Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Oct 15, 2016 5:33 PM

Jun 2015
How the story progressed, there were a lot of unnecessary episodes and how the characters developed. When they confess they are like a totally different character (like rem) and how a shut-in can command an army, befriend someone who is participating for queen, have so much misery and problems.
This show goes to extreme problems to extreme resolves and then again to extreme problems. All because of subaru and the fact that rem first wanted to kill him and then after working extra hard this is avoided and the albeasts are gonna attack them and Rem ofcourse already loves Subaru by then and tries to kill them.
''Power of love'' + Bad writing + Bad story progression + Character development done wrong.

That's what I dislike about this show.

Edit: They are all about 16 years old and they talk about love as if they're 30 and they found the love of their life.

Like dafuq
In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful. | You know what I hate the most? People who aren't free. They're no more than cattle.
Oct 15, 2016 5:54 PM

May 2015
honestly after the best episode (18) it felt like it really went downhill. animation wise it became kinda painful to watch and the stuff about the whales and the cult wasnt really interesting to watch.
bored me~
Oct 18, 2016 3:12 PM
Jul 2016
The main problem with this show is the lack of actual tension or suspense. It creates it suspense off of presentation and direction, but substance wise there is nothing at stack. To circumvent this problem they attempt at making the scenes as gruesome as possible but when that is taken away we are left with a rather generic story.
Oct 20, 2016 2:48 AM

Aug 2016
Unclear explanation for a few things, such as why Reinhard chose Felt. Hopefully there will be a second season that will make these things more clear.

Also, the love of Rem. I don't hate her, but I just dislike the fact that everyone loves her.
Oct 21, 2016 12:39 PM

Dec 2013
Z4k said:
Not enough episodes.
Precisely this. I'm on my way to reading the WN and LN now.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Oct 22, 2016 1:02 PM

Apr 2013
I dislike Subaru.

I see why his birthday is April 1st. His entire existence is a joke.
Just need to find out how to quote this every time so I can dodge the stupid 30-character limit.
Oct 24, 2016 10:31 PM

Jun 2015
My only gripe with this show is that it was too long and grand. I liked that they decided to drop unimportant story lines rather than let them linger, but there were a bunch of cliffhangers, and hints here and there that were never explored enough or completely ignored.

For example: The giant dragon thing that decapitated Subaru, the entire plot with Felt, the cell phone.

Again, I liked that they decided to drop them entirely, but it does feel like they took on too much story, without enough episodes to tell them all, and knew that they weren't getting a second season.
Oct 27, 2016 3:30 PM
Aug 2015
The only thing worse than the show itself is its audience.
Oct 28, 2016 3:25 AM
Feb 2015
I noticed that a lot of anime fans have been talking about this so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm currently on episode 5 (half of it actually) and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I would continue watching it or just drop it.

My only problem is with the MC, he is really annoying, the rest, I can forgive. Back to Subaru; he is rude, talks too much, has exaggerated expression most of the time and throws tsukkomis (or retort, I just like tsukkomi's sound better) out of nowhere. Not exactly out of nowhere but let's just say that he has a really bad timing (?). I'm not sure how to say it. I'll just cite some example.

Sample 1:

Subaru: *wakes up lying on someone's lap* Is my head on someone's lap?
Puck: You're awake?
Subaru: I didn't know cute girls were this hairy.. Wait, that can't be right! *looks up, sees Puck*
Puck: It's just a thoughtful arrangement we made so you could at least feel happy until you woke up.

(Here comes the first tsukkomi, I didn't count the other one because he was just talking to himself)
Subaru: First of all, don't talk in that high voice! No sane guy confuses a cat for the main heroine!
Puck: Aww, making myself bigger was worth it to see you so happy.

..I don't know if it's because English is not my native language or just a mistranslation but I cannot see any continuity with what they're saying. And who is Subaru to tell Puck what to do?
Tbh, his jokes are not funny. I dunno, maybe he will get better? ..and for a SHUT IN, he sure is LIVELY. Even if it's just a front, it's still feels UNNATURAL.

Okay next one. I'll jump to the Mansion Arc since he is still bearable at this point, at least for me, but before that, there was this line that really bugged me.

Subaru: Nice one, Puck! Thank goodness it was before five, while you're still on duty. Thanks!
.. then no comeback or whatsoever. If I were Emilia, I'd say, "How the fuck did you know about Puck? Are you a stalker? Kimoii!".. then everyone says.. "Ne~"
Like, seriously, no one mentioned that? Well, whatever.

Moving on.. Sample 2:

Subaru: So Rem-rin (wtf? getting overly familiar, are we? Again, Kimoii.), you're good at cooking, but bad at cleaning and laundry?
Rem: No, I am generally good at all household tasks. I am also better at cleaning and laundry than my sister.

(2nd Tsukkomi)
Subaru: Does your sister even have a purpose? *shouting*

Where did that come from? Like, do you have to be the best to do something right? His jokes are getting lamer by the second.

Last example; it's about his rudeness:

Roswall: *Enters the scene* bla bla bla Beatrice, etc.
Subaru: *Taps Roswall's back* You guys hired a clown to entertain you before each meal? I'll never understand how rich peoples think. (Wut?!)

..It's not enough that he's being overly familiar with everyone he just met(Beatrice clearly wasn't pleased), he also had the audacity to call someone he doesn't know a CLOWN and no APOLOGIES thereafter. I know it's supposed to be funny but it only came off as insulting to the guy. There's also the bath scene but I'll be leaving that aside.

I think I've read somewhere that Subaru is supposed to be REALISTIC. The way I see it, he's just being a DOUCHE, which is a big contrast for someone claiming to be a SHUT IN. I don't know, maybe that's a new standard?

EDIT: Replace the MC with someone like Shiroe (Log Horizon)? and the show will improve dramatically. (I couldn't think of anyone else atm). The point is, Subaru is the only one holding back this anime. It has a great premise but WRONG MC. Too bad.
raik0nOct 28, 2016 3:34 AM
Oct 28, 2016 3:29 AM

Jan 2011
Hmm.....felt Beatrice lack screen time.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Oct 28, 2016 3:32 AM

Jan 2011
raik0n said:
I noticed that a lot of anime fans have been talking about this so I thought I'd give it a try.

I'm currently on episode 5 (half of it actually) and I'm having a hard time deciding whether I would continue watching it or just drop it.

My only problem is with the MC, he is really annoying, the rest, I can forgive. Back to Subaru; he is rude, talks too much, has exaggerated expression most of the time and throws tsukkomis (or retort, I just like tsukkomi's sound better) out of nowhere. Not exactly out of nowhere but let's just say that he has a really bad timing (?). I'm not sure how to say it. I'll just cite some example.

Sample 1:

Subaru: *wakes up lying on someone's lap* Is my head on someone's lap?
Puck: You're awake?
Subaru: I didn't know cute girls were this hairy.. Wait, that can't be right! *looks up, sees Puck*
Puck: It's just a thoughtful arrangement we made so you could at least feel happy until you woke up.

(Here comes the first tsukkomi, I didn't count the other one because he was just talking to himself)
Subaru: First of all, don't talk in that high voice! No sane guy confuses a cat for the main heroine!
Puck: Aww, making myself bigger was worth it to see you so happy.

..I don't know if it's because English is not my native language or just a mistranslation but I cannot see any continuity with what they're saying. And who is Subaru to tell Puck what to do?
Tbh, his jokes are not funny. I dunno, maybe he will get better? ..and for a SHUT IN, he sure is LIVELY. Even if it's just a front, it's still feels UNNATURAL.

Okay next one. I'll jump to the Mansion Arc since he is still bearable at this point, at least for me, but before that, there was this line that really bugged me.

Subaru: Nice one, Puck! Thank goodness it was before five, while you're still on duty. Thanks!
.. then no comeback or whatsoever. If I were Emilia, I'd say, "How the fuck did you know about Puck? Are you a stalker? Kimoii!".. then everyone says.. "Ne~"
Like, seriously, no one mentioned that? Well, whatever.

Moving on.. Sample 2:

Subaru: So Rem-rin (wtf? getting overly familiar, are we? Again, Kimoii.), you're good at cooking, but bad at cleaning and laundry?
Rem: No, I am generally good at all household tasks. I am also better at cleaning and laundry than my sister.

(2nd Tsukkomi)
Subaru: Does your sister even have a purpose? *shouting*

Where did that come from? Like, do you have to be the best to do something right? His jokes are getting lamer by the second.

Last example; it's about his rudeness:

Roswall: *Enters the scene* bla bla bla Beatrice, etc.
Subaru: *Taps Roswall's back* You guys hired a clown to entertain you before each meal? I'll never understand how rich peoples think. (Wut?!)

..It's not enough that he's being overly familiar with everyone he just met(Beatrice clearly wasn't pleased), he also had the audacity to call someone he doesn't know a CLOWN and no APOLOGIES thereafter. I know it's supposed to be funny but it only came off as insulting to the guy. There's also the bath scene but I'll be leaving that aside.

I think I've read somewhere that Subaru is supposed to be REALISTIC. The way I see it, he's just being a DOUCHE, which is a big contrast for someone claiming to be a SHUT IN. I don't know, maybe that's a new standard?
You're falling for the same pitfalls people have with modern critics when some is self aware of mean spirited whine that they are being mean or a dick .Subaru is not only realistic but he is self aware. He is very self aware throughout the series. When you know you start to laugh at those situations you mention. Don't take things on the surface and at face value we do that a lot with anime.
Oct 28, 2016 4:13 AM
Feb 2015
@MasterHavik So you're suggesting that I put myself in his shoes then. I'll try.

Okay let's see. I guess I did find the continuity with the first one now that I tried changing perspective but it's still not funny for me.

For the second one, it changed tone from joking to just being rude since he is literally just telling Ram that she's useless.

Third one, nothing changed, still rude.

About him being a DOUCHE, for me it has the same meaning as being OBNOXIOUS which is defined as "being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now back to the scene with Roswall; I see no other way of interpreting this other than him showing that he's somewhat an important guy who can look down on anybody which I think is within the definition of being OBNOXIOUS. I might be wrong. You can correct me anytime.

..last thing, I still don't see the REALISTIC part.
Oct 28, 2016 8:51 AM

Jan 2011
raik0n said:
@MasterHavik So you're suggesting that I put myself in his shoes then. I'll try.

Okay let's see. I guess I did find the continuity with the first one now that I tried changing perspective but it's still not funny for me.

For the second one, it changed tone from joking to just being rude since he is literally just telling Ram that she's useless.

Third one, nothing changed, still rude.

About him being a DOUCHE, for me it has the same meaning as being OBNOXIOUS which is defined as "being a showoff or attracting undue attention to oneself". Correct me if I'm wrong.

Now back to the scene with Roswall; I see no other way of interpreting this other than him showing that he's somewhat an important guy who can look down on anybody which I think is within the definition of being OBNOXIOUS. I might be wrong. You can correct me anytime.

..last thing, I still don't see the REALISTIC part.
The realistic part is pretty simple. No regular human would be okay with their situation. The dude spends the first 12 episodes just pointing out tropes of a fantasy world and his character archetype. You're trying to take Re:Zero serious and that's the problem. Now you can still not like it that's fine but stop looking on the surface that seems to what happens a lot with these shows with people on wanting to dig deeper. We're too quick to drop everything if it doesn't fits what we want.
Oct 28, 2016 2:59 PM

Jul 2015
Fuck you downvoter
Community opinion does'nt affected to me ,,,i just believe what i see with my own eyes!
Oct 28, 2016 3:10 PM

Jul 2015
What i didnt like is re zero downvoter is bastard.... They smell like a chiken......not know the different about what is good anime and bad anime..... (Not even single anime i watched in this years is better than re zero...thats my opinion) so let this topic is end up already ....dont give your critict in this wrong palace.....just shut up dummy kid
Community opinion does'nt affected to me ,,,i just believe what i see with my own eyes!
Oct 28, 2016 3:14 PM

Jul 2015
@sony_censyo
lol ,triggered because some people hate your fav anime?
everyone have his own opinion and you should at least respect it

that anime have the most disgusting retard mc i have ever seen in my life and all that subaruxemilia was forced as fuck

and dont worry the score will go down faster than you can imagine after this pathetic ending
Oct 28, 2016 3:18 PM

Jul 2015
tragedydesu said:
@sony_censyo
lol ,triggered because some people hate your fav anime?
everyone have his own opinion and you should at least respect it

that anime have the most disgusting retard mc i have ever seen in my life and all that subaruxemilia was forced as fuck

and dont worry the score will go down faster than you can imagine after this pathetic ending
did you see why that bastard only create negative topic on re zero why i dint see that on gintama n fma
Oct 28, 2016 3:25 PM

Jul 2015
@sony_censyo
re zero is the most popular anime this year (beside erased) , so ofc it will get some hate

people have the right to post what they hate about any anime in a respectful way
if you dont like their opinions just ignore them
Oct 28, 2016 7:27 PM
Feb 2015
@MasterHavik Actually, I don't have any problem if the MC is realistic or whatnot. I just pointed it out because I see fans saying it all the time.

I can see your point about that "superficial" argument but no, it's not a matter of looking into the surface. When someone is annoying, you'll find a hard time liking them and that's it. I already tried digging deeper on his character, I understood where he is coming from with his behaviour but that's about it, I still don't like him.

"We're too quick to drop everything if it doesn't fits what we want.."

I don't get your point here. Fit what I want? Why would I want an annoying MC in the first place? Aren't you misunderstanding me a bit here? This is just my guess but are you implying that I have a problem with his flaws (not strong, handsome, intelligent, etc.)? If yes, then I request that you don't put words in my mouth.

To clarify:
"...he is rude, talks too much, has exaggerated expression most of the time and throws tsukkomis (or retort, I just like tsukkomi's sound better) out of nowhere"

..nothing about his intelligence, appearance, or strength, so yeah, I can forgive those flaws since I've been a fan of Shounen for so long that these attributes don't bother me anymore GIVEN that the MC is LIKABLE.
Oct 28, 2016 9:15 PM

Jan 2011
raik0n said:
@MasterHavik Actually, I don't have any problem if the MC is realistic or whatnot. I just pointed it out because I see fans saying it all the time.

I can see your point about that "superficial" argument but no, it's not a matter of looking into the surface. When someone is annoying, you'll find a hard time liking them and that's it. I already tried digging deeper on his character, I understood where he is coming from with his behaviour but that's about it, I still don't like him.

"We're too quick to drop everything if it doesn't fits what we want.."

I don't get your point here. Fit what I want? Why would I want an annoying MC in the first place? Aren't you misunderstanding me a bit here? This is just my guess but are you implying that I have a problem with his flaws (not strong, handsome, intelligent, etc.)? If yes, then I request that you don't put words in my mouth.

To clarify:
"...he is rude, talks too much, has exaggerated expression most of the time and throws tsukkomis (or retort, I just like tsukkomi's sound better) out of nowhere"

..nothing about his intelligence, appearance, or strength, so yeah, I can forgive those flaws since I've been a fan of Shounen for so long that these attributes don't bother me anymore GIVEN that the MC is LIKABLE.
I can expand on that second point for you. Basically I seen a lot of people like you say this because you and others are expecting him to be super smart and badass and be the hero..when that isn't him. You are setting false expectations for him. Let me give you a small spoiler. Throughout the series Subaru has only thrown a combination of 5 offensive moves...and only one of them worked. I'm not putting words in your mouth but I seen this same type of criticism from others. LOL that isn't the character and the framing device for this series and the first 12 episodes tell you what he is all about.

This reminds me of how people hated old Cartman from South park almost.
Oct 28, 2016 10:56 PM
Feb 2015
@MasterHavik If that's not putting words in my mouth then I don't know what is. I'm not expecting him to be super smart or badass, I'm just annoyed at how he behaves, mainly his jokes and his attempt to be hilarious (and also his rudeness). Although these points can be easily forgiven if timed correctly within the scenario (and is actually fun to watch). That's all, man. Nothing about how the story goes or his character development. Just his interaction with other characters.

I just noticed something, whenever someone says that Subaru is annoying, fans immediately assume that it is about his flaws (intelligence, appearance, strength, etc.). I don't care about those cause flaws can be easily forgiven as long as the MC is bearable or likeable.

By likeable, I mean (based on my standard), is that
- whenever he tells a joke, it's actually funny, no need to be hilarious, just make me crack a smile is all I need... and no overplaying please.
- Not drawing so much attention just for the sake of it. (Tapping Roswall's back and calling him a clown was just him begging for everyone's laughter and that, for me, is a cheap humor). I think this would work if there's someone acting as a straight man in the show.
- Expressing oneself with just enough body language. Even if he is an otaku, there's still a limit on his shouting and how he waves those hands of his, I think?

That's all I can think of right now. Tbh, I could not clearly define what is likeable for me but I'm sure that it's not just being a badass and super smart. Maybe it's based on execution? Really not sure.

English is not my native language so I'm sorry if I'm not able to express it clearly.
Nov 8, 2016 9:38 AM

Jan 2016
Decided to return to this post now that I've finished Re:Zero, which I only picked back up because no one would shut up about it on the internet. I'd like to make a few updates.
• Subaru just took way too long to get concepts like telling others about Return By Death and the abilities of the White Whale.
• Betelgeuse (or is it Petelgeuse) in just a complete psycho that cannot be taken seriously at all.
• The whole cast acts as if they're a part of a stage production as opposed to an anime.
• Episodes 12-17 in general.
• Ridiculous scenes that end up infuriating the viewer.
And worst of all:
• Tries to act smart when it really isn't by treating the audience as idiots, accomplished by the usage of:
1. Symbolism that's shoved into your face.
2. Directing techniques that are just a bit too "in your face".

Essentially, watching Re:Zero is basically watching a series that knows it's not good and tries to fool itself into thinking it is for 25 episodes.
I'm just confused by the whole concept of scoring by "Writing and characters." If you're not entertained, why should you care?
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2016

817 by mavrus95 »»
Jun 11, 11:58 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 24, 2016

716 by MrList »»
Jun 11, 2:55 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1725 by __kitooo »»
Jun 10, 11:29 PM

» Ferris and Subaru

Daddi4900 - Jun 3

10 by Daddi4900 »»
Jun 5, 4:04 AM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2016

589 by ShadowkillZ »»
Jun 1, 3:39 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.