Forum Settings
Forums
A Silent Voice
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Mar 27, 2023 9:19 AM
Nov 2018
Arjun_Manoj said:
SatouMatsuzaka said:

You're putting words in my mouth and arguing against a strawman. When did I say anything about artistic merit? Seems you are just making up things I didn't even say. It's absolutely fine if you enjoy KnK, I sure as hell don't. I'm saying people relating to its portrayal of bullying, depression, and suicide is why a large portion of people call it a masterpiece. Which I do not think is true. 

You literally said to another guy in the comment I quoted that "hey, if you ENJOY watching deaf girls get bullied, be my guest". Did I put any words in your mouth there? Where is the strawman? What I said in reply was that by this argument of yours, the main reason why millions revere Schindler's List would be because they "enjoy watching Jews get tortured & gassed to death". It's called an analogy, not a strawman - though judging from your other comments, you're probably just a troll & so are probably gonna pretend that you don't know the difference.

Heck, you're saying EVEN NOW that the only reason so many people like KnK is because they themselves must be depression or suicidal - and this is an ASTONISHINGLY inaccurate generalization to make, because one absolutely does NOT need to personally experience something in order to like or appreciate a movie about it. There are any number of popular classics - about themes unrelatable & unpleasant to the majority of us - which are evidence of this. If those works are liked FOR THEIR ARTISTIC MERITS & not simply because "everyone who liked it must have gone through something similar", then the same applies to A Silent Voice as well. Because to most people, it CONVEYED what depression, social alienation etc are like in a good enough way, it had great animation, music, voice acting, character development & dynamics etc. People usually like it for THESE reasons, NOT because they themselves are "depressed & suicidal" smh.

Anyway, I see a pretty high probability that you're just a troll now, so not gonna bother reading any further replies & responding to the same.[/quote]

I mean you’re the one who bothered to write a full essay at me despite thinking I’m a troll.

Also a correction from your assumption there. No, I said many people must have had a history of depression or suicidal thoughts. A problem that is actually a real life issue today with Generation Z.

If your movie is actually about acceptance and forgiveness, then don’t get so flamed when you see someone dislike it.
Mar 27, 2023 9:26 AM
Sep 2021
was a good movie, I enjoyed it. wasn't fantastic though so I kind of see what you're saying. It's one of them ones where I liked it and don't really have anything bad to say about it but it wasn't compelling enough to where I would go out of my way to watch it again kind of thing. Still though, was enjoyable to watch at the time.
Mar 27, 2023 9:42 AM

Sep 2021
You make it sound like majority of the people who liked the show only liked it because they could relate to it. I don't relate to most of the stuff presented in the show, but goddamn, I love this movie so much. Try reading the manga though, the pacing is much better in it.
Mar 27, 2023 11:01 AM
Dec 2016
SatouMatsuzaka said:
Arjun_Manoj said:

You literally said to another guy in the comment I quoted that "hey, if you ENJOY watching deaf girls get bullied, be my guest". Did I put any words in your mouth there? Where is the strawman? What I said in reply was that by this argument of yours, the main reason why millions revere Schindler's List would be because they "enjoy watching Jews get tortured & gassed to death". It's called an analogy, not a strawman - though judging from your other comments, you're probably just a troll & so are probably gonna pretend that you don't know the difference.

Heck, you're saying EVEN NOW that the only reason so many people like KnK is because they themselves must be depression or suicidal - and this is an ASTONISHINGLY inaccurate generalization to make, because one absolutely does NOT need to personally experience something in order to like or appreciate a movie about it. There are any number of popular classics - about themes unrelatable & unpleasant to the majority of us - which are evidence of this. If those works are liked FOR THEIR ARTISTIC MERITS & not simply because "everyone who liked it must have gone through something similar", then the same applies to A Silent Voice as well. Because to most people, it CONVEYED what depression, social alienation etc are like in a good enough way, it had great animation, music, voice acting, character development & dynamics etc. People usually like it for THESE reasons, NOT because they themselves are "depressed & suicidal" smh.

Anyway, I see a pretty high probability that you're just a troll now, so not gonna bother reading any further replies & responding to the same.

I mean you’re the one who bothered to write a full essay at me despite thinking I’m a troll.

Also a correction from your assumption there. No, I said many people must have had a history of depression or suicidal thoughts. A problem that is actually a real life issue today with Generation Z.

If your movie is actually about acceptance and forgiveness, then don’t get so flamed when you see someone dislike it.[/quote]

Replying out of sheer bafflement: If you didn't want a serious reply or discussion why are you even posting here? Heck, your own original post was even more of an "essay" than my reply was, lol.

It's also kinda sad that you had to resort to using TWO strawmen just to desparately save face on the anonymous internet: 1) I've already said that it's fine not to like this movie (heck, I myself have only rated it a 7 & have already stated that I dislike its crammed, rushed & overdone ending)
2) NOONE said that there aren't many people from Gen Z who suffer from depression - but rather that it's astonishingly stupid to claim that most ppl who like this movie are depressed Gen Z people. Most people haven't been to prison, nor have they lived through the holocaust either, and yet both The Shawshank Redemption & Schindler's List are incredibly popular classics. Same applies to A Silent Voice - you DON'T have to relate to it, in order to appreciate how mostly well-made it is.

So many people have already patiently explained to you why relatability isn't (& needn't be) a criteria to appreciate ANY art - if you're still not understanding such a basic idea, what else would anyone call you except dumb, or just a troll *pretending* to be dumb in an attempt to "flamebait"? Turning off notifications for now, so that I'm not even accidentally shocked into replying again by your pitifully media-illiterate replies.
Arjun_ManojMar 27, 2023 11:09 AM
Mar 27, 2023 12:30 PM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Thread locked for breaking the Anime Discussion Guidelines:
2. Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage meaningful and/or civil discussion. An example includes:
    d. personal storytelling, narration, ranting, and/or blog-style posts
      e.g. Rate my list/favorites, Post your ___ and I'll rate it, review and/or rant texts about an anime, etc.
      These topics only encourage a one-way discussion where members are commenting on the poster's idea (or vice versa).
If you wish to share your thoughts regarding a specific anime, please either use the review or blog features, depending on the content of what you wish to share.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Koe no Katachi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nihon_no_tsuki - Sep 21, 2016

709 by Kindoda »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Will you call it a romance ?

Khushal_v - May 24, 2023

32 by Seansy »»
May 29, 12:09 PM

» What are some differences between the original manga and the movie?

AoiroBlueColor - Aug 27, 2023

14 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:58 AM

Poll: » Should Koe no Katachi get a reboot as a TV series

HyperBrid - May 22, 2017

47 by Seansy »»
May 29, 11:39 AM

» Did you cry? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stacias - Aug 1, 2022

261 by Seansy »»
May 26, 3:55 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.