Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2013 2:47 AM

Nov 2011
ITT: We discuss weapons and armor that were used throughout pre modern history (cause modern weapons are so uncivilized). To make it more manageable, lets say anything before 1800 is allowed. Discuss your favorites, why you like them, critique them or even bring up the same katana vs longsword argument.

To start with, a favorite of mine is the hand and half sword of medieval Europe. Its elegant yet completely functional, light yet deadly. The blade can take punishment and deliver them too. Besides the blade, the pommel and hand guard are also usable as weapons and you can use half-swording or as an impromptu mace with the crossguard if you ever have the misfortune to face a man in full harness.

Another favorite of mine is the cavalry lance. From Alexander to Sobieski the lance has been the signature weapon of the cavalry. When couched under the arm, a heavily armored horsemen can deliver a strike so powerful it can "knock down the walls of Babylon"

As for armor, my favorite would definitely be the armor of the winged hussar of the 16th and 17th century. Strong, elegant, light and very stylish. Made from high quality steel, a good piece can even stop a pistol or musket shot. It is strong enough to give the hussars shock yet light enough to deliver the swiftness they are known for.

Another favorite weapon would have to be the musket. Matchlock, dog locks, miquelet locks, flint locks it doesnt matter. There are few things as shocking as the power of a musket volley delivering hot lead down range. a revolutionary weapon that after centuries long rivalry with swords and armor eventually came out of top as the main weapon in any army in the 1700s.

Mod Edit: Please use spoiler tags for large images.
LunaApr 27, 2013 4:24 AM
The Art of Eight
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 27, 2013 2:54 AM

Aug 2012
Oooh, this is a fun thread!

My favorite is either the halberd or the great sword. The halberd because of its ubiquitous presence when paired with older firearms, and the great sword (claymore in this definition) because it's... great (and it's not even the largest two-handed sword of its class). Cavalry sabers were always classy too.

It would be interesting to see full plate armor (gothic plate being the awesomest, even though it's pre-1800) being used realistically in any form of media. That stuff was practically impenetrable during its time, and yet media portrays it as relatively useless hunks of metal that anything could pierce.
Apr 27, 2013 2:59 AM

Mar 2012
Bow and arrow. The lack of it in modern media sadden me.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 27, 2013 3:02 AM

Nov 2011
MellowJello said:
Oooh, this is a fun thread!

My favorite is either the halberd or the great sword. The halberd because of its ubiquitous presence when paired with older firearms, and the great sword (claymore in this definition) because it's... great (and it's not even the largest two-handed sword of its class). Cavalry sabers were always classy too.

It would be interesting to see full plate armor (gothic plate being the awesomest, even though it's pre-1800) being used realistically in any form of media. That stuff was practically impenetrable during its time, and yet media portrays it as relatively useless hunks of metal that anything could pierce.

Yeah full harness is practically impenetrable by swords or spears and is actually light and articulate enough to fight in. Its sad how in fiction this amazing invention is depicted as slow and clumsy when irl they were the terrors of the battlefield. To give an example, here is a guy doing cartwheel and pushups while in plate.

The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 3:21 AM

Apr 2013
i'll go for dagger!
Watch the latest anime here: http://aniverse2.blogspot.com/
Apr 27, 2013 4:16 AM

Oct 2012
Tri-section staff, for its versatility, and it looks awesome in combat.
Uchigatana, because Kenshin (battoujutsu).

As for armor, it's not like you put on the armor and go directly to battle. A real life soldier might have to walk for miles.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 27, 2013 4:22 AM

Nov 2011
katsucats said:
Tri-section staff, for its versatility, and it looks awesome in combat.
Uchigatana, because Kenshin (battoujutsu).

As for armor, it's not like you put on the armor and go directly to battle. A real life soldier might have to walk for miles.

The battles of pre-modern war are often set pieces. If a soldier is wearing his full kit he probably knows a battle is coming up. Also, if you can afford a high quality harness you'd probably be mounted.
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 4:25 AM

Feb 2013
Zweihanders and katanas
Coolest weapons EVER.
Apr 27, 2013 4:35 AM

Mar 2011
Out of curiosity, do ring swords even work?
Apr 27, 2013 5:25 AM

Apr 2013
for my armor i would wear titanium vest!
Apr 27, 2013 5:48 AM

Nov 2011
Jacruz said:
for my armor i would wear titanium vest!

Has to with pre-1800 world how now?

InfiniteRufus said:

Ring swords?

dankickyouApr 27, 2013 6:22 AM
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 6:04 AM

Jan 2012
The Rock.

• Biblical
  • Hard
  • All shapes and sizes
  • Many purposes
  • Type of pokemon
  • Given enough time - will be your best friend while on a stranded island
Meanwhile, in the magical world of anime.

Apr 27, 2013 6:12 AM

Nov 2011
katana's always had something about them which I always found so cool.
Apr 27, 2013 6:41 AM

Oct 2012
I'm a big fan of short swords. Although I'd much rather have something longer in a pitched battle I feel they will perfectly fit my fighting style in 1v1.
Apr 27, 2013 6:59 AM

Jul 2007
I'm a big fan of completely stereotypical Roman armour. As for weapons, pole-arms get my pole-arm moving if you know what I mean, particularly halberds and naginata. I'm not big on military history so I mainly just think they look cool.
Apr 27, 2013 7:09 AM

May 2012
Idk much about weapons apart from games and films that i've seen, but my favourites would have to be either katana or scimitar. I think it's because I prefer more mobile weapons, although I'm not sure how mobile these actually are IRL, i'd assume the scimitar would be more mobile. I've no idea about armour... Probably prefer something mobile but durable at same time.

dankickyou said:
InfiniteRufus said:

Ring swords?

I think he means these:

And yes I think they do work.
Apr 27, 2013 7:10 AM

Apr 2011
Probably the Dragon Bone Smasher.
Apr 27, 2013 7:13 AM

Nov 2011
Nerdy_Old_Taco said:
Probably the Dragon Bone Smasher.

IRL weapons. And the Dragon Bone Smasher looks a hella silly.
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 7:16 AM

Nov 2011
The bible because I can use it to attack ignorant atheists and piss off gays /s

Personally I like rapiers with offhand dagger.
Apr 27, 2013 7:28 AM

Feb 2010
Twin katanas. Can't go wrong with twice the firepower.
Apr 27, 2013 7:31 AM

Nov 2011
Akito_Kinomoto said:

Eww. I hate dual wielding. Gives me SAO vibes.

Another great looking weapon is the Polish Saber or szabla. These things were real lethal on horseback.

The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 8:07 AM

Nov 2011
Hmmm I guess I'll go with the Ottoman Kilij. The angle of the blade is very good for slicing and dicing.
Apr 27, 2013 8:09 AM

Apr 2013
I've never been in the midst of a medieval conflict so my experience with the tools of the trade is non-existent. In RPG's I've always been drawn to the the simple bow and arrow, it probably has a lot to do with the fact hand to hand combat on old games (and some new) wasn't done very well, ranged attacks usually have much simpler physics so there was very little trouble with it. Still if anyone has ever payed games like Thief: The dark project you shouldn't need convincing of how satisfying a well placed shot is after you've spent 5-10 minutes adjusting the ark, crossbows I dislike as they seem to take the art out of it.

For the more hands on approach I suppose it's the more "stick 'em with the pointy end" weapons like a Dirk or Estoc I'm drawn to.

Apart from looking brutal they serve an important purpose, let's face it, dressing up in tin and iron was all the rage back then and your only option is to either dent the casing with something heavy or poke holes through the gaps with something thin and a mace is a little too cumbersome for my tastes.
Apr 27, 2013 8:11 AM

Jan 2013
skyrim fans, give this guy some love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3lGbKUcHk
Apr 27, 2013 8:16 AM

Nov 2011
grape-soda said:

Thats terrible. You are more likely to stab yourself or your friends to death than the enemy. And all those spikes makes it easier for weapons to latch on so your enemy can get leverage on you. Plate armor was smooth for a reason. :v
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 8:22 AM

Feb 2010
dankickyou said:
grape-soda said:

Thats terrible. You are more likely to stab yourself or your friends to death than the enemy. And all those spikes makes it easier for weapons to latch on so your enemy can get leverage on you. Plate armor was smooth for a reason. :v

Human battering ram. 'Nuff said.

And yes, my twin swords idea is derived from SAO.
Apr 27, 2013 8:24 AM
Mar 2011
Voulge
Tetsubo
Akama
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 27, 2013 8:25 AM

Jan 2013
plate armor dun need daedric hearts to forge
skyrim fans, give this guy some love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3lGbKUcHk
Apr 27, 2013 8:39 AM

May 2012
SRTHGV said:
The bible because I can use it to attack ignorant atheists and piss off gays /s

Personally I like rapiers with offhand dagger.
EOC can suck dick.
Apr 27, 2013 8:44 AM

Jun 2008
Akito_Kinomoto said:

Actually if you want to twin yield katanas ain't for you. Katanas are best used when you hold them with two hands.
Also katanas would be useless against a European army cause they where designed to slice not penetrate and wouldn't be able to hurt those with armors and shields.
Apr 27, 2013 8:51 AM

Nov 2011
Monad said:
Akito_Kinomoto said:

Actually if you want to twin yield katanas ain't for you. Katanas are best used when you hold them with two hands.
Also katanas would be useless against a European army cause they where designed to slice not penetrate and wouldn't be able to hurt those with armors and shields.

Swords arent optimized to deal with metal armor. All swords. Japanese armies are actually more spear and bow/musket than sword heavy.
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 8:54 AM

Feb 2013
The blunderbuss is the most awesome weapon ever.
Inaccuracy only makes it more fun!
Apr 27, 2013 9:17 AM

Nov 2011
-konachan said:

i don't like carrying heavy stuffs so no need for armor.. train flexibility, endurance and reaction skills for smooth and agile movement.. train ambidextrous if u want dual wielding..

Thats what they all say, until a knight is smashing their brains out with a mace. :3

Edit: and the blunder buss is indeed awesome
dankickyouApr 27, 2013 9:39 AM
The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 9:28 AM

Dec 2011
Well that depends... what are my dex and str stats?
Apr 27, 2013 10:33 AM

Oct 2010
Sai.

Long range: Mongol Bow. Could shoot 500+ meters.

But then I would scream 'POWAAAH' Jeremy Clarkson style, being an artillery fan, tempted to mention the Orban's Giant Cannon:

It was 27-feet long, diameter of 30 inches, weighted 40,000 lb, and could fire a mile away. It required 60 oxen to tow it, and accompanied by 400 men.
'Ask her to wait a moment— I am almost done.' - Carl Friedrich Gauss ( When told, while working, that his wife was dying).
Apr 27, 2013 10:35 AM

Oct 2009
dankickyou said:

Tony Stark. Medieval edition.

My pick would be Halberd:

Common weapons for the masses, easy to use but difficult to masters. It provides defense and offense, and one swing of it has more power than a sword.

For ranged combat I will choose crossbows, in the old medieval days they forbid the usage because it makes the battle distasteful, less-chivalrous, as an untrained soldier can perform nearly as good as a trained longbowman. They also break through chain mail and light plate like knife to butter, eliminating the bow vulnerability in close range.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Apr 27, 2013 10:45 AM

Jan 2011
Three-decker ships of line with +100 canons are the coolest shit ever.

But since those only get really cool in the early to mid 19th century here's a trebuchet.

And crossbows
Apr 27, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2011
azzuRe said:

Tony Stark. Medieval edition.

My pick would be Halberd:

Common weapons for the masses, easy to use but difficult to masters. It provides defense and offense, and one swing of it has more power than a sword.

For ranged combat I will choose crossbows, in the old medieval days they forbid the usage because it makes the battle distasteful, less-chivalrous, as an untrained soldier can perform nearly as good as a trained longbowman. They also break through chain mail and light plate like knife to butter, eliminating the bow vulnerability in close range.

Halberd and poleaxes were more the realm of professional soldiers rather than commoners since they can be quite expensive. For commoners and peasants, the bill and the Voulge are the more used polearm. Less metal and craftsmanship but still an effective weapon.

halberds and poleaxes were indeed great weapons and the preferred weapon for anti-armor work as an infantrymen. Here is a demonstration of its terrifying anti-armor properties.

The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 10:56 AM

Apr 2013
Still I would prefer titanium vest. if it's not available then i will still get one. why so serious with such stuff anyway...lol
Apr 27, 2013 11:05 AM

Dec 2012
JonyJC said:
Three-decker ships of line with +100 canons are the coolest shit ever.

But since those only get really cool in the early to mid 19th century here's a trebuchet.

And crossbows

Those pictures makes me want to play Age of Empires!
Apr 27, 2013 11:26 AM

Jan 2013

That's my man! :D

I'll only add in bows and light swords!
Apr 27, 2013 12:00 PM

Nov 2011
Smeithan said:

light swords!

you mean this?
:3

The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 12:48 PM

Jan 2013
dankickyou said:
Smeithan said:

light swords!

you mean this?
:3

Ahahahaa! No not really :P

I mean swords that are not heavy, and thus better to handle, like the one you posted in OP :)
Apr 27, 2013 1:43 PM

Jun 2008
Ancient Greek armor and especially those helmets. They made you look like one badass scary mofo.
Apr 27, 2013 2:38 PM

Nov 2011
Another weapon that is less known is the war wagon used by the Hussites, Cossacks, and several other Eastern European nations. They turned what is basically vehicles of transport and labor into a mobile fortress by linking the wagons together in a circle. While without this tactic, the Hussites would probably have been ridden down by the fearsome charge of knights, the use of war wagons allowed them to fight and defeat some of the best heavy cavalry of the time by completely nullifying the charge with wagons protected by hand gunners and pikemen.

The Art of Eight
Apr 27, 2013 3:06 PM

Oct 2012
When it comes to dual wielding, you need twin kodashi (shorter blades) in vein of Aoshi Shinomori (from Kenshin, again). The length of the katana makes it impractical to actually wield single-handedly.

Here's a tonfa, also used in Thai martial arts, good compromise for defensive and offensive capabilities.

I like short, hand-held weapons.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Apr 27, 2013 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
I feel compelled to mention the great and mighty Spear. Possibly the most commonly used pre-modern weapon since, what, the bronze age? An elegantly simple weapon that inspired the Halberd, the Naginata, Lances and Pikes, Javelins and Pila (Pilum? sigh), arguably even the modern bayonet equipped battle rifle. There's archaeological evidence of spear use as far back as 400,000 years ago and spears are being used today by primitive tribal warriors. That sort of historical staying power indicates a weapon of superior quality and versatility that deserves a mention any time pre-modern weapons are discussed. I would go so far as to say the Spear is the perfect weapon but I would be stretching it a bit and showing my personal favoritism on the subject.
removed-userApr 27, 2013 3:20 PM
Apr 27, 2013 3:28 PM

Oct 2012
muskets for weapons for armor chainmail
RRRRRRRRRR
Apr 27, 2013 3:55 PM

Oct 2012
The spear is definetly my favorite weapon of all times, second is the mace.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why aren't Americans rioting over the fact that McDonalds is now a Luxury Item?

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

15 by katsucats »»
1 minute ago

» Plummeting Birthrates Is a Good Thing

vasipi4946 - May 28

23 by katsucats »»
3 minutes ago

» Given mRNA changed their DNA, is it legal to kill Vaxxers?

vasipi4946 - 9 hours ago

17 by Rhae »»
6 minutes ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

822 by deg »»
7 minutes ago

» Favorite places in Japan(to thos who have been to Japan) and where would you like to visit in the future when you go again? ( 1 2 )

KiraraFan - May 7

53 by MalchikRepaid »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.