Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 19, 2009 7:19 PM

Aug 2006
Yup. There's been a lot of "musical" discussions lately, especially in the Member Spotlights. So I thought it would be appropriate to start a thread about what else... some of our favorite music.

You can add you-tube links or imbeds for songs you really want us to hear. I'd love to see what you all love.

No rules to this thread. Just tell us... or show us what you like on your MP3 player... or in your cd player (for those of us, like me, that haven't gotten with the times yet).

OrlahEhontasJul 20, 2012 7:14 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 19, 2009 7:23 PM

Aug 2006
And of course, I'm going to start it.

I LOVE country music (and classic rock). Believe it or not, it was actually my daughter that got me hooked on country, instead of the other way around.

But of all the country artists out there, my absolute favorite is Keith Urban, which is actually a little strange, considering that instead of a southerner, he's actually Australian. (Damn, but Nicole Kidman is one lucky b****... oops... nevermind).

Here he is, singing my favorite of his:

Keith Urban, Tonight I Wanna Cry

Sorry, it won't let me imbed this video, but you have to check it out. Not only is his voice absolutely beautiful and haunting in this song, but so is he!! *swoon*
Oct 19, 2009 8:25 PM

Apr 2009
Let's see, I have a bunch of this

My Favorite song by Maximum the Hormone

One of my favorite from Infected Mushroom

The first hit from my favorite band Yello

And a few more from Yello

Some of my favorite Vocaloid stuff

And my own attempts at Vocaloid music (still in the experimental stages)

And other randomness

That's all I've got for now.
Oct 19, 2009 8:38 PM

Sep 2009
I've always felt that Yello's "Of Course I'm Lying" was one of the most beautiful songs ever written, fringing on deep hidden meaning, while still leaving it open to each one's own interpretation.

and a fantastic video, if only they would release a domestic DVD collection
Oct 19, 2009 8:45 PM

Sep 2009
@Chelle, I wont tell you the number of times I've met Keith Urban... ;-)

as far a country goes, I like a decent amount of it... but typically take to more traditional and older artists. and as a song writer, it really doesn't get any better than Rodney Crowell
Oct 19, 2009 8:50 PM

Apr 2009
I find it interesting that Tiger Dust appears in the Virtual Concert for Touch Yello, but isn't actually on that album. The song itself is from The Eye. "Of Course I'm Lying" has always been one of my favorites. I think I still have my copy of Flag from when it was released, though I doubt it could be played in a CD player anymore. Before the advent of MP3s, I had a tendency to wear them out.
Oct 19, 2009 8:51 PM

Feb 2009
My favorie is from a Korean raper named Tasha, who unlike the vast majority of rappers, esp. Asian rappers, actually has skills:

Oct 19, 2009 8:54 PM

Apr 2009
As for country, the closest I got to liking country was Patsy Cline. So here's a Vocaloid interperetation of Crazy :p

Oct 19, 2009 9:04 PM

Sep 2009
@Krimson... you left out one of my fave Yello video's (and song)

with lyrics like: Visiting your planet for a few thousand days.. Nothing to hide, no reason to stay.. Breathless at the end of my run, it all ends where it begun

who could not like it ;-)

@Arnoldk... I've heard a few other tracks w/ Tasha.. she's very cool.
Oct 20, 2009 12:54 AM

Mar 2009
Never been a great fan of country music probably because we do not get to much exposure to it here but have always liked to listen to Johnny Cash and thought I would share one of his finest last covers. R.I.P

Another song that touches me is Youssou N'Dour featuring Neneh Cherry - 7 Seconds

And a track from my favorite album

The Psychedelic Furs - India

Thumbs up to my Last.Fm friends and especially the Laibach video

Nice thread Chelle - I will be terrorising this thread with more of my - lets say unusal taste soon

Shameless plug signature The Shorts Club

Oct 20, 2009 4:34 AM

Aug 2006
eta: Jusenkyo, I'm so jealous. Next time you meet him, give him a big, wet, sloppy kiss from me. ^_^

Even though I love country, I'm not a huge fan of the "classic" country. I think I like so much of the newer country because it sounds so much more like classic southern rock than country.

I've never been a Johnny Cash fan, or Hank Williams, etc. But I absolutely love the new stuff out there.

Here's another one of my favorite country singers. This guy has some great "humorous" songs. Here's one of his funniest:

ChelleOct 20, 2009 4:54 AM
Oct 20, 2009 5:35 AM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
Nice thread Chelle - I will be terrorising this thread with more of my - lets say unusal taste soon

Can't help but wonder if Chelle really knew what she was getting into by starting this thread ;-)

as soon as I get some free time, I'll be terrorizing this thread along w/ you slender...

until then, I'll leave you with this...

a beautiful, classic underground club hit from the mid-eighties. this song helped sculpt my musical tastes into what they are today :-)
Oct 20, 2009 10:38 AM

Apr 2009
slenderfall said:
Thumbs up to my Last.Fm friends and especially the Laibach video

Thanks, I went through a bit of a Laibach phase a little while back. A personal favorite of mine

War - and it actually tells you what war is good for!

And the perrenial favorite

Oh and my last.fm profile for whomever is interested.
Oct 20, 2009 11:55 AM

Mar 2009
And I have just discovered Laibach are playong London in December

Well since we are on an industrial tip here is those lovely fellas Front 242 - Headhunter

..and one of my favorite british funk tracks of all time

A Certain Ratio - Knife Slits Water

Oct 20, 2009 12:07 PM

Feb 2009
The whole sound track to Air TV and the closing of Gunslinger Girls.

Sure I like mainstream music, but, I won't loop a song from Rush no matter how long I have enjoyed listening to Canada's premire rock band.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Oct 20, 2009 12:12 PM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
one of my favorite british funk tracks of all time

A Certain Ratio - Knife Slits Water
Great choice!

I like that you didn't immidiately list Do The Du, while it's a fantastic track... it's a bit overplayed. just seems everytime someone refers to A Certain Ratio, it's always The Du ;-)
Oct 20, 2009 12:27 PM

May 2008
ok guilty pleasure time :P

kateykayyOct 20, 2009 12:33 PM
Oct 20, 2009 12:34 PM

Mar 2009
Well it always has been my favorite ACR track and remember hearing it for the first time and could not wait to rush down to town to buy it- Shak up is another over played one too

and now for something completely different

Fire Engines - Candy Skin

Oct 20, 2009 1:08 PM

Dec 2008
OOkeeay, yep, that was different.

I prefer something a little more traditional, like the following:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq69l32DCKs

Or this:
OrlahEhontasOct 20, 2009 1:13 PM
Oct 20, 2009 4:39 PM

Sep 2009
Chelle said:
a thread about what else... some of our favorite music.

As far as obsessions go… it was music, loooooong before it was ever Anime! From my first purchase, the 1979 Trying to Love Two Women 7” from The Oak Ridge Boys.. to the fact that I still go out of my way to buy vinyl releases these days. I’m actually wondering how any of us could ever really answer this without feeling the unending urge to keep blurting out the names of more and more musicians? I am not even sure that I have enough space for the answer. Thought at first I would try to block my answers by musical style or type, but so many artists span many genres so I guess I’ll just list as many artists as I can think of all lumped together, just like the great musical stew that they all are...

well hear goes:

...At this point, having decided to stop, I feel horrible knowing I have left out thousands upon thousands of other deserving artists... ah well, such is life.. I’m sure you get the picture ;-)

I’ll leave you with this, a beautiful song from a fantastic band I was listening to on the way home from work today.
Oct 20, 2009 4:53 PM

Aug 2006
Here's Keith Anderson singin' about the kinda guy I like. ^_~

**swoons some more**

eta: Damn youtube and their imbedding restrictions... grrrrr
Oct 20, 2009 5:00 PM

Mar 2009
@J_Guide

You are very brave to make that list - I would not even think of thinking to start a list like that -

Interesting you put Alien Sex Fiend on as I used share a squat with Mr and Mrs Fiend and played some gigs with them in my own band - I was a freind of Razzle from Hanoi Rocks who sadly past away but thats how I hooked up with them - wild times aplenty but that is another story

Plus I have connections with Juno Reactor again another story

So the ones you have missed out are...... :P

Oct 20, 2009 5:03 PM

Mar 2009
Chelle said:

What restrictions - I never realised there was any

Oct 20, 2009 5:06 PM

Aug 2009
I love Abingdon Boys School. First heard them when they did the opening for Darker Than Black called Howling. Started to watch all of their other videos on You Tube and was hooked instantly!
Oct 20, 2009 5:10 PM

Sep 2009
slenderfall said:
I used share a squat with Mr and Mrs Fiend - wild times aplenty but that is another story

you sharing living quarters with Mr. and Mrs. Fiend I'm sure make for some very wild stories I'd love to hear... ;-)

for those of you wondering just what kind of stories those would be and or who Mr. and Mrs. Fiend of Alien Sex Fiend are... here ya go :-D
Oct 20, 2009 5:11 PM

Mar 2009
sephirothluver said:
I love Abingdon Boys School. First heard them when they did the opening for Darker Than Black called Howling. Started to watch all of their other videos on You Tube and was hooked instantly!

That is a good OP and a fine series as well

Oct 20, 2009 5:13 PM

Sep 2009
Chelle said:
Here's Keith Anderson singin' about the kinda guy I like. ^_~

I love that song actually... :-)

btw, the only restrictions are video's that will state "embedding disabled" to the right of the vid on youtube... if you see that, just back out and find another video... there's usually more than one
Oct 20, 2009 5:15 PM

Mar 2009
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
slenderfall said:
I used share a squat with Mr and Mrs Fiend - wild times aplenty but that is another story

you sharing living quarters with Mr. and Mrs. Fiend I'm sure make for some very wild stories I'd love to hear... ;-)

for those of you wondering just what kind of stories those would be and or who Mr. and Mrs. Fiend of Alien Sex Fiend are... here ya go :-D

That is something that I would definatly not be allowed to write on any public forum - *blushes*

Oct 20, 2009 6:07 PM

Aug 2006
Jusenkyo_Guide said:
btw, the only restrictions are video's that will state "embedding disabled" to the right of the vid on youtube... if you see that, just back out and find another video... there's usually more than one

Yeah. I just prefer the "official videos" over the fan-made ones. LOL. Those usually have embedding restrictions. >.<

Now, here's another Brad Paisley song, that I think we can ALL relate to. ^_~
Everyone... sing along!! *snicker*
Oct 20, 2009 6:12 PM

Sep 2008
Thread needs more Metal. ;-)

Death Angel

Oct 20, 2009 9:43 PM

Apr 2009
AccipiterF1 said:

Oct 21, 2009 1:44 AM

Dec 2008
Well, this thread could sure use some Pink Lady! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkz95LPHx0g

May the DESU be with you! Always!
Oct 21, 2009 2:37 AM

Dec 2008
Sounds something like the theme to Cutey Honey Flash!
Oct 21, 2009 3:08 AM

Mar 2009
AccipiterF1 said:

Well sorry I could not resist here is a band who play metal

Test Department live at Cannon Street Station - a gig I actually went to on my birthady in the 80's - Incedentally all profits went towards the mimers who were on strike at the time

Oct 21, 2009 4:10 AM

Dec 2008
How do you tell if a mime goes on strike, and does anyone really care? Just kidding. We have some of those type of groups over here in the States as well and they are different.

And having said that, I'll sign off for a few hours with a nice quiet retrospective.

'Night all!
Oct 21, 2009 4:52 AM

Mar 2009
OrlahEhontas said:
How do you tell if a mime goes on strike, and does anyone really care? Just kidding.!

I really should put my reading glasses on when I type :)

Oct 21, 2009 5:13 AM

Aug 2006
OMG, Orlah!! I ♥ Gordon Lightfoot!! *closes eyes and listens*

This man is a Guitar God!! Here's one of my faves by him

Oct 21, 2009 6:19 AM

Mar 2009
Ok another one of my top tracks of all time - I probably have played this or differnt remixes of the original every week for the past 10 years - how time flies

Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar (Michael Woods Chillout Mix)

Oct 21, 2009 9:00 AM

May 2008
Chelle said:
This man is a Guitar God!! Here's one of my faves by him

I LOVE Clapton; he IS a god! i have this song on my ipod (and tears in heaven) =]
Oct 21, 2009 12:20 PM

Sep 2008
In 1990 I saw Clapton live during a torrential downpour while having a case of flu. After the show I was feeling so dreadful that I asked my girlfriend if she wouldn't rather drive, but all she had was a learner's permit, and we weren't in our home State, so she refused. And I had to drive back 100 miles or so, delirious with fever to the point of near hallucination, and somehow surviving that spent most of the next day practically comatose. Great show, though.

Anyway Krimson, I see your Voivod, and raise you some White Zombie:

Thunderkiss '65 - Embedding disabled by request

More Human Than Human - Embedding disabled by request

Oct 21, 2009 12:45 PM

Sep 2009
@Orlah & Chelle, love Gordon!!! Other than the obvious Sundown & Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald… which while overplayed a bit are still classics! I also love Canadian Railroad Trilogy :-)

slenderfall said:
Energy 52 - Cafe Del Mar

Great track Slender…. Cosmic Baby is Fantastic!!!

Also great Test Dept. vid!
Oct 21, 2009 4:53 PM

Aug 2006
Would have loved to have had this man's "big-lipped babies" back in the day:

Oct 21, 2009 7:42 PM

Aug 2009
Chelle said:
Would have loved to have had this man's "big-lipped babies" back in the day:

Yep, he was definitely yummy!
Oct 28, 2009 6:25 AM

Aug 2006
I like him, I love him, I want some more of him. ^_^ ♥♥Tim McGraw♥♥

Oct 28, 2009 11:47 AM

Jun 2009
Looks like you guys were on a huge country kick there.

This is a completely switch in the conversation...a new theme. These are the songs that turned out to be the faves at my jam session last week:

[EDIT]

Oops! I forgot these, which were added to our group's Learning List:

One more, this is one of those pieces the choir and I said, "Oh CRAP! You want us to learn THAT?" to the director; but man, it's going to totally rock once it all comes together. It's by far my fave out of all the choir repertoire I'm working on:

Rukia13Oct 28, 2009 12:12 PM
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Oct 28, 2009 2:52 PM

Dec 2008
AccipiterF1 said:
Anyway Krimson, I see your Voivod, and raise you some White Zombie:
And I raise the stakes with a Full House (3 queens and a pair of princes):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRt7nk07fFY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FMTprSEbF4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnrXiaPVeHY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MW4-aK4IjM
Oct 28, 2009 3:36 PM

Sep 2008
Nothing beats the Ace of Spades

Oct 28, 2009 4:02 PM

Dec 2008
AccipiterF1 said:
Nothing beats the Ace of Spades
Four of a kind does.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEvJLbTeQoM
Oct 28, 2009 5:00 PM

Aug 2006
Well, that beats my ♥Two of a Kind♥

Oct 28, 2009 5:32 PM

Sep 2009
here's some timely advice, I'd like you all to take to heart in the midst of your game here

;-P
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The Heroic Legend of Arslan (2015) - May 2024 Group Watch

whiteflame55 - May 19

40 by jdvz »»
4 hours ago

» Secret of Cerulean Sand (2002) ( 1 2 )

whiteflame55 - Apr 26

72 by 23feanor »»
May 23, 12:50 AM

Sticky: » Discuss the Series You Just Finished ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Jul 27, 2009

2912 by 23feanor »»
May 22, 10:27 PM

Sticky: » New Member Introductions ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Chelle - Oct 3, 2009

836 by Evans_Born »»
May 21, 5:09 PM

» Kobato (2009) - April 2024 Group Watch ( 1 2 )

23feanor - Apr 2

54 by filifjonkan »»
May 6, 7:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.