Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »
Mar 13, 2023 12:26 PM

Jul 2022
Loved everything about the ending and how it's up for the viewers' perception BUT I really wanted to know their real names :(

Anyway this anime is a strong 10/10. Some moments and episodes might have been slightly dragged out, however everything else makes up for it so it's still a 10!
Mar 18, 2023 2:21 PM

Dec 2021
amazing show 10/10

Mar 20, 2023 5:22 PM

Jul 2022
OMG MDF, The last thing Johan said to Tenma in the "hallucination" left me practically the same as Tenma at that moment and I'm not exaggerating.

Although I would love that "hallucination" to be real, it's an extremely good twist, man, it stunned me with tears coming out and when Tenma started to pant I was almost the same as him, I've felt similar things with some anime but never like this .
Mar 23, 2023 6:58 PM
Jun 2017
Gotta say, the scene where Johan wakes up out of nowhere was way better in the manga, that shit actually scared the shit out of me on the manga but overall the anime and manga it's a masterpiece
Mar 26, 2023 8:37 AM
Nov 2020
The last part of the show is for sure the peak of the series, it was boring but im satisfied with the ending 
Apr 9, 2023 2:22 AM

Aug 2019
Bruh, my soul left my body for a second during the Johan scene lmao

Tenma saved Johan again, but this time Tenma was able to tell Johan his name. Tenma is an exceptional individual who stayed true to his ideals to the bitter end.
Apr 13, 2023 10:17 PM

Apr 2014
This last episode was pretty much worthless aside from Tenma meeting the twins mother. Johan escaping at the last second was kinda frustrating

Apr 14, 2023 7:52 AM
Apr 2023
Sakagami_Tomoyo said:
This last episode was pretty much worthless aside from Tenma meeting the twins mother. Johan escaping at the last second was kinda frustrating

It's ambigious if he actually escaped or the hospital scene was Tenma's imagination at the end.
Apr 18, 2023 12:54 PM
Apr 2023
Overpriced. The story is of the top, but it's too long and sometime tiresome !
Apr 18, 2023 9:38 PM

Jun 2022
this is by large and far the most boring story in existence, didn't think anything could be worse than vinland saga but here we are
Apr 20, 2023 6:39 PM
Apr 2022
Amazing ending. Johan regained his humanity. Thus the rumpled bed.
May 14, 2023 7:23 AM
Mar 2023
This was an outstanding series. Tense, dramatic, and more than a few likable characters
May 23, 2023 10:16 PM
May 2023
Story 10/10, hands down one of my top 10 favorites, if not, top 3.
Jun 6, 2023 8:36 AM

Oct 2022
Tenma was also terrified seeing Johan's face and what is the actual meaning of the last scene.

Did Johan again set out to cause havoc or something else. But, the whole series was just amazing. Even the characters that seemed uninterested at first later changed and so did my opinion on them. Like - Lunge or Eva (imo).

Truly a 10/10.
Jun 6, 2023 9:54 AM
Jul 2022
"Monster" es una espectacular serie anime poco convencional. Es una serie adulta basada en el excelente, exitoso y premiado manga de Naoki Urasawa, al que le es fiel de principio a fin. El manga es grandioso, así que el anime no puede ser menos, además hay que añadirle otros factores muy importantes. La música es excelente, en cada uno de los 74 episodios la música me asombraba.

El Dr. Kenzo Tenma es el protagonista de "Monster". Tenma busca a un joven a quien salvó la vida en el quirófano tiempo atrás, lo busca para asesinarlo, ya que sospecha que Johan es el causante de multitud de muertes. A su vez, Tenma es perseguido por la policía, ya que es el principal sospechoso de los crímenes cometidos por Johan.

"Monster" es una gran serie de intriga y suspense que gustará, sin duda, también a aquellos que no son fans del anime ni el manga. Yo he seguido esta serie capítulo a capítulo junto a otra persona a quien no le gusta el anime, y esta serie le ha enganchado de principio a fin.

En 74 episodios da tiempo a contar numerosas historias paralelas, con numerosos personajes nuevos, muchos de los cuales son sencillamente inmensos. Puede que tanta trama haga confusa la serie, pero eso no quita que sea muy satisfactoria.

Entre los mejores personajes, yo me quedaría con el mismo Johan, el monstruo a quien busca Tenma, que a pesar de no salir mucho, su presencia en el anime y en el manga es muy fuerte; El Inspector Heinrich Lunge, quien va detrás de Tenma durante gran parte de la serie; Robeto, el matón de Johan; Wolfang Grimmer y su "Steiner el Magnífico"; y también, claro está, Kenzo Tenma, un personaje dolorido, cansado pero bondadoso, en ocasiones tan bondadoso que apetece darle dos buenas ostias. Otros buenos personajes son los de Eva Heinemann, ex prometida de Tenma, y Anna Liebheart la hermana gemela de Johan, o Martin quien hace un corto papel como guardaespaldas de Eva.

Grandiosa serie, con muy buen dibujo, una ambientación perfecta y una música que quita el habla. Escalofriante, tensa, compleja, algo confusa pero soberbia. Una gran serie.
Jun 6, 2023 10:12 AM

Oct 2022
Sbgga said:
Urahara_Benihime said:
Tenma was also terrified seeing Johan's face and what is the actual meaning of the last scene.

We are not sure if what he saw was Johan's face or an empty bed.
Ya.. I also think Tenma was hallucinating Johan's face, now that I think about it.
Jun 6, 2023 10:25 AM

Oct 2022
Sbgga said:
Urahara_Benihime said:
Ya.. I also think Tenma was hallucinating Johan's face, now that I think about it.

If we take Another Monster into account Johan is still in the hospital but the murders continue.
What's Another Monster ? I thought the series ended after this episode.
Jun 24, 2023 12:28 AM

Mar 2016
The final episode has come, here we finally see the aftermath after the massacre of Ruhenheim. Our beloved characters are all living their life now, hell even someone as difficult as Eva managed to get their life sorted out. Best of all is without a doubt that with Lunge's explanation of Johan's intricate strings of killing, he shone a light upon what is known as Europe's largest serial killings and eventually Tenma's innocence. Yeah, all the authorities better apologized to Tenma after all the bullshit they put him through. 

Tenma's meeting with the twins' mother is the penultimate thing Tenma needed to do regarding the twins' case. There he finally learned of the Twins' real names that were never properly given to them. Something that would have saved them and countless lives from being lost, potentially.

And at last, 1 final meeting with Johan, just Tenma and him. I have no doubt that Johan was awake the entire time and I'm sure when Johan was talking to Tenma, that was not a dream.

The plot of Monster really started on the basis of conflicting philosophies:
One of which is Johan's belief that not all lives are equal, an ideal based on his experiences, most notably how at one time when their mother was planning to give out one of the twins to be taken to be experimented on in the Rose Mansion, their mother hesitated as to which twin was to be given to them. Which one of them is truly more valuable to herself? 
On the other hand, we have Tenma's ideals that all lives are equal, based on his experiences, most notable that if he were to prioritize certain people's lives, the lives that he did not tend to will cease to be and the consequences will haunt him for his unfair triage. 

Johan meeting Tenma in the parking lot at the beginning of the series is the start of their 'competition' to see which one's philosophies are 'right'. There Johan stated his ideology and Tenma did the same. All lives are equal vs not all lives are equal. Now skip forward to the previous episode at the final standoff... Johan is aware of the journey Tenma has gone through, seeing the darkness of society and all the despair certain foul individuals have caused to so many others, so he's sure that Tenma would pull the trigger because by then, Tenma's perspective would have changed compared to how naive he was at the beginning when their competition started. Johan's expectation is subverted the moment he assumes everything is going according to his calculation. An element of extreme unpredictability came out of nowhere that transcend Johan's god-like planning. That singular key factor is the catalyst for Johan's failure.

Instead of Tenma killing Johan as Johan would hope did happen, he saved him a second time, which cements Johan's defeat. From now on, I'd imagine Johan has accepted that and is living his life no longer than he was before. If the standoff were just a bit longer, Tenma would eventually have shot Johan, but thanks to that random factor, that never came to be and so, by that, Tenma's philosophy that all lives are equal is the winning ideology. Something which will stay with Johan for the rest of his life.

With this, Johan's character has changed. Johan is the kind of person who has their character based on their goals, and once those goals are shattered, Johan changed. Not the cold-blooded mastermind as he once was. Not because he can't do it anymore, but because he has no reason/desire to do it anymore. I wonder what he'll do from here on out. He'll probably be part of the parliament, a president can't act like a king. With Johan's charisma, he can sway the majority of the parliament to take action for the country according to Johan's wishes and since he's "friends" with Christof the young politician, Johan could control the country through Christof w/o difficulties. Who knows what he'd do, but as I stated, 1 thing is for sure. He lost against Tenma's philosophy. 

The last shot where we see an empty bed might be symbolic of a Monster that is no longer there OR a monster that was never there in the first place. The ending is as good a closure as I'd wanted it to be, very concerte in showing what happened to the rest of the main cast but vague enough to leave some key aspects to the audience's own interpretation. Well done Monster.
Jul 13, 2023 5:53 AM

Sep 2014
I have been trying and trying to watch this series for years. It has never been available anywhere except youtube, where it gets removed constantly. But now it's on Netflix and I FINALLY finished it. What a show.
While I couldn't help but say "no wayyy" when the episode ended the way it did, I couldn't think of any better way to end the series.
There is a part of me that can't understand the forgiveness of Johan, because he quite literally indirectly (and directly) murdered the population of a small town and then some. Instilled horrific beliefs in children and adults alike as well. But... at the same time, the point is.. who is to blame, really? It is a show that takes into account Nature vs. Nurture at its core. In this case, nurture had a tight, unforgiving grasp on all of the characters affected by Poppe's experiments.
Excellent show, excellent finale. So glad to finally have experienced it all.
Jul 13, 2023 6:17 AM
Jul 2023
StarryyChai said:
I have been trying and trying to watch this series for years. It has never been available anywhere except youtube, where it gets removed constantly.

If you think that way your experience with anime sites must be pretty limited.
Jul 13, 2023 6:38 AM

Sep 2014
Daarts said:
StarryyChai said:
I have been trying and trying to watch this series for years. It has never been available anywhere except youtube, where it gets removed constantly.

Okay, I didn't really ask but most of the sites I checked never had this show. I'm also not trying to get a virus on a site full of ads. Keep this discussion about the episode. Thanks.
Jul 13, 2023 6:43 AM
Jul 2023
StarryyChai said:
Daarts said:

Okay, I didn't really ask but most of the sites I checked never had this show. I'm also not trying to get a virus on a site full of ads. Keep this discussion about the episode. Thanks.

Thanks for telling you don't know how to use torrent.
Jul 13, 2023 6:43 AM

Sep 2014
Daarts said:
StarryyChai said:

um..
🤓🤓🤓 you are a degen
Jul 13, 2023 6:54 AM
Jul 2023
StarryyChai said:
Daarts said:

um..
🤓🤓🤓 you are a degen

And you are apparently immature.
Jul 13, 2023 7:04 AM

Sep 2014
Daarts said:
StarryyChai said:

um..
🤓🤓🤓 you are a degen

And yet, the "immature" one tried to cease off-topic discussion. You, the most mature MAL user of all, reply unnecessarily to my post - inciting argument and creating negativity. Surely, I am so immature, where you are the most wise and influential forum poster of all time. Stop replying to me. You are a baby.
Jul 13, 2023 7:08 AM
Jul 2023
StarryyChai said:
Daarts said:

And yet, the "immature" one tried to cease off-topic discussion. You, the most mature MAL user of all, reply unnecessarily to my post - inciting argument and creating negativity. Surely, I am so immature, where you are the most wise and influential forum poster of all time. Stop replying to me. You are a baby.

Thanks for proving me right, and what I made was a simple statement based on the observation of your comment, it was you who took it negatively for no good reason.
Jul 14, 2023 9:44 AM

Aug 2020
StarryyChai said:
There is a part of me that can't understand the forgiveness of Johan
Oh i don't think he ever wished for forgiveness itfp. Remember when Nina came running to Ruhenheim with Gillen when she arrived she said to Johan "i forgive you" and he said "no, it's too late" it's almost like he thought since there'd be no more redeeming himself he might just go out with a bang hence his perfect suicide plan.
Jul 14, 2023 6:12 PM
Jan 2022
An actual masterpiece. So many episodes feel like there was the same effort put into them as an entire Miyazaki film. It is a twist-filled murder mystery that keeps you on your toes nonstop all the way to the very end and even psyches you out with a perfect ending!
Jul 15, 2023 11:15 AM

Mar 2021
Good series, bad ending.
Jul 25, 2023 8:32 AM
Jul 2023
this is the definition of peak fiction
Jul 26, 2023 1:35 PM
Jun 2016
great ppolicial case
Aug 8, 2023 3:16 AM
May 2017
Even though I wished the story ended like the one Klaus Poppe wrote of the savior of the monster killing him but this one was alright. But the ending was one big of a twist. His mother let one of his children go. The part the broke him.
Aug 17, 2023 2:49 PM
May 2021
10/10 show, finally finished it after planned to watch it for a long time! Breathtaking!!
Aug 27, 2023 12:26 AM

Nov 2020
My, Oh my, what a wonderful series.

I have essentially zero complaints for most of the story, the pacing, the characters, the sound design of this anime are all simply just wonderful. 

I suppose my only problem would be with the ending. While the vague, "happy" ending is certainty nice, I feel that it would've have been more compelling for Tenma to be the one to actually bust a cap into Johan's brain, rather than have him get third-partied by some rando. Honestly, Johan not dying just doesn't sit right with me, I believe Johan dying by Tenma's hand would've wrapped up this story in a more appropriately tragic, yet satisfying way, especially after everyone in this story has gone through. Of course, Monster's underlying theme is about human life and asking if it's truly worth something, anything, to the point where there is meaning in someone deciding give or take it away. Tenma, being who he is, naturally saves the boy again, the same boy that had put him and hundreds, maybe even thousands, of people through so much turmoil after saving him the first time around, because he has no right to choose to take it away. So, the ending isn't exactly illogical.

Me, personally though, I'd pull the trigger. But Johan could probably just stare at me for a while and I would pee my pants in terror and then die.

Also,
Sep 3, 2023 3:28 PM
Jul 2021
Legendary episodes \ written knitted \ Great content \ Legendary characters \ Iconic villain
Sep 5, 2023 4:17 AM
Oct 2022
NOT BAD , BUT ALSO NOT PERFECT AS I THOUGHT
Sep 6, 2023 2:40 PM

Apr 2022
Incredible series and ending, started off slow but last episodes was worth it all. 10/10

Thankfully Tenma didn't give up on his ideals and didn't end up as a murderer. Wish we could learn their real names but IK that's not the point, Anna embraced Nina Fortner and Johan learned his real name, that's the end of the Monster. Thanks Urasawa it didn't end like Poppe's books.

My top characters are Tenma, Grimmer and Johan (how suprising lol). Will read the manga at some point as well, this story deserves it.

Sep 20, 2023 2:13 AM

Mar 2010
Finished watching it yesterday as well, reading over all recent episode postings in this forum. What a great Anime. Some very strong characters in this show: Grimmer, Runge, Johan just to name some. I think the way Johan was presented in here makes him either the best or one of the very best antagonists in Anime ever.

Although I don't particularly like the many unanswered questions at the very end. For example Tenma hallucinating about the decision from the twins mother to give away one child. Was it for real and did the mother tell him this when they did met before or is it just pure imagination from Tenma? Was it really the reason Johan used to be the monster? Was it really his unrevealed memory? We don't even know.

Also is the cycle ongoing when Johan seemingly left the hospital or is Johan gonna life a peaceful life now? It's all left rather open, which is a reoccuring stilistic in art, however I'm not a big fan of it. You might interpret anything into it.

But this show for sure is a 9/10 or 10/10. I rated it 9/10. Has some epic moments, emotional scenes, deep characters and story development.
Sep 26, 2023 8:38 AM

Mar 2010
@Sicisll Yup exactly what I was saying in my first posting here. This is why I was questioning it in the first place whether or not it was a hallucination or not. As I wasn't sure myself.

However as you can see the Anime wiki interpretation leans more towards the hallucination theory for some reason.

I think btw too it's an 50/50 interpretation ending and there is no definite answer.
Oct 1, 2023 7:22 AM
Apr 2022
I still don't know exactly that Johan's existence but still W.
Oct 5, 2023 12:37 AM

Jan 2023
It's an ending that's intriguing. I don't know why, but I have the impression that Johan doesn't really exist, it's strange. I liked the ending.
Oct 5, 2023 12:52 PM
Apr 2018
Greatest mystery and drama anime i have seen, very full
Oct 7, 2023 1:01 PM
Oct 2021
i didn't get what were Johan & Nina's real names that their mother told Temma in the last scene?
Oct 10, 2023 5:35 PM
Sep 2023
this series was truly a nearly nonstop rollercoaster of suspense and mystery w/ a nice balance of relaxed quiet happy moments I cant believe its taken me so long to actually watch this series but I'm glad I finally did ^^ 9/10
Oct 17, 2023 1:51 AM
Sep 2021
Anime completed, 10/10.
That last shot of Johan in the bed talking to Tenma and the way he was staring scares the shit out of me.
And Johan escaping the hospital is literally linking back to the first few episodes, its like history is going to repeat itself.
Seriously, this is probably my favorite anime of all time.
Oct 21, 2023 8:57 AM
Oct 2020
endingnya johan malah kabur dari rumah sakit. bagus animenya jam 9 malam tgl 20 oktober 2023 menamatkan anime berjudul Monster
Oct 21, 2023 8:57 AM
Oct 2020
endingnya johan malah kabur dari rumah sakit. bagus animenya jam 9 malam tgl 20 oktober 2023 menamatkan anime berjudul Monster
Oct 29, 2023 11:00 AM

Aug 2008
9/10. I think this show is overall a fantastic story, watching Tenma and others unravel the mystery of Johan and his origins and goals. I do think this anime will be a one time watch though, now that I know how the twists will play out I don't think this slow burn will work on a second watch. I'm glad I finally took the time to watch this though.

I do wish this was a a bit shorter though, I think there were times it felt as if Monster was dragging things out, going over a piece of information multiple times could have used the time elsewhere at least. I wish Nina was a bit stronger of mind, being the twin of Johan I wanted to see conviction going in a direction to oppose Johan but alas. I wish that blond detective in Prague would have met the real Nina as well, he was disturbed at thinking that the girl (Johan though he didn't know that) he fell in love with could be a killer but there was never a resolution to that.

I can see why Johan is ranked as one of the best villains in anime, his quiet and calm demeaner and what can seem causing random acts of violence is more terrifying than the typical. Inspiring other crazy murderers to do his bidding. Seeing all the other monsters spring up only adds to the tension. I'd certainly give this a recommendation!
Nov 4, 2023 5:51 AM
Apr 2023
Johan waking up gave me a jumpscare, amazing ep.
Nov 7, 2023 5:22 AM
Nov 2021
pyschological anime best suspense mindblowing
goosebumps johan character is lit mind turning
Pages (14) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monster Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 4, 2008

109 by Xviyy »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Monster Episode 30 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Trie - Mar 8, 2008

183 by iamragnar »»
Yesterday, 6:00 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 29 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 9, 2008

198 by iamragnar »»
Yesterday, 5:32 AM

Poll: » Monster Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kayro - Apr 5, 2008

163 by a5ga5p »»
Sep 20, 2:25 PM

Poll: » Monster Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Kayro - Apr 7, 2008

136 by iamragnar »»
Sep 20, 8:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.