Forum Settings
Forums

Are there any anime series where you prefer the Dub over Sub?

New
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Dec 24, 2011 9:40 PM

Apr 2010
Dec 24, 2011 9:42 PM

Sep 2011
lots, but ill just say my fav's

tales of the abyss(game but anime got dubbed)
mightiest disciple kenichi
baccano
durarara(YES I SAID IT)
welcome to the NHK by a long shot, not cause sub was bad far form that its just the dub was that good

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 24, 2011 11:44 PM

Oct 2011
Black Lagoon Dub- Revy's voice actor kicks the shit out of the japanese seiyuu (no offense to those who prefer the sub).
Dec 25, 2011 12:03 AM

Sep 2010
EquivXchange said:
Black Lagoon Dub- Revy's voice actor kicks the shit out of the japanese seiyuu (no offense to those who prefer the sub).

Why do I never read this type of hype for the Japanese track of any anime?
I bet a character could be designed and based on the actual seiyuu that's acting and if there was a dub many 'people would still say the English dubber was better suited for the role.

Dec 25, 2011 10:17 AM
Jun 2010
Onibokusu said:
Yes, because I'm not a weeaboo and I think for myself.

/thread

lol, yeah weeabos are annoying at times so I agree.

I prefer DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho(really awesome and I love the things that Yusuke say in the dub as well as his voice), Fullmetal alchemist Brotherhood(I do love the VA for Ed in the japanese one but I still like the dub better), possibly 'Nana', Samurai Champloo(very fitting voices), Trigun(although Vash sounds awesome in the subbed too), Rurouni Kenshin(think he had a girl voice in the sub), Baccano(takes place in America so why not), Durarara(I feel like it's sort of bad but I just prefer it for some reason, don't ask lol), Darker Than Black, Death note, Honey and Clover, Soul eater, Black Lagoon(Revy sounded pretty Bad ass), Welcome to the NHK and other childhood anime such as Pokemon, Digimon and Yugioh.

There are few dubs that I hate to death though like Bakuman's(check that piece of shit out guys), Nodame Cantabile(O_O) and a few others.
Ollyx2OxenFreeDec 25, 2011 10:24 AM

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Dec 25, 2011 1:34 PM

Jul 2011
Desert Punk.
Dec 25, 2011 1:36 PM

Jul 2008
- IGPX
- Cowboy Bebop
- S.CRY.ed
- Fullmetal Alchemist

and tons of others, sometimes the englishes voices just fit better. \o/
Dec 25, 2011 6:14 PM

Nov 2007
I actually tend to prefer dubs for the simple reason that a big part of what draws me to anime is the art. If I'm trying to read everything, that distracts me from the art (sadly, my Japanese was never good enough to follow an entire native episode). Further, I tend to dislike some of the more high-pitched and cutesy voices that Japanese voice actresses seem to use (not always the case, but there is a trend). And I note when characters are supposed to be intense or desperate, in Japanese they tend to get extremely shrill and just shriek everything (especially if the character is male). That does not really indicate good acting/emotion to me.

There are some shows that I prefer the sub coughGunGravecough, and there are some that I think are equally good in both, but unless the dub is really bad or the script radically different, I usually stick with the dub so I can actually watch all the art/action. Weirdly enough, I think Blue Seed was best in Spanish. Far better voice acting.
Dec 25, 2011 6:28 PM

Apr 2011
a lot :

Dragon Ball Z
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rurouni Kenshin
Baccano!
Death Note
Sailor Moon
Pokemon
Fullmetal Alchemist
InuYasha
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
etc.
Dec 25, 2011 7:17 PM

Sep 2011
Dragon Ball Z
FLCL
Dont touch me I'm in despair.
Dec 25, 2011 9:56 PM

Nov 2010
I guess the only one that comes to mind is Death Note since the first time i watched was dubbed, then i watched in sud later on.
Dec 25, 2011 10:34 PM

Sep 2010
Tsumayouji said:
If I'm trying to read everything, that distracts me from the art.

How?
Comics are words and art but the words don't drown out the art. Then how can just adding movement mean that words are now distracting to the art? What about when the art has words?

Ugh, this is getting so close to sub v dub. Why not enter you comment there instead of steering this topic away.

Dec 25, 2011 10:44 PM
Mar 2011
while eng is not my 1st lang aas you know

but i say Ghibil dubs would better of they used proper VA not outsiders for the dubbibg work ;ole when japan dubs sothing over form english they use Seiyuu not outsiders

and whin its comes to Ghibil dumb minus Mimi wo Miyazaki stuff over takahata - opposidte of Japanese Ghibil were iv like takahata over Miyazaki all the time
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Dec 25, 2011 10:50 PM

Apr 2011
Yes. Hellsing Ultimate, Black Lagoon, Ghost in the Shell SAC all have better dubs than subs IMO.
Dec 25, 2011 10:51 PM

Sep 2010
TenkaseiRyo said:
while eng is not my 1st lang aas you know

but i say Ghibil dubs would better of they used proper VA not outsiders for the dubbibg work ;ole when japan dubs sothing over form english they use Seiyuu not outsiders

and whin its comes to Ghibil dumb minus Mimi wo Miyazaki stuff over takahata - opposidte of Japanese Ghibil were iv like takahata over Miyazaki all the time

Disney dubbed the Ghibli films with Live Action actors and/or idols, not proper VAs. The main character in Ponyo was dubbed by Noah Cyrus whose only claim to fame is being part of the famous Cyrus family.
Which means if you're going to get pissy about Ghilbli hiring idols and not seiyuu then I am going to be equally pissy about Disney hiring celebrities and not voice actors.

Dec 25, 2011 11:00 PM

May 2009
Anime_Name said:
RLinksoul said:
Anime_Name said:

I don't know who that is or why I should care.

Because you haven't seen Dragonball Z Abridged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxoT3A4qgRo&t=5m50s

Okay so now a fan dub voice is better than the original voice that was selected by the creator of the series.

...I need more egg nog.

So what if the original creator thought the voice was a good choice, doesn't make it automatically a good one to everyone else.

Anime_Name said:
Why do I never read this type of hype for the Japanese track of any anime?
I bet a character could be designed and based on the actual seiyuu that's acting and if there was a dub many 'people would still say the English dubber was better suited for the role.

......yeah sure.

Anime_Name said:
How?
Comics are words and art but the words don't drown out the art. Then how can just adding movement mean that words are now distracting to the art? What about when the art has words?

Because when you look away from the words the same image is still there when reading a comic, adding movement means it changes.
Dark_PuddlesDec 25, 2011 11:14 PM
Dec 25, 2011 11:19 PM

Sep 2010
So what if the original creator thought the voice was a good choice, doesn't make it automatically a good one to everyone else.

It's not about being a subjective "good" but objectively voice that fits the ideals of the person who dreamt up the character. I believe the comment I replied to was "No grown man should screech like that." Since some grown men do screech and the production team on DB consciously made the choice for Goku to sound like that then the claim "No grown man should screech like that." is unequivocally wrong.

......yeah sure.

That comment was more rhetorical because it happens already.
Plus there are people stating they like one over the other without even having compared the two.

Because when you look away from the words the same image is still there when reading a comic adding movement means it changes.

Do you watch anime much? I think you're exaggerating what changes. The movement I see when there is text on the screen is mostly mouth-flaps with an unchanging background, maybe a panoramic shot, or even some dialogue in the middle of an action sequence. During the talking sequences of anime there's a lot of down-time in which a viewer can soak in the "art" even with subtitles on. The excuse that words distract from the art makes no damn sense considering the amount art, still and moving, we already have in our media with words.
Anime_NameDec 25, 2011 11:26 PM

Dec 25, 2011 11:22 PM
Jul 2011
-I would say FLCL, but I honestly prefer the japanese voices. The english voices are very competent though (and they did a great job with the localization), and the dub also has the added advantage of not distracting from the art. Just try watching the manga-style scenes subbed while enjoying the art and the dialogue simultaneously (unless you've seen it so many times that you probably already have it memorized, like me).

-Cowboy Bebop (duh)

-Renton is slightly less annoying in the english dub of Eureka 7 (although he is still kind of annoying).

-Ghibli films. No real reason; that's just what I do with Ghibli films.

-I like the more grown-up sounding voices of Gankutsuou's english dub over the Japanese (not that the original dub was bad or anything, it was pretty damn good).

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Dec 25, 2011 11:23 PM
Dec 2011
might get slapped for this, but I think that Higurashi when they cry's dub is better than the sub. but that's just me. only 12 or so eps in atm
Dec 25, 2011 11:37 PM

May 2009
It's not about being a subjective "good" but objectively voice that fits the ideals of the person who dreamt up the character. I believe the comment I replied to was "No grown man should screech like that." Since some grown men do screech and the production team on DB consciously made the choice for Goku to sound like that then the claim "No grown man should screech like that." is unequivocally wrong.

My comment was aimed at your last one which made no sense unless you tried to dismiss an opinion because the original creator thought the voice was good.

That comment was more rhetorical because it happens already.

What? That you do read that type of hype for Japanese tracks as well? Because since you've been in a dub vs sub thread no doubt you have read some.

Do you watch anime much? I think you're exaggerating what changes.

This was about your comparison to comics which wasn't apt, I'm sure there are people who are bothered by missing any type of movement on screen or feel the flow is broken by the reading as well as many series having things missed while you are reading. It's a valid reason to not want to watch subs.
Dec 26, 2011 12:01 AM

Sep 2010
My comment was aimed at your last one which made no sense unless you tried to dismiss an opinion because the original creator thought the voice was good.

I am sure I never made such a comment. Please show me where I have argued that point.
At best my last comment about the Goku voice thing was dismay over how useless it is discussing anything dub related with some people. Supporting the notion that a fandub is better than paid actors fucking absurd.

This was about your comparison to comics which wasn't apt, I'm sure there are people who are bothered by missing any type of movement on screen or feel the flow is broken by the reading as well as many series having things missed while you are reading. It's a valid reason to not want to watch subs.

Silent movies or rather silent cartoons make my comparison valid.

Fear of missing something is an excuse. Actually missing something is a reason. How shitty is your peripheral vision if you miss a visual in an anime because you were reading a caption on the bottom of the screen? Also how do you read? I frequently can read a line faster than actors can speak so my eyes are off the bottom of the screen and enjoying the scene for before the next line of subtitling pops up.

Dec 26, 2011 12:29 AM

May 2009
Supporting the notion that a fandub is better than paid actors fucking absurd.

Getting paid doesn't change Goku's original voice or make it any better, I find it to be a horrid voice that I can't fathom why the hell they would pay for it or think it was a good fit, and while I wouldn't exactly say the DBZ abridged voice would work for him if actually the proper voice (it is a parody after all) it overall is more likable.

Silent movies or rather silent cartoons make my comparison valid.

Not really.

How shitty is your peripheral vision if you miss a visual in an anime because you were reading a caption on the bottom of the screen?

Then why do you even bother looking up from the bottom of the screen?
Maybe missed wasn't the right word but something happening while you are reading at the bottom of the screen isn't the same as when you are just watching the show.

I personally see this as a very very little con in watching subbed anime that has never come into me deciding on what version of a show to watch but I can understand why people could see it as a bigger deal, especially slower readers or people with worse peripheral vision.
Dec 26, 2011 12:55 AM

Sep 2010
Getting paid doesn't change Goku's original voice or make it any better, I find it to be a horrid voice that I can't fathom why the hell they would pay for it or think it was a good fit, and while I wouldn't exactly say the DBZ abridged voice would work for him if actually the proper voice (it is a parody after all) it overall is more likable.

You don't need to imagine why they(the producers) would pay for such a voice. All you have to do is read the interviews and the cast, crew, and Toriyama. So all it takes to fathom why the voice works is to stop getting high off your opinion and open your mind to the notion that the creator and producers didn't want Goku sounding like superman or a deep manly man and that just maybe that people that run franchise have a better understanding of the character than you.

Not really.

Funny, I had silent movie comics in mind when I made that comment about comics, animation, and words. I mean it's really funny how silent movie comics are exactly what I am referring but you say otherwise.

Then why do you even bother looking up from the bottom of the screen?

It's how eyes work. Focus is ever changing for voluntary and involuntary reasons.

Maybe missed wasn't the right word but something happening while you are reading at the bottom of the screen isn't the same as when you are just watching the show.

I call BS on your theory. The words appear on the bottom of the screen because talking is going on and in anime when there's talking going there isn't much happening on the screen that could be missed thanks to peripheral vision.

I personally see this as a very very little con in watching subbed anime that has never come into me deciding on what version of a show to watch but I can understand why people could see it as a bigger deal, especially slower readers or people with worse peripheral vision.

The person I replied to said nothing about being a slow readers or vision difficulties. My question already implies that slow readers and people with vision problems might have issues with subtitles but people with hearing problems might have issues with audio tracks. My comments are directed towards individuals that are not handicapped.

Dec 26, 2011 1:06 AM
Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:

Fear of missing something is an excuse. Actually missing something is a reason. How shitty is your peripheral vision if you miss a visual in an anime because you were reading a caption on the bottom of the screen? Also how do you read? I frequently can read a line faster than actors can speak so my eyes are off the bottom of the screen and enjoying the scene for before the next line of subtitling pops up.

It doesn't matter how good your peripheral vision is; if I am watching something, I don't want to keep it in my peripheral vision. I want to watch it, dammit.

Also, sometimes the editing or the dialogue may be executed at a faster pace than most are used to or there may be words on screen simultaneously passing by. That would make subs a genuine hassle to read. (Have you seen that episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei where the characters are speaking but there are subtitles that say something else entirely? That joke was ruined by the lack of a dub in that case, and were it not for the pause button, many would have missed a fair amount).

I can read quickly too, but that doesn't mean that I would get full enjoyment out of rushing through the subs, followed by an ogling of the visuals. That would cause you to separate the audio and dialogue aspects from the visual aspects of the anime, when it is meant to be a cohesive whole.
Dec 26, 2011 1:16 AM

Oct 2011
I thought the Inuyasha dubbed was pretty great except there will be different voice actors when the Final Act gets dubbed
Dec 26, 2011 1:18 AM

Sep 2010
MajorMajorMajor said:

It doesn't matter how good your peripheral vision is; if I am watching something, I don't want to keep it in my peripheral vision. I want to watch it, dammit.

Ugh, seriously? You are still watching it and your peripheral vision is always in play as that is what allows you notice things in anime in a section of a scene you weren't previously focusing on.

Also, sometimes the editing or the dialogue may be executed at a faster pace than most are used to or there may be words on screen simultaneously passing by. That would make subs a genuine hassle to read. (Have you seen that episode of Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei where the characters are speaking but there are subtitles that say something else entirely? That joke was ruined by the lack of a dub in that case, and were it not for the pause button, many would have missed a fair amount).

Odd I would think a dub would have ruined the show by killing all the jokes and retitling it to Goodbye Mr. Sandpants. By subtitles saying something else entirely do you mean subtitles translating what's on the chalkboards? Because I haven't ran across a time where the subtitles for speech didn't reflect what was being said. If it was the chalkboard sub then a dub wouldn't have helped as the chalkboard jokes would have been ignored, removed, or changed.

I can read quickly too, but that doesn't mean that I would get full enjoyment out of rushing through the subs, followed by an ogling of the visuals. That would cause you to separate the audio and dialogue aspects from the visual aspects of the anime, when it is meant to be a cohesive whole.

Works for me in games, for TV, and movie in a variety of languages even English. I don't get any separation issue as I can read and listen at the same time. Strange that anime is somehow more difficult to appreciate if subtitles are in effect. Yup a strange and convenient excuse.

Dec 26, 2011 1:26 AM

May 2010
Yu-Gi-Oh until 5ds. Damn, when I start watch Yu-Gi-Oh dub there no turning back to sub.
Dec 26, 2011 1:41 AM
Dec 2011
The only dubbed anime I watched was Fruits Basket~ was good though!
Dec 26, 2011 1:58 AM
Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:

Ugh, seriously? You are still watching it and your peripheral vision is always in play as that is what allows you notice things in anime in a section of a scene you weren't previously focusing on.

That was mostly a joke, and I don't need you to explain to me how vision works. Yet if you really want to analyze the issue, very well. The more elements there are on screen (like, say, subtitles) the more elements you have to focus on individually while allocating the rest to the peripheral vision where it is merely acknowledged and not entirely analyzed. Something can be missed amidst the shifting of focus. Peripheral vision does not mean you get to analyze several elements at once, only that you can notice them (contrary to popular belief, multitasking is a myth; there is only rapid changes in focus).

Odd I would think a dub would have ruined the show by killing all the jokes and retitling it to Goodbye Mr. Sandpants. By subtitles saying something else entirely do you mean subtitles translating what's on the chalkboards? Because I haven't ran across a time where the subtitles for speech didn't reflect what was being said. If it was the chalkboard sub then a dub wouldn't have helped as the chalkboard jokes would have been ignored, removed, or changed.

So you haven't seen that episode... Well, I wasn't referring to the chalkboards. I was also not referring to any problems you might have with the dub releases you have encountered in the past. That is irrelevant to to the issue at hand, that subbed releases have their own set of drawbacks that are inherent to the nature of subtitled releases, and therefore, are unavoidable.

Works for me in games, for TV, and movie in a variety of languages even English. I don't get any separation issue as I can read and listen at the same time. Strange that anime is somehow more difficult to appreciate if subtitles are in effect. Yup a strange and convenient excuse.

I never said that it was exclusive to anime; that was a statement of your own fabrication, and not a "convenient excuse." Seeing as how you haven't truly refuted my claims with any evidence or reasoning to back them up, they still stand and I won't repeat myself. I would respond, but I've been given no point to respond to.
Dec 26, 2011 2:19 AM

May 2009
So all it takes to fathom why the voice works is to stop getting high off your opinion and open your mind to the notion that the creator and producers didn't want Goku sounding like superman or a deep manly man /quote]

Getting high off my opinion? My mind is open to that they may of not wanted him sounding like superman or a "deep manly man", the voice they choose is still horrible.

and that just maybe that people that run franchise have a better understanding of the character than you.

Yeah, so? Your point? I still hate the voice, my opinion stands.

Funny, I had silent movie comics in mind when I made that comment about comics, animation, and words. I mean it's really funny how silent movie comics are exactly what I am referring but you say otherwise.

Your comparison is still not a valid one, I never said anything about what you were referring to.

I call BS on your theory. The words appear on the bottom of the screen because talking is going on and in anime when there's talking going there isn't much happening on the screen that could be missed thanks to peripheral vision.

I call BS on your theory that all anime are the same and that there is never anything to miss when talking is happening while watching with periphery vision.
Dark_PuddlesDec 26, 2011 3:41 AM
Dec 26, 2011 3:49 AM

Apr 2009
I enjoyed Berserk.
Dec 26, 2011 4:15 AM

Dec 2011
No.I always watch subbed.
Dec 26, 2011 2:44 PM

Sep 2010
Something can be missed amidst the shifting of focus.

Something can be missed even when focusing. Big fat generalization, so what. I don't see why the worst should be assumed when subtitles, captions, words on the screen have worked since the inception of cinema and yet this concern somehow is so magnanimous with anime that it's distracting.

That is irrelevant to to the issue at hand, that subbed releases have their own set of drawbacks that are inherent to the nature of subtitled releases, and therefore, are unavoidable.

Another big fat generalization. If it is true that subtitled releases have unavoidable drawbacks then it is equally true that dubbed releases have unavoidable drawbacks as well. The biggest problem with your supposed drawbacks is you are just taking what subtitles are, text the appears on the bottom of the screen, and the concluding that their very nature is a negative. Subtitles are a post-production concern that usually happens at the broadcast or DVD production level, it doesn't have shit to with what the director intended but rather subtitles are one means to aid in getting the dialogue across, not just in anime.

Seeing as how you haven't truly refuted my claims with any evidence or reasoning to back them up, they still stand and I won't repeat myself.

What claims? You offered up an example peppered with some biased wording and a concluded there would be a separation between the audio and dialogue. I simply have not seen such a separation for myself or mentioned in venue where people partake of subtitling. The reason I call these problems anime only is because these "problems" are only ever brought up in anime related places, and oddly enough only by people that profess to favor dubs.

Dec 26, 2011 7:11 PM
Apr 2011
i like code geass dubbed more than subbed. dunno why but i kinda dont like it when its subbed. i love it when it's dubbed
Dec 26, 2011 8:32 PM

Apr 2011
-Baccano
-Cromartie High school
-School Rumble
-Spice and Wolf
-Pokemon
It usually depends on what version I watch first.
"Reality is a story the minds tells itself. An artificial structure conjured into being by the calcium ion exchange of a million synaptic fringes"
Dec 26, 2011 11:28 PM

Dec 2011
Code Geass and Soul Eater, just sounds very natural to me, oh, and Clannad as well I guess.
Dec 27, 2011 2:54 PM
Jul 2011
Anime_Name said:

Something can be missed even when focusing. Big fat generalization, so what. I don't see why the worst should be assumed when subtitles, captions, words on the screen have worked since the inception of cinema and yet this concern somehow is so magnanimous with anime that it's distracting.

1. Look up magnanimous. I don't think it means what you think it does ;)
2. I never said that it was specific to anime. That is an assumption you brought up.
3. It is true that things can be missed in either case, but my point still stands that if there are more things on screen, more things there can be missed.
4. I never said that I, or anyone, was ever assuming the worst. That is a "big fat generalization."
5. If you want to bring up the inception of cinema, please don't; you'd be doing yourself a favor by saving yourself a giant tangent from myself.

4. You said it yourself, subtitles are a post-production concern. They can never be fully integral to an audio-visual medium (unless intentionally inserted by the director) because movies are not meant to be read.

Another big fat generalization. If it is true that subtitled releases have unavoidable drawbacks then it is equally true that dubbed releases have unavoidable drawbacks as well. The biggest problem with your supposed drawbacks is you are just taking what subtitles are, text the appears on the bottom of the screen, and the concluding that their very nature is a negative. Subtitles are a post-production concern that usually happens at the broadcast or DVD production level, it doesn't have shit to with what the director intended but rather subtitles are one means to aid in getting the dialogue across, not just in anime.

Of course it is a generalization; I had already provided a specific example.
Dubbed releases also have their own set of drawbacks (the number and timing of the lip flaps provide the biggest restrictions, but to be fair, subtitles are also restricted by being forced to be written at believable lengths that match the words spoken onscreen and it is a manageable issue); that is correct, but it doesn't excuse the faults of subtitles. Those are still there, and are inherent to the practice of subtitling. You bring up a good point by saying that subtitles are simply a way getting the dialogue across, but to that I add: ...and dubs are an alternative method. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer the set of drawbacks that affect the visual composition, or the set of drawbacks that affect the original way and could potentially damage the cultural coherency?

What claims? You offered up an example peppered with some biased wording and a concluded there would be a separation between the audio and dialogue. I simply have not seen such a separation for myself or mentioned in venue where people partake of subtitling. The reason I call these problems anime only is because these "problems" are only ever brought up in anime related places, and oddly enough only by people that profess to favor dubs.

That was not a conclusion based on previous claims (that's why I wrote "claims" as a plural noun); it was merely an observation. I don't have to repeat myself. You can read my posts again if you want to know my arguments. I never said that everyone always felt the separation; just the potential for that to happen was there. Your empirical argument is not a solid argument against my case.
As an aside, there is a perfectly good explanation of why the debate (and, I stress, the debate; the problems are universal due some being inherent to the nature of subtitles) is more common within the anime community. Here are two reasons I thought up of on the spot:
1. Animation and live action are two completely different animals. In live action, we are met with the faces that provided the original voices and we see the subtle nuance of every facial movement, which would make other voices seem uncanny (although some people have gotten very good at dubbing live action stars in some regions). Animation (and especially Japanese animation) features more simplistic looking characters and mouth movements, so the dubbers are given a lot more room to work with and some genuinely good dubs can rise. After all, the voice actors in both languages are working under very similar conditions.
2. You probably live in the United States, Britain, or another English speaking country. I live in Central America, where most imports are dubbed, so I actually come across the argument fairly frequently throughout all strata of medium (although more so when it comes to animated movies due reason #1). Also subtitled films aren't that popular over there. Anime is the natural place for the discussion to arise in the United States. [/trying to inspire some form of dialectic synthesis]
PS: I am not among those who prefer dubs. That was just a generalization on your part.

PPS: If you want to continue please PM me (you know, for the sake of the thread.
MajorMajorMajorDec 27, 2011 4:08 PM
Dec 27, 2011 3:07 PM

Dec 2011
DBZ and FMA for sure
Dec 27, 2011 3:18 PM

Apr 2008
There are only three dubs I have ever liked over the original Japanese dialogue. Those would be:

Those Who Hunt Elves seasons 1 & 2
Excel Saga

While the series themselves aren't anything grand by anime standars, I found the humor in it much more relatable as a dub. Plus, at the time that I watched theses, it was in a group with friends. We were all laughing our asses off. So, it's also due to personal experiences with my friends that have a nostalgic sense to these particular series. I've watched them in Japanese with subtitles and while still funny, it personally didn't feel quite the same.
Dec 27, 2011 8:55 PM

Aug 2011
The dub for Code Geass was decent, though I still like the sub more.

I like most Chinese dubs, as the voices are pretty close to the original Japanese.
Dec 27, 2011 9:05 PM

Dec 2011
Black Lagoon and Baccano I think are arguably superior in dub form. Superior dubs are such a rarity that I can't think of another off the top of my head. I personally prefer Death Note and Code Geass in dub form, but I can't really say that they're better that way.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Dec 27, 2011 10:48 PM

Sep 2010
1. Look up magnanimous. I don't think it means what you think it does ;)
2. I never said that it was specific to anime. That is an assumption you brought up.
3. It is true that things can be missed in either case, but my point still stands that if there are more things on screen, more things there can be missed.
4. I never said that I, or anyone, was ever assuming the worst. That is a "big fat generalization."
5. If you want to bring up the inception of cinema, please don't; you'd be doing yourself a favor by saving yourself a giant tangent from myself.

4. You said it yourself, subtitles are a post-production concern. They can never be fully integral to an audio-visual medium (unless intentionally inserted by the director) because movies are not meant to be read.

1. I was shooting for big and picked the wrong synonym. Shit happens.
2. That would be your problem with over generalizing and leaving room for such assumption.
3. And it's possible not miss anything. If all you want to do is talk about endless possibilities because everything you say is only possibility of many.
4. What can I say?When you find yourself staring into the abyss sometimes it stares back at you.
5. And? That was a technological limitation but much is owed to that time and time marched on for the silent movie era but subtitles(captions) have proven to be a useful tool for media as a whole.

4^2. I never said fully integral and only said that because the vision of the director takes a back seat when trying to accommodate to the needs and wants of consumers in post-production.Yes, subtitling is something people both need and want which is why subtitling has been used for, oh I don't know...let's say a long damn time.

1. Animation and live action are two completely different animals...

Sure the two are on different levels but the two share the same problems. What makes dubbing odd is not so much from the animation provided on the Japanese side but how bad dubbed anime looks compared to domestic animated shows. In both Western and Japanese animation there are some mouthflaps that show a decent level a detail when forming words and for the times when mouthflaps are just opening and closing original audio is sync'd better. When compared to domestic animated shows it is clear the dubbed anime is an inferior product because of those mismatches. Now your assessment that animation lacks nuance and subtleties goes back to my point on how little actually happens during dialogue. Using the fear of possibly missing something while reading a line of text on the bottom of the screen is using a worst case scenario as an excuse for people that are not handicapped.

PPS: If you want to continue please PM me (you know, for the sake of the thread.

I don't PM.

Dec 27, 2011 11:34 PM

Nov 2011
re-watched code geass dubbed after first watching it subbed and i preferred it also when watching haruhi I used to swap between sub and dub
SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Dec 28, 2011 5:59 AM

Sep 2011
Pretty much only DBZ, since I was grown with it.
Otherwise, I can't stand the dubs. Although K-ON! and Madoka have some pretty okay dubs. + Funimation.
>tfw Youtube can't let me have nice things

Dec 28, 2011 6:37 AM

Apr 2011
I can't watch Detective Conan & Ouran Host Club in Japanese ... it sounds weird o.O
I prefer them dubbed thank you very much o.O

Otherwise I could go either way really I don't hate dubs o.o'' Funimation is good ... ^-^
Dec 28, 2011 8:39 AM

Nov 2010
Only anime i watched dubbed was DBZ, Pokemon? for the rest i prefer subs i heard cowboy bebop is good dubbed but haven't watched that yet.
Dec 28, 2011 11:54 AM

Sep 2011
Preferred Haruhi's and Lucky star's dub apart from the ovious ones like DBZ and Pokemon which I can't watch subbed because it's too weird.
Dec 28, 2011 12:06 PM

Mar 2011
I can't stand the dubs. I've tried to watch a few but gave up after 2-3 episodes. Original voices are much much much much much much much better.
Dec 28, 2011 7:02 PM

Nov 2011
Only anime I've "ever" accepted and watch in dub was Golden Boy. It's sub all the way for the last 20 years.
Dec 28, 2011 7:43 PM

Sep 2011
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood dub was alright sometimes.. But I prefer the sub because there is usually at least one totally unfitting voice in the dub for a main character. 0.o
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dumb narcissistic perverts is supposed to be funny?

Ri-KoRin - Yesterday

36 by Timeline_man »»
11 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that. ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Apr 27

88 by APolygons2 »»
16 minutes ago

» Are European anime settings easier to get into!!!

Afriendlypaw - May 20

26 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
23 minutes ago

» help

arhttr - Yesterday

32 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
27 minutes ago

» Anyone ?

lightning_angad7 - May 20

6 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
29 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.