Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

What was your opinion about One Piece before you started watching it and why did you started watching it?

New
Feb 7, 2023 9:39 AM
Jan 2022
One Piece was one of my first anime so I didn’t have an opinion on it before. I was so new to anime that I used to think Saitama and Luffy were the same person. Anyways I started watching because my friends at school never shut up about one piece at the lunch table. Even the teacher started talking about one piece so I thought I should watch it.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 7, 2023 9:52 AM

Dec 2014
I vaguely remember watching One Piece as a kid and thinking the idea of pirates searching for some grand treasure was a dope idea for a cartoon. I completely forgot about it for about 10 years after that though.

The only reason I even watched it was because when I was in high school one of my friends would blast the 4kids intro of all things through his xbox headset. So instead of studying for my final high school exams I said fuck it ill watch this shit, had no idea what anime even was or how long One Piece was. I was hooked after Arlong Park and 300 english dub episodes later I was addicted. Needless to say I became a weeb shortly after that. 
Feb 7, 2023 10:27 AM
Feb 2022
just start watching
Feb 7, 2023 10:37 AM
Dec 2022
I was bored in the corona pademic and nothing to do then i told my friend who was watching anime regularly to suggest any anime to watch he suggested one piece after that with one piece i have completed more than 250 anime and more than 8000 episode in it ๐Ÿ˜…
Feb 7, 2023 10:48 AM
Jan 2022
high rated on imdb
Feb 7, 2023 10:49 AM
Dec 2021
my opinion before watching: its long

my opinion now(after watching): its long but in a very good way๐Ÿ’œ

reason to watch: wanted to watch something legendary and also it's in BIG3๐Ÿ€

'One Piece' might be long but its worth it.๐Ÿ’ฏ

for those who haven't started: no need to rush, we still have a long way to go(approx 4 5 years). just watch slowly (even 3,4 episodes a day) and you can catch up easily. No need to rush
PrIYO_159Feb 7, 2023 10:53 AM
Feb 7, 2023 11:07 AM
Feb 2022
i got in blind. Started to watch to torture myself (it's long)
Feb 7, 2023 11:22 AM
Aug 2022
I just thought that it was the show that was so fucking long, and as someone who was blown away by Naruto’s length, I thought that anyone who watched One Piece must be insane. Then one day, I get recommended clips from the show and thought “hey, this is actually pretty entertaining” So when I didn’t have anything on my watchlist I turned in One Piece and long story short, it’s my favorite anime sooooo yeah.
Feb 7, 2023 11:24 AM
Feb 2022
Before watching it, I thought it had a poor art style and that the show was too childish, also I had not heard good things about it's fandom, but that's only a part of the fandom, the entire fandom isn't toxic.

But despite this it had a high rating both the manga and the anime, and the show was consistently airing, so I thought let's just give it a try. Loved the first romance dawn arc that buggy the clown one. The next two arc about usopp and sanji, imo were too stretched out and unnecessarily over dramatic and not good, the pacing is still an issue in the show.
The next arc Arlong Park imo was the best till date which I have watched. Even lougetown arc and their entry scene onto the reverse mountain was great.
Then I decided to stick with it and have watched till Long ring long road island arc and this arc was the worst and totally annoying.

My issues are still about the pacing, and as I had thought there are many childish antics in the show and that too mostly by Luffy and Usopp, which is really irritating to watch. I mean many times I have thought that Luffy's behavior is too irresponsible to be the captain of the ship and sometimes even selfish.(No offence to OP and Luffy fans).
And what's more is that these childish antics and anime troupes and other things which are supposed to only be for comedic purposes actually add to the plot of the show. I mean that's somewhat of a hard pill for me to swallow. No other show which I have seen does this.

Despite all it's shortcomings I would still recommend it to anyone but one has to be a little patient with this. It is definitely not a bad show and I can see why it is part of the Big 3.
Jatin587Feb 7, 2023 11:29 AM
Feb 7, 2023 11:37 AM
Jun 2013
I didn’t have an opinion since I started watching ONE PIECE when it first started airing. To me it was just another cartoon like Pokémon, Dragon Ball, Gundam, and Samurai Jack.
Feb 7, 2023 12:17 PM
Dec 2022
A LOT of people like my friends had watched it so I have it a shot, it just got better and better
Feb 7, 2023 12:18 PM
Apr 2020
Elvy said:
I vaguely remember watching One Piece as a kid and thinking the idea of pirates searching for some grand treasure was a dope idea for a cartoon. I completely forgot about it for about 10 years after that though.

The only reason I even watched it was because when I was in high school one of my friends would blast the 4kids intro of all things through his xbox headset. So instead of studying for my final high school exams I said fuck it ill watch this shit, had no idea what anime even was or how long One Piece was. I was hooked after Arlong Park and 300 english dub episodes later I was addicted. Needless to say I became a weeb shortly after that. 

but you dropped Goat Piece after 96 eps and gave it a 4๐Ÿฅฑ Your opinion doesn't even matter you call yourself a weeb
Feb 7, 2023 12:20 PM

Apr 2022
i was a naruto fan and i heard a lot of people say one piece is better than naruto, which didn't make any sense to me. my thoughts were "how on earth could a show about pirates be better than a show about ninjas?", so the reason i began watching one piece was just to make sure it's not better than naruto. only took until around episode 150 for me to realize how wrong i was and that i've already enjoyed this more lmao. got hooked before i realized it. no hate to naruto tho.
ryzxgumFeb 7, 2023 12:26 PM
Feb 7, 2023 12:49 PM
Oct 2021
kept seeing loads of hype and just thought hey i’ll give this a go n see what it’s all about
Feb 7, 2023 12:52 PM
ProfessionalDumb
Jun 2022
I thought I'd never be able to spare the time to make it far so I really didn't want to start and I watched around 40 before calling it quits. But one day my friend group try harded the hell out of this anime so now I'm trying to catch up with them not to get spoiled. I enjoyed it more than I initially anticipated though.
Feb 7, 2023 12:53 PM
Feb 2022
before i started i was a one piece hater because of too many episodes now im all caught up and its top 5 anime
Feb 7, 2023 1:04 PM
Sep 2020
I had already watched fairy tail (twice), hxh, yuyu, and Naruto before I watched one piece. Which I thought was super ugly and unnattractive and annoying. And that’s how I felt after episode 1, except it wasn’t unnattractive or annoying, it had a charm to it. And it took its time like crazy, not to a fault like many would say, it is a strength that no other anime has except the longest runners. After getting through the joining of his first few shipmates I was in love with the art effort and style, humor, development of plot, world and characters. It became full fledged 11/10 during/after alabasta. On episode 500 ish now. I can see why people call fairy tail a poor man’s one piece. It’s meant as an insult but it is really such a compliment. Fairy tail really is the next in line as far as world building, character supply and art style and humor. Great mix of everything. But one piece is anime’s anime. It’s literally perfect.
Feb 7, 2023 1:13 PM

Aug 2019
I thought it was just another anime. Like, I didn't hate or love it, it was just there. I'd seen some 4Kids dub scenes and thought they sucked, but every 4Kids dub has sucked to some extent lol.

I only started reading the manga cuz Bleach and Naruto had gotten boring and I wanted to see if One Piece was better. And in many ways, it was.
Early_MorningFeb 7, 2023 1:17 PM
Feb 7, 2023 1:13 PM
Nov 2021
Some people Dropped at the Start like in 60 episodes. But i give it try and watched over 200+ and it's got better and better and the who told me was my friend to watch and he knows the which anime is good. So I just watched the anime and become one of my Favourite.
Feb 7, 2023 1:14 PM
Apr 2022
my opinion before:
I remember seeing bits of it as a kid when I used to stay up late, and I don't remember much, but I remember I wasn't crazy about the animation. It looked weird, and all the voices were funny, so it didn't stick with me. All I could remember at the time for the next 10+ years was that there was some stretchy pirate kid looking for treasure with a group of people and a weird looking clown pirate?
then thinking about watching it again in the future, I thought wow this is really long, I'm gonna watch a couple of other things first before I jump into this.

my opinion now:
I never would have gotten into this growing up as a kid, but I'm glad I can appreciate it for what it is now. best decision ever watching this beautiful story unravel. the story, world, and character building throughout the entirety of the series is beyond my imagination, and I'm baffled as to how something this good hasn't gotten stale after 1K episodes.
Feb 7, 2023 1:15 PM
Feb 2020
After watching hxh I wanted my friend to watch it. I knew he liked one piece so I said I would watch 2 episodes of op for 1 episode of hxh if remember correctly it didn't even take him a month to finish it for me it took like 4 years to get caught up cause i dropped it 2 times both for more then a year. Dropped it at alabasta and skypiea
Feb 7, 2023 1:28 PM
Mar 2017
I didn't really have an opinion on it but I thought that it has to be at least decent for it go as long as it did. I slowly watch an episode or two every now and again because I heard a rumor that said Oda wanted to finish it within the next couple of years.

Also I've seen some of the animation for some of the newer fights and I don't think I've ever seen animation that looks that good.

I got into bleach the same way by seeing some of the later fights in the show.
Feb 7, 2023 1:45 PM
Mar 2022
before watching One piece I watched one punch man. As I typed One in search bar first option was always one piece. And almost every time I would say something like ; nobody gives a fuck about one piece or what one piece I want to see a good anime. Then I decided to finally watch and up to this date I still believe that I was an idiot back then.
Feb 7, 2023 1:53 PM
Jun 2022
Before watching One Piece:

The show is too long. The fan base carries it with their stubbornness to tell people to watch it. The art style is too wacky.

After starting to watching it (currently watching) One Piece:

Every Straw Hat member is a main character in their own way. The art style fits the random comedic and childish moments, while being suited properly for the fights that exist within the One Piece universe. The pacing is slow because it's like real life, things happen and timing goes slow when dealing with an adventure.

It's recommended if you want to stop doing anime marathons and want to slow down. As long as you ignore everything else in your watch list, you'll see that One Piece had variety, so it's longevity and support makes sense.
Feb 7, 2023 2:00 PM

Feb 2021
Now I will be eaten here but I thought that one piece was going to be an amazing battle shounen that I was going to love… and what I got was a very disappointing battle shounen that I don’t particularly like ( or dislike ).
Feb 7, 2023 2:11 PM

Sep 2020
Thought Luffy would be a bad guy cuz pirates are meanie heads.
Feb 7, 2023 2:22 PM
Jan 2021
I really didnt know anything about ONE PIECE before I started watching it, so i had no opinion about it. I first saw it in some yt clips, and I only saw some random dudes wearing the same straw hat and it was really bothering me for not knowing anything about it. So one day I laid down and started watchig it.
Feb 7, 2023 2:45 PM
Apr 2022
After I finished Naruto + shippuden, I was looking for a new big anime to watch. I did some research in google and I saw the big 3 animes that they were famous and a lot people were watching them ( bleach,naruto,one piece) and my eye caught ONE PIECE. I got some info about that anime and I saw that anime had a lot episodes plus a lot watchers were watching it and I gave it a try. The One Piece world by so far is created really awesome , character developement every arc is noice including new powers , new things etc . One piece is a big anime by having a lot of episodes but i would recom it to a lot ppl. Trust me One Piece is the best adventure anime.
Feb 7, 2023 4:00 PM
Sep 2021
I avoided watching it for some reason, I wasn't that interested I guess lol. and when I first considered watching it, I thought it was too long
Feb 7, 2023 4:01 PM

Jan 2013
I thought it looked like trash, Luffy and his rubber band arms looked goofy as fuck, and it seemed kind of childish all around. lol
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Feb 7, 2023 4:08 PM

Dec 2021
My headspace before watching One Piece:

Isn't this that one anime 4Kids had dubbed for their channel? The one with the shitty rap OP? Ew. 1000+ episodes? Toei? Yuck. Almost certainly overhyped garbage, no way I'll watch it. God those antagonist character designs are UGLY!!!!

My headspace after getting 50~ episodes in (Subbed, not dubbed):

Curiosity got to me, so I watched some of it. It's good. Animation isn't that bad, but it's definitely not Toei's best work. I like it enough. God those antagonist character designs are UGLY!!!!
Daviljoe193Feb 7, 2023 4:11 PM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. ๐Ÿ™‚ But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Feb 7, 2023 5:34 PM
Mar 2021
had the same thinking with other commenter that it has poor art style which didn't attract me to watch. before i started watching OP, i kept ending up with some really sub-par quality anime and was kinda frustrated that good anime is few and far between. and since i heard so many good things about OP, i decided to watch it and see what's the hype ๐Ÿ˜†, and thus end up couldn't stopped watching it.
Feb 7, 2023 5:48 PM
Jan 2022
elderonn said:
Now I will be eaten here but I thought that one piece was going to be an amazing battle shounen that I was going to love… and what I got was a very disappointing battle shounen that I don’t particularly like ( or dislike ).

That’s fair! One piece is considered to be one of the best shonens in the anime community but of course it is not for everyone but at least you gave it a try.
Feb 7, 2023 6:37 PM
Oct 2021
Before I started I i thought I’d never watch it cuz it’s to long and it’s pointless to and it was over rated

I’m around 600 episodes in and it’s my fav anime ever
Feb 7, 2023 6:39 PM
Dec 2021
Gawdly said:
One Piece was one of my first anime so I didn’t have an opinion on it before. I was so new to anime that I used to think Saitama and Luffy were the same person. Anyways I started watching because my friends at school never shut up about one piece at the lunch table. Even the teacher started talking about one piece so I thought I should watch it.

Make sure you have a filler list with ya to save it in your tab
Feb 7, 2023 7:18 PM

Sep 2020
I discovered the manga when I was 10 or 11 in boarding school. My school only had up to the end of the Water 7 arc tho. I really enjoyed it as did most of my classmates who read it. I started watching One piece in the summer of 2017 or 18 when I moved to another country. I caught up sometime in 2020 or 2021 and the rest is history.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Feb 7, 2023 7:54 PM
Jul 2012
Originally I had seen it on 4kids, I think it was in Drum Island when I was younger, In 2014-2016 My friend kept bugging me to watch it, got to the Baby Back Arc and dropped it. I was like this kinda getting boring, it feels the same and nothing is happening. Gave it another shot. Rewatched it twice, on a 3rd rewatch with someone i got into the anime. Caught to the Manga, spoilers and all. I just think its hard get into sometimes but there is an amazing Journey that I have found with this series. Most of the community is great and watching so many content creators theorists is another way to enjoy the series. I just recommend if you are trying to get into. Do not rush avoid spoilers and go at your own pace and you will find a great read/watch. 1000 eps/ chapters is a lot but Oda crafted a great story so the Journey is Important. Sorry for any typos
Feb 7, 2023 8:05 PM

Dec 2021
I started watching One Piece almost a decade ago then dropped it, I read the Manga instead and binged the episodes by either skipping or watching in 2x
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Feb 7, 2023 8:19 PM
Mar 2022
Well I knew it was a masterpiece, like it was famous and one big 3, but after watching it, it crossed my all expectations with a very large gap, like I don't have words to describe it now.
And yeah I'm manga reader also so my opinion for anime and manga is same

Anime_avidFeb 7, 2023 8:22 PM
Feb 7, 2023 8:59 PM
Aug 2021
i had watched like 80 anime before op and saved op for last cause i believed op would be better than all the other anime i watched. I believed that because everyone i knew or saw on internet who had watched op, they ranked it in their top 3. Before watching op i was in the phase where i had no enthusiasm anymore to watch any anime so I had high hopes of op cause everyone who watched it on the internet spoke of it quite highly and i must say that i was not disappointed and it is one of the best piece of fiction i have watched or read.
Feb 7, 2023 9:08 PM
Jul 2021
One Piece is an old show and I thought it stopped a long time ago, then I realized it never stopped at all, so I got curious. I started watching One Piece a few years ago and I only stopped at ep 4 cuz I was overthinking about my time with other anime. Then I met this girl in a game named genshin impact and she was the one who got me motivated in watching One Piece. I realized the story so far is great regardless of the pacing, and I enjoy the fillers and stuff. It's like the type of long anime where you get hooked and binge watch it, and then you realize you came all the way without being pressured. It feels like home every time. I wouldn't watch One Piece if it wasn't for my friend and I am currently on hiatus at ep 526.
Feb 7, 2023 9:13 PM
Aug 2021
i am pretty much fantasy and supernatural powers freak thats why i started it.
Feb 7, 2023 9:14 PM
Nov 2021
Before I started watching One Piece I thought it was a good series, but I didn't want to watch it because it was too long for me. I started seeing it on the recommendation of a friend, but I still had doubts. But after I started, I fell in love with the story and its characters. I'm so happy I started seeing it and I don't regret. I am very grateful to that friend who got me into this world.
Feb 7, 2023 9:50 PM
Jan 2023
same ๐Ÿ˜„. i started watching one piece in an age where expectations didn't really exist. you kinda just found stuff and start watching them. there was no overhype . . . good times.
Feb 7, 2023 11:16 PM
Sep 2021
I had just gotten into anime and I overheard this boy in my 7th grade math class talking about One Piece and how it was a “boring show about pirates.” A few weeks later I was scrolling on Crunchyroll and saw it so I decided to give it a watch. I actually thought the first ep was really boring like he said. However, a few days later I got an overwhelming urge to give it a second chance and after that I was hooked! Its my all time favorite show and I’m a sophomore in college now. It feels like I’ve been watching for half my life, when it ends idk what I’ll do lol.
Feb 7, 2023 11:24 PM

Feb 2022
I never thought I would start watching Op as I thought it was very long and would be very tiresome but after watching it upto Ennies lobby i couldn't stop there and i continued to watch from there on
Feb 8, 2023 12:52 AM
Sep 2022
There was no reason i just wanted to watch it before i die but the main reason I started it on 30/9/2022 was because of a controversy between Youtubers in my country (INDIA) they said something like"you have to give your entire life to finish one piece(mainly bcuz of 1000+ eps)" something like this and some Youtubers of my country who have caught up to One Piece said "who are you to judge,you haven't even watch one ep of one piece don't spread hate towards one anime etc" something like this
yea this is the main reason I started watching it "I'll decide if a anime is good or bad" not some Youtubers
Information: some PPL might say which Youtuber was it.It was a podcast ( 4people)
Information no.2: started one piece at 30 sept 2022 and now I am on ep 637 no regrets

Thank you for reading this far and if there is grammatical mistakes please spare me and bye
Feb 8, 2023 2:13 AM
Sep 2022
My opinion: One Piece is a 10/10 and I'm at the episode 287.

Why did I started it: I saw a Chainsaw man edit in TikTok and someone commented 2nd best Anime, someone else wrote what's the best Anime then and he wrote One piece the other guy agreed yea and that's why.
Feb 8, 2023 2:55 AM
Jun 2021
I never gave too much thought before starting it and that's why I haven't been able to watch a single episode since episode 20

I hope I will catch up to it one day
Feb 8, 2023 3:01 AM
Jun 2021
CyberAkira said:
There was no reason i just wanted to watch it before i die but the main reason I started it on 30/9/2022 was because of a controversy between Youtubers in my country (INDIA) they said something like"you have to give your entire life to finish one piece(mainly bcuz of 1000+ eps)" something like this and some Youtubers of my country who have caught up to One Piece said "who are you to judge,you haven't even watch one ep of one piece don't spread hate towards one anime etc" something like this
yea this is the main reason I started watching it "I'll decide if a anime is good or bad" not some Youtubers
Information: some PPL might say which Youtuber was it.It was a podcast ( 4people)
Information no.2: started one piece at 30 sept 2022 and now I am on ep 637 no regrets

Thank you for reading this far and if there is grammatical mistakes please spare me and bye

That controversy was result of an immature OP fandom developing in India just like we had Naruto toxic fandom in the past

They got triggered just because they couldn't handle sarcasm
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1106 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 25

48 by nickehhhhhh »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

63 by nickehhhhhh »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1104 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 11

57 by nickehhhhhh »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1103 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 4

48 by nickehhhhhh »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

53 by nickehhhhhh »»
8 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.