Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 28, 2017 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
General Anime Discussion

Hey there peeps. The main idea behind this thread is for people to share their thoughts on anime they're currently watching or that they've finished recently. If you have any anime related questions as well then feel free to ask those here too.

Please be considerate of other people's opinions as well as spoilers :)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 28, 2017 1:30 PM

Jul 2016
Horray, I inspired a thread! That means I'm officially irreplaceable in this club whether you like it or not.

Guess I'll start then. Anyone else watching Sakura Quest?
(BTW @Halfsleeper, what's the anime screenshot you used there?)
Jun 28, 2017 1:52 PM
May 2017
@TheGreatMizuti I haven't seen Sakura Quest yet, but I'm definitely planning on it! I'll probably start it soon - not too soon though, I finished Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso like ten minutes ago and after that ending I'm an emotional wreck. I'm being forced into watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 next (courtesy of @Henna129 ) so I'll probably start it after that.

Who else has watched Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0?
Jun 28, 2017 1:54 PM

Jul 2016
nottheplan said:
@TheGreatMizuti I haven't seen Sakura Quest yet, but I'm definitely planning on it! I'll probably start it soon - not too soon though, I finished Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso like ten minutes ago and after that ending I'm an emotional wreck. I'm being forced into watching Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 next (courtesy of @Henna129 ) so I'll probably start it after that.

Who else has watched Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0?

Yes to the former, no to the latter. I thought it was pretty good, all things considered
Jun 28, 2017 2:13 PM

Jan 2009
@TheGreatMizuti It's Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. I tend to just google anime related images that come to mind that I feel are relevant for the thread regardless of whether I've seen the show or not, heh.
Jun 28, 2017 2:29 PM

Jul 2016
Halfsleeper said:
@TheGreatMizuti It's Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens. I tend to just google anime related images that come to mind that I feel are relevant for the thread regardless of whether I've seen the show or not, heh.

Thank you. I was just curious because it looked like a KyoAni show. I was dead wrong there.
Jun 28, 2017 4:19 PM

Apr 2015
@nottheplan Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso is one of my all time favourites. Though with it being about music, drama and romance that shouldn't surprise anyone haha. Easily one that will always stick with me, and I know exactly how you feel.

Jun 28, 2017 4:45 PM

Jul 2016
Sakura quest looks like my kind of slice of life, and Shigatsu wa kimi no uso looks just about right to be a favourite anime for me. I'll be watching both in good time since I'm yet to see either.
Jun 28, 2017 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
I recently watched Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, and that's not the usual kinda thing I like but I'm glad I tried it because damn, it was really cute! I mean seriously cute! :o
I remember it was raining here as well and I swear, those episodes with the rain just made life feel perfect.

Jun 29, 2017 2:27 AM

Jul 2016
TheBeetlehead said:
I recently watched Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon, and that's not the usual kinda thing I like but I'm glad I tried it because damn, it was really cute! I mean seriously cute! :o
I remember it was raining here as well and I swear, those episodes with the rain just made life feel perfect.

That was probably my favourite show from the last season. Any scene of the characters sat around enjoying life was automatically a favourite.
Jun 29, 2017 3:43 PM

Jul 2016
I just recently finished AoT s2 and Berserk 2017 , I also finished watching Detroit Metal City recently.
At the moment, I'm currently watching Hunter X Hunter , I'm around 45 episodes in and it's starting to get really good now.

I'm probably gonna pick up something shorter while I watch HxH , I'm thinking a comedy so I'm thinking Sakigake!! Cromartie Koukou. The episodes are only 12 minutes long so I can probably finish it over the weekend.
Jun 30, 2017 12:02 PM
Jul 2018
I've got to that point in the season where I have about 4 anime all with the final 2 episodes to watch and I don't finish them for ages. To be honest most of them are fluffy/slice of life anime but I'm really thoroughly enjoying Re:Creators from this season so I'm looking forward to another few months of that.

I started watching ID-0 out of curiosity. It's all CG and it's not great but it's nice to see an anime set in space for a change.

I definitely agree with the love for Dragon Maid and Sakura Quest. Really enjoying the comfy anime in the past few seasons. New Game 2 coming this season as well so I'm looking forward to more comfy :3
Jun 30, 2017 12:50 PM

Jan 2009
I haven't really followed seasonals for a long time unless they're shorts or episodic because I have trouble remembering what happened in early episodes. I also feel like it ruins the flow of watching for me compared to if I just wait and watch at my own pace. I do however understand the enjoyment and the discussion that people get out of following seasonals.

That being said I've been having burnout from anime in general for about a year now I think, not sure if I'd even call it burnout anymore but maybe feeling apathetic regardless of what it is that I'm watching.

Jun 30, 2017 2:14 PM

Jul 2016
Halfsleeper said:
I haven't really followed seasonals for a long time unless they're shorts or episodic because I have trouble remembering what happened in early episodes. I also feel like it ruins the flow of watching for me compared to if I just wait and watch at my own pace. I do however understand the enjoyment and the discussion that people get out of following seasonals.

That being said I've been having burnout from anime in general for about a year now I think, not sure if I'd even call it burnout anymore but maybe feeling apathetic regardless of what it is that I'm watching.

I can still see the argument. I've asked a few friends about this before and they say basically the same thing.
One of the reasons I ended up watching seasonals was because (at the pace I was consuming at the time) I would have run out of things to watch very quickly. It helps me make my PTW last longer. Though, I still only watch a show weekly if I can do that from the start. If I miss a show and the first few episodes are available but it's still coming out on a weekly schedule, I'll wait till the full thing is out. It's why I was late on March Comes in Like a Lion.
Jun 30, 2017 4:34 PM

May 2008
Halfsleeper said:

I had that exact burnout too. I inadvertently stopped watching anime for about 5 years. Only got back into it coz those five years seemed to reinvent my preferred genres somehow. Binging anime is always the best. But always manage to catch spoilers somehow, which is the downside :(

Jul 19, 2017 9:10 AM

Aug 2016
So I recently finished watching Charlotte. I was a little hesitant going into it as a common issue people seem to have with it was how poor, and rushed the ending apparently was.

Personally I disagree with that. I admit they did fit a lot of content into that last episode, but i didnt feel the ending was rushed. I thought it was a good conclusion to the series

I think it would have made the show better, though, if they had split the last episode into 2, maybe giving it better pacing, and expanding on a few plot points.

Overall though I really liked the series a lot. Thanks @Wood94 for getting me to watch it :D
Jul 19, 2017 11:00 AM

Jul 2016
After a bit of deliberation, I finally decided to take the plunge and watch the ever idolised Legend of the Galactic Heroes from 1988.

I've watched the first three episodes and am kind of surprised by how good it is. It didn't turn into another Evelyn (Eva-Lain) situation and I'm very thankful for it. It's 110 episodes long though so I'm gonna be on it for a while.
Jul 19, 2017 1:13 PM

Jan 2009
The last thing I watched was Sweetness & Lightning (Amaama to Inazuma). I wanted more actual parenting stuff and tackling the issues surrounding coping with the loss of the mother to be more in depth. I understood that the cooking was like a catalyst for that, but still wasn't touched on enough in my opinion. It is also indeed sweet and sugary like part of the title says, and a pleasant decent watch though. The main appeal here is probably Tsumugi herself and seeing her reactions and such.

TheGreatMizuti said:
After a bit of deliberation, I finally decided to take the plunge and watch the ever idolised Legend of the Galactic Heroes from 1988.

I've watched the first three episodes and am kind of surprised by how good it is. It didn't turn into another Evelyn (Eva-Lain) situation and I'm very thankful for it. It's 110 episodes long though so I'm gonna be on it for a while.

I personally watched Overture to a New War, which is an extended version of the first two episodes and My Conquest is the Sea of Stars before the main OVA. You can indeed just dive right into the main series anyway though.

I would advise not watching the previews if you're a viewer that does that since they can completely spoil the next episode. Same for not looking up stuff.

I honestly blasted through the whole series within a week when I watched it a few years ago. It really does get better with each each arc (not being a person that typically says that). I also watched the Laserdisc version since the BDs/DVDs have these redrawn scenes that I think clashes in my opinion. It switches back and forth between animation.

It's one of my favourite anime and has it's flaws especially to do with a certain group (avoiding going into spoiler territory) I think it was more one sided than I would of liked with that perceptive.

It's an excellent and memorable watch I feel and quite the journey so I hope you can continue to enjoy :)
HalfsleeperJul 19, 2017 1:37 PM
Jul 19, 2017 1:59 PM

Jul 2016
Halfsleeper said:

TheGreatMizuti said:

I honestly blasted through the whole series within a week when I watched it a few years ago. It really does get better with each each arc (not being a person that typically says that). I also watched the Laserdisc version since the BDs/DVDs have these redrawn scenes that I think clashes in my opinion. It switches back and forth between animation.

What parallel universe were you living in that you can finish a 100+ episode show in a week. Give ME some of that free time
Jul 20, 2017 10:48 AM
Nov 2016
I've recently just finished Guilty Crown a couple of weeks back. One episode had left me drained however.
Aug 7, 2017 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
How is everyone finding the current airing anime season?

Or

What are you watching right now?

I'm enjoying this season personally. All the anime I'm watching are keeping me entertained.

Fate Apocrypha and New Game!! are borderline 7/10 for me right now but I'm really impressed with Princess Principal and Made in Abyss. They are really very pretty to watch and I love the Steampunk and Fantasy worlds both anime are set in. Princess Principal had some quite dark themes that I wasn't quite expecting though.

I need to catch up on Sakura Quest as I've lagged behind it by a few weeks but probably my favourite of the 2 cour anime is Re:Creators. It's nothing "new" as such but it's a pretty good action anime with one noticeably great comedy re-cap episode.

EDIT: I'm also watching SAO for the first time and whilst I see many of the flaws people hate it's okay so far. Asuna is really cute :3
Aug 7, 2017 12:15 PM

Jul 2016
There are a few leftovers from the last season that I'm still watching. Those being Sakura Quest, Re:Creators and My Hero Academia Season 2.

For the new season, I've dropped a whole lot (to no one's surprise) but there are a ton of good shows this season worth watching. PearDrops already mentioned Princess Principal and Made in Abyss (my pick for anime of the year so far) but I'm also going to add Restaurant to Another World, Tsurezure Children, Fastest Finger First, Shoukoku no Altair, Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu, The Reflection (If Made in Abyss is my anime of the year, The Reflection is anime of the season and it should not be this low rated) and finally Welcome to the Ballroom

I'm also watching one or two others but I don't think they're good enough to recommend.
Aug 11, 2017 6:07 AM

Jun 2016
While I'm sat at work ignoring all my E-mails and waiting to go home i may as well give my opinion of the animu I'm watching season.

Katsugeki / Touken Ranbu - this one doesn't have a lot going for it other than it being very pretty to look at. I imagine its more enjoyable if your a bit of a history buff. I like the character designs though and as the animation, which to be honest is the only reason I wanted to watch it, uftoable and all.

Sakura Quest - Still enjoying this one, I look forward to each episode. I think I like it because its adults doing a job' albeit it cute adults. But yeah its a nice relaxing one to watch.

Re:Creators - No idea where this show is heading for as its an original, which I really like. I like the aspect that its characters in our world as opposed to the standard formula of sending an MC into a different world.

Koi to Uso - I think this one is ok, not a lot has happened in the show story wise other than typical love triangle stuff, I'm pretty sure it will have a "read the manga" ending but I can enjoy it as a series, its a fine watch once you get past the giant eyes. OP is good too.

Tsurezure children - Basically a bunch of skits following a number of couples in school, its ok, I only really like 2 of the couple's it follows, as for the rest in not really sure what's going on, it pretty much tries to squeeze every trope under the sun into the 15 minute episodes.

A-ho Girl - another 15 minute short with a bunch of skits following an idiotic girl and an MC amongst other characters. Id be lying if I said I don't laugh at this one though. I wish the characters would shout less though.

kakegurui - this is what I'm probably enjoying most this season, its so over the top and ridiculous. Its basically like prison school(which I hated) but better. I'm sad that its only 12 episodes and will likely get a "read the manga" ending but I'll probably pick the manga up at some point. It's worth it just for the faces they pull when they lose.

I will edit this post later and add the other 6 or 7 I'm watching, should probably get on and do some work...

Aug 13, 2017 2:30 AM

Jul 2016
I'm just catastrophically behind on seasonals. When I'm in the right mood to watch anime atm, I either have something else that I need to do, or I sit down intending to watch a show but end up playing a game or joining a voice chat in discord. That said I have at least kept up with Boku no Hero which continues to deliver and is only getting better, as well as Hajimete no Gal. I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy it. I guess it's a show with an premise so trashy, that it immediately becomes harmless in my mind and I can just switch off to watch it. Aside from that it knows exactly what it is and plays to it, has just one or two quirks to make it at least a little different from any other ecchi harem, and a moderately decent sense of humour from time to time. Other shows that I want to catch up to are Kakegurui, Katsugeki / Touken Ranbu, Classroom of the Elite, Tsuredzure Children and Aho Girl. Maybe I need to organise my days better.
Sep 8, 2017 10:51 AM
Jul 2018
Thought I'd share a little video from Youtube about original anime production in the current market, most specifically concerning Studio 3Hz and their current airing Princess Principal.

The guy goes into explaining the key members behind the studio and the people trying to create original anime works in the current era. I found it quite interesting and I'm already a fan of this studio, so here it is if anyone wants to check it out.

Sep 8, 2017 12:03 PM

Jul 2016
@PearDrops Saw this one in my subscriptions this morning. Pedantic's videos are getting really good.

If anyone wants I can list off a few other creators with similar styles
Digibro (and his other channels)
Explanation Point (he's a great singer)
Super Eyepatch Wolf (I recommend his Simpsons video)
Uniquenameosaurus (Seemingly the only anime analysis channel that acknowledges the existence of RWBY)
Sep 8, 2017 12:25 PM
Jul 2018
@TheGreatMizuti Actually that's a great idea.

If anyone else has some site recommendations / Youtube channels they want to suggest please go ahead. I already subscribe to quite a few but Super Eyepatch Wolf looks like a channel I might check out. Thanks for that.

Some more Youtubers:
Glass Reflections (Casual Anime Reviews)
Gigguk (Anime Parodies / Comedy reviewer)

In-depth reviews / essays on Anime:
Under The Scope
Anime Everyday
The Canipa Effect

Youtube Podcasts:
Anime Addicts Anonymous (Also on most Android podcast apps IIRC)
Reddit Anime Podcast
Sep 8, 2017 1:06 PM

Apr 2015
Some great channels listed here @TheGreatMizuti @PearDrops. I can't wait to delve into all of these channels ive never heard of!

For analysis/in-depth reviews, I love RCAnimes videos.

Sep 10, 2017 7:19 AM

Jul 2016
She's more of a gaming channel and the upload schedule for her anime news vids tends to be inconsistent but I really like Dodger's segments and her channel in general's pretty great.
Sep 13, 2017 5:14 AM
Jul 2018
Probably old news but I just heard Made in Abyss is getting a 1 hour special as its final episode.

I absolutely adore this show's style and world building. It reminds me of the 80's/90's Ghibli fantasy films so I can't wait to see how it plays out.

Getting close to the end of the season and this is certainly my favourite anime of this season. Re;Creators is looking strong towards the end as well and I've been really enjoying Princess Principal and Gamers (never thought I'd be seeing a PUBG reference in anime). All in all it's been a good season for my tastes.
Sep 13, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2016
I've had a lot of fun with this season to. Made in Abyss is also my favourite and Re;Creators is still great (the finale of both are gonna kill me)

I think my favourite part in Abyss has got to be the wildlife and how much imagination was put into designing all the animals.
I'm also having a lot of fun with Princess Principal but I don't think it's really as good as everyone else, but that's just me. As always, I highly recommend Sakura Quest because it's beautiful and the only show this season to make me cry. Even the newest Made in Abyss episode didn't manage that.
Sep 13, 2017 10:29 AM
Jul 2018
@TheGreatMizuti Sakura Quest is great for sure. What part of it got you emotional if you don't mind my asking?

I'm still catching up on it but I really like the character building. The episode with Ririko's song at the end was beautiful. Her little arc is probably my favourite, but the personal struggles all the girls deal with are entertaining in their own way.

The only moment to bring a tear to my eye this season though was the end of episode one where the pit is finally revealed. The music and art was breathtaking, I can't wait to get the soundtrack for this anime.
Sep 13, 2017 11:09 AM

Jul 2016
@PearDrops It was the reunion scene at the end of episode 22, between the café owner and her son. I think it's because it's a lot more grounded in reality than the other emotional scenes these past few weeks
Sep 20, 2017 2:24 AM
Jul 2018
Here is the Fall 2017 AniChart for anyone trying to decide what to pick up next season:

http://anichart.net/Fall-2017

I'm going to check out Inurashiki, Houseki no Kuni, Vanishing Line, Food Wars Season 3 (for 3 episodes at least) and I'm really curious about the new White Fox anime Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou.

Heaven's Feel first film is out in Japan around October IIRC so that is something I can't wait for. Ufotable and Yuki Kajiura is a combination I get excited for ever since Kara no Kyoukai. Really loving the soundtrack she's done on Princess Principal but if the Heaven's Feel movie has anything like her other Type Moon soundtracks then I am super hyped for these films.

Has anyone picked anything out already that looks interesting/worth checking out?
Sep 20, 2017 3:58 PM

Aug 2015
PearDrops said:
Here is the Fall 2017 AniChart for anyone trying to decide what to pick up next season:

http://anichart.net/Fall-2017

I'm going to check out Inurashiki, Houseki no Kuni, Vanishing Line, Food Wars Season 3 (for 3 episodes at least) and I'm really curious about the new White Fox anime Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou.

Heaven's Feel first film is out in Japan around October IIRC so that is something I can't wait for. Ufotable and Yuki Kajiura is a combination I get excited for ever since Kara no Kyoukai. Really loving the soundtrack she's done on Princess Principal but if the Heaven's Feel movie has anything like her other Type Moon soundtracks then I am super hyped for these films.

Has anyone picked anything out already that looks interesting/worth checking out?

Thanks for the link!

I'll check them all out soon. The only one I've got my eye on already is Mahoutsukai no Yome, there's a 3 episode OVA out already which was really promising.

Sep 21, 2017 2:35 PM

Jul 2016
I finally decided to sit down and look through the next season, and I've decided to be a little more conservative this time than I was with the last one. I've definitely put a lot on my PTW, but I'll just list here the one's I'm most interested in.
Just Because doesn't seem to have very much going for it storywise but the animation looks absolutely gorgeous.
3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season because why wouldn't I be, I love this series.
Kino's Journey: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series because it seems like the weekly relaxation happiness show that every season needs.
Children of the Whales because the art looks interesting.
Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou out of sheer curiosity.
RoboMasters the Animated Series because the premise has a lot of interesting possibilities it could go in.

Finally, the one I'm most interested in is Juuni Taisen. When I saw the PV for this, I thought the animation reminded me of something. I scoured my list and realised it was Occultic;Nine, which is good because I considered O;N to be one of the best looking shows of last year. It's also by the same studio who made Hellsing Ultimate, so that explains the character designs. However the biggest shocks came when I read the staff list. It's an original story by Nisio Isin (the creator of the Monogatari series) and directed by someone who's worked on Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Re:Zero, among other things. So as you can imagine this show has a very good pedigree and could be this season's sleeper hit. It's either going to be really amazing or really terrible, there is no inbetween.

Lastly, I thought I'd make a quick list of shows I recommend avoiding for one reason or another. Code:Realise is about a bunch of famous novel characters fighting. I think someone saw Bungou Stray Dogs and tried to copy it. Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru: Washio Sumi no Shou. It's the exact same show every season just with a different name and their all completely soulless.
These last two are kind of funny in their own way, because their complete rip offs of shows that have already aired this year. Imouto sae Ireba Ii. is Eromanga Sensei again. A big brother little sister making otaku books together and they both secretly want to bang each other (If you weren't convinced already, the little sister even has the exact same hair as the one in Eromanga). The other is My Girlfriend is a ShoBitch, which has the exact same premise and characters as LAST SEASON'S Hajimete no Gal. I find it kind of hilarious that because it's only one season apart,Hajimete will end right as it's clone begins, so you might as well consider it Hajimete's second cour.

Anyway, that's my season contribution next. Can't wait to see what I can write about for next season.
Oct 5, 2017 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
For anyone looking to check out the Fall season airing channels/dates:

Fall 2017 Simulcast List

Oct 22, 2017 10:07 AM
Jul 2018
How is everyone finding the current anime season?

Have you watched anything else recently?

I've started a few of the current airing shows (of which The Ancient Magus' Bride is my favourite so far). I'm still way behind on a few leftovers from last season and I started Barakamon after seeing some like-minded anime fans rating it quite highly.

BluRay orders should be coming out in the next month or so for Your Name so really can't wait to rewatch that (^_^)
Oct 22, 2017 11:27 AM

Jul 2016
Out of everything I've watched so far, my favourite shows are definitely The Ancient Magus Bride (I think me and @PearDrops have pretty much the same opinion on it), Girl's Last Tour and 3-gatsu no Lion Second Season. Also, special mentions to Children of the Whales and Just Because! for being some of the best looking shows this season.

Oct 22, 2017 3:06 PM

Aug 2016
Anyone who has spoken to me recently will know I haven't shut up about Ancient Magus Bride since it started airing. I've been looking forward to it since it was first announced.

I instantly fell in love with it after watching the OVAs. Everything about it just appeals to me. The characters so far are great, with emotional backstories, which i'm a big sucker for. Amazing visuals and OST as well, I had the OVAs ED on repeat for quite a while after I watched it. But I think the biggest thing that drew me in was the charming, fairytale-like world, reminiscent of Ghibli's works, especially Spirited away. This isn't just my "anime of the season" or my "anime of the year" it's quickly becoming one of my favourite anime.
Oct 28, 2017 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
Great news for fans some of the Summer fan favourites for those who enjoy owning anime at home... MVM have managed to get some rights for sale of some exciting Anime including Made in Abyss (^_^)

Link to the article on ANN: Here

Link to MVM UK Twitter: Here
Nov 6, 2017 12:26 PM

Jun 2016
This is where I will share my opinion on all the seasonals i'm watching.

I will keep each breif, because well, who likes a wall text?

Animegataris
Basically a really meta series about anime characters who start an anime club. Unironically made in China.
+ Makes fun of all the tropes & explains the 3 episode rule on the 3rd episode
- Cast isn't really likable and nothing has really happened. Relies on references too much.

Ballroom E Youkoso
Strictly come dancing: The animation.
+ The artstyle is different and has a cast developed enough to like
- Follows a conventional sports anime storyline.

Blend S
Cute girls doing cafe things. Well animated
+ It's cute girls. Plus they make fun of archetypes.
- Males in the cast. Repetitive humour. Moeverload.

Fate Apocrypha
People continue to die when they are killed. I feel like watching this airing has hindered my enjoyment.
+ Solid story & soundtrack. Plus it has Jeanne D'Arc
- Visually inadequate to UBW & Zero but continues to try to compare

Imouto sae Ireba Ii
Story about Young adults. Absolutely not an Ero-manga sensei clone.
+ Makes some subtle references, like the figures in episode 1(later explained).
- Little sister jokes. Sometime tries to do more skits than story.

Just Because
An anime original that doesn't really seem to have any direction. But I could be wrong.
+ Set after entrance exams. As @TheGreatMizuti says, it has a great colour pallete
- sometimes feels underanimated, characters all feel very deflated at times.

Juuni Taisen
Generic murder game anime but done better than most. It is underappreciated.
+ 2.5D animation done right, memorable cast and good fight scenes.
- If I had to pick, following a very repetitive formula, but that may change

Konohana Kitan
Cute fox girls running an onsen, nothing wrong with that.
+ It's just cute girls doing cute things, nothing too serious.
- Too many loli characters.

Ancient Magus Bride
Contender for best anime of the year most likely. Mysterious mage meets girl.
+ Beautifully animated, great soundtrack, memorable characters. good pacing & balance between comedy & drama
- Relies heavily on atmosphere & animation, hopefully neither drop in quality over the course of the series

Net-juu no susume
Underappreciated light hearted comedy about working or nonworking adults.
+ Entertaining and makes me laugh without making me cringe, relateble in a way.
- Only 10 episodes, slow pacing.

Omiai Aite wa Oshiego, Tsuyoki na, Mondaiji.
Basically A hentai. But it's 3 minutes long so I see no point in not watching it
+ None
- A hentai

Osake wa Fuufu ni Natte kara
Cute short anime about an alcoholic lady who likes a drink
+ Waifu & Husbando material in one series, mildly educational in a way.
- only 3 minutes long.

Ousama Game The Animation
It's B class murder game made by a studio who specialises in hentai.
+ It knows what it is
- Can't really tell if somethings a flashback or not.

Two Car
Girls on motorbikes, I cannot complain. May have an incredibly niche target audience like GuP
+ Relationships between characters are the focal point, not the racing, well enough animated.
- Extremely large cast, pointless fanservice.

Violet Evergarden
I will say nothing, I just like reminding people I've seen the first episode.

Nov 16, 2017 4:30 AM

Apr 2015
So for those who have seen Fireworks, Should We See it from the Side or the Bottom?, I just fancy talking about it. It's all spoilery and obviously my opinion and this is in no way a critical review.

(I am so sorry this is so long)

Just went to edit this and accidentally deleted your post @PearDrops, so sorry :(
Wood94Nov 16, 2017 4:38 AM

Nov 16, 2017 5:33 AM
Jul 2018

Nov 16, 2017 10:49 AM

Apr 2015
That gif! @PearDrops you have outdone yourself, though I now feel even worse when you use K-On against me xD

Nov 18, 2017 11:46 AM

Jun 2016
@Wood94

Dec 1, 2017 10:06 AM

Aug 2016
For anyone who's thinking of watching Ancient Magus Bride from this season, Gigguk just uploaded a video about it. I have absolutely fallen in love with the series, but have struggled to put into words exactly what it is about it. Gigguk explains it better than I ever could. Might be worth a watch for anyone who's still on the fence about it.

Video has some spoils for episode 3, but they arent anything that will spoil the main plot, it was mostly a standalone episode.

Dec 1, 2017 11:18 AM
Nov 2017
Because I haven't talked about it enough, and I don't think enough people are talking about it; I'm going to yell about the second season of March comes in like a lion.

IT'S AMAZING.

I was worried that the quality might decrease in the second season, after the first season was so good, and I didn't think it was possible for it to be better. However it is so much better than the first season. It's been focusing very much on bullying and the school system this season, which I found unexpected but a pleasant turn for the show. I also love the take on an unconventional family unit, which the main character really needs. He seems to be getting better with his own issues, which I can heavily relate to, and focusing on those around him now, which shows steps towards recovery.

I won't say much more, other than GO WATCH IT. If you haven't seen the first season, then the slow pacing is worth it. I won't deny that I've cried multiple times watching this show.

Also: Net-Juu is cute, Ballroom is my favourite sports anime I've seen until now, and I need to catch up on Kino.
Go watch March comes in like a lion. It made me cry a lot.

Dec 1, 2017 11:56 AM

Jul 2016
I'm gonna try and sum up all the seasonals I'm watching right now in as short amount of time as I can. There's only 11 so it shouldn't be that long

Welcome to the Ballroom - Not bad per-se but I think it has a lot of things that keep it from being great, like the animation (there isn't any)

Children of the Whales - Visually gorgeous and with beautiful OP and ED songs, but a bit disappointing in terms of plot

Juui Taisen - The first show this season I think is actually great. It's an actual battle royale with no main character with plot armour. My bet's on Rat for the winner

Just Because - A fairly straightforward high school romance, but with a gorgeous colour palette and clever incorporation of the internet into it's story

Inuyashiki - A really clever idea for a sci-fi concept. I think it's one of the contenders for anime of the season and I'm intrigued to see where it goes next

Girl's Last Tour - I love the blazé sense of optimism this show has, and the characters play and setting play off each other extremely well. If it weren't for one other show, this would be my pick for Anime of the Season

Kino's Journey - Kind of dull, but not that bad. I haven't seen the original yet but I get the feeling I'll like that version more

March Comes in Like a Lion 2nd Season - A sequel to one of my favourite anime of all time? Yes please. Other than that, what can I say that @PastelBecky hasn't already?

The Ancient Magus Bride - This is Anime of the Season, no debate. Gigguk covers most of what could be said in his video, as does Mother's Basement in his, but I feel I have a very personal connection to the setting of this series (no it's not just because Britian) that is too long to get into here. I just love it

Kekkai Sensen and Beyond - A lot like March, this is the prefect sequel to one of my favourite series. It's also my pick for ED of the season (that's a thing right?)

Anime-Gataris - Eh... It's alright. I think I'm just watching it out of curiosity. What will they parody next? What's the deal with the room and the beret?
Dec 4, 2017 4:24 AM

Apr 2015
Just browsing anime news as per usual, and I see a feature on the dub of Mary and the Witch's Flower. What interests me is the main cast all seem to be British. This got me thinking; Are there any other British dubbed anime?

I know some anime have had featured the odd British actor, but this seems to be predominately British cast.

My biggest excitement though is hearing Jim Broadbent is in an anime. I can now die in peace.
Wood94Dec 4, 2017 4:28 AM

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Introductions Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 3, 2016

1052 by LewisR8 »»
Jul 28, 2022 3:59 AM

» [Game] Have You Seen The Anime Above? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 5, 2016

793 by Kawwwa »»
Apr 5, 2020 1:28 AM

» [Game] This or That? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jun 1, 2016

611 by Renn »»
Feb 9, 2020 1:06 PM

» [Game] Rate the Anime Song! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Apr 5, 2016

619 by Renn »»
Feb 9, 2020 12:59 PM

» [Game] Anime Screenshot Guessing Game ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jun 25, 2016

1712 by earnshaw30 »»
Jan 12, 2020 1:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.