Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 30, 8:01 PM

Mar 2021
I have the impression that Hayao Miyazaki = Studio Ghibli. Although his son also directed some of his films, I feel that Hayao Miyazaki's films are more interesting. I feel that the talent that could succeed him has drifted away from Studio Ghibli. I am marked by the fact that the studio seems to be in decline after he passes away.

I often hear him declare his retirement, but I think he will never retire because I basically believe that he will continue to make films until he dies.

Coming to MAL, for the first time, I was surprised to see many people using images as internet memes of words he never said at all.

The anime was a mistake. it is nothing but garbage.
Those who identify as "otaku",they sicken me deeply.

These are words that the translator added on his own, not his own words.

I have a stronger image of Yoshiyuki Tomino commenting raggedly about anime, not Hayao Miyazaki.

Jul 1, 6:50 AM

May 2021
Haven’t really liked anything Miyazaki has made since 1995, though the studio’s output from before then are 100% classics, and the non-Miyazaki directors at the studio have made some great stuff since then as well
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Jul 1, 6:31 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
Among the best that the medium has to offer.
Jul 1, 6:57 PM

Jul 2023
I know little about Miyazaki as a person, just a bit from clips I've seen of him, and most of those would be 20+ years old now. He seems like a passionate man, and I think that his success and his studio's success are good evidence of said passion. He also struck me as a sentimental and sensitive sort of fellow, though if I had to guess he also has some cutthroat business sensibilities. As for Ghibli as a studio, I've watched a share of their productions and most of those are among my favorite pieces of media, from animation to soundtracks. I have not watched any of the more recent works from the studio, with Howl's Moving Castle being the last thing I watched some years ago now, so I haven't anything more to say regarding their recent works, successes, and failures.
Jul 3, 9:00 AM

Jul 2021
I don't know if this is a weird take or a triggering one: to me, Ghibli and Miyazaki movies aren't "anime." They're just... movies. That are animated.

I've been watching Ghibli movies long before I started watching anime, and I just can't think of those movies as "anime" in my head. I admit I used to think they were "better than anime," but as I've watched more anime I no longer think that. But I still feel like they're "something else."

I've watched most of the movies from Ghibli, barring 2-3. Many of the movies are dear to my heart. Spirited Away is one of my favorites. Some of them I didn't really enjoy (most of them post-Spirited Away).

As for the studio and the man himself, at this point they feel like relics from a bygone era (not meaning it as an insult). It feels like they're stubbornly holding on to a style and a set of values that already disappeared 20+ years ago. Maybe that's to do with Miyazaki's iron grip on the studio. But even if Ghibli were to change and move on, I wonder if they can still preserve their strengths and their unique identity. A lot of the time, thinking about them just makes me sad.
Jul 3, 9:41 AM

Jul 2013
It is good. That is all I will say about it.
Yesterday, 6:59 AM

Jan 2018
not every movie unfortunately but when the story is palatable then it would be a blast if watching in cinema. i don't like being cold in cinema so i'm happy that at least one or two ghibli stuff is actually enjoyable. i don't really dig into people's life but when they are successful i feel happy for them.

Yesterday, 7:19 AM

Feb 2024
"What do you think of Hayao Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli?"

I think it's the best source material for some bizarre fantasies.

On a more serious note, I grew up with some of his movies, Totoro is my neighbour as he lives deep in my heart.
LoveYourSmileYesterday, 7:22 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Why are magical girls so popular among adult men? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2, 2022

73 by Absurdo_N »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Your Top 10 anime vs Top 10 none anime animation?

APolygons2 - 5 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Who's the most beautiful "Pure" character and who's the hottest "Bad girl" in anime?

TheBlockernator - 1 hour ago

2 by APolygons2 »»
21 minutes ago

» Are you a completionist and if you were (but not anymore), what made you stop?

MoKris - 2 hours ago

11 by Memore »»
33 minutes ago

» 🌸 AD Spring 2024 Best Girl Contest & Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Shizuna - Jul 1

313 by TRC_Randy »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.