet still sexy.

Those tight clothes are Sooo good, and remember she's got dem abs...

I wouldn't mind getting my dick crushed by her rock hard abs.
Sep 18, 2017 11:15 PM

Feb 2017
Prog_upworks13 said:
Yeah, it's true. But I only watch anime for the story itself. The character design is only a bonus.

really i find anime based on charecter design most of the time :/
Sep 18, 2017 11:27 PM

Oct 2015
unlmtdbldwrks said:
Prog_upworks13 said:

of course nothing wrong with that. It's just my own opinion.
Sep 18, 2017 11:32 PM

Feb 2017
Prog_upworks13 said:
unlmtdbldwrks said:

of course nothing wrong with that. It's just my own opinion.

yup and i respect it, just wanted to comment :/
Sep 19, 2017 12:13 AM

Jun 2011
von12 said:
The objectification of female characters is so prevalent in anime that it is unbelievable. Generally, a lot of female characters are just relegated to being love interests (that are sometimes needlessly sexualized too) and you only (somewhat) rarely see any complex and well-written women.

Why do you think that is and what is your opinion on it?

First off, as much as I love well written women, I typically don't "care" persay just as long as the series as a whole is good. Granted, poorly written anything can ruin a good series.

But sexualization isn't the reason they are bad. I will say that much.

Here are some series recommendations for you fellow feminist:
Rose of Versailles
Oniisama e
Revolutionary Girl Utena (most feminist anime)
Wandering Son
Chu Bra (yeah an ecchi what?)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Perfect Blue (negative objectification view shown)
Kiki's Delivery Service
Ghost in the Shell
Princess Mononoke
Chihayafuru
Michiko and Hatchin
Princess Tutu
Gunbuster
Princess Jellyfish
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind

There are LOTS of well written female characters. LOTS.

Energetic-NovaSep 19, 2017 12:17 AM
The anime community in a nutshell.
Sep 19, 2017 12:14 AM

Jun 2011
hazerddex said:

@von12

hold my beer theirs going to be a lot of images

why are human so sexualized in anime is a better question just a few examples

I am going to say that only Ouran and Free count and until Free we really couldn't "celebrate" anything.

I do like dat ass on Victor.

Sep 19, 2017 12:21 AM

Jun 2011
I definitely like sexy and well written best of all.

Sep 19, 2017 12:35 AM

Nov 2014
Why? Because I like watching them. Good enough reason for me.

For me anime is mostly mindless, dirty pleasure to relax after work. When I want quality writing I can just grab classical literature or ambitious movies. Ofc I also enjoy and appreciate more ambitious anime with deep characters and great story, but it's just not what I expect from this medium.
JustAnotherShiroSep 19, 2017 12:40 AM
Sep 19, 2017 1:04 AM

Nov 2009
thewiru said:
"I've heard a number of male fans are uncomfortable with harem MC being such a sexual object, and complain about this loudly."

Not really, the complaints are usually about the character being bad or that the character, in their words, "should stop being such a p#$$&", or similar complaints Shinji receives.

I haven't seem any complaint about such character being "a sexual object".

Most complaints about harem MCs I've heard revolve around him just standing there and having the girls be attracted to them, while not having any mind of his own. That's what is called "being a sexual object". Sure, this is usually formulated as "should stop being such a p#$$&" or "no red-blooded male could have just stood there when there are hot girls all over him".

P.S. I would appreciate it if you used highlighting (like this: @flannan ) to notify me when you're answering my posts, if you have trouble using "quote" function or BBCode. It's hard to do a timely response in a boiling discussion otherwise.

AyameTomoko said:
@Hias, I don't mind sexualizing men or women, so what does that make me?

Sex-positive.

AssortedEmotions said:
@Darek

I probably won't participate in this thread much, but only about 5-10% of the anime I've seen have lacked at least one female character with inhumanly large breasts. It is possible to have breasts as large as are generally depicted, but that would require either A) breast implants (which you aren't going to get at 15-18, which is the general age range of characters in anime for whatever reason), or B) a much larger frame. If the characters were big-boned and had heavier builds, I could understand it, but when the breasts literally appear to weigh half as much as the rest of their body combined, it's just gross.

It is certainly possible for that to exist, but it's not going to be as extremely common as it appears in anime. I think that's a very large part of the problem most people have with "ecchi" and anime in general in a lot of cases. If they'd tone that down a bit, I think the characters themselves could maybe come into view. Hell, if they would just let the characters have some screen time without 90% of it being close-ups on their boobs, that would be helpful.

Just my thoughts.

For comparison, only about 1% of anime I watched didn't contain at least one female character with inhumanly large eyes.
As a general rule, I am okay with the authors depicting humans the way they prefer to. Even if it is hard to believe the main cast of Highschool of the Dead and Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka are about the same age. (yes, they're all in high school!)

5618NINgen said:
Are you sure it is not just cultural or political indoctrination that force you to have such opinion? Because tread title, your op nor any of your other posts dont offer any clear standpoint what it is based on. That all is just full with vague terms like well-written, complexity etc. I cant see even single argument that is not just a matter of your personal taste. It looks like whole your "problem" lies in selection of shows you watch then why do you believe your taste matters so much it has to be discussed here?

Yes, much of arguments like this are a matter of perception. Most anime have roughly the same levels of complexity for male and female characters of the same level of prominence. That is, a comedy anime male character's personality will probably be described by two words: "male" and "geek", just like a female character who is likely to be described as "female" and "shy".
But viewers are more likely to be offended my the lack of complexity and/or sanity in female characters, for numerous reasons. Mostly because nobody cares about men having a personality.

What is more useful to think about is, "how prominent the female characters are, compared to males". Anime isn't ideal in this aspect, but I think it's going well.
Sep 19, 2017 1:09 AM

Nov 2009
Science said:
Anyways, what's your favorite food guys? I like sandwiches. OP should make one for all dudes here, so it can compensate 1 second of my life that I wasted on reading post title.

If you don't want to talk on forums, don't write there.
Now send me 5$ to compensate for me having to write these obvious things for you.
Sep 19, 2017 3:22 AM

Oct 2013
Deknijff said:
von12 said:
I agree, anime does that too but it's not that common.
Can I have some base examples of characters you would consider realistic then?
Because if you think its uncommon then our definitions or standards are different
@von12 Im still waiting an answer in regards to examples of characters you think are as realistic as possible
Sep 19, 2017 6:57 AM

Nov 2016
Sex sells. It's not only in anime and with female characters. It's every-fucking-where.
Sep 19, 2017 9:26 AM

Jun 2016
Women have always been sexualized in media, not just anime. It's something that unfortunately will never stop and will sell a lot of Blu-ray's and DVD'S.
Help the industry and buy Blu-rays and DVD's.
Noragami is the best anime ever.
Sep 19, 2017 10:10 AM

May 2015
Lol, how many triggered feminists are on MAL? Objectification? Really? They're 2D DRAWINGS.

Sep 19, 2017 12:08 PM

Apr 2016
Deknijff said:
Deknijff said:
Can I have some base examples of characters you would consider realistic then?
Because if you think its uncommon then our definitions or standards are different
@von12 Im still waiting an answer in regards to examples of characters you think are as realistic as possible

Well, I would say Chihiro from Spirited Away is a good example of a compelling, relatable charcter or Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou is pretty true to how a 15 year old kid would actually act. Some anime like following the "dere" types and modeling their character under that particular mold and it's to prevent in basically every season that it ends up annoying.

It's done so much that it stops being interesting and just ends up lazy and uninspired writing. I know some people actually like these archetypes but each to their own, I guess.
Sep 19, 2017 12:09 PM

Apr 2016
Science said:
Why do you ask questions you already know answer to?

I think I know why.

Man, what a classy response. Kudos to you, dude.
von12Sep 19, 2017 12:31 PM
Sep 19, 2017 12:13 PM
Jan 2017
The vast majority of anime is made by men for men and thus their guiding principle when they make female characters is testosterone. Being female I strongly dislike that this is the case though, and really wish they would stop having raging boners for a second and give female characters the same courtesy in respect to tone that they give male characters. Also as far as rarely giving these sexualized female characters good writing well I imagine that their thought process is if she's only there to exist as a hole why give her that?

Even this website shows heavy testosterone in play. It's based on anime so of course most of the users and mods are male. I hate looking down at sig images when I come to the forum in particular because it's all mostly planet breasts, women lounging around in panties, reveling bodysuits,lolita's, butts,revealing outfits period, sexual school girl uniforms,extremely sexual poses etc.

There are rare female characters who have none of those characteristics though, and I do latch on for dear life when I encounter them. Example would be a series I'm currently into called Attack on Titan. None of the female characters are sexualized. You don't know how much I want to kiss the creator for that. Added surprising bonus he's male.
fantasynight04Oct 17, 2017 9:13 PM
Sep 19, 2017 12:22 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Terkhev said:
Why? Because I like watching them. Good enough reason for me.

For me anime is mostly mindless, dirty pleasure to relax after work. When I want quality writing I can just grab classical literature or ambitious movies. Ofc I also enjoy and appreciate more ambitious anime with deep characters and great story, but it's just not what I expect from this medium.

Ah.. i see you're a man of culture...
Sep 19, 2017 12:48 PM
Aug 2012
because i like it that way and so do my fellow mouthbreathing comrades in japan, now excuse me as i get back to waiting for the next piece in the sister fucking cinematic universe
Sep 19, 2017 1:16 PM

Oct 2013
von12 said:
Well, I would say Chihiro from Spirited Away is a good example of a compelling, relatable charcter or Takashi Natsume from Natsume Yuujinchou is pretty true to how a 15 year old kid would actually act.
Ok so are you saying you finding someone relatable is all it takes for a character to be realistic?
Because sure its realistic from your point of view but everyone acts differently so what truly dictates realistic and not realistic?
I think a character acting based upon the rules of the show is what makes a character realistic and that its at least slightly believe in how its presented.
Louise isn't exactly a relatable character but based off the norms of the show and the culture in said show its believable she would treat Saito like a slave and less than human. So she is a realistic character in that sense.
von12 said:
Some anime like following the "dere" types and modeling their character under that particular mold and it's too prevalent in basically every season that it ends up annoying.
You finding something annoying do to repeativness doesn't mean the trope or cliche isn't realistic though
You can add any Dere yet still be realistic with how its presented character wise if the author dedicates enough work into it
von12 said:
It's done so much that it stops being interesting and just ends up lazy and uninspired writing. I know some people actually like these archetypes but each to their own, I guess.
Liking or not liking these things don't really matter
fiction has existed for more than 2000 years so you think making something whole heartily original is possible to the degree you want?
I don't care if you find it uninteresting. But its not lazy. Its just a fact of the matter you'll see common elements among mediums or genres do to the age of humanity itself and that people take inspiration from things they liked from their past
Sep 19, 2017 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Rotton-Girl said:

what is the source? the art looks nice.
Sep 19, 2017 1:55 PM

May 2015
Sexualization and objecitifcation are not the same thing at all. People find other people sexy. Unattractive people - that is, people who are not underwear models - also possess sexual urges.

Since the target audience of anime is mostly teenagers and adults, people who are sexual, it uses sexuality among other things to attract them.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Sep 19, 2017 1:55 PM
Aug 2012
yes what is this anime i have never seen before in my life
Sep 19, 2017 1:57 PM

Oct 2013
Darek said:
Rotton-Girl said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt
Sep 19, 2017 9:11 PM

Jun 2011
Deknijff said:
Darek said:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty___Stocking_with_Garterbelt

lol the art done like that which is only for that one scene lololololol. It is good art though, very unique. I do love the characters.
Sep 19, 2017 9:18 PM

Aug 2009
What if I told you, that anime girls aren't sexualized by their creators, but that the viewers are sexualizing the anime girls?

I'm not saying that you're all a bunch of pervert weirdos... but you're all a bunch of pervert weirdos.

...I should just go to bed.

Sep 19, 2017 9:43 PM
Mar 2017
FacelessVixen said:

I'm not saying that you're all a bunch of pervert weirdos... but you're all a bunch of pervert weirdos

*ahem*

Yep, I guess we all are a bunch of pervert weirdos.
Sep 19, 2017 9:45 PM

Aug 2009
@AyameTomoko: I said I was gonna go to bed! I know that I get edgy when I'm sleepy!

*HISSSSSSS*

Sep 19, 2017 9:48 PM
Mar 2017
@FacelessVixen, you set yourself up, that's all I'm saying. lol
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

100 by SushiSuperLover »»
8 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

43 by Mayahuel »»
9 minutes ago

» Filler arcs are not that bad, you're just too old and have access to the internet.

LenRea - 6 hours ago

14 by Cazqui-09 »»
12 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

64 by BeastyAnimefan »»
13 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Yesterday

75 by SushiSuperLover »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.