Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 10, 2013 4:16 PM

Nov 2010
Until recently a young woman, let's say she's an acquaintance of mine who also an anime fan like me check my MAL account to see my list. It didn't went well.

Her first reaction is "WTF! Yosuga no Sora as profile pic?". I replied to her that is nothing wrong with it since I'm a big fan of that show. "That's not right, that show is meant to be seen by dirty old men and you're not a dirty old man. You're a nice young lady." I said to her lots of romantic novel(that she loves) had similar elements too and so I still can't see anything wrong wit it. "Why not change it into something more female-friendly, like a topless bishie or better, two topless bishies embracing each other". I said no thanks I never interested with that despite being a straight woman myself. Not all women find (fake) gays sexy and I'm not homophobic.

And then the list itself and it is getting worse. "Lucky Star? K-On? Yuri Yuri?" All of these are dirty old men's shows and why do the hell it got into your list? Are you out of your mind?". I said she may right about their true marketing audiences but that didn't stop me from enjoying those. I love cute stuffs and when I was a kid i used to love Care Bears and My Little Pony. More importantly these are good alternative to tear-jerking shoujos(which she loves) because girls in the shows are never looking for a boyfriend and let alone romance. It is true their "boyfriends" are the ones sitting on the other side of the screen but that didn't stop a woman like myself from enjoying it.

It's getting worse when she saw Hanasaku Iroha in the list. "Hanasaku Iroha, I'm running out of words but that show is a disgrace to all romance shows. First of all none of the male characters are likable and there's barely romance in it but why most people can't shut up to it is a good show while it isn't". I said Hanasaku Iroha is for men, just like moe shows you just mentioned earlier, it had very few or no male characters at all. What makes HI interesting for me it is like a shoujo show but 90% cliche of the shoujo shows like unsympathetic heroine and unlikeable supporting female characters and of course it came with price too, just like you said most male characters are sacrificed in order to make better female ones. Since it was meant to be seen by men(and a woman like myself) so it's no big deal.

Actually she said lots of bad things to my favorite shows(maybe just because those shows aren't shoujo or josei to begin with) but she may a good point. Maybe I should stop becoming a "dirty old man" and watch something that really fits to my gender or stay as it is while avoiding good shoujo and yaoi shows just because they didn't fit to my taste.

Boys are welcomed too but I put the posts from female ones since I need their view of me and that "acquaintance".
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2013 4:21 PM

Mar 2013
Are you seriously making a big deal about the shows you watch just because one person commented poorly on those shows?

hue. Even if she calls those shows shit, if you like them, keep watching them. Your taste doesn't matter.
NikinJun 10, 2013 5:10 PM
Jun 10, 2013 4:26 PM

Jun 2008
OP, there's no need to worry about "bad" or "good" tastes.

Just watch whatever you enjoy and don't worry about the opinions of others.
Jun 10, 2013 4:26 PM

May 2013
Note, I'm a guy.

As far as I'm concerned, people like what they do. If you like those shows for the same reason as the dirty old men that like them, then you may have some personal stuff to look at and make sure your okay with being like that.

Otherwise, I think its important to understand why you like these shows. It could be something entirely different than what makes it popular with dirty old men. From what you say, it doesn't sound like its the same.

In the end, what makes people act so negatively to stuff like is the implications of liking it. They may think that you like it for the same reasons as those dirty old men, and it gives them an impression that may skew their view of your personality. Simply explain why you like it and that the parts that are made for that other crowd don't detract from your enjoyment enough to stop you from liking it. If they understand your point of view, then they can come to at least respect it (if not agree with it to some sort).

That's my opinion.
Jun 10, 2013 4:27 PM

Sep 2012
Joyce_Steele said:
"That's not right, that show is meant to be seen by dirty old men and you're not a dirty old man. You're a nice young lady."

"Lucky Star? K-On? Yuri Yuri?" All of these are dirty old men's shows and why do the hell it got into your list? Are you out of your mind?"

HAHAHA, oh god. Tell her maybe you're a dirty old man on the inside, she'll feel scared and stop talking to you.

Jul 2011
You know, maybe... just maybe... you are actually a dirty old man..?
Just a thought.

Anyway this is the beauty of opinions. Society doesn't decide what you should like, the moment she mentioned "female-friendly" was the moment you should've slit her throat.
Demographics aren't absolute. I hate the most generic shounen crap more than I hate greek soap opera.
The Internet is a very bad place, you should never go there.

Jun 2011
Yeah really... who cares if she doesn't like it?

She can't be talkin shit bout my Hanasaku Iroha though mane.

Jun 10, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
I'm a girl, I like Yosuga no Sora....nothing wrong with it. I not a huge fan of yaoi but it doesn't bother me. I have to say though I didn't like K-on but that's because of Yui, I liked the rest of the characters.

Nobody has crap taste, just different. That's why I don't tell my friends about the anime I watch, I keep it separate.
Jun 10, 2013 4:30 PM

Jun 2013
Sorry, I'm male.

But it's your taste in anime. If your friend/acquaintance or whatever doesn't like as well, then that's just too bad.
No anime is made ONLY for a certain group of people, sure it may target a specific age group & gender, but it's not like it's fixed.
I'm a Siren.
Jun 10, 2013 4:30 PM
May 2012
Hmm... i don't like it when girls have only male characters in favorites, it's disgusting. so there is no problem. your taste is good. i'm not girl though.
Jun 10, 2013 4:35 PM

Jan 2012
Watch what you like to watch. Don't let other people's opinions influence your preferences.

On the other hand, do you actually believe you're becoming like a dirty old man by watching anime? This thread feels down right weird.
"From when the snow melts
To where it falls again~
"

Jun 10, 2013 4:35 PM
Jul 2010
Hasn't it occurred to you that it's your female acquaintance the one who has shitty taste, not you? Besides that, she seems like a very bigoted person. I don't think I could ever take seriously anything a person like that says, to be honest.
Jun 10, 2013 4:39 PM

Oct 2012
Aerostar said:
Hmm... i don't like it when girls have only male characters in favorites, it's disgusting. so there is no problem. your taste is good. i'm not girl though.

What about guys that only have girl characters in their favorites?

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jun 10, 2013 4:40 PM

Jul 2012
yes
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 10, 2013 4:41 PM

Jul 2012
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

These people are gay as fuck
הלב שלי כבר מת
Jun 10, 2013 4:42 PM

Nov 2012
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

Those horny bastards.
Jun 10, 2013 4:42 PM

Jan 2012
Houndthree said:
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

Or dirty old men?
To where it falls again~
"

Jun 10, 2013 4:43 PM

Jul 2011
RiQ said:
Houndthree said:
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

Or dirty old men?

Guess I'm a dirty old gay as fuck man then...
Jun 10, 2013 4:43 PM

Nov 2010
NFH said:
Hasn't it occurred to you that it's your female acquaintance the one who has shitty taste, not you? Besides that, she seems like a very bigoted person. I don't think I could ever take seriously anything a person like that says, to be honest.

From my POV, she does have shitty taste as she never saw anything unless it is a shoujo or yaoi. She probably saw something like Naruto or One Piece but those only limited to yaoi fanarts alone.

By the way I'm not a dirty old man or woman with dirty old man's soul. I just like to see cute girls(not in sexual way) doing cute but fun things. Take K-On! for example while it is obvious it's was marketed towards 20-something men but in the end it was preteen girls liked it more, it least in Japan. Why? Most of them thought Yui and her gang was cool and to be like her and her gang when they grow up. For me that is a good thing.
Jun 10, 2013 4:45 PM

Jan 2012
Joyce_Steele said:
NFH said:

From my POV, she does have shitty taste as she never saw anything unless it is a shoujo or yaoi. She probably saw something like Naruto or One Piece but those only limited to yaoi fanarts alone.

By the way I'm not a dirty old man or woman with dirty old man's soul. I just like to see cute girls(not in sexual way) doing cute but fun things. Take K-On! for example while it is obvious it's was marketed towards 20-something men but in the end it was preteen girls liked it more, it least in Japan. Why? Most of them thought Yui and her gang was cool and to be like her and her gang when they grow up. For me that is a good thing.

Just watch what you like. There's no one that can say anything to that. The people that argue opinions and one's preferences are retarded or bad trolls. Simple.

datfag said:
RiQ said:
Houndthree said:
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

Or dirty old men?

Guess I'm a dirty old gay as fuck man then...

Wow, it truly might suck to be you.
To where it falls again~
"

Jun 10, 2013 4:46 PM

Nov 2010
Houndthree said:
yes

*checks this user's account*

*press 'go back one page' button*
Jun 10, 2013 4:46 PM

Jul 2011
I think you should watch what makes you happy. There's no point in living your life according to what others think you should like or what others think should make you happy. There is nothing wrong with liking things that don't conform to your gender. There is more to life than conforming to others preconceived notions of gender. If you don't watch the things that make you happy and aren't the things you like you are just going to make yourself miserable in the long run.
Jun 10, 2013 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
Houndthree said:
Tavor said:

ಠ_ಠ

RandomPerson3 said:
Those horny bastards.

I watched it for the plot!

RiQ said:
Or dirty old men?

_██_
ಠ_ಠ

Jun 10, 2013 4:50 PM

Jan 2013
But Vixen, you have Edward in your favorites...
Jun 10, 2013 4:54 PM

Jun 2013
Im male btw but none the less I see no problem with your anime list most of these are funny and great tittles and now I have to add a few of yours to my PTW list.
Jun 10, 2013 4:55 PM

Nov 2010
Just don't feed the troll guys.

By the way I'm agree with genesis350. Unfortunately there are too many MAL users failed to take this issue seriously. There still many other women thinking I'm a freak for loving moe while they too drowned in the sea of bishies and yaoi.

This thread is not about bashing people but rather the acceptance of moe or 'anything cute' to women as it is natural for women to hate moe as much as men hates bishies and 'overly fabulous' male characters(which most female otakus love).

I believe bishie-loving straight male otakus exist, just they never revealed themselves as they afraid most other men would hate them.
Jun 10, 2013 4:59 PM

Jun 2012
What I got out of this thread is that you're acquainted with one hell of an idiot.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 10, 2013 4:59 PM

Oct 2012
Joyce_Steele said:
rather the acceptance of moe or 'anything cute' to women as it is natural for women to hate moe as much as men hates bishies and 'overly fabulous' male characters(which most female otakus love).

No it's not...
It's a confirming thread along the lines of, "she's stupid and I'm right, right everyone?"

Jun 10, 2013 5:01 PM

Nov 2012
Joyce_Steele said:
I believe bishie-loving straight male otakus exist, just they never revealed themselves as they afraid most other men would hate them.

You don't even know the half. There are yaoi clubs on here that are 80/90% straight male.
Jun 10, 2013 5:02 PM

Aug 2009
Romario3210 said:
But Vixen, you have Edward in your favorites...

Eight (or nine) out of ten. I might as well be a target for that statement. -_-

Anyway. On topic post: Fuck the haters. Watch whatever you want to.

Jun 10, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2012
OP, I'll tell you right now: everybody has shit taste (yes, you're included), except for me and Neane1993
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 10, 2013 5:08 PM

Oct 2010
OP, if you want my advice, then I think you should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That will fucking show her.
Jun 10, 2013 5:09 PM

May 2013
Telling you what you should or shouldn't like, trying to police your tastes? Your friend's really rude. It's fine to disagree on what shows you each like, but it should just be left at that. Your friend crosses the line when she insults you for it and tries to push shows on you that she knows you don't like.

In response to your title question, in my opinion, yeah, you like a lot of anime that I don't enjoy. But really, opinions like mine are irrelevant because you like what you like and that's all that matters.
Jun 10, 2013 5:12 PM

Sep 2012
spyrocoot said:
OP, if you want my advice, then I think you should watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes. That will fucking show her.

Good idea, that will show her that she likes yaoi too.
Jun 10, 2013 5:15 PM

Oct 2012
Litrydow said:
spyrocoot said:

Jun 10, 2013 5:15 PM

Dec 2012
Everyone has different tastes when it comes to anime, you're not alone :D:D
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jun 10, 2013 5:17 PM

Jan 2013
OP, you should watch whatever anime you like, don't give a fuck to what certain trolls say, because there will always be someone who will bash your fav anime..
The only way to tell if someone has shitty taste is when they put school days before evangelion :P
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 10, 2013 5:18 PM

Oct 2010
Tavor said:
Litrydow said:
spyrocoot said:

ROFL! I actually didn't mind the homosexual undertones with Reinhard and Kircheis.
Jun 10, 2013 5:20 PM

Jan 2012
shattereddreamzz said:

The only way to tell if someone has shitty taste is when they put school days before evangelion :P

And what if I did? You ain't got shit on me. My taste is excellent to say the least, probably even better than before.
To where it falls again~
"

Jun 10, 2013 5:23 PM

Nov 2009
Well ... Personally can't stand Moe shows or stuff like that ... and most Shounen romances I wouldn't consider romance (Though most shoujo anime I wouldn't either since they seem to adapt the rather shitty shoujo manga for some odd reason) ... But wouldn't say your taste is "shit" just "eccentric" for a girl. Plus watching a show for "creepy old men" is alot less creepy if your a girl than watching a show for "creepy old women" ... I think.

Anyways maybe try out the "non-cliche" Shoujo anime that aren't bogged down with "Bishies" and get a better sense of the genre (since Shounen has the same thing, I mean, could you consider an Ecchi/Harem anything but unoriginal?) - Maybe try shows like Aishiteruze Baby (although sadly the animation quality is rather poor due to budgetary constraints) or perhaps a more gender neutral shoujo like Lovely Complex ... Or I actually think you might enjoy Nodame Cantabile (a Josei) quite a bit, the female character is actually one of my favorite characters, a very energetic and loveable female lead. (Also since I'm in the mood for recommending, judging by your current pattern, other girls I have met who like "cute" anime pretty much Idolized Chobits since Chi is supposedly adorable)

Anyways I have a hard time thinking of any "Top Tier Shoujo Anime" since my like top 5-10 romance would all probably be shoujo/josei ... but they would also be manga which to date, do not have an adaptation, and of the majority of shoujo I have seen adapted, they are the "cliche drivel with Bishies" ... But overall your tastes are your own, next time she says you have shit taste just make a 0 with your hand and say "you see this, this is how many fucks I give about your opinion about my taste in anime"
Jun 10, 2013 5:24 PM

Apr 2013
Tavor said:
Aerostar said:

Jun 10, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2013
RiQ said:
shattereddreamzz said:

And what if I did? You ain't got shit on me. My taste is excellent to say the least, probably even better than before.

well, good for you :P
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Jun 10, 2013 5:31 PM

Aug 2012
Yes your taste is horrible.
sexual incest in nisomonogatari - no one bats an eye
romance incest in SAO - everyone loses their minds
Jun 10, 2013 5:37 PM

Mar 2013
Well. I'm a girl, but I suppose my taste is different to yours in that most of the shows I really like have been aimed more towards boys. So I don't always align with the target demographic of the shows as well.

But honestly, there's no point in getting worked up about someone criticising your taste. At all. It doesn't matter what it applies to - your taste in anime, in music, in clothing, the type of food you like, and the list goes on. You choose what you like personally and as long as you aren't hurting anyone else, they have zero right to try and change you so you only like things you are "supposed" to like. So just because I'm a girl means I should only ever watch shoujo and josei anime? Just because I'm Asian means I should only eat Asian food? Just because I'm young means I should only listen to mainstream pop or club music? Um, how bout no.

OP, you should have enough confidence to like what you like, for whatever reason, regardless of what other people think of your taste. Everyone has different taste, that's kind of the point of being an individual.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jun 10, 2013 5:49 PM

Nov 2011
Just give her a kick to the tits to your friend. ;)
I luv u
Jun 10, 2013 5:50 PM

Jun 2008
You like what you like.
No one can change that.

And even though some shows are aimed for a certain age group or sex, it doesn't mean that everyone else can't enjoy that show.
Boys can enjoy mahou shoujo, and girls can enjoy ecchi.
Jun 10, 2013 5:50 PM

Jun 2011
Jaguer91 said:

That's hardcore.
Jun 10, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2012
Jaguer91 said:

Anything, but the tits please. Those might become important to someone.
To where it falls again~
"

Jun 10, 2013 5:51 PM

Jul 2011
Jaguer91 said:

This post blew my mind.
Jun 10, 2013 5:53 PM

Jun 2012
Your taste is so, so. Yosuga does have legit romance, but yeah i can see why she think its for perverted old man cause of the hentai scenes.

I However, don't acknowledged the part where she said k-on and lucky star for perverted old man, she is tripen there.
trunghuynh90Jun 10, 2013 6:00 PM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Watching the same anime over and over again

otaku2000anime - 10 hours ago

15 by Mayahuel »»
31 seconds ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime?

Iron_Leopard - 2 hours ago

21 by Xystus »»
4 minutes ago

» Age of Anime, Relevance, Staying Power and Regional Disconnect

Pages_Pages - 18 minutes ago

0 by Pages_Pages »»
18 minutes ago

» Gainax just filed for bankruptcy

HidamariSou - Today

15 by Pages_Pages »»
26 minutes ago

» Why aren't there more political / historical anime?

mahrjose - Today

7 by LenRea »»
42 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.