Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
May 2, 2023 1:37 AM
Apr 2022
I know the pacing isn't as bad as One piece. But, it feels like there should be a lot more content in those episodes. 

It was worse at episode 2-3. And at this recent episode, I already went through the 5 stages of grief during Gardar's montage. I stopped giving a shit a long time ago. Just kidding, I never gave a shit.

What do y'all think? Are y'all fine with the pacing?

Also, the baby looked ugly as hell
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 2, 2023 1:40 AM

Jan 2019
I find the pacing to be great, it gives each dramatic moment time to breathe. So many anime these days favour faster pacing with the cost of immersion, seeing anime like Vinland Saga is a breath of fresh air.

I do not understand why anime fans have such a big deal with slower pacing.
May 2, 2023 1:41 AM
Jan 2021
JerryB3RRY said:
I know the pacing isn't as bad as One piece. But, it feels like there should be a lot more content in those episodes. 

It was worse at episode 2-3. And at this recent episode, I already went through the 5 stages of grief during Gardar's montage. I stopped giving a shit a long time ago. Just kidding, I never gave a shit.

you have no idea about good pacing let alone good staging or anime in general lmao
May 2, 2023 1:45 AM
Feb 2022
JerryB3RRY said:

can't disagree with the last line xd
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM
Apr 2022
Elucid said:
I find the pacing to be great, it gives each dramatic moment time to breathe. So many anime these days favour faster pacing with the cost of immersion, seeing anime like Vinland Saga is a breath of fresh air.

Reasonable. It could just be a me problem. I just didn't give a shit about the character, or he didn't get enough development.

Yeah, I do favour a faster paced anime, but only when it's done well.
However, I find the pacing of Monster to be perfect. Which I heard them say it has a slow pacing.
May 2, 2023 1:48 AM
Jan 2021
the kid was low key ugly but pacing wise it's been amazing imo. ive been loving every second of this season tbh.
May 2, 2023 1:54 AM
Apr 2022
ardaljebeli said:
the kid was low key ugly but pacing wise it's been amazing imo. ive been loving every second of this season tbh.

How would you compare the pacing between the first season
May 2, 2023 1:56 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ardaljebeli said:

did you find from 1st episode of season until 14 to be fast pacing? to give a summary between those episode it was thorfinn being on ship with Askeladd and obviously plundering, although there's a lot more meaning to it than just that. 
May 2, 2023 2:00 AM
Dec 2019
People are way too fixated on the "x chapters per episode" thing. What if one chapter can be expanded on in an anime to make it more impactful? Exactly what they did with episode 17.
Also people forget how bad the pacing in season 1 was. Probably because they got distracted by Thorfinn's Naruto run and flashy fights.
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

did you find from 1st episode of season until 14 to be fast pacing? to give a summary between those episode it was thorfinn being on ship with Askeladd and obviously plundering, although there's a lot more meaning to it than just that. 

I found the pacing to be perfect, because I enjoyed it, felt it, and understood it.
Dec 2021
JerryB3RRY said:

what u mean babies are always ugly. even irl

i got no issues with the pacing
May 2, 2023 2:03 AM
Apr 2022
TheCupSlammer said:
JerryB3RRY said:

I mean you could make a baby not ugly in anime
May 2, 2023 2:05 AM
Apr 2022
Sylverthas said:
People are way too fixated on the "x chapters per episode" thing. What if one chapter can be expanded on in an anime to make it more impactful? Exactly what they did with episode 17.
Also people forget how bad the pacing in season 1 was. Probably because they got distracted by Thorfinn's Naruto run and flashy fights.

I didn't think the pacing of season 1 was bad, only the second half. Yet I didn't think it was that bad.

Why do you think so?
May 2, 2023 2:09 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ogking31 said:

I found the pacing to be perfect, because I enjoyed it, felt it, and understood it.
Since you enjoyed killing and just plundering then it'd be understandable if the episodes pacing of dramatic sequence to be not as fun. 
May 2, 2023 2:10 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
TheCupSlammer said:

babies that is born right away isn't mean to be beautiful... they are called matured fetus. 
May 2, 2023 2:14 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

Since you enjoyed killing and just plundering then it'd be understandable if the episodes pacing of dramatic sequence to be not as fun. 

Can't say that, I barely remember any fights being that long, I remember the narrative a lot more.
May 2, 2023 2:15 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

babies that is born right away isn't mean to be beautiful... they are called matured fetus. 

I guess babies are just ugly as hell
May 2, 2023 2:18 AM
Sep 2019
JerryB3RRY said:

true
i dont think a weeks wait is worth for these shitty episodes
May 2, 2023 2:18 AM
Sep 2019
why yall giving it 8-9 stars when this season is just full of shit
atomicman209May 2, 2023 9:28 AM
May 2, 2023 2:21 AM
Sep 2019
Elucid said:

then ig you wont even like AOT and DEMON SLAYER i think for me they have the perfect pace and must be fast for you
or ig you haven't watched all those longer animes like op naruto bleach gintama
May 2, 2023 2:23 AM

Oct 2019
JerryB3RRY said:

have you ever seen a real baby? if anything the baby was stunning by bay standards, other anime baby's just set unrealistic standards for baby looks!!!

anyways, check the imdb, the episode you're complaining about is one of the highest rated episodes in the entire series.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 2, 2023 2:25 AM
Apr 2022
Apolygon2 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

have you ever seen a real baby? if anything the baby was stunning by bay standards, other anime baby's just set unrealistic standards for baby looks!!!

anyways, check the imdb, the episode you're complaining about is one of the highest rated episodes in the entire series.

I stopped giving a shit about ratings ever since Aot S4. Fanbases are getting out of hand.
May 2, 2023 2:26 AM

Oct 2019
atomicman209 said:
why yall giving it 8-9 starts when this season is just full of shit
yeah full of shit like:

fantastic writing, great theming, top tier characters, emotional devastating moments, ear orgasmic music, really good animation, and so much more.

Also available at:

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 2, 2023 2:31 AM

Oct 2019
JerryB3RRY said:
Apolygon2 said:

I stopped giving a shit about ratings ever since Aot S4. Fanbases are getting out of hand.

I'm just saying, a lot of people clearly did care about the character. you don't have any critical problems. caring is subjective. and the score of the episode being a 9.7 proves that most people did care.

there is a reason I specifically said "one of the highest rated episodes in the entire series" instead of just saying it's highly rated.

I was making a point that vinland saga fans, liked this episode more than most other episodes, and the only reason for why you didn't enjoy it, is not caring.... which again, is subjective....

do you get what I'm saying?

the answer to people being fine with the pacing is yes. the episode you're complaining about is now one of the most beloved episodes in the series. there is a vocal minority like you that dislikes it, but that's as far as it goes.
Also available at:

May 2, 2023 2:32 AM

Mar 2014
The pacing is one of the aspects of what actually gives Vinland Saga enough time to convey such emotion into it's spectators and do it episode after episode. The "slow burn" will enhance everything once the climax arrives and it also gives side characters the required space to shine and develop an empathic relation with the viewers. That's why Vinland Saga has so many great side characters, they had time to develop and sometimes what felt like mundane activities scenes and subtle interactions between them added to their development and gave them time to shine. Season 1 also had a slow pace but it had more frequent action so i guess shounentards didn't complain as much.

But anyway, in the end characters are just mediums for storytelling but i also don't understand those opinions about Gardar "not mattering" since his character not only was a representation of the hardships of being a slave but his introduction  also added to Arnheid's and gave her an important role in this mini-arc and what comes after. This is no "One Piece pacing" cause it actually makes sense to make a seinen this way unlike a shounen which are usually centered into instant gratification and is extended for monetary reasons or to give breathing room for the manga to be written. It's a completely diferent scenario.
SoulblightMay 2, 2023 2:39 AM
May 2, 2023 2:35 AM

Jan 2019
atomicman209 said:
Elucid said:

then ig you wont even like AOT and DEMON SLAYER i think for me they have the perfect pace and must be fast for you
or ig you haven't watched all those longer animes like op naruto bleach gintama

I have seen AOT, Demon Slayer, most of One Piece, and Naruto with filler skipped.

I have no problem with the pacing with most of these anime except Demon Slayer, but that's probably due to the mediocre writing. I don't remember much of Naruto though, it's been a long time since I binged it.
May 2, 2023 2:41 AM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Pacing has been appropriate/good so far. Can’t say the same for the 15 min segment on Gardar though 😅
May 2, 2023 2:41 AM
Apr 2022
Soulblight said:
The pacing is one of the aspects of what actually gives Vinland Saga enough time to convey such emotion into it's spectators and do it episode after episode. The "slow burn" will enhance everything once the climax arrives and it also gives side characters the required space to shine and develop an empathic relation with the viewers. That's why Vinland Saga has so many great side characters, they had time to develop and sometimes what felt like mundane activities scenes and subtle interactions between them added to their development and gave them time to shine. Season 1 also had a slow pace but it had more frequent action so i guess shounentards didn't complain as much.

But anyway, in the end characters are just mediums for storytelling but i also don't understand those opinions about Gardar "not mattering" since his character not only was a representation of the hardships of being a slave but his introduction  also added to Arnheid's and gave her an important role in this mini-arc and what comes after. This is no "One Piece pacing" cause it actually makes sense to make a seinen this way unlike a shounen which are usually centered into instant gratification and is extended for monetary reasons or to give breathing room for the manga to be written. It's a completely diferent scenario.

I don't think y'all even remember much of what happened in season 1, there wasn't that much action. There were even episodes with no action. I still enjoyed it.
May 2, 2023 2:50 AM

Mar 2014
That's one of the points i was trying to communicate @JerryB3RRY , Season 1 also had a very slow pacing. For example the first episodes where we get to meet life in Iceland and Thors with his pacifism ideals, nobody would have liked the Priest if he didn't had time to fuck around with Askeladd's crew and ask them weird questions, those episodes when the band reaches Wales and they talked about the Romans and such, the political moves that preceded the final showoff between Askeladd and the King and Bjorn's slow death that led to that beautiful duel. Season 1 didn't had as much original scenes like Season 2 but at least from my POV it still was a slow burn and personally i probably wouldn't like Vinland Saga if the pace was much faster, both seasons are a perfect adaptation in my eyes, one which you dont usually see in seinen.
SoulblightMay 2, 2023 2:56 AM
May 2, 2023 2:50 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
Soulblight said:

I don't think y'all even remember much of what happened in season 1, there wasn't that much action. There were even episodes with no action. I still enjoyed it.
There was a lot of plundering, raiding... those are actions. There wasn't any drama centric during the time Thorfinn is growing up while in pursuit of killing askeladd. 
May 2, 2023 2:57 AM
Jan 2023
I've been trying to defend Vinland Saga S2 till now but I agree with everything you said cuz I literally had the same thoughts as I watched the latest ep.
May 2, 2023 2:58 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

There was a lot of plundering, raiding... those are actions. There wasn't any drama centric during the time Thorfinn is growing up while in pursuit of killing askeladd. 

I don't get the comparison, recent episode is about the result of plundering and raiding. And the rest of season 2 is about the result of growing up doing plundering and raiding.
May 2, 2023 2:59 AM
Apr 2022
Laterplz said:
I've been trying to defend Vinland Saga S2 till now but I agree with everything you said cuz I literally had the same thoughts as I watched the latest ep.

Well so far, this thread has been mixed
May 2, 2023 3:21 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ogking31 said:

I don't get the comparison, recent episode is about  the result of plundering and raiding. And the rest of season 2 is about the result of growing up doing plundering and raiding.
the recent is episode is about regret, decision making. they are not the same thing. 

What I'm getting at, is that there was a lot of actions during that episode 1-14 yet it wasn't great paced because all they did was raiding AND plundering and on top of the battle of london bridge. There was no like plot point. 

You may enjoy it because there's more action which is the point of mine 
May 2, 2023 3:24 AM

Sep 2020
Have you even read the manga ? The pace is actually perfect.
"I'll Take a Potato Chip and EAT IT"
May 2, 2023 3:29 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

I don't get the comparison, recent episode is about  the result of plundering and raiding. And the rest of season 2 is about the result of growing up doing plundering and raiding.
the recent is episode is about regret, decision making. they are not the same thing. 

What I'm getting at, is that there was a lot of actions during that episode 1-14 yet it wasn't great paced because all they did was raiding AND plundering and on top of the battle of london bridge. There was no like plot point. 

I get you, that episode was supposed to just show how they do their raid and Thorfinn's character.

But, my reasoning isn't as shallow as just not having action. I just didn't think the episode was great compared to the previous season's episodes that didn't have any action.
May 2, 2023 3:33 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ogking31 said:

I get you, that episode was supposed to just show how they do their raid and Thorfinn's character.

But, my reasoning isn't as shallow as just not having action. I just didn't think the episode was great compared to the previous season's episodes that didn't have any action.
There was not a lot depth to the narrative during those episodes. apart from episode 14 which it was amazing to portray how bad violence is. 

Other than that, the plot point is about Thorfinn going on an adventure with his nemesis. 
May 2, 2023 3:33 AM
Apr 2022
Jellybeanx said:

I find it as an anime problem. Actually a production problem. It seems like they were rushed resulting a slower pacing, to provide more time.
May 2, 2023 3:38 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
Jellybeanx said:

I find it as an anime problem. Actually a production problem. It seems like they were rushed resulting  a slower pacing, to provide more time.
it's to provide more characters essence and more breathing that just one screen to another. That's why there's not a lot of driven character series that focuses a lot more on the emotion of the characters and just casts them aside. In the manga, Gardar just died with no sense of depth to what he did when he left his family unlike how the anime did it. 
May 2, 2023 3:39 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

There was not a lot depth to the narrative during those episodes. apart from episode 14 which it was amazing to portray how bad violence is. 

Other than that, the plot point is about Thorfinn going on an adventure with his nemesis. 

The earlier episodes did show the value of a slave, how bad war is and it shouldn't be treated as game, and what it means to be a warrior.
May 2, 2023 3:46 AM
Apr 2022
ogking31 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

I find it as an anime problem. Actually a production problem. It seems like they were rushed resulting  a slower pacing, to provide more time.
it's to provide more characters essence and more breathing that just one screen to another. That's why there's not a lot of driven character series that focuses a lot more on the emotion of the characters and just casts them aside. In the manga, Gardar just died with no sense of depth to what he did when he left his family unlike how the anime did it. 

Well, it's probably because we already get it. There is already a character that portrays regret, the MC himself. It is a different case here cause Gardar isn't a kid. He brought this upon himself. But, I would've wanted more development from him.
May 2, 2023 3:55 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ogking31 said:

The earlier episodes did show the value of a slave, how bad war is and it shouldn't be treated as game, and what it means to be a warrior.
They don't expand on that until episode 14 so not really. In fact they abandon that the expansion after Thors died and only mentioned it at episode 14 and what the essential is to mean "love" as an interchange. Majority of it was Thorfinn on pursuit of revenge and really travelling a lot with no sense of what's to come.  
May 2, 2023 3:57 AM
Jan 2023
JerryB3RRY said:
ogking31 said:

Well, it's probably because we already get it. There is already a character that portrays regret, the MC himself. It is a different case here cause Gardar isn't a kid. He brought this upon himself. But, I would've wanted more development from him.
Of course he brought this upon himself, he wanted to live with his family which he knew she was also enslave, and we also know that Arnheid also wants to be free. Having a regret has no age restriction, Thorfinn's case is different as he regrets unwantedly killing people with no sense of justification. Meanwhile Gardar has. 
May 2, 2023 4:01 AM

Jun 2019
Even though, as an example, something like episode 17 was noticeably slower than some previous episodes from either earlier this season or last season due to the manner in which it focused for a longer time on a specific situation which could in some ways be considered a minor side story, I, in general, have no problem whatsoever with the pacing (I generally prefer slower-paced and longer series seemingly more than most nowadays and it's a virtual impossibility to bore me as I could watch literal paint dry and find some degree of amusement or interest).

However, whether it received one episode devoted to it or 10 or more, I have to say that either way, I don't particularly care about Gardar's situation compared to other aspects of the story, like for instance, the impending attempted royal seizure on now-King Canute's orders of all the tracts of Ketil's farmland, or the majority of the rest of the plot and other subplots covered previously. That's for two reasons. One, because while he's admittedly in a tragic, pitiable situation, I never liked Gardar's character much from his first appearance several episodes back as he just isn't my typically favored kind of character. Second, because with any series and any character, I'm not a fan of the direction taken in shows where new characters are introduced later in the game who the majority of the series/episodes' airtime is then focused on for a while. I'm almost never as invested in their plight or travails than the characters we've been following since either the very beginning or much earlier on. As a general rule of thumb, the later in the game a character is introduced, the less likely I am willing to care or favor them enough to want to see the runtime devoted to them and their situation at the expense of the previously established main characters, even if their individual story is attempted to be some indispensable microcosm of the show's themes. There's a difference between intellectual acknowledgment of the thematic value of a supporting character or subplot's focus and equal or greater emotional investment in it compared to what came before.
May 2, 2023 4:19 AM
Dec 2021
JerryB3RRY said:

Why does One Piece got to do with Vinland Saga, this made no freaking sense
May 2, 2023 4:26 AM
Mar 2021
It wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say the most recent episode only covered 1 or 2 chapters, there was a lot of anime original content but I think it added to what the manga was trying to accomplish with that scene.
May 2, 2023 4:32 AM

Feb 2010
The pacing is good because right now we're in character arc mode not action mode but it doesn't surprise me people are frustrated with it because not a lot of people liked when Ironman did this shift for movie 3. I don't mind it though because I like taking an arc to grow Thorfinn. It's compelling to me but ymmv
May 2, 2023 4:37 AM
Apr 2022
bossunhimeswitch said:
The pacing is good because right now we're in character arc mode not action mode but it doesn't surprise me people are frustrated with it because not a lot of people liked when Ironman did this shift for movie 3. I don't mind it though because I like taking an arc to grow Thorfinn. It's compelling to me but ymmv

This isn't an action problem at all
May 2, 2023 5:13 AM
Jan 2023
atomicman209 said:
JerryB3RRY said:

true
i dont think a weeks wait is worth for these shitty episodes

na listen man...... Don't give this a week if you think it's not worth it. it's a Goated series which will go down as one of the best. go watch MHA or something for action my dude
May 2, 2023 5:34 AM

Jan 2021
It has been flawless to me as far as pacing and direction go. It'd be better than S1 if it met the visual standards tbh.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

492 by Katzanmira »»
Jun 15, 4:37 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2023

158 by FarCritical »»
Jun 14, 9:58 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2023

195 by FarCritical »»
Jun 14, 9:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2023

139 by FarCritical »»
Jun 14, 7:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2023

163 by FarCritical »»
Jun 13, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.